Hackenburg looking unimpressive...

Freemanm

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Hack v Lynch story is going to be fun to watch, but it also has great and vast potential to cause a mass suicide on the East Coast. When we passed on Lynch, I was ok with it until Elway traded up for him. Then I got sick when we drafted Hack knowing that the reason why we passed on Lynch was because Maccagnan wanted Hack instead. The stories coming out of OTAs in Denver are that Lynch is still struggling with the playbook, but has looked good throwing the football, particularly on the move. Meanwhile, the stories with Hackenberg have all been about how he's struggling with the act of throwing the football, so much so that the Jets have stashed him on the far practice field, away from the media. 

It will be entertaining to say the least and if Lych is halfway decent we will be crucified by the parasite media. I would rather have heard reports of a rookie struggling with the playbook then overthrowing WR's. Which has been an issue for Hack for awhile.It is expected for a rookie to struggle with the playbook in the beginning. I would prefer to hear Hack was struggling with the playbook than struggling to make throws. Hopefully he comes together but I would have been more comfortable with Lynch, hope I'm wrong as it is still early. I just don't know how you pass on Lynch. This is such a fuc*ing typical Jets situation to be in.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

this regime appears to be heading down the same path as previous failed regimes: because instead of building toward the future, they're chasing their tails trying to plug holes on a rickety roster that won a few more games than they thought it would at the expense of long-term viability.

ding ding ding

Everyone wanted us to spend money, so now we're stuck with Tannenbaum 2.0. Good times.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I hear you, but I'm also of the belief that chasing 8-8 ⎌is kinda fool's gold, and Macc has placed a priority on at least appearing competitive in the short term. My anxiety with this approach is in how much this approach may or may not compromise the development of the roster moving forward. They're not even going to start their first round ILB this year, but they'll promise a starting job to Ryan Fitzpatrick? They had a gaggle of young CBs on the roster last year, but they gave $40 mil to Cro, Skrine, and Revis and Gilchrist? Its dangerous living, IMO, and the far majority of the consistently good teams in the league don't have this type of paranoiac fear of running young players out there. 

My thinking is that most franchises that are thought of as elite rarely fall below .500.  If you want to join them, which we all do, then you've gotta start.  Mac the seasoned NFL front office guy has gotten us there once and I believe will do so again this year.  Mac the scout will build us .500+ teams while maintaining that floor.  At least this is my hope/theory.              

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually according to Kubiak he's not.   

Wont stop idiots from trolling.  It's hard to be this big of a dick

Don't worry after Lynch sucks in actual games Tx will forget he drooled all over him like he did Cassel, Mallet and Hoyer

Yeah, I hear you, but I'm also of the belief that chasing 8-8 ⎌is kinda fool's gold, and Macc has placed a priority on at least appearing competitive in the short term. My anxiety with this approach is in how much this approach may or may not compromise the development of the roster moving forward. They're not even going to start their first round ILB this year, but they'll promise a starting job to Ryan Fitzpatrick? They had a gaggle of young CBs on the roster last year, but they gave $40 mil to Cro, Skrine, and Revis and Gilchrist? Its dangerous living, IMO, and the far majority of the consistently good teams in the league don't have this type of paranoiac fear of running young players out there. 

Also, it's become clear that "at least appearing competitive in the short term" is the team's mission statement, and will be as long as Woody's signing the checks.

Look at the young talent on the roster, too: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/1999_roster.htm

Parcells set up Al Groh and Herm for a nice run there. 

Agreed ... And not a bad coaching staff to have either!

CoachBill Parcells (8-8-0) 
 Offensive Coordinator: Charlie Weis
 Defensive Coordinator: Bill Belichick
 Other Notable Asst.: Romeo Crennel (Defensive Line), Al Groh (Linebackers), Todd Haley (Wide Receivers) and Eric Mangini(Defensive Assistant/Quality Control)

7 minutes ago, ljr said:

Agreed ... And not a bad coaching staff to have either!

CoachBill Parcells (8-8-0) 
 Offensive Coordinator: Charlie Weis
 Defensive Coordinator: Bill Belichick
 Other Notable Asst.: Romeo Crennel (Defensive Line), Al Groh (Linebackers), Todd Haley (Wide Receivers) and Eric Mangini(Defensive Assistant/Quality Control)

man, what a shame how all that fell apart and basically benefited the Pats. 

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

It will be entertaining to say the least and if Lych is halfway decent we will be crucified by the parasite media. I would rather have heard reports of a rookie struggling with the playbook then overthrowing WR's. Which has been an issue for Hack for awhile.It is expected for a rookie to struggle with the playbook in the beginning. I would prefer to hear Hack was struggling with the playbook than struggling to make throws. Hopefully he comes together but I would have been more comfortable with Lynch, hope I'm wrong as it is still early. I just don't know how you pass on Lynch. This is such a fuc*ing typical Jets situation to be in.

