Cut Geno

johnnyjet

6 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Heres what I dont get, what the eff did you Geno supportes see in him when he played.  he is horrible.  I mean did you watch the oakland game when he came in for Fitz.  he is just a stupid QB. He has no field sense.  He just doesnt get it.  running down the sideline the moron gets blasted out of bounds instead of stepping out.  his arm strength is all he has.  HE IS NOT A STARTING NFL QB.  With the brutal schedule the Jets will be lucky to win 4 games if hes the starter  Hes not a leader, hes not a field general, he has no command of the offense and most importantly he does not have the support or respect of his teamates.  keep rooting for this loser, he will never be a sucess in the NFL. I rather watch Petty, or Hack.

I agree completely and to add to what you're saying........

The ultimate test for a QB is can he ELEVATE the play of the rest of the team. That is the ultimate, true test for any QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick ELEVATED the play of several players that otherwise be on the fringe of not making the roster. Fitz elevated the play of guys like Quincy Enunwa, Kenbrell Thompkins, and to a lesser extent Bilal Powell. Powel was already a pretty good player, but Fitz found ways that made him much more effective than he ever had been in the past. He was our running game down the stretch last season.

Geno has NEVER elevated the play of any player he's ever played with. I suppose he may have at West Virginia, but he's never done it even once for any player since he's been a Jet. That right there, is probably the biggest thing that separates Fitz from Geno. Fitz has it all over Geno from that standpoint.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

The ultimate test for a QB is can he ELEVATE the play of the rest of the team. That is the ultimate, true test for any QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick ELEVATED the play of several players that otherwise be on the fringe of not making the roster. Fitz elevated the play of guys like Quincy Enunwa, Kenbrell Thompkins, and to a lesser extent Bilal Powell. Powel was already a pretty good player, but Fitz found ways that made him much more effective than he ever had been in the past. He was our running game down the stretch last season.

Geno has NEVER elevated the play of any player he's ever played with. I suppose he may have at West Virginia, but he's never done it even once for any player since he's been a Jet. That right there, is probably the biggest thing that separates Fitz from Geno. Fitz has it all over Geno from that standpoint.

NEVER!

5 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Even the thought is ludicrous. It's like.... Oh yeah the players are going to run through walls for the guy they hope to punch in the face some day? LOL

That players will support anyone that can help them win because that will make them more money.

So if Geno proves that he can get the job done, he will have all the support he needs.

7 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Even the thought is ludicrous. It's like.... Oh yeah the players are going to run through walls for the guy they hope to punch in the face some day? LOL

What would it look like if a teammate's play was elevated? Would it look like a higher-priced WR - despite getting injured mid-game - having by far the best game of his career against a top-10 pass defense?

They can't run through Walls anyway because we don't play Detroit.

20 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Are you saying WRs don't turn his crappy off-target throws into completions like they do for Fitz?

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

And how many players want to punch him in the face?  You would know this how? 

If Geno outplays Fitz and they think Geno can win more games they'd rather punch Fitz 

On June 5, 2016 at 7:11 AM, johnnyjet said:

And just give Fitz the money.   The sooner we rid ourselves of this bum the better. He gives sh*tty QBs a bad name. 

+1

Hate him.  He's Inverse Chad Pennington.  Nice arm, no brain.

SAR I

7 hours ago, jetrider said:

Are you saying WRs don't turn his crappy off-target throws into completions like they do for Fitz?

just so you're aware there are plenty of WR's in the NFL who turn bad throws into completions. Sometimes QB's will put a ball in a given spot rather than throw it away hoping their WR's will make such a play. I'm not saying Fitz does this all the time but I'm sure he does it as all QB's do.

I'm really starting to get the feeling that most people here only watch the Jets and ESPN highlights.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

just so you're aware there are plenty of WR's in the NFL who turn bad throws into completions. Sometimes QB's will put a ball in a given spot rather than throw it away hoping their WR's will make such a play. I'm not saying Fitz does this all the time but I'm sure he does it as all QB's do.

I'm really starting to get the feeling that most people here only watch the Jets and ESPN highlights.

Yeah, it otherwise would not have occurred to me to think that people would come here to talk Jets football without actually watching the games.  But then I read the posts from Smith Fans, and I have to think they do that.

As for the OP's post, I agree.  Smith has already shown he has no significant upside, and therefore is a waste of a roster space.  He's also a distraction.  Get rid of him.

