who were the Worst coaches in jets history ? ? ?

kelly

On June 20, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Warfish said:

Not even close.  His teams consistently disappointing outside 1998, and while he did change the franchises course from the previous era of doom, he also butt****ed us in a whole myriad of ways after his early premature departure, a departure that ensured the greatest (cheatingest)  coach of all time went to our rival instead of staying here.

Best and worst personified in one man, no doubt about it.

Parcells biggest contribution was changing the culture that Coslet, Carrol & Kotite help creat here.  Even with his GM mistakes, he was trying to rush together a winner for a dying old man and came close in year two.  Who knows what year 3 could been with a healthy Vinny

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Ok thats fair, but to say he is the worst coach in Jets history make no sense.

He will go down as just another HC that  tried and ultimately failed to get the Jets to win the SB. Just another nobody in Jets lore.

23 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the same things he is being praised for now he was being bashed for back then.  He didn't get a fair shot with us.

I agree with that.  He was young, inexperienced but energetic.  The losing streak to end the season was bad but to replace him with Kotite was a joke.

On June 20, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Warfish said:

He didn't fail.  He went 8-8, and then was prematurely fired.  Wrongfully, in my opinion.

He wasnt 8-8.  His team collapsed and then quit.  

They finished at 6-10

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I agree with that.  He was young, inexperienced but energetic.  The losing streak to end the season was bad but to replace him with Kotite was a joke.

the one time hess actually does something and he feels the need to fire Carroll b/c he has to have Kotite:lol:

On 6/20/2016 at 11:37 AM, Kleckineau said:

Rex Ryan was clearly the worst followed by Kotite although Bowels has a chance at the list if he keeps getting outcoached by Ryan.

Sammy Baugh, Walt Michaels and Weeb were the best.

Rich Kotite was above all the worst. He may actually have the worst coaching record over his last three seasons (including his last in Philly) in NFL history. Next on the list is Lou Holtz who didn't even have the nads to finish his only season. I consider Joe Walton a very bad coach, worse even than Coslet who was let down by a vastly overrated GM (Dick Steinberg) who never really made a hard push for Brett Favre. The Jets have had few good coaches and I think Bowles may turn out to be the best of the bunch. Weeb had a few good seasons but was under .500 even with Namath, so even though he led the team to a SB championship I don't think he was a great coach.

On 6/20/2016 at 9:45 AM, Warfish said:

Which is why the coaches before he got here, Coslet and Kotite, deserve to be on the list.  They vastly under performed their talent.

Todd Bowled turned a pathetic and sad 4-12 team into a 10-6 team.  No one would call him one of our greatest Coaches if he went 12-4 next year (no title) and then 7-9 then quit, leaving us in cap hell with a ton of over the hill players while pushing his future HOF Coach Assistant to the Phins, say. 

The Parcells idol worship is one of the worst things about being a Jets Fan.  Bill took a team vastly better than it's record indicated, spent a billion dollars on old free agents to bolster it, and had one solid turnaround year (that could have been better), one truly great year and one very disappointing year.

"Change the culture" is a Fan term.  What it usually means is "he won more than the last guy".  I hear Bowles "changed the culture" from Rex too...

Horrific GM is more apt.  he sold the Jets future out for his little run, and the shockwaves of his bad contracts and worse drafting were something we lived with for quite some time.

The fact we managed to be good ~50% of the time post-Parcells is more on the Coaches and GM's after Parcells, not Parcells "changing the culture".

He mishandled something that led, directly, to a future HOF, Multi-Super-Bowl-Winning, Possible GOAT Head Coach going to our northern rival.

No amount of "culture change" nor a single fun 12-4 season can make up for that.  For that flash, we've suffered more than a decade of our Division being "The Pats and those other guys with no chance".  That's on Bill and Bill alone.

Bill was a very good Coach with some very obvious flaws, who was a very short-timer here, and left us in a horrible position when he quit like the quitter he is.

Considering the mandate from Leon Hess was that he wanted a winner, NOW, before he died, I don't think you can blame Parcells entirely for trying to give him a winner. I believe had Parcells intended to stay longer than a few years, the course of his GM-ship would have been much different. I don't fault him for bringing in the vets that he did to try to win a SB. Had we done that, nobody would be saying a word about how bad a GM he was. 