If they didn't draft Hackenberg, they wouldn't have to worry about Lynch as much, IMO. They'd at least have the plausible excuse  that they weren't prioritizing the QB position in this draft. But, drafting Hack puts them in the position of directly competing with Elway for the next decade and if they lose that one, it's a huge miss. Now, who knows what Lynch or Hackenberg will be, but the Jets and their fans are going to be looking over their shoulders for a few years unless Hackenberg doesn't suck OR Darron Lee is Luke Keuchly.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

ding ding ding

Everyone wanted us to spend money, so now we're stuck with Tannenbaum 2.0. Good times.

Ha. Tannenbaum was awful, and I think Maccagnan has the advantage of not being simply a CPA. Maccagnan deserves credit for not being tied into long-term deals with these older vets, so that's an improvement. The only guys who are getting paid beyond 2016 are Decker and maybe Skrine(?).

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

My thinking is that most franchises that are thought of as elite rarely fall below .500.  If you want to join them, which we all do, then you've gotta start.  Mac the seasoned NFL front office guy has gotten us there once and I believe will do so again this year.  Mac the scout will build us .500+ teams while maintaining that floor.  At least this is my hope/theory.              

Yeah. I look at the way the Panthers and Seahawks built: they were mediocre-to-bad for years, kept adding youth and speed through the draft, and then were gifted with QBs who made them elite. So, patience can pay off. My concern with this regime is that they seem to distrust their young players and the GM's two QB picks are Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

Has Jet Nation always been this toxic? Or is a function of this particular offseason + with the traffic from JI when it closed? This board has been challenging to say the least this year. 

There has always been toxicity involved between different QB camps through the years when discussions progress....

Penny, Ramsey, Carter, Clemens, Favre, Sanchez, Fitz, Geno, Petty, Vick, McElroy, Hack... It wont stop until we actually have a long term #1 QB under center and under contract.

I want Vinny ver 3.0

It doesn't matter. Hack is a developmental player. Most people should have known Hack would not be ready this soon. This season is a wash anyway. The jets are at best winning about 6 games this season. Hack is a name for the future and I am still excited to see what Bryce Petty can do.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:54 PM, Beerfish said:

The big issue is that there is such a monumental lack of evidence that Hackenburg is a good QB or has been one the last two years.  As far as who screwed him up or why has become screwed up its unfortunate for him but totally irrelevant as to whether the is a good prospect or not.  I guess we will see if he is fixable but you don't often draft a total project Qb in the 2nd.  And like it or not the whole Hackenburg vs Lynch thing will go on for some time until one or the other looks like the better guy.

That is fine but obsess over OTAs is stupid.  This kid showed in his freshman season and also flashes over the next two seasons s that the tools are there and so are the intangibles.  Our scouting and coaching staff spent extensive time watching film, working out, conducting interviews etc.  After all of that due diligence can we at least give them the benefit of the doubt?  

That is fine but obsess over OTAs is stupid.  This kid showed in his freshman season and also flashes over the next two seasons s that the tools are there and so are the intangibles.  Our scouting and coaching staff spent extensive time watching film, working out, conducting interviews etc.  After all of that due diligence can we at least give them the benefit of the doubt?  

What relevance is his freshman year 3 years ago?

He regressed big time each of his last two years in college.

And he is still missing wide open receivers in OTA's with no pass rush whatsoever.

You don't think that is a huge red flag?

21 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

And he is still missing wide open receivers in OTA's with no pass rush whatsoever.

I Love your positivity.

41 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

No I don't nor do I understand why you have nothing better to do than sh*t on Jet fans every chance you get.   He has been up and down during OTAs just like Petty and just like a lot of rookie QBs but that doesn't fit your narrative. He has also thrown some gorgeous passes but again why talk about those? Why not make a big deal over OT ******* As??

He has been working on his mechanics,  on his footwork and it was a given that he would not start this season so no there is no red flag.   It is all about 2017 and beyond for Hackenberg.  Only trolls and fools are caught up in what he is doing in OTAs.  And in you case, you are both. 

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

No I don't nor do I understand why you have nothing better to do than sh*t on Jet fans every chance you get.   He has been up and down during OTAs just like Petty and just like a lot of rookie QBs but that doesn't fit your narrative. He has also thrown some gorgeous passes but again why talk about those? Why not make a big deal over OT ******* As??

He has been working on his mechanics,  on his footwork and it was a given that he would not start this season so no there is no red flag.   It is all about 2017 and beyond for Hackenberg.  Only trolls and fools are caught up in what he is doing in OTAs.  And in you case, you are both. 