While I am more confident that Fitz will give us stability and better leadership this year, I'm not so down on Geno as many posters here. Geno actually represents a pretty decent back up QB, which, despite the couple of poor decisions he made, was shown in the Oakland game. The bad thing with Geno is that he was thrown into being the starter and now has a chip on his shoulder that he's not favored for the role. That can create tensions in the locker room, or it can create healthy competition. Let's see how it plays out. For now, I can't imagine cutting Geno. Petty isn't prepared to step in to the backup yet.

8 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

While I am more confident that Fitz will give us stability and better leadership this year, I'm not so down on Geno as many posters here. Geno actually represents a pretty decent back up QB, which, despite the couple of poor decisions he made, was shown in the Oakland game. The bad thing with Geno is that he was thrown into being the starter and now has a chip on his shoulder that he's not favored for the role. That can create tensions in the locker room, or it can create healthy competition. Let's see how it plays out. For now, I can't imagine cutting Geno. Petty isn't prepared to step in to the backup yet.

Maybe I am reading this post the wrong way, but Old Angel Eyes would never hedge his bets like that .

On June 5, 2016 at 5:44 PM, joewilly12 said:

NEITHER IS RYAN FITZPATRICK 32 NFL TEAMS JUST SAID NO!!!!!

Seems to me he is, and by stats he was not the worst full time starter in the NFL. Now back to my point.   What on Gods green earth did you see to make you think that this clown Geno has what it takes to start.  Even NFL analysts have seen nothing, but some of you know better? He is what he is.  A mistake pick by a moron GM. The sooner he is gone from the Jets the better.

23 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Yeah, it otherwise would not have occurred to me to think that people would come here to talk Jets football without actually watching the games.  But then I read the posts from Smith Fans, and I have to think they do that.

As for the OP's post, I agree.  Smith has already shown he has no significant upside, and therefore is a waste of a roster space.  He's also a distraction.  Get rid of him.

Explain how he's a distraction.   You know being the only viable QB in camp while your guy is the topic of conversation over every football show, Jets article etc..

Guess when you worship at the Fitz altar Geno quietly going about his work, impressing coaches, players and media with his play is annoying and really a major distraction.

its bad enough Fitz fans are afraid to have their conquering hero go head to head with Geno now they're making up new reasons Geno needs to go

lol, the biggest distraction, all offseason, is Fitz and his contract demands. 

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Explain how he's a distraction.   You know being the only viable QB in camp while your guy is the topic of conversation over every football show, Jets article etc..

Guess when you worship at the Fitz altar Geno quietly going about his work, impressing coaches, players and media with his play is annoying and really a major distraction.

its bad enough Fitz fans are afraid to have their conquering hero go head to head with Geno now they're making up new reasons Geno needs to go

lol, the biggest distraction, all offseason, is Fitz and his contract demands. 

Just give up on the worship business. I have no particular interest in RF, he's just better than your hero.  I'd take pretty much anyone over Smith.

As for distraction, missing team meetings, acting po'd on the sidelines, throwing pick sixes, the whole IK thing - it's obvious to me the other players do not respect him, and when you add in his very limited and very unlikely upside potential, there's no good reason to focus on him at all.  And of course I disagree with your use of the term viable.  Viable for what?  Sucking big time?  I get that Petty and Hackenberg are young and probably not ready.   But that doesn't make Smith any better.  He sucks.

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Just give up on the worship business. I have no particular interest in RF, he's just better than your hero.  I'd take pretty much anyone over Smith.

As for distraction, missing team meetings, acting po'd on the sidelines, throwing pick sixes, the whole IK thing - it's obvious to me the other players do not respect him, and when you add in his very limited and very unlikely upside potential, there's no good reason to focus on him at all.  And of course I disagree with your use of the term viable.  Viable for what?  Sucking big time?  I get that Petty and Hackenberg are young and probably not ready.   But that doesn't make Smith any better.  He sucks.

