who were the Worst coaches in jets history ? ? ?

kelly

No list should leave off Joe Walton. Kotite is worst but Walton's tenure was far more excruciating. Had very good teams that he ruined year after year. Very good with the Xs and O's but the worst leader of men imaginable. Reminded me of Richard Nixon. Paranoid sweaty weasel that ran his players into the ground, played them injured and turned them against each other. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Warfish said:

The Parcells Era, taken as a whole and in hindsight analysis, was a disappointment.

1997, taken alone, in the moment, was a material improvement, then glorious, then crushing.  Similar improvements have happened with every new Head Coach since then, to be fair.

Parcells cost us Payton Manning, arguably the GOAT.  Parcells cost us Bellichek, arguably the GOAT.  Parcells had a Super Bowl-level of talent and made the playoffs once then quit when it got hard.  Parcells left us hamstrung, poor and with a multitude of overprices, over-the-hill players and a pretty bad Head Coach.  

One transition/rebound year, one great year, one horribly disappointing year and gone.  He got us away from the worst era, but he's not to credit for any of the era that came after he was gone (the Herm Era and beyond).  He was great (in 1998) with great talent, but overall did little long-term except make some fans into fanbois because of the timing (more than the actual facts) of his Era here.  ANY legitimate NFL Coach coming in could have done what he did here, we simply couldn't see that in the moment because of how deeply bad Kotite/Coslet had been. 

you have to bring yourself back to 1997, we were an awful franchise.  the laughingstock of the league. we hadn't had a winning season since 1986 and we had just wona  TOTAL of 10 games the previous 3 seasons including 1 win in 1996.  we had hope, we were contenders for the division and for the playoffs.  Real contenders not get off to a good start and fade the 2nd half, he changed everything and no we didn't end up making it in 1997 but we won our FIRST EVER AFC East title a year later and were legit SB contenders easily winning the toughest division in football.  1999 was a bitter disappointment but we were injury ravaged that year and he still managed to get us to 8-8.

he changed the mindset of the franchise and of the players so yes I do believe he deserves some credit for success we had after him.  

why didn't any legitimate coach come in and do it?  Pete Carool has turned into one of the best coaches in the sport and failed here, that job was impossible in the 90s.

3 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Todd Bowles for sure, but Mac hasn't been any help to him either. Other than that, and I'm not sure where they rank Rich Kotite was by far and away the worst HC I ever saw.

Ok I never throw the race card out but Todd Bowles won 10 games his first year regardless of the any excuse you are going to come up with. I am starting to believe you don't like him because he is black, because I can't find any other legitimate answer to say he is the worst coach in history. WTF is with you MJ, and I am a white guy who hates when people play that race sh*t.

I can see if he was in his 4th season and had a losing record the whole time. Look at Rex at times he was a disaster. You are going off the deep end bro! 

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Please explain how he can be the worst

Nevermind i just read your lame response... 

Being the board contrarian, u r a man who needs to argue and be right. In all my years of reading your comments,  this is by far the weakest.  Not saying your a dumb ass by any means but your a sophist. 

Bill parcells one of the worst jets coaches.  Lol now i really have heard it all

The all time worst was kotite. Followed by hermy. 

Coslett was not terrible but he wasnt good either.  I agree carrol should not be on that list due to the circumstances and his short tenure.  I cant remember the details but i remember him getting the job because there was some kind of vacancy and little time to search.  Anyway we all know what happened to carroll so.... 

The other guys were before my time so I cant comment 

Todd Bowles for sure, but Mac hasn't been any help to him either. Other than that, and I'm not sure where they rank Rich Kotite was by far and away the worst HC I ever saw.

Ask your doctor if Latuda is right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

It was his proclaimed short-timer status(He said he would coach for just 3 years) that stopped him from having any thought of promising Peyton he would be the choice if he came out.. Unlike his time with the Pats where he took Bledsoe with the 1st pick in the draft.. Had the Tuna had a long time tenure in mind his picks and the future of the Jets would have been much brighter..

Thing is the Tuna had no interest in staying long term anywhere. He rode in like a white knight in can't lose type scenarios (ie nowhere to go but up) and then bolted when the cap mess he created became an issue. Its why I always say , he was a great coach in the pre salary cap era, afterwards not even close. 

1. Put on a Jets shirt.

2. Sit in front of a mirror.

3. Say the words, "It is my belief that Bill Parcells and Eric Mangini failed as Jets coaches, and I also believe that Rex Ryan and Herm Edwards were kinda, you know, good, all things considered.

