Jump to content

Bowles: “I’m through talking about Fitz”


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that Bowles expected to have Fitz back and Maccagnan was hoping that Fitz would sign somewhere else. However, I also think Maccagnan was counting on someone giving him a fist rounder for Wilkerson. 

I don't get the logic in that. I think Mac would love nothing more than to have a veteran QB who has had great success in their offense come back. I think both Bowles and Macc wanted Fitz back but Macc, unlike Bowles has to think about the financial future of the franchise while balancing the roster within this year's cap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Anyone think it's possible the Jets are weighing two options here?  And Petty is the key.

Perhaps they're at the point where they'd be completely fine starting Geno.  But, they're then looking at the possibility of Geno as the #1 and having no viable backup.  

  1. Start Geno and let Fitz walk.  Hope Petty can be a decent backup (doesn't seem likely at this point).  Or sign some vet.  But who?  I've actually heard Vick.  So very tough to roll with this option.
  2. Even though they'd prefer starting Geno while saving the 12mil (or whatever the number will be), they're almost forced into paying Fitz.  And then when you pay a guy that much, he basically has to start.  In which case, Geno would play the #2 role.  All because we currently have no viable backup.

If Petty could show some improvement, maybe that'd end all of this.

Bowles already said if Geno starts and Fitz is gone they'll bring in a vet too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I think that Bowles is as fed up with this as we are. Schefter says the Jets have not budged or offered to change their offer one iota. Same offer as 3 months ago. You would think the team could meet him on some kind of counteroffer, even a one year deal for below 12 mil. This isn't the way teams negotiate a contract. There's a give and a take not a firm one time offer and a take it or leave it. Bowles can't do anything about it, he's in the middle. But he can think that his FO doesn't know what they're doing and potentially blowing a promising season. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, no psls said:

Don't talk about the guy ; GET HIM ON THE FIELD !! Does anyone remember what Geno looked like when he played ? AWFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B04_p67IgAAtKIO.jpg

Who was the last QB to take the field in a regular season game. Do you remember what that looked like. Slide rules and logarithims don't work against top NFL defenses and in cold windy weather.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, PepPep said:

I don't get the logic in that. I think Mac would love nothing more than to have a veteran QB who has had great success in their offense come back. I think both Bowles and Macc wanted Fitz back but Macc, unlike Bowles has to think about the financial future of the franchise while balancing the roster within this year's cap. 

Fitzpatrick is the exact type of quarterback you go and sign if you're determined to get every person in the building fired. He's not good enough to win with, but he's not bad enough to tank your season for you. And the type of offense you have to run to account for his puny arm strength impacts the rest of the team: guys with speed are wasted, and middle of the field targets are forgotten altogether. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Fitzpatrick is the exact type of quarterback you go and sign if you're determined to get every person in the building fired. He's not good enough to win with, but he's not bad enough to tank your season for you. And the type of offense you have to run to account for his puny arm strength impacts the rest of the team: guys with speed are wasted, and middle of the field targets are forgotten altogether. 

Agreed. The Jets should run the Pats offense and dink and dunk the ball 6-8 yards down the field to tight ends (or HBacks, since the Jets TE's suck) or slot receivers, if Fitz comes back. 

Geno can at least sling down the field, which should be exciting. In much the same way throwing the ball into triple coverage is exciting, but in a different way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fitz is smart if he's anything. It's his last chance at a good payday in the NFL,so like a game of high stakes poker (which it is for both sides), Fitz is holding his bluff until he can't hold it anymore. 

The Jets are wisely ignoring his bluff because they know what cards he has. 

Fitz may be smart, but he may be miscalculating that this Jets front office isn't as ret*rded as past Jet's front offices. So, for all his smarts, he and his agent may be overlooking that. In any event, even if they do realize that, might as well play it out to the bitter end. Either the Jets cave and overpay him 8 million a year or more, or they don't, and he gets the 3/4 million a year he actually deserves. 

Yeah, I'd wait around a sweat a little bit for a chance to make 3-9 extra million dollars 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Agreed. The Jets should run the Pats offense and dink and dunk the ball 6-8 yards down the field to tight ends (or HBacks, since the Jets TE's suck) or slot receivers, if Fitz comes back. 

Geno can at least sling down the field, which should be exciting. In much the same way throwing the ball into triple coverage is exciting, but in a different way. 

IMO, the right path would be to let Geno start for 6 games. If he's anything less than above-average, go to Petty for the next six. If he's a nightmare, let Hackenberg mop up for a few games. The Jets need to be realists this year if they're going to compete for a title anytime soon. If they cave to Fitz, you may as well cut Geno because it'd be a direct indictment of him. I'm no Geno fan, but giving him one last shot leads to two possible outcomes: 1. He sucks and you're in position to take Watson next year, OR, 2. He, or Petty, or Hack show something and you move forward with a young QB. Signing Fitz leads to one outcome: you burn cap space to go 7-9 and you go into 2017 knowing nothing about the rest of your QBs, but hey, you get the 15th overall pick to spend on a CB to replace Revis.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, T0mShane said:

IMO, the right path would be to let Geno start for 6 games. If he's anything less than above-average, go to Petty for the next six. If he's a nightmare, let Hackenberg mop up for a few games at the end of the year. The Jets need to be realists this year if they're going to compete for a title down anytime soon. If they cave to Fitz, you may as well cut Geno because it'd be a direct indictment of him. I'm no Geno fan, but giving him one last shot leads to two possible outcomes: 1. He sucks and you're in position to take Watson next year, OR, 2. He, or Petty, or Hack show something and you move forward with a young QB. Signing Fitz leads to one outcome: you burn cap space to go 7-9 and you go into 2017 knowing nothing about the rest of your QBs, but hey, you get the 15th overall pick to spend on a CB to replace Revis.

