The Mini Camp Thread

Maxman

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If things go well it will be becasue Geno has improved becasue he has always had a good arm, decent accuracy at times.  Most of his failures have nothing to do with weapons at all.  Look at most of his big fail plays in the past, it wouldn't have mattered if he had Decker and Marshall on the team or not for the bonehead plays,

Most of his failures have nothing to do with weapons at all, but having no weapons certainly doesnt help any. It's hard to look at most of his big play fails in the pasts and say that it wouldnt matter if he had Decker and Marshall on the team because I sat last season and seen alot of Fitzpatrick big plays that would have been big fails if not for guys like Marshall turning them into big plays. 

I look at Marshall's top 10 plays last year and I can see clear as day what he contributed not just to his position but to his QB as a target and how he bailed him out quite a few times. That established that chemistry that we like to talk about, knowing that you have a target that dependable. Having a red zone target in Decker that dependable. To say that Marshall/Decker didnt play a big part in Fitzpatrick's single season career success would be just as wild as saying that Marshall/Decker couldnt help Geno to turn big play fails into big play success. Of course if this comes to fruition fans will be quick to confirm that it was in fact Marshall/Decker that helped the turnaround and not the "light" coming on for Geno.  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

According to Darryl Slater, Geno went 7 for 7 in the red zone and finished 18 of 26 overall including the pick. That's not a bad practice for him. Petty and Hack weren't good though.

5 minutes ago, elgoman said:

According to Darryl Slater, Geno went 7 for 7 in the red zone and finished 18 of 26 overall including the pick. That's not a bad practice for him. Petty and Hack weren't good though.

At least Geno is showing some good things, he really does have pro tools.  If he could ever avoid the half dozen awful plays a game.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm still looking for the tons of upside on this dude.  Inaccurate, mechanics shot, beat to crap the last two years, even in his 1st year he was not earth shattering good at penn state.  Now I'd be fine taking your tact on this player if he was a charon peake like 7th round pick but a 2nd rounder shouldn't be looking so thoroughly awful.  In any case he will get his time and his chance, the guys that run the jets don;t give a fig what naysayers like me think or what over optimistic guys think.

As everyone has stated...his mechanics, footwork etc. need to be changed.  

When you completely change the way you do things - things are going to get worse before they get better...You would actually expect regression in the first couple of months...

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I see development as a distance, if you are starting out closer to a goal (smart, played in pro offense, throw reasonably well, recent good history) then it is relalistic to think a guy is going to make a jump the next year.  If you are really far away from that then add a year more.  Accuracy is a real big problem, many QB's just do not make big leaps in this reagard.  All I know so far is that Hackenburg sounds worse than  Geno, Sanchez, Petty, Clemens, friggin Ratliff, et all in his 1st workouts.

And yes it does matter because how a team handles its resources long term helps determine success.  If you draft mid round talent in the 2nd round often enough you dilute talent.

That's fair.  I cant say that I follow a ton of other teams OTA's/Mini Camp updates but there have been plenty of QB's who improved their accuracy as their career progressed from their first seasons getting live action.

I think that something made this kid the #1 High School prospect in the land and at one time and was the #1 college QB prospect in the land at one point...so if it takes a year to pull it out when he wasnt even in the cards this year to begin with, it's really not a big deal and in typical fan fashion, there is a ton of overreacting going on.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

"Got money on my mind, I say REALLY REALLY!?" oh yeah... Nice pass.

It was a nice pass, but this Peake kid has been impressive.  Very smooth, especially for a guy his size.

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

THE HORROR!!!!!!

June 15 and the QB's dont look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking bad is no big deal, the real story is that they look great (especially Geno) but the press won't admit it.

27 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It was a nice pass, but this Peake kid has been impressive.  Very smooth, especially for a guy his size.

Hate that it would be a waste of a second round pick again if Smith fails but hope that Peake turns out to be a solid #3 within the next few season. Better yet maybe both of them catch on. That is much needed depth at WR.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

As everyone has stated...his mechanics, footwork etc. need to be changed.  

When you completely change the way you do things - things are going to get worse before they get better...You would actually expect regression in the first couple of months...

Agreed on all points, 100% I agree.  These re the kind of chances you take on a 5th to 7th rounder not a 2nd rounder.  That's what it comes down to for most of the big critics of hackenburg, not that the jets took a chance on a risk reward player who with a lot of coaching and time can be a diamond, but that we used a 2nd rounder on that type of player.

33 minutes ago, faba said:

Mac will live or die by his success or lack of in finding a stable QB situation

And this really is the thing.  Folks who subscribe to the idea that Mac gets political cover in the event that our QB situation goes t1ts up because he made Fitz an offer.... Well I think that is a little too clever by half.  If our QB situation goes south then there simply is no political cover.  None. This is especially true if Fitz lands elsewhere and he is effective.

37 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Nice to see Geno bounce back. Have I mentioned he is primed for a bounce back season as well?  Have I mentioned he won't get a chance if we re-sign Fitz- no matter how well he plays?   

I think so as well. Im not sure if you mentioned all of that, you probably did. I came to the thread looking to see what happened today and all I could see is that Geno threw an INT and had a horrible day. I thought thats all that happened in camp today since thats all I was able to see here. 

I figured I'd go and find the tweets and post them. Come to find out, not as bad as advertised....as usual. 

21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Thanks for posting the tweets guys... I think the most consequential thing that is emerging is the play of Dee Milliner. If he can stay healthy, it's like we got an extra 1st rounder this year!

We knew he could play, he just can't stay healthy.  He's fools gold right now.  

I'm most excited to see Amaro start stepping up.  If he can stay healthy it's like another 2nd rounder at a position of need.

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

The other thing to note is that the Jets have a really good defense. So anytime the QBs look good- its against a very good defense, anytime they look bad, well, its against a very good defense. 

Hack is a rookie and his accuracy issues have been well documented (whatever the reason). That does not mean he can't turn into a stud QB. Right now, he looks like a rookie that has accuracy issues. Enough with the Gabbert 2.0 talk. @jetrider, can we at least give this kid a chance to step on the field (whenever that may be) before we decide if he is any good...

Who decided or made any kind of decision? You should at least read more carefully before deciding that a decision was made.

There's a whole thread on Hackenberg looking unimpressive if you feel like lecturing ...

Archived