Cut Geno

johnnyjet

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

Just to start the season, yes. Once he loses 4 or 5 out of the first 6 games, he'll be done as the starting QB in the NFL. 

Alex Smith lost 5 of his first 6 last year, and still took his team to the play offs.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And when Carl was saying the same thing with Geno as the QB I dont seem to remember the outrage.

Funny how we see and read what we want to see and read.  Its always the other side.  

Carl asked a question, j4j made a prediction clearly to be (for him) hoped for.

The two posts are different in that respect.  You are making an argument of false equivalency.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

The two posts are different in that respect.  You are making an argument of false equivalency.

OK, whatever makes you feel good. You're right no one has posted anything like Geno will go 1-5.  

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, whatever makes you feel good. You're right no one has posted anything like Geno will go 1-5.  

I notice you seem to have trouble keeping track of what the discussion is about.  The subject that you directly addressed, and falsely asserted, was whether Carl said the same thing as j4j.  I pointed out Carl did not say the same thing.  That has nothing to do with my feelings.  It is a fact.

Now if it makes you feel good to complain that some others have posted something that sounds like I hope Smith fails and the Jets lose games IF he gets in there, well yeah you would have a point.  Have at it.

23 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And what happens if Geno starts the season, with no Fitz, and he goes 1-5? Petty time?

Once u start 1-5, does it even matter at that point? It's not like we have Brady coming back from a suspension. 

21 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

a perfect example of how the Smith Fan is a different animal.  Yeah, let's root for THE JETS to lose 4 out of 5.

Rooting, hoping and predicting are three different things. I hope we win 6. I'm rooting for us ever game. But I'm predicting several losses with Fitz to start the year. @nyjunc was right. 

18 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

"Clearly to be hoped for" is a term reserved for people to get a clue what hope and predictions are. Hell, I rooted for Jason Taylor that one year, it doesn't get any worse than rooting for a guy you've hated so badly growing up. 

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

Rooting, hoping and predicting are three different things. I hope we win 6. I'm rooting for us ever game. But I'm predicting several losses with Fitz to start the year. @nyjunc was right. 

junc is right as often as a broken clock, but thanks for clearing up that you are hoping if Fitz is the Qb that the Jets win every game he plays.

21 hours ago, jamesr said:

Alex Smith lost 5 of his first 6 last year, and still took his team to the play offs.

No offense but this might be the worst argument I've ever seen. If Geno had smith's resume of being a consistently good qb of late then sure I see your point. If Brady went 1-5 they wouldn't  bench him. But if a player like Geno, who has had no success and we have no investment in, there is no way they don't bench him. I think 1-5 they probably would bench him sooner. 

On 6/10/2016 at 2:17 PM, jett said:

No offense but this might be the worst argument I've ever seen. If Geno had smith's resume of being a consistently good qb of late then sure I see your point. If Brady went 1-5 they wouldn't  bench him. But if a player like Geno, who has had no success and we have no investment in, there is no way they don't bench him. I think 1-5 they probably would bench him sooner. 

That is an overly simplistic view. The obvious answer is it depends on more than just the record. It depends on the reasons we lost and depends further on what the better of other two looks like. For example, if Hackenberg is still working on his footwork I don't think they'd throw him out there just to throw him out there. If Petty is still working on any number of things that he hasn't mastered outside of a video game, same thing for him. Particularly since - at least so far - neither of them is close to jumping Geno on the depth chart.

As distasteful as you find it, the team thinks quite a bit more highly of him than you do. What I've seen them do is make an offer to Fitzpatrick that he turned down, with no counter offer higher, and drafting 2 project QBs outside the top 50. They made no serious play for Osweiller or Kaepernick. They may have inquired about moving up to draft Goff or Wentz but clearly they didn't make a competitive bid or it would have been leaked (probably were floating Mo, whose trade value isn't particularly high in reality). It says they know enough to not bet their careers on freaking Geno Smith, but they haven't acted desperate to get rid of him either. Far from it.

