Bowles: “I’m through talking about Fitz”

JetNation

Todd Bowles

Todd Bowles gave a surprisingly candid answer today when he was asked another Ryan Fitzpatrick question.

With all due respect, I’m through talking about Fitz. I’m going to worry about the guys I have on the team.

Bowles also added:

I think I’ve expressed and said everything about the quarterbacks that I’m going to say at this standpoint. And until I get to training camp and see what happens, I’m pretty much done talking about it.

He was asked who would the # 2 QB be if Geno is the starter and the answer was Bryce Petty.

Bowles did provide some updates on Christian Hackenberg, who according to media reports is looking very much like a rookie. Bowles agreed that Hackenberg looks like a “typical rookie”.

You don’t have typical rookie things you see, but because they are all learning, they’re going to see things for the first time that would be typical rookie things. You don’t have an example of each position. They’re going to see defenses they haven’t seen before. The playbook’s different. You can study it all you want but until you get out on the field and get a chance to correct it and get better at it, you’re going to make those mistakes. So that’s natural. No different than Bryce (Petty) last year, and Geno was in the system as well for the first time. So he made his mistakes too.

Is Hackenberg’s accuracy a concern? Not at this time according to the head coach.

Well he’s not the only one making mistakes. You guys see the throw. You don’t see the route. You don’t understand the steps. You don’t see the blocking scheme. There’s a whole bunch of stuff that goes into it.

You can read more about New York Jets minicamp in our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
UyN7Rdf7Hf8

Click here to read the full story...

Good.  That's exactly what the Head Coach should say.  It's not his job, not should it be, to worry about players not currently signed.

If asked, Macc can and should have to comment every time it's brought up.  But not Bowles.  His job, as he says, is to coach who he is given to the best of his ability.

Good on him for making that clear.

Somewhat off topic, but my favorite Bowles quote he said the other day was something like....

"There's always still time until there isn't any more time"

Bowles is very good at dealing with the media - he has the right combo of surliness and honesty

About god damn time!  

Maybe someone with some common sense, negotiating experience, and/or PR knowledge got to Bowles finally.  Saying $hit like, "yeah that dude who's not on the team and is currently in negotiations with our GM is definitely our starter if he comes back", isn't exactly smart.

In fact, that's really phuckin stupid.

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Good.  That's exactly what the Head Coach should say.  It's not his job, not should it be, to worry about players not currently signed.

If asked, Macc can and should have to comment every time it's brought up.  But not Bowles.  His job, as he says, is to coach who he is given to the best of his ability.

Good on him for making that clear.

Bowles (from January until yesterday): Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back We Love Fitz Fitz is great Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back We Love Fitz Fitz is great Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back We Love Fitz Fitz is great Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back....

Bowles (today): OK no more Fitz questions.

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bowles (from January until yesterday): Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back We Love Fitz Fitz is great Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back We Love Fitz Fitz is great Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back We Love Fitz Fitz is great Fitz is the starter when he comes back Fitz is the starter when he comes back....

Seriously....how many different times does he have to tell them Fitz is the starter?

Good move to possibly pressure Fitz.

23 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Seriously....how many different times does he have to tell them Fitz is the starter?

Good move to possibly pressure Fitz.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Bowles expected to have Fitz back and Maccagnan was hoping that Fitz would sign somewhere else. However, I also think Maccagnan was counting on someone giving him a fist rounder for Wilkerson. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

And?  It makes perfect sense.  He's not saying anything more than the obvious.  If Fitz is signed, it's to start.  

Hes said it enough, was right to say no more

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that Bowles expected to have Fitz back and Maccagnan was hoping that Fitz would sign somewhere else. However, I also think Maccagnan was counting on someone giving him a fist rounder for Wilkerson. 

Agree all around, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I know Fitz wants his money, but is he willing to miss out on his last chance to succeed in the NFL over a couple of million? 

If he's that stupid, he doesn't deserve the chance to start.

I would love to know how much of this is Fitz and how much of it is Fitz following the advice of his agent.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Seriously, typical strawmen blaming the media type sh*t. The Jets are the ones that encouraged this dialogue from the very beginning. They created the story, not the media. Had they come out originally with this then Bowles wouldn't be forced to pull this lame turnaround. This should have been the policy of the team from the get-go and it wasn't. That's not Manish Mehta's fault.

