Wilkerson Speaks Out

CrazyCarl40

http://nypost.com/2016/06/16/muhammad-wilkerson-lets-loose-on-shocking-way-jets-have-treated-him/

Muhammad Wilkerson breaks silence on insulting Jets standoff

Muhammad Wilkerson is a quiet man.

The 6-foot-4 Jets star prefers to make his statements on the field and not through the media, but he is fed up and revealed his feelings for the first time Wednesday.

The Jets still have not locked up Wilkerson with the long-term contract they have professed to want to sign him to for two years. Instead, three months away from the season he remains locked in a contract standoff with the team.

“It’s shocking. It’s frustrating,” Wilkerson told The Post in an exclusive interview. “Because I feel like I’ve earned it and I deserve it. It would be different if I was just a mediocre player. I feel like each and every week I’m dominating and it’s showing. The stats speak for themselves. Basically, what more do I need to do? You know what I mean?”

It is a question Jets fans have asked this offseason, but general manager Mike Maccagnan has not really answered it. Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles both say they want Wilkerson to remain a Jet long-term, but the team’s actions tell a different story to Wilkerson.

Do I feel that they want me back? As of right now, no. I don’t feel like they want me,” Wilkerson said in his first public comments since last season. “I’m a talented guy. Everybody knows that. I feel like they’re going to get the best they can out of me and just let me go. That’s how I feel. Do I like that feeling? No. I’m a New Jersey guy, born and raised and would love to raise my family here.”

A long-term contract between the Jets and Wilkerson appears unlikely. The two sides are far apart and the gap may have grown even wider this week when the Eagles handed defensive lineman Fletcher Cox a six-year, $103 million extension that includes a $26 million signing bonus. If Wilkerson plays under the $15.7 million franchise tag this season, his earnings for the last two years will total $22.7 million, not even what Cox got in his signing bonus.

Don’t think that deal went unnoticed by Wilkerson, whose asking price now starts at the Cox deal.

“I think he’s a great player. Do I feel like I’m better than him? Yes,” Wilkerson said. “Not to be cocky, it’s just a confidence thing. Everybody in the league that plays feels like they’re the best player at their position. If you ask any NFL player, they’re going to say they’re the best at their position.

“I feel like I’m better than him and whatever [his deal is] I deserve that or better.”

For Wilkerson, the reality that long-term security is a must in the NFL was underscored when he broke a bone in his right leg in the third quarter of the Jets’ season finale against the Bills. He has spent the offseason rehabbing the leg and is now running. Wilkerson will be ready when the season starts. He has skipped the Jets offseason workouts and this week’s minicamp. Because he has not yet signed his franchise tender, he cannot be fined for sitting it out.

For most of the spring, Wilkerson rehabbed in Arizona, but last month he decided it was time to return to the Jets’ headquarters in Florham Park. Even though he was not participating in OTAs, he wanted the team to know how healthy he was.

“I decided it was about that time when I was running to come back and finish up my rehab here so these guys know I’m good,” he said. “My leg is fine and I’m healthy and I’ll be ready to go. I’m rehabbing at the facility. I’m in there morning every day rehabbing. On my end, I’m all in. I’m all for being here long-term. I’m just going to continue going about things the right way and hopefully things will play out the way they’re supposed to.”

Wilkerson is hosting charity events Friday and Saturday in his hometown of Linden, NJ, and has not decided whether he will show up on time for training camp when it begins in late July. He said he will consult with his agent and make the best decision. The Jets would be unable to fine him for missing camp practices if he does not sign his tender.

The 26-year-old is coming off a season in which he led the team with 12 sacks, was a force against the run and earned his first Pro Bowl selection. He is confident he can bounce back from this injury.

“I feel like I had one of my best years since I’ve been in the league,” Wilkerson said. “I’m not going to let this leg injury stop me. I’m going to take things slowly and come out next year and dominate again.”

The contract drama has hovered over Wilkerson for two years now. He and agent Chad Wiestling first approached the Jets about an extension in 2014 when John Idzik was in charge. They talked to Maccagnan last year before cutting off negotiations when the season started. This year, despite public statements that they wanted to get a deal done with Wilkerson, the Jets were open to trading him before the NFL draft in April.

“That just shows they don’t want me,” Wilkerson said of the trade talk. “They are willing to let me walk or whatever the case may be.”

Wilkerson does not believe the Jets have really tried to sign him to an extension. The two sides have until July 15 to get a deal done or Wilkerson’s only option will be to play under the franchise tag if he wants to play in 2016.