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

junc is right as often as a broken clock, but thanks for clearing up that you are hoping if Fitz is the Qb that the Jets win every game he plays.

I thought that much was pretty much established throughout the forum? If all 4 QBs hit the IR n we miraculously pick up Tim Teblow, I'd still hope we win. 

1 hour ago, jett said:

The post I was replying to was about Fitz, not Geno. Last year Fitz lost 4 out of 5, with the only win being a close one vs. Jax.

So I doubt they bench him at 1-5 unless he's truly playing miserable and the rest of the team are doing well.

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

it's amazing how the broken clock is always right when you try to debate him.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

'92 Chargers started 0-4 and made the playoffs, and even won their 1st playoff game.

'95 Lions started 0-3, and were 3-6, and made the playoffs.

the Jets were 0-3 in 1981 and made the playoffs, in 2002 we started 1-4/2-5 and won the division.  I think Buffalo was 0-3 in 1998 and made the playoffs.

the Jets were 0-3 in 1981 and made the playoffs, in 2002 we started 1-4/2-5 and won the division.  I think Buffalo was 0-3 in 1998 and made the playoffs.

Jets had 1 win after 5 games in '81 ( they had a tie versus the Phins in week 5).

Nice 2nd half run to make the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets had 1 win after 5 games in '81 ( they had a tie versus the Phins in week 5).

Nice 2nd half run to make the playoffs.

that was the first year I could remember vividly.  they finished 10-2-1 with both losses coming against a bad Seahawk team.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

The post I was replying to was about Fitz, not Geno. Last year Fitz lost 4 out of 5, with the only win being a close one vs. Jax.

So I doubt they bench him at 1-5 unless he's truly playing miserable and the rest of the team are doing well.

Oh my bad! I think the same goes for Fitz to, he's got a somewhat similar career as Geno, albeit a little more successful. I think the only thing that would help Fitz is last year, and assuming he signs, his contract. If he goes 1-5 they probably will bench him despite those reasons, but it would be harder. I think Geno gets benched at 1-4 with talk at 1-3.  If the jets are 1-5 and Fitz isn't benched, I'd be mad they aren't just throwing petty/geno/Hackenberg out there to see what you got. It'd be a waste not to. 

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Come on Savage, you know everything.

Why did the Jets play the Seahawks twice in the regular season?????

I think both of them finished last in their divisions the year before.  I remember 5th place teams always playing each other twice.

4 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

'92 Chargers started 0-4 and made the playoffs, and even won their 1st playoff game.

'95 Lions started 0-3, and were 3-6, and made the playoffs.

You really had to bring out the history book. Fitz isn't winning out last half part of the season. 

The big question is can Bryce Petty be good enough to occupy the backup role? Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to resign, to that end I have no doubt. He will be named the starter upon his return. After that if Bryce Petty can assume the backup role, Geno is DONE. This guy has lingered around for far too long now. He's an idiot and an even worse QB.

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

The big question is can Bryce Petty be good enough to occupy the backup role? Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to resign, to that end I have no doubt. He will be named the starter upon his return. After that if Bryce Petty can assume the backup role, Geno is DONE. This guy has lingered around for far too long now. He's an idiot and an even worse QB.

You are so wrong. The Jets will not go into the season if they sign Fitzpatrick with Petty as the backup if he cant even compete for the starting job which many say he's not ready to take,

3 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Lol this is ludicrous.. Geno is by far the best value at qb with his 1 mil and change.  geno and fitz both are good backups who can do well with the right talent and right OC. Only one received that perfect setup so far. Right now jets hold fitz above geno by a fraction. Which ironically was the exact reverse last year at this time.. Petty is not ready to be #2..  Which actually benefits Fitzpatrick a ton. If they give geno the job they still need to sign or trade for a backup. Most decent backups make 4-5 mil, might as well just sign fitz for 7-8.. And have geno waiting close by if fitz picks up where he left off in that awful performance against buf.

Archived