See the Fitzoids are either clueless or just refuse to address people on point.  I keep saying over and over that I want a head to head open competition, best man wins. I think between his learning curve and the influx of talent we will see a different geno.  If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  You guys can't even get the point right.  You want to turn it into worship.  As a weapon against Geno and a lame defense of Fitz.  You guys want him overpaid, here at any cost, the immediate starter and Geno cut.

but wanting open comp makes me the fanboy.  Try again

Like your lame distraction comment, self serving to get rid of the comp.  missed meetings?  2 years ago?  INT?  2 years ago?  While you're fine apparently with Fitz ending a season with 3 distractions?  Lol  PO'don the sidelines? Now you're a shrink knowing what's in someone's head.  While your guy is the topic of every offseason news item.  While players who are on vacation become accomplices, every coach and player left to answer for Fitz while he holds out threatening first retirement and then to sign somewhere else.  But hey  you love him.  That's leadership, that's not a distraction.  Lol

4 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

So in your eyes a rookie should be able to come into this league and excell like a Andrew luck ? Even with a weak O geno had to endure ? That they aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes ? A 2nd rd pick qb should never had been given the keys his 1st yr. 

all the players seem to say they notice a big difference in geno. That sucker punch was probably the best thing for him.. He knows he may get the golden opportunity that fitz got last yr.. To play qb with two excellent WRs, and a OC who plays to your strengths. A strong D that is going to keep giving you good field position and keep you in games. Fitz would have been bellow average on just about every other team last yr.. Although I think geno can do just as well, I still would like fitz back because as of no we don't have a #2. We have two young projects who are for this season #3's at best. Who cannot be 1 snap away from being the everyday starter.. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So in your eyes a rookie should be able to come into this league and excell like a Andrew luck ? Even with a weak O geno had to endure ?That they aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes ? all the players seem to say they notice a big difference in geno. That sucker punch was probably the best thing for him.. He knows he may get the golden opportunity that fitz got last yr.. To play qb with two excellent WRs, and a OC who plays to your strengths. A strong D that is going to keep giving you good field position and keep you in games. Fitz would have been bellow average on just about every other team last yr.. Although I think geno can do just as well, I still would like fitz back because as of no we don't have a #2. We have two young projects who are #3 at best. Who cannot be 1 snap away from being the everyday starter.. 

Agreed on preferring to have Fitz back to play the role he's best at (backup).  But not at 8-12mil.  I'd prefer rolling the dice with Petty or Hack as the #2, and hope they're not needed for a while.

Best bet is to pull the offer and then see what offers Fitz gets as a backup.  My guess is a bunch of 3-4mil offers would come in for Fitz.  Then try to match or slightly beat them.  Even if it means waiting until late August as Fitz waits to see if there's an injury to some other team's starter, in hopes of getting a better deal.  

(Our luck it'll be Geno who gets hurt and we'll still have to pay Fitz big.)

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Agreed on preferring to have Fitz back to play the role he's best at (backup).  But not at 8-12mil.  I'd prefer rolling the dice with Petty or Hack as the #2, and hope they're not needed for a while.

Best bet is to pull the offer and then see what offers Fitz gets as a backup.  My guess is a bunch of 3-4mil offers would come in for Fitz.  Then try to match or slightly beat them.  Even if it means waiting until late August as Fitz waits to see if there's an injury to some other team's starter, in hopes of getting a better deal.  

(Our luck it'll be Geno who gets hurt and we'll still have to pay Fitz big.)

There is no way Fitz is going to be Geno's backup. Even Geno's mother in an honest moment doesn't believe that. If so why didn't Gailey start Geno when he came back and Fitz was operating with a broken left wrist something most but obviously not all Jets fans appreciated. Bowles made it very clear last season that Fitz was his starter. He had every chance in the world to make a change if he wanted to. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There is no way Fitz is going to be Geno's backup. Even Geno's mother in an honest moment doesn't believe that. If so why didn't Gailey start Geno when he came back and Fitz was operating with a broken left wrist something most but obviously not all Jets fans appreciated. Bowles made it very clear last season that Fitz was his starter. He had every chance in the world to make a change if he wanted to. 

You are right. Fitz is a FA, geno is signed under a nice rookie deal. Fitz won't signed back unless he is given the 1st op to start. But that doesn't mean he can easily get pulled after 3-4 games of poor play. Remember fitz was throwing a lot of picks last yr mid season, there was geno talk. And fitz waited to have the surgery when they had the long 10 day break was it ? He wasn't about to sit a game and give geno a 2nd chance. Fitz owes Ike half of what he may collect this yr. without that punch fitz may be retired. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You are right. Fitz is a FA, geno is signed under a nice rookie deal. Fitz won't signed back unless he is given the 1st op to start. But that doesn't mean he can easily get pulled after 3-4 games of poor play. Remember fitz was throwing a lot of picks last yr mid season, there was geno talk. And fitz waited to have the surgery when they had the long 10 day break was it ? He wasn't about to sit a game and give geno a 2nd chance. Fitz owes Ike half of what he may collect this yr. without that punch fitz may be retired. 

