Rex Ryan declares Bills winner of NFL's offseason

Larz

srsly, how did you guys miss this ?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16257004/rex-ryan-declares-buffalo-bills-won-offseason

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan says he believes the Buffalo Bills have "won the offseason" and on Thursday challenged other teams to match what his team has done this spring.

"I'm excited about this team," Ryan said after the Bills' final minicamp practice. "Obviously a lot of things have to happen, and we're a month or so away, but I told our players today to 'win July.' We won the offseason. I would challenge any team. I think we've won the offseason."

Ryan noted that he's "been on a lot of teams," and when asked if he thought the Bills have won the offseason relative to other teams, Ryan responded, "I do. And that's one I shouldn't say because they're going to kill me anyway, but we're on vacation. Nobody is going to read it anyway.

"But I do [think we've won the offseason]. Again, I don't know about these other teams -- I'm sure they've had some great camps, too -- but I've been really impressed with this group."

Specifically, Ryan said Thursday that he would give quarterback Tyrod Taylor an "A-plus" for his performance in organized team activities and minicamp. The Bills' second-year coach was also impressed with his players' dedication in the weight room and on the practice field.

"We do things where you get points for how you perform [in the weight room] and all that," Ryan said Thursday. "It wasn't even close, from this season compared to last season. I thought we had a good offseason [last year] but not like this. It's so much different. We competed so well against each other. Even in those type of little things, the challenges that we have. I just feel great about it."

The Bills begin vacation Friday before reporting to training camp at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, New York, for their first practice July 30.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex Ryan is guaranteeing a New York Jets win in the Super Bowl next season. When Ryan was asked by MSG Network's Jill Martin Friday if he'd guarantee a Jets title next season, he said he would. He hopes this guarantee works better than his failed one last season.

"Last year I thought we'd win it. This year, I know we'll win it," said Ryan during halftime of the New York Knicks-Los Angeles Lakers game at Madison Square Garden.

Jim Kelly: If Bills miss playoffs, Rex Ryan could be out

Count Buffalo Bills great Jim Kelly among those who believes it's a make-or-break season for Rex Ryan.

The Hall of Fame quarterback told "The Jim Rome Show" that he thinks the Bills must make the playoffs for the coach to retain his job. 

"I think Rex will probably be looking for another job (if they don't make the playoffs)," Kelly said Thursday. "I think everybody knows that, including Rex."

There were rumblings last season that the Bills' brass wasn't pleased with Ryan's performance in his first year in Buffalo, leading to the assumption the coach is in a must-win season.

Ryan recently told The MMQB's Jenny Vrentas he doesn't feel pressure from such reports. 

"The media looks at it (like), Well, we have to win this year," Ryan said. "Or what? Oh, I am going to be fired? I don't think so. I'm not going to worry about it, because we are going to win anyway. But it's like, that is an ultimatum. No." 

Kelly said the key for the Bills is staying healthy. With star wideout Sammy Watkins undergoing offseason surgery and first-round pick Shaq Lawson likely to miss the start of the season, it's not a great beginning for Ryan's campaign. 

"On paper, yeah, we look great, and we should be a very good team, but you cannot go to the playoffs, you cannot win championships when you're spending most of your time in the training room," Kelly said. 

A poor performance from Ryan's defense in 2015 placed him squarely on the hot seat. Another down year could push him out the door.

37 minutes ago, Jolot said:

In fairness to Rex , I think whatever team won the Rob Ryan sweepstakes was the obvious winner of the offseason .

Yeah, the Bills might even like Rob as much as to promote him to head coach as soon as they let Rex go at the end of the season. What an upgrade of coach competency would that be?

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, the Bills might even like Rob as much as to promote him to head coach as soon as they let Rex go at the end of the season. What an upgrade of coach competency would that be?

I would die if that ever happened. Could you imagine?? 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

and then rob would make rex the d.c. and they would win next years offseason as well

4 hours ago, Larz said:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16257004/rex-ryan-declares-buffalo-bills-won-offseason

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan says he believes the Buffalo Bills have "won the offseason" and on Thursday challenged other teams to match what his team has done this spring.

"I'm excited about this team," Ryan said after the Bills' final minicamp practice. "Obviously a lot of things have to happen, and we're a month or so away, but I told our players today to 'win July.' We won the offseason. I would challenge any team. I think we've won the offseason."

Ryan noted that he's "been on a lot of teams," and when asked if he thought the Bills have won the offseason relative to other teams, Ryan responded, "I do. And that's one I shouldn't say because they're going to kill me anyway, but we're on vacation. Nobody is going to read it anyway.

"But I do [think we've won the offseason]. Again, I don't know about these other teams -- I'm sure they've had some great camps, too -- but I've been really impressed with this group."

Specifically, Ryan said Thursday that he would give quarterback Tyrod Taylor an "A-plus" for his performance in organized team activities and minicamp. The Bills' second-year coach was also impressed with his players' dedication in the weight room and on the practice field.

"We do things where you get points for how you perform [in the weight room] and all that," Ryan said Thursday. "It wasn't even close, from this season compared to last season. I thought we had a good offseason [last year] but not like this. It's so much different. We competed so well against each other. Even in those type of little things, the challenges that we have. I just feel great about it."

The Bills begin vacation Friday before reporting to training camp at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, New York, for their first practice July 30.

I didn't miss it.

I saw quotes from the Bills right after the draft declaring them the "winners", and commenting on how they got 4-5 starters in the draft or something like that... clown city.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

And then Rob could hire Rex as his DC. 

It is amazing to me how this guy is incapable of learning how to be humble.  You would think after getting run out of NYC and then falling on you face in Bufallo, taking a step backwards from the previous regime and underachieving you just might STFU and not draw attention to yourself and your team.  

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It is amazing to me how this guy is incapable of learning how to be humble.  You would think after getting run out of NYC and then falling on you face in Bufallo, taking a step backwards from the previous regime and underachieving you just might STFU and not draw attention to yourself and your team.  

Look at his father.

Don't we ALL realize that Rex's foot fetish comes from sticking his OWN foot in his OWN mouth several times a day? He simply can't help himself. He is SO COMPLETELY insecure that he has to talk stupid sh&t constantly to make himself look "supremely confident".

21 hours ago, Larz said:

I didn't miss it I saw him in all his stupidity on NFL Network. Its so much fun watching this imbecile from the outside knowing he's no longer making us the laughing stock of the NFL

Archived