I agree with this; Obviously don't post here a lot, but read a lot, and a lot of folks know football really well here. I see folks acknowledging how tough the schedule is, but not sure that's really sunk in. Jets are going to be hard pressed to win 8 with Fitz. Just go with Geno, see what he does, maybe get the tank on. I know tanking not as important in the NFL as NBA, but still has value. Why ride the treadmill? Be great or suck, because being bad for a bit should speed up getting better. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the right path would be to let Geno start for 6 games. If he's anything less than above-average, go to Petty for the next six. If he's a nightmare, let Hackenberg mop up for a few games. The Jets need to be realists this year if they're going to compete for a title anytime soon. If they cave to Fitz, you may as well cut Geno because it'd be a direct indictment of him. I'm no Geno fan, but giving him one last shot leads to two possible outcomes: 1. He sucks and you're in position to take Watson next year, OR, 2. He, or Petty, or Hack show something and you move forward with a young QB. Signing Fitz leads to one outcome: you burn cap space to go 7-9 and you go into 2017 knowing nothing about the rest of your QBs, but hey, you get the 15th overall pick to spend on a CB to replace Revis.

This.  except I'm not so sure that Geno gets replaced.  I honestly feel like he can thrive in Gailey's system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And if he's forced to go into the season with Geno as the starter? He'll wish to GOD he were answering Fitz questions. Look, I'm just telling you as fans and as a personal fan myself, that going into this season with Geno as the starter is certain death for the front office. This is an infection that will not soon go away if they choose that path. I have to think Mike MacCagnan would be brain dead if he did this?

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

And if he's forced to go into the season with Geno as the starter? He'll wish to GOD he were answering Fitz questions. Look, I'm just telling you as fans and as a personal fan myself, that going into this season with Geno as the starter is certain death for the front office. This is an infection that will not soon go away if they choose that path. I have to think Mike MacCagnan would be brain dead if he did this?

Aren't you the one who said the Jets will win at the most 6 games even with Fitz starting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Fitz is smart if he's anything. It's his last chance at a good payday in the NFL,so like a game of high stakes poker (which it is for both sides), Fitz is holding his bluff until he can't hold it anymore. 

The Jets are wisely ignoring his bluff because they know what cards he has. 

Fitz may be smart, but he may be miscalculating that this Jets front office isn't as ret*rded as past Jet's front offices. So, for all his smarts, he and his agent may be overlooking that. In any event, even if they do realize that, might as well play it out to the bitter end. Either the Jets cave and overpay him 8 million a year or more, or they don't, and he gets the 3/4 million a year he actually deserves. 

Yeah, I'd wait around a sweat a little bit for a chance to make 3-9 extra million dollars 

Unfortunately Fitz hasn't recalculated.  The Jets have made overwhelmingly clear that they want Fitz back.  Fitz will eventually get a little more than the Jets offered just to get him into camp and he'll immediately get the starting job regardless of how Geno plays.  

Jets will win 6-7 games and the Jets will be on the hook for another $16mm.  This signing will ultimately cost Mac and Bowles their jobs.  And extend our misery another 4 years. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Unfortunately Fitz hasn't recalculated.  The Jets have made overwhelmingly clear that they want Fitz back.  Fitz will eventually get a little more than the Jets offered just to get him into camp and he'll immediately get the starting job regardless of how Geno plays.  

Jets will win 6-7 games and the Jets will be on the hook for another $16mm.  This signing will ultimately cost Mac and Bowles their jobs.  And extend our misery another 4 years. 

If they sign Fitz for anywhere near $16million they should be fired and tarred and feathered. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, billo83 said:

Aren't you the one who said the Jets will win at the most 6 games even with Fitz starting?

Yes. It's not going to be a very good season anyway. Mac did not add enough pieces to make this team competitive against the 2016 schedule. The Jets usually beat ONE team with a winning record per season and the Jets face 10 teams in 2016 with an 8-8 or better record. The first half of the Jets schedule, realistically, I cannot see the Jets winning a single game until week 8 against the Browns.

But make no mistake about it, the fan base will be OK with the Jets having a losing record and Fitz starting. The fans will have confidence knowing that at least the Jets had their best players playing.

If they decide to go with Geno? First of all, the masses of Jets fans hate Geno Smith. Like has been stated on this site before, they consider him to be the golden arm with a 10 cent brain. The Jets would have a far worse record with Geno as the starter. And the fans would go off the deep end complaining about Mike MacCagnan letting Ryan Fitzpatrick get away.

It's hard to say if a season like that could possibly cost the GM and HC their job? Probably not. But the masses would not soon stop complaining about it and if the front office screwed up one more thing, they'd be packing their bags. 

  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

 

If they decide to go with Geno? First of all, the masses of Jets fans hate Geno Smith. Like has been stated on this site before, they consider him to be the golden arm with a 10 cent brain. The Jets would have a far worse record with Geno as the starter. And the fans would go off the deep end complaining about Mike MacCagnan letting Ryan Fitzpatrick get away.

 

Any fan who has any knowledge of football would realize if they dont do as well with Geno as the starter its because Fitz won 10 games last season because of the easy schedule.

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...