It sounds like you want Fitz to play poorly. Again if Gailey is as brilliant as some of you say. And the only reason Fitz ran the offense competently. Then why didn't he play Geno if he thinks he's the better Qb. He could have benched Fitz any time him and Bowles wanted to. But he didn't. 

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It sounds like you want Fitz to play poorly. Again if Gailey is as brilliant as some of you say. And the only reason Fitz ran the offense competently. Then why didn't he play Geno if he thinks he's the better Qb. He could have benched Fitz any time him and Bowles wanted to. But he didn't. 

Lol sounds like you are a fitz fan before jets fan. Your assumptions are wrong about what I was saying. If geno had not got punched out he would have been the starter until he played very poorly. It is the same for fitz. You don't yank a qb out for just 1-2 bad games. That's why they didn't when fitz was playing poorly for a few games.. Unless ofcourse a guy is having a huge meltdown like Sanchez has had in the past. fitz obviously had a huge meltdown in buf game, I'm sure if Bowles had that back he would have yanked fitz to take the win they were trying to give us..

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

See the Fitzoids are either clueless or just refuse to address people on point.  I keep saying over and over that I want a head to head open competition, best man wins. I think between his learning curve and the influx of talent we will see a different geno.  If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  You guys can't even get the point right.  You want to turn it into worship.  As a weapon against Geno and a lame defense of Fitz.  You guys want him overpaid, here at any cost, the immediate starter and Geno cut.

but wanting open comp makes me the fanboy.  Try again

Like your lame distraction comment, self serving to get rid of the comp.  missed meetings?  2 years ago?  INT?  2 years ago?  While you're fine apparently with Fitz ending a season with 3 distractions?  Lol  PO'don the sidelines? Now you're a shrink knowing what's in someone's head.  While your guy is the topic of every offseason news item.  While players who are on vacation become accomplices, every coach and player left to answer for Fitz while he holds out threatening first retirement and then to sign somewhere else.  But hey  you love him.  That's leadership, that's not a distraction.  Lol

So, anyone not drinking the Smith Fan Kool Aide is lame.  You are a brick wall when it comes to "discussion." 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So in your eyes a rookie should be able to come into this league and excell like a Andrew luck ? Even with a weak O geno had to endure ? That they aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes ? A 2nd rd pick qb should never had been given the keys his 1st yr. 

all the players seem to say they notice a big difference in geno. That sucker punch was probably the best thing for him.. He knows he may get the golden opportunity that fitz got last yr.. To play qb with two excellent WRs, and a OC who plays to your strengths. A strong D that is going to keep giving you good field position and keep you in games. Fitz would have been bellow average on just about every other team last yr.. Although I think geno can do just as well, I still would like fitz back because as of no we don't have a #2. We have two young projects who are for this season #3's at best. Who cannot be 1 snap away from being the everyday starter.. 

"seem" - Heh.

You don't make a single substantive point.

39 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

So, anyone not drinking the Smith Fan Kool Aide is lame.  You are a brick wall when it comes to "discussion." 

Nope, didnt come close to saying that.

You have a real hard comprehending what is pretty simple and clear.

You missed the entire post and then took out a complaint that calling Geno the distraction when Fitz has been a major distraction a lame excuse.  You roll that around and call it a brick wall.  Whatever makes you feel good.  Pretty much cant dispute a single thing I responded with.  Go back to your Geno sucks talk. Its deep

If Fitz signs he's the starter. That's how it usually works in the NFL and no Qb competition because the FO and the coaching staff say so. He's the incumbent whether you like it or not. If he sucks enter Geno Smith. If Fitz does not sign Bowles has made it clear that next man up is Geno. Same deal for him and no Qb competition. The only time you have a Qb competition is if there is uncertainty usually because the starter played poorly. Not the case.