4. Come to understand that you are the living, breathing reason that the Jets franchise has been a punchline since 1970.

5. Pull out an eye tooth with a pair of pliers.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Pete Carool has turned into one of the best coaches in the sport and failed here, that job was impossible in the 90s.

He didn't fail.  He went 8-8, and then was prematurely fired.  Wrongfully, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

1. Put on a Jets shirt.

2. Sit in front of a mirror.

3. Say the words, "It is my belief that Bill Parcells and Eric Mangini failed as Jets coaches, and I also believe that Rex Ryan and Herm Edwards were kinda, you know, good, all things considered.

4. Come to understand that you are the living, breathing reason that the Jets franchise has been a punchline since 1970.

5. Pull out an eye tooth with a pair of pliers.

So to Tommy Boy the Tuna and Mangini were on the same level?? Unbelievable..:wacko:

I've been a Jets fan since the 60's, my ranking of the Jets HCs ( not including interims):

1. Bill Parcells - It may a little controversial putting him ahead of Weeb, but I thought he did a great job of coaching in his 3 seasons

2. Weeb Ewbank - Good coach/poor GM

3. Walt Michaels - Did a very nice job.  In the era prior to FA, methodically/patiently built a winner through the draft.  Started with a 3-11 team in 1977 and ended in the AFC Title game in the 1982 season.  IMO, his firing was a crossroads in Jets history.

4. Rex Ryan

5. Herman Edwards

6. Joe Walton

7. Eric Mangini

8. Al Groh

9. Pete Carroll

10. Bruce Coslet

11. Charlie Winner

12. Rick Kotite

13. Lou Holtz

Current HC Todd Bowles not inlcuded in the ranking.

8 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Ok I never throw the race card out but Todd Bowles won 10 games his first year regardless of the any excuse you are going to come up with. I am starting to believe you don't like him because he is black, because I can't find any other legitimate answer to say he is the worst coach in history. WTF is with you MJ, and I am a white guy who hates when people play that race sh*t.

I can see if he was in his 4th season and had a losing record the whole time. Look at Rex at times he was a disaster. You are going off the deep end bro! 

Race card? That's complete nonsense. I could go into the legitimate reasons why I do not care for Bowles as a HC, but I've mentioned them more times to the point that I no longer care to repeat them. We'll just have to see how things work out. At least this season, I see him coaching a team that loses more games than wins, with a less than desirable roster.

Joe Walton had teams absolutely loaded with talent and he basically did nothing with them.

Walton had the best O line in the NFL, the Best D-line in the NFL (NY Sack Exchange) great WR's (Toon Walker, Gaffney) and a money RB (McNeil) who played great in the post season and backed up by Johnny Hector with a great 3rd down back/Kick returner in Bruce Harper and a Pro Bowl TE (Mickey Shuler) Ken Obrien was a good QB with a great arm but he was a statue and that may have been the weakness of the team but he had a great year in 86 a year we might have won the SB if not for a rash of injuries. Walton had talented teams his entire time coaching here and did nothing.

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

He didn't fail.  He went 8-8, and then was prematurely fired.  Wrongfully, in my opinion.

he went 6-10 and was fired.

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Joe Walton had teams absolutely loaded with talent and he basically did nothing with them.

Walton had the best O line in the NFL, the Best D-line in the NFL (NY Sack Exchange) great WR's (Toon Walker, Gaffney) and a money RB (McNeil) who played great in the post season and backed up by Johnny Hector with a great 3rd down back/Kick returner in Bruce Harper and a Pro Bowl TE (Mickey Shuler) Ken Obrien was a good QB with a great arm but he was a statue and that may have been the weakness of the team but he had a great year in 86 a year we might have won the SB if not for a rash of injuries. Walton had talented teams his entire time coaching here and did nothing.

we had a young, incredibly talented team but those teams lacked a QB.  O'Brien was a nice #s guy but folded in big games.

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

They had the sack exchange, and in the worst move I have ever heard of, trashed it to go to a 3-4.

He mishandled something that led, directly, to a future HOF, Multi-Super-Bowl-Winning, Possible GOAT Head Coach going to our northern rival.

No amount of "culture change" nor a single fun 12-4 season can make up for that.  For that flash, we've suffered more than a decade of our Division being "The Pats and those other guys with no chance".  That's on Bill and Bill alone.

Bill was a very good Coach with some very obvious flaws, who was a very short-timer here, and left us in a horrible position when he quit like the quitter he is.