What I saw of Hack was very impressive, hitting guys deep down the field, the way a true Jet quarterback does.also saw him complete a wobbly TD pass, guys with strong arms are gonna miss high a lot, early and especially in practice,  I'm just glad the Jets are planning on

implementing the long ball, Smith and Peake could make a nice dual deep threat, a quick strike offense.

13 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

LOL you would have such the opposite opinion if the Flats drafted him in the 2nd round... After they couldn't in the 1st round for being punished for cheating. 

13 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Sure Patsfantx likes to  bust Jet fans balls every chance he gets.  In this case I tend to agree it discerning that Hackenberg was this inaccurate throwing in ideal  throwing conditions .( Qb's can't be touched ). You're a legit NFL Qb you shouldn't be missing that bad playing catch.( sort like Qb pro day)  You can't hit a Wr with space what are you going to do when the window gets a lot smaller.( when they start playing for real)

You can poo poo that it is only Ota's , but he has a history ( tape doesn't lie of being inaccurate passer )  You can say they can fix his mechanic to improve his accuracy, but history shows that this is a lot harder to do.   See Tim Tebow - how much money and time did he put in to improve his mechanics.( when pressure comes you tend to revert back to what feels comfortable. Give me one example of Qb that was inaccurate passer coming into NFL, that improve in that area in the pro's.

A Qb success in Ota's doesn't guarantee success in the regular season, but it does raise red flags when a Qb is very erratic with his accuracy in these ideal throwing situation,( even Geno Smith has looked pretty good in Ota's).

15 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

How is Matt Cassell looking in OTA's Tx?

he really earned that $58.73 bonus last year

17 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

So why was Lynch missing wide open WRs?  Wht did Garappolo miss wide open WRs in his first year of camp? Why do all rookies at their first camp miss wide open WRs?  Why would Favre when he first played in actual NFL games overthrow wide open WRs?  What does what he does in a handful of passes at his OTA have anything to do with what he will be in 1 or 2 years?  

Garoppolo’s ascension is the more important development. Two years ago at this time, Garoppolo couldn’t hit the ground from the middle of a hayfield

I have seen Hackenberg play live twice in person. He isn't that good of a quarterback. I'm not surprised at all and i'm still perplexed that the Jets would even pick him in the 2nd round when he wasn't even worth it. Just because Mccagnan had a friendship with Bill O'Brien when he was employed by the Texans doesn't mean he had to pick Sackenberg. Hopefully he holds the clip board for a long long long time. I would have much rather preferred them to have picked someone else. I believe he'll never play a down at quarterback for the Jets.

4 minutes ago, GenoandtheJets said:

I have seen Hackenberg play live twice in person. He isn't that good of a quarterback. I'm not surprised at all and i'm still perplexed that the Jets would even pick him in the 2nd round when he wasn't even worth it. Just because Mccagnan had a friendship with Bill O'Brien when he was employed by the Texans doesn't mean he had to pick Sackenberg. Hopefully he holds the clip board for a long long long time. I would have much rather preferred them to have picked someone else. I believe he'll never play a down at quarterback for the Jets.

Somehow when you take the name Geno and bash another Jet QB it lacks credibility..:blink:

21 hours ago, Mainejet said:

It doesn't matter. Hack is a developmental player. Most people should have known Hack would not be ready this soon. This season is a wash anyway. The jets are at best winning about 6 games this season. Hack is a name for the future and I am still excited to see what Bryce Petty can do.

Pretty much.  wait and see.  Expecting anything other than piss poor from Hack this year is madness.  

17 minutes ago, GenoandtheJets said:

Atleast Geno gives the Jets a better chance to win if they don't sign Fitzpatrick. Geno has potential and Hackenberg doesn't. that's my opinion.

Thats great. 

Theres a whole office of people in Florham Park who totally disagree with you.

Yeah I am thinking the reaction is a little overblown. Obviously it's not good that he is not lighting it up, but it is not necessarily bad. 

The problems with Hackenburg in college were that he has bad footwork, poor mechanics on his throws, gets nervous in the pocket etc... and I'm sure we have all read the positives by now.

So why would anyone expect him to come into OTA's with great footwook and good mechanics? We all knew that he needs this year at least to improve his footwork, relax while in the pocket and work on not sailing his throws too far.

The worst thing ever would be starting Hack early where he has to learn on the fly about reading defenses all while trying to rebuild his throwing motions from the ground up. It would just lead to him reverting to his old ways and is a recipe for disaster. I don't have a good feeling about him, but he should be in the same situation as Petty, which is unfortunate of a 2nd round qb, but he has the magical upside.

Archived