“I don’t think they’re trying like they should. We’ve still got time,” Wilkerson said. “The deadline is in a month. We’ve got some time.”

Wilkerson expects to be on the field on Sept. 11 when the Jets open the season against the Bengals. He said despite his current feelings, when he gets on the field he will put the business behind him and play like he always has.

“I’m all in,” Wilkerson said. “I’m all for being a Jet and finishing my career here. I love the Jets fans. I appreciate all the support from them and I just hope I can continue my career here and play in front of one of the best crowds in the league.”

On Wednesday, a quiet man roared. You have to wonder whether the Jets are listening.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Woody can start outsourcing negotiations the way he outsourced the last 2 GM searches. 

I hope Mo leaves and wins a Super Bowl, just like Revis.  And then he can come back 4 years later and sign a lucrative contract while being retired.  

ih8 this team

Should have traded him to Tampa back when we had the opportunity. This is going to get ridiculous. Cox wasnt even worth that amount of money. Why the F must the Jets follow or take into account an organization that Gave Cox a ridiculous contract, Bradford a ridiculous contract, their back up QB a ridiculous contract and then moved up into the #2 spot to draft a QB and mortgage their future? 

Thats a stupid f'ing front office running that organization and shouldnt be used as some sort of new measuring stick unless we're measuring stupidity. Tag Wilk this year and next year then let him walk is what I would do, however, what should have been done was trading him 2 seasons ago. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maybe Woody can start outsourcing negotiations the way he outsourced the last 2 GM searches. 

I hope Mo leaves and wins a Super Bowl, just like Revis.  And then he can come back 4 years later and sign a lucrative contract while being retired.  

ih8 this team

Of course, if we assume, which we probably can, that the Revis signing was motivated by Woody, then we're still in trouble.  Because, if it weren't for that awful contract, we'd be in better shape regarding Wilkerson.

5 minutes ago, faba said:

Wilkerson has been a loyal guy never getting into trouble-not really happy on why the Jets have not got this done before now and may now have to lose him as no choice

Local kid, drafted by this franchise, has been nothing but a class act and a dominant player/best player on the team.

Makes total sense the Jets are perfectly fine with letting him hit FA and walking for a great deal to a team that appreciates him.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Of course, if we assume, which we probably can, that the Revis signing was motivated by Woody, then we're still in trouble.  Because, if it weren't for that awful contract, we'd be in better shape regarding Wilkerson.

Him and Harris, but it's cool.  Mac was the executive of the year. 

Listen I completely understand his frustration, he does deserve the money. But this guy needs to realize he isn't getting it from this team and his outbursts, holdouts, and everything are  reflecting him poorly. He should've realized he wasn't going to get a deal with this team 2 years ago, so why continue to carry on? We tried helping him by trading him, but when he is pulling Revis his trade value will decline a bit and his price might go down some to. He will get his deal, it will be a lot of money, but it won't be for this team. Realize this. Play out your tag, put a smile on, and you will get your day.  

Just now, jett said:

Listen I completely understand his frustration, he does deserve the money. But this guy needs to realize he isn't getting it from this team and his outbursts, holdouts, and everything are  reflecting him poorly. He should've realized he wasn't going to get a deal with this team 2 years ago, so why continue to carry on? We tried helping him by trading him, but when he is pulling Revis his trade value will decline a bit and his price might go down some to. He will get his deal, it will be a lot of money, but it won't be for this team. Realize this. Play out your tag, put a smile on, and you will get your day.  

Just like all the hold-outs and complaining hurt Revis's bottom line?

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Local kid, drafted by this franchise, has been nothing but a class act and a dominant player/best player on the team.

Makes total sense the Jets are perfectly fine with letting him hit FA and walking for a great deal to a team that appreciates him.

But it's not just Mac. Idzik didn't do it either when he had TONS of money at his disposal. When two different regimes don't extend him, it makes you wonder right?

20 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The FO REALLY needs to get a handle on these negotiations. Managing this process through the press is a recipe for disaster. 

This is no different than just about every other player that gets franchised. You think he's the only franchised player with the same thoughts and comments? It's what happens when you have a REALLY good player asking for superstar money.  

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

But it's not just Mac. Idzik didn't do it either when he had TONS of money at his disposal. When two different regimes don't extend him, it makes you wonder right?

Not really.  Idzik was a ******* moron. 