Lighten up man...Life can be fun

1 hour ago, Rexorcism said:

#1 Kotite, 2 seasons of misery...Holtz wasnt around long enough to be worse

as bad as the Kotite seasons were they set us up to be a good franchise for many years b/c we finally bottomed out and hess had to finally do something bold which was bring in parcells.  

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he went 6-10 and was fired.

we had a young, incredibly talented team but those teams lacked a QB.  O'Brien was a nice #s guy but folded in big games.

Sorry, brain fart, you're quite right.  My view on him is unchanged, I'd have brought him back.

11 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Race card? That's complete nonsense. I could go into the legitimate reasons why I do not care for Bowles as a HC, but I've mentioned them more times to the point that I no longer care to repeat them. We'll just have to see how things work out. At least this season, I see him coaching a team that loses more games than wins, with a less than desirable roster.

Ok thats fair, but to say he is the worst coach in Jets history make no sense.

On 6/20/2016 at 8:29 AM, Warfish said:

Not even close.  His teams consistently disappointing outside 1998, and while he did change the franchises course from the previous era of doom, he also butt****ed us in a whole myriad of ways after his early premature departure, a departure that ensured the greatest (cheatingest)  coach of all time went to our rival instead of staying here.

Best and worst personified in one man, no doubt about it.

I completely agree and I think that Parcells has a lasting negative influence on the NFL in many ways, especially in some of his axioms that he is famous for and largely accepted as true but are far from it:

1.  If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries."

Coaches want and are granted this often, largely because of Parcells. With one possible exception, it is NEVER a good idea to have the head coach also be the GM. Just look to last year and the Nightmare with Chip Kelly. Coaches have too many biases, notably to veteran players, players that have played  well against them, and players that will only help for one season but will hurt the team going forward because of releasing a young player or using future cap to pay for him. GMs and coaches have completely different and oftentimes conflicting and exclusionary agendas.  All the coach cares about, and rightly so, is this year. "What moves can we make right now to win this year" as opposed to the GM who asks "What moves can I make to be the best we can this year, but that also allow us to be successful 3 to 5 years down the road". Those are very different things. Signing Mo to a $100M contract might be good for 2016, maybe even 2017 but it limits the ability to build a team for continued success in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Signing Fitz for $12 million for 1 year might be good for this year, but we would lose significant depth for future years. A HC should be able to make suggestions for the groceries, but the decision should be all the GMs. I am not even convinced the HC should control the 45 man roster, either

2.  “you are what your record says you are” 

In the NFL, pretty much never true. Your record may get you in the playoffs, and you have no control over the opponents you play, but your record is not an extremely strong indicator of what you are. In evaluating a season, you HAVE to use context. What was our injury fortune/misfortune? What divisions did we play this year? (some are strong/some weak -just a fact) What was the record of the teams we faced? How good were their defenses? How good were their offenses? When did we play teams? All of these things have a huge effect on your record, as much as coaching, and talent level does. (Note: a franchise QB is a mediating/normalizing factor to all of these) If you look at last year we were 10-6. Yet, you would be really remiss to not look at it and realize that our record was bolstered by a schedule that featured very few franchise QBs, some of the worst defenses in the league and a historically weak strength of schedule. It would be folly to think that 10-6 was an accurate reflection of the overall strength of the team. In fact, scheduling is so important that it tracks very strongly with records and divisional standings, such as the Giants schedule in 2007 and 2011 when they played essentially the same schedules. This is also the crux of the Fitz argument. Supporters look at the team record and number of touchdowns and use the "he is what his stats say he is" argument for him now being a solid starter and only option for the Jets, when the other side looks at the defenses we played, opponents record and the mitigating factors of Decker and Marshall along with the brilliant work of Gailey and realize that he is NOT what his stats say he is and that 2015 was an aberration unlikely to be repeated.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I completely agree and I think that Parcells has a lasting negative influence on the NFL in many ways, especially in some of his axioms that he is famous for and largely accepted as true but are far from it:

1.  If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries."

Coaches want and are granted this often, largely because of Parcells. With one possible exception, it is NEVER a good idea to have the head coach also be the GM. Just look to last year and the Nightmare with Chip Kelly. Coaches have too many biases, notably to veteran players, players that have played  well against them, and players that will only help for one season but will hurt the team going forward because of releasing a young player or using future cap to pay for him. GMs and coaches have completely different and oftentimes conflicting and exclusionary agendas.  All the coach cares about, and rightly so, is this year. "What moves can we make right now to win this year" as opposed to the GM who asks "What moves can I make to be the best we can this year, but that also allow us to be successful 3 to 5 years down the road". Those are very different things. Signing Mo to a $100M contract might be good for 2016, maybe even 2017 but it limits the ability to build a team for continued success in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Signing Fitz for $12 million for 1 year might be good for this year, but we would lose significant depth for future years. A HC should be able to make suggestions for the groceries, but the decision should be all the GMs. I am not even convinced the HC should control the 45 man roster, either