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If Fitz signs he's the starter. That's how it usually works in the NFL and no Qb competition because the FO and the coaching staff say so. He's the incumbent whether you like it or not. If he sucks enter Geno Smith. If Fitz does not sign Bowles has made it clear that next man up is Geno. Same deal for him and no Qb competition. The only time you have a Qb competition is if there is uncertainty usually because the starter played poorly. Not the case.

Whatever rules you want to dream up have nothing to do with me saying over and over I want to see them compete and someone claiming something different.

And QBs are signed to be brought in for competition all the time.  You get Fitz probably has the job sewn up if he signs.  Doesn't make it right.  Geno was the incumbent and a cliche used just as often the one you just used is that no one loses his job to injury.  So all of this works out fairly simply IF Fitz backs down and signs. He takes to long to come to his senses and Geno keeps impressing teammates and coaches and the jets may be less inclined to deal. 

On June 6, 2016 at 0:34 AM, jetrider said:

Deckers never looked as good as he did in the season ended vs the Dolphins.  As did others.  Guess that didnt couldn't.  Only Fitz has those amazing powers. <_<

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Whatever rules you want to dream up have nothing to do with me saying over and over I want to see them compete and someone claiming something different.

And QBs are signed to be brought in for competition all the time.  You get Fitz probably has the job sewn up if he signs.  Doesn't make it right.  Geno was the incumbent and a cliche used just as often the one you just used is that no one loses his job to injury.  So all of this works out fairly simply IF Fitz backs down and signs. He takes to long to come to his senses and Geno keeps impressing teammates and coaches and the jets may be less inclined to deal. 

Fitz won the job last year and is the preferred Qb for 2016 by the coaching staff. In 2015 there was going to be a Qb competition and Geno as incumbent starter but not a successful one probably had a heads up but not by very much to get the job. But Fitz was recovering from an injury he had with the Texans and then Geno got socked in the jaw. So the competition never really materialized. With most teams there aren't Qb competitions or controversies. They commit to a Qb early. You might not agree but most fans think Fitz won the job, played well and should be the incumbent starter. He should get paid like one, too. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz won the job last year and is the preferred Qb for 2016 by the coaching staff. In 2015 there was going to be a Qb competition and Geno as incumbent starter but not a successful one probably had a heads up but not by very much to get the job. But Fitz was recoverin from an injury he had with the Texans and then Geno got socked in the jaw. So the competition never really materialized. With most teams there aren't Qb competitions or controversies. They commit to a Qb early. You might not agree but most fans think Fotz won the job, played well and should be the incumbent starter. He should get paid like one, too. 

Fitz got the job when Geno was injured.  If not for the punch Fitz wasn't playing.  He was signed to be the backup QB, was told that and Geno was the incumbent QB.  

Yo can tell yourself whatever works for your continues love story with Fitz but Geno was starting week 1.  If he played well we never would have saw Fitz under center.  

24 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz won the job last year and is the preferred Qb for 2016 by the coaching staff. In 2015 there was going to be a Qb competition and Geno as incumbent starter but not a successful one probably had a heads up but not by very much to get the job. But Fitz was recovering from an injury he had with the Texans and then Geno got socked in the jaw. So the competition never really materialized. With most teams there aren't Qb competitions or controversies. They commit to a Qb early. You might not agree but most fans think Fitz won the job, played well and should be the incumbent starter. He should get paid like one, too. 

If fitz isn't here by the start of training camp he no longer earned the Job guaranteed. The jets should also lower their offer at that time. Base of 5 mil. I doubt he is that stupid to not to sign a deal before training camp. I'm sure his agent will take it down to the wire just to be a prick. 

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fitz got the job when Geno was injured.  If not for the punch Fitz wasn't playing.  He was signed to be the backup QB, was told that and Geno was the incumbent QB.  

Yo can tell yourself whatever works for your continues love story with Fitz but Geno was starting week 1.  If he played well we never would have saw Fitz under center.  

Who would have won that job last year we don't know. Fitz was coming off of a broken leg he injured in Dec. You're saying it was definitely Geno, how do you know.  When Geno returned and then Fitz was injured Geno was not named the starting Qb by Bowles. Coaches decision. I'm not a Fitz lover I like the guy. Because he's a tough cat, plays hard, is smart and ran the offense well, gets along with teammates, etc.. It was our best run offense in years. He's not a franchise Qb or your prototypical starting Qb with the big time arm etc. But he gets the job done and is a improved player. 

Archived