I feel no remorse for him at all. For this reason. THE ONLY REASON he is talking to the press about this is because his situation has been blanketed by the Fitzpatrick standoff. He has gotten no press at all. So he has needed to create some for himself by speaking out.

It is deliberate manipulation in order to make the organization look bad. 

I would have preferred it if he let his play do the talking and then go out for a big deal at the end of next year, whether it be with the Jets or any place. He lost some respect with me with this. Deliberately causing trouble at the risk of the team's image, which is already bad to begin with, is WRONG

eh, he's being far more emotional than he should be... you want more money? make the logical argument that you produced better than the guy whose salary you want to model your new contract after. leave the "they don't want me" blubbering out of it... winning the sentimental battle isn't going to get you paid any more.

big fat baby.

Should have traded him to Tampa back when we had the opportunity. This is going to get ridiculous. Cox wasnt even worth that amount of money. Why the F must the Jets follow or take into account an organization that Gave Cox a ridiculous contract, Bradford a ridiculous contract, their back up QB a ridiculous contract and then moved up into the #2 spot to draft a QB and mortgage their future? 

Thats a stupid f'ing front office running that organization and shouldnt be used as some sort of new measuring stick unless we're measuring stupidity. Tag Wilk this year and next year then let him walk is what I would do, however, what should have been done was trading him 2 seasons ago. 

The Eagles are the new Redskins

1 hour ago, JiF said:

ih8 this team

Pretty much

This is just a garbage franchise. There's still a month, but it's hard to imagine the Jets doing something right in that time frame. 

22 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

It doesn'tmake sense to sign one of the best players in the NFL?

IMG_0231.JPG

-When you can make the argument he's not even the best player on his line. 

-when you realize it will take 100 million + to sign him and we are financially strapped the next 2 years. People complain when we are in salary cap hell, well people, this is how you get there. Sometimes you have to let great players go for the betterment of your team. We are strong at this position already, using the money we wouldn't use on him in the next few years to use on positions of need 

- we have two young stars on the line already, not like we would not have any replacements

I mean seriously, we can't afford him so why the hell would we try to fit him in? Just because he's a fan favorite? Terrible mindset. 

Why didn't Mo state what the Jets offered him?   Its because it would have made him look like crap.  Jets put him on the block for two years in a row and could not get any takers because his price is too big for anyone.  The market sets your price, not one team thought enough of him to trade a 1st round pick and sign him to a long term deal.  Why do you think that is?

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What a dogsh*t franchise this is.

Sigh.  I hate to at least partly agree, meaning the extent to which the way things with Wilk have gotten to this point fits with the SOJ angle.

To be sure I am not of the view that Wilk is asking for a reasonable contract.  Just for now that is not the point. 

The point is, how did things get to this?  How is it that something like this occurred and is not surprising?

I read the analysis about how the FO's position makes sense, how they want to see whether they are better off committing to Richardson and Williams, and to avoid a long term commitment to Wilk with too adverse cap ramifications. 

But the end result smacks too much of an obvious strategy of putting the player at risk, leaving him holding only the cards we now see Wilk playing. 

There were alternatives, obviously.  I don't know why they were not pursued.  But they weren't, and here we are.

adding in the situation with Fitzpatrick, and I have to think this is corrosive in the locker room.

22 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I can make lots of dumb arguments, have even done so, but that doesn't give then merit or make them right in the grand scheme of things.

There are lot of people who believe Richardson is better than him. You can disagree all you want, it does come down to an opinion, but there plenty of people and nfl executives who have gone on to say that he is better. There are a lot of executives and scouts who say wilk is better. That's why I said you can  make the argument 

24 minutes ago, jett said:

-When you can make the argument he's not even the best player on his line. 

-when you realize it will take 100 million + to sign him and we are financially strapped the next 2 years. People complain when we are in salary cap hell, well people, this is how you get there. Sometimes you have to let great players go for the betterment of your team. We are strong at this position already, using the money we wouldn't use on him in the next few years to use on positions of need 

- we have two young stars on the line already, not like we would not have any replacements

I mean seriously, we can't afford him so why the hell would we try to fit him in? Just because he's a fan favorite? Terrible mindset. 

Mo IS the best player on this line. Williams and Sheldon might have higher ceilings, but it remains to be seen if they can actually reach them. Mo is also better than all of the FAs who just signed massive contracts. He absolutely deserves a huge contract, and the Jets would be stupid to let him go.

Archived