2.  “you are what your record says you are” 

In the NFL, pretty much never true. Your record may get you in the playoffs, and you have no control over the opponents you play, but your record is not an extremely strong indicator of what you are. In evaluating a season, you HAVE to use context. What was our injury fortune/misfortune? What divisions did we play this year? (some are strong/some weak -just a fact) What was the record of the teams we faced? How good were their defenses? How good were their offenses? When did we play teams? All of these things have a huge effect on your record, as much as coaching, and talent level does. (Note: a franchise QB is a mediating/normalizing factor to all of these) If you look at last year we were 10-6. Yet, you would be really remiss to not look at it and realize that our record was bolstered by a schedule that featured very few franchise QBs, some of the worst defenses in the league and a historically weak strength of schedule. It would be folly to think that 10-6 was an accurate reflection of the overall strength of the team. In fact, scheduling is so important that it tracks very strongly with records and divisional standings, such as the Giants schedule in 2007 and 2011 when they played essentially the same schedules. This is also the crux of the Fitz argument. Supporters look at the team record and number of touchdowns and use the "he is what his stats say he is" argument for him now being a solid starter and only option for the Jets, when the other side looks at the defenses we played, opponents record and the mitigating factors of Decker and Marshall along with the brilliant work of Gailey and realize that he is NOT what his stats say he is and that 2015 was an aberration unlikely to be repeated.

1. he was a mediocre GM but this was about him as a HC.

2, all he is saying w/ that quote is no excuses.  all the other stuff doesn't matter, did you win enough games to get to the playoffs and have a chance?  

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

The Jets were 6-10 under Carroll, they were 8-8 the previous year under Coslet.  IMO, he deserved to be fired, the team had no discipline.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

1. he was a mediocre GM but this was about him as a HC.

2, all he is saying w/ that quote is no excuses.  all the other stuff doesn't matter, did you win enough games to get to the playoffs and have a chance?  

Agree.  You are indeed what your record says you are.  In the end wins and losses are all that matters. 

And as for coaches running drafts,  parcells was capable.  There are tons of gm that have done worse jobs.  Just because pacells could,  however, doesnt mean all should.  This is about coaching anyway 

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Jets were 6-10 under Carroll, they were 8-8 the previous year under Coslet.  IMO, he deserved to be fired, the team had no discipline.

the same things he is being praised for now he was being bashed for back then.  He didn't get a fair shot with us.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

the same things he is being praised for now he was being bashed for back then.  He didn't get a fair shot with us.

Personally, I am a patient fan, I think HCs are fired to frequently.  That said, back in 1994 I favored the replacing Carroll. If you recall, the reason then GM Dick Steinberg fired Coslet was because he thought the 1993 Jets should have been a playoff team.  He promoted Carroll and the Jets regressed to 6-10.  I was in favor of a total house cleaning of firing Steinberg & Carroll.  However Steinberg was diagnosed with stomach cancer so noway Leon Hess was going to fire him, he just fired the HC Steinberg hired, Pete Carroll.

26 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Personally, I am a patient fan, I think HCs are fired to frequently.  That said, back in 1994 I favored the replacing Carroll. If you recall, the reason then GM Dick Steinberg fired Coslet was because he thought the 1993 Jets should have been a playoff team.  He promoted Carroll and the Jets regressed to 6-10.  I was in favor of a total house cleaning of firing Steinberg & Carroll.  However Steinberg was diagnosed with stomach cancer so noway Leon Hess was going to fire him, he just fired the HC Steinberg hired, Pete Carroll.

we were 6-5 and playing for 1st place, we blew that dolphin game and never recovered.

1 year is not enough to evaluate and Leon hess making football decisions was never a good thing.

44 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we were 6-5 and playing for 1st place, we blew that dolphin game and never recovered.

1 year is not enough to evaluate and Leon hess making football decisions was never a good thing.

That was the one time in his ownerhip that he had no patience!

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I agree.  They get fired way too soon. I remember that coach with the mustache who worked for the oilers for years and years..... Cant remember his name.  Anyway,  he had his ups and downs.  Never won a championship but did a good job and usually fielded a respectful team and made good decisions.  In any one year with some luck he could have made it.  The point is at least there was stability and a good product for many years.  You dont see that anymore its all win now

Archived