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Seriously, typical strawmen blaming the media type sh*t. The Jets are the ones that encouraged this dialogue from the very beginning. They created the story, not the media. Had they come out originally with this then Bowles wouldn't be forced to pull this lame turnaround. This should have been the policy of the team from the get-go and it wasn't. That's not Manish Mehta's fault.

Yup, overall have to like what Macc and Bowles have done so far.  But certainly not perfect.  Even if they did want Fitz back, to publicly state someone you're currently in negotiations with is your starter, is just retarded.

Something has to be up.  Some plan we're not privy to.  Cause I don't think they're really that dumb.  Could be wrong though.  We'll soon see.  

Hopefully.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Yup, overall have to like what Macc and Bowles have done so far.  But certainly not perfect.  Even if they did want Fitz back, to publicly state someone you're currently in negotiations with is your starter, is just retarded.

Something has to be up.  Some plan we're not privy to.  Cause I don't think they're really that dumb.  Could be wrong though.  We'll soon see.  

Hopefully.

I wonder if Fitz has thrown a football since Jan 3 or if he needs to be on payroll to do any work. 

His last three throws: 0-3 with 2 INTs

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

If he's that stupid, he doesn't deserve the chance to start.

I would love to know how much of this is Fitz and how much of it is Fitz following the advice of his agent.

Fitz is too smart and too old to think that he is simply following his agent. This is Fitz thinking Geno sucks or that he doesn't need to attend camp in June so why not hold out for more money. There is a chance that he comes crawling back as we get closer to the season knowing that his experience in the system allows him to pretty much step in and start at any point. 

37 minutes ago, jetrider said:

I wonder if Fitz has thrown a football since Jan 3 or if he needs to be on payroll to do any work. 

His last three throws: 0-3 with 2 INTs

Right?  I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but haven't heard about any off season practicing.  You'd think a guy wanting to be (and get paid like) a team's starting QB would be out practicing with other players.  Showing some sort of drive and dedication.  Kinda like Geno has.

Again, I don't know that he hasn't been, but it looks like he's just chillin', growing his beard and expecting a big pay day.  Not what I'd do as an 11 year vet, who's been mostly a failure, after one decent season.

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Right?  I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but haven't heard about any off season practicing.  You'd think a guy wanting to be (and get paid like) a team's starting QB would be out practicing with other players.  Showing some sort of drive and dedication.  Kinda like Geno has.

Again, I don't know that he hasn't been, but it looks like he's just chillin', growing his beard and expecting a big pay day.  Not what I'd do as an 11 year vet who's been mostly a failure after one decent season.

He's built like he works at H&R Block and probably thinks his timing will be dialed in overnight when he returns. 

I hope he does return so we can do a poll for how many picks he throws Week 1.

Anyone think it's possible the Jets are weighing two options here?  And Petty is the key.

Perhaps they're at the point where they'd be completely fine starting Geno.  But, they're then looking at the possibility of Geno as the #1 and having no viable backup.  

1. Start Geno and let Fitz walk.  Hope Petty can be a decent backup (doesn't seem likely at this point).  Or sign some vet.  But who?  I've actually heard Vick.  So very tough to roll with this option.
  2. Even though they'd prefer starting Geno while saving the 12mil (or whatever the number will be), they're almost forced into paying Fitz.  And then when you pay a guy that much, he basically has to start.  In which case, Geno would play the #2 role.  All because we currently have no viable backup.

If Petty could show some improvement, maybe that'd end all of this.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Just about jizzed on the reporters every time he talked about Fitz. 

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty much spot on.  WTF does he expect?  He was the starter in Jan.  He was the starter in March.  They leaked an offer and he's tired of answering questions?   haha

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How do you know these details about Macs sex life? :)

2 hours ago, no psls said:

Don't talk about the guy ; GET HIM ON THE FIELD !! Does anyone remember what Geno looked like when he played ? AWFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B04_p67IgAAtKIO.jpg

Geno went 8-8 as a rookie with NO WEAPONS.  Yet petty and hack are treated with silk gloves.  Geno has more raw talent than Fitz will ever have. I say give him the ball, with CHAN mentoring him and lets see what happens.  FITZ has accomplished nothing  that warrants all the support here. NOTHING. 5 teams have asked him to leave....

Archived