19 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Nope. They were both awful but at least Herm made the playoffs

Herm was a good HC for us and both made the playoffs though Coslet made it at 8-8 and didn't win a playoff game while Herm won 2.

21 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Rich Kotite was above all the worst. He may actually have the worst coaching record over his last three seasons (including his last in Philly) in NFL history. Next on the list is Lou Holtz who didn't even have the nads to finish his only season. I consider Joe Walton a very bad coach, worse even than Coslet who was let down by a vastly overrated GM (Dick Steinberg) who never really made a hard push for Brett Favre. The Jets have had few good coaches and I think Bowles may turn out to be the best of the bunch. Weeb had a few good seasons but was under .500 even with Namath, so even though he led the team to a SB championship I don't think he was a great coach.

Weeb built the team from nothing, got the ring.  He was then saddled with a QB was hurt a lot, and then the team got old.  It happens.  They had a nice 3 year run there.

While I wish we had Farve, if he partied out of Atlanta, he would have drank himself to death in NY, especially since we didn't have a coach that could contain him.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Herm is Lombardi compared to Holtz, Winner and Coslet.

I don't recall any of them backing their kicker up, in the worst kicking stadium in the league, like Vermin did. That puts him near the top of my list.

14 minutes ago, shevys said:

I don't recall any of them backing their kicker up, in the worst kicking stadium in the league, like Vermin did. That puts him near the top of my list.

that excuse is so tired.  that stadium was only a couple of years old, through the years that stadium has been no worse to kick in than any other.  Brien had missed from47 by inches, if he kicks it the same way from 43 they win.  he didn't, he shanked it.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that excuse is so tired.  that stadium was only a couple of years old, through the years that stadium has been no worse to kick in than any other.  Brien had missed from47 by inches, if he kicks it the same way from 43 they win.  he didn't, he shanked it.

He shanked it.

It was new, but notoriously hard to kick in.  At that time, I don't think anyone had made a 50 yarder yet

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He shanked it.

It was new, but notoriously hard to kick in.  At that time, I don't think anyone had made a 50 yarder yet

a week later into the same EZ Vinatieri kicked a near 50 yarder.  there weren't many attempts in that EZ through the first few years, the bottom line is he missed two makable kicks.

Just now, nyjunc said:

a week later into the same EZ Vinatieri kicked a near 50 yarder.  there weren't many attempts in that EZ through the first few years, the bottom line is he missed two makable kicks.

He choked.  No 2 ways about it, the first one wasn't a choke, he just missed by a bit.  Second, total choke job.  Herm could have run Curtis and tried to make it a 38 yard attempt instead of a 43.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:03 AM, Smashmouth said:

Joe Walton had teams absolutely loaded with talent and he basically did nothing with them.

Walton had the best O line in the NFL, the Best D-line in the NFL (NY Sack Exchange) great WR's (Toon Walker, Gaffney) and a money RB (McNeil) who played great in the post season and backed up by Johnny Hector with a great 3rd down back/Kick returner in Bruce Harper and a Pro Bowl TE (Mickey Shuler) Ken Obrien was a good QB with a great arm but he was a statue and that may have been the weakness of the team but he had a great year in 86 a year we might have won the SB if not for a rash of injuries. Walton had talented teams his entire time coaching here and did nothing.

Not only did Walton accomplish nothing, but he drove the team downward while the HC.

Not sure that makes him the worst, compared to the likes of Kotite, but he certainly deserves consideration as the most frustrating, given the factors you mention.

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He choked.  No 2 ways about it, the first one wasn't a choke, he just missed by a bit.  Second, total choke job.  Herm could have run Curtis and tried to make it a 38 yard attempt instead of a 43.

he could have, I didn't like taking a knee but the K has to make the kick.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Mangini took over a 4-12 team, goes 10-6 and the playoffs his first year, and then gets fired for going 9-7.

Rex rode Mangini's coat tails to 2 AFCCG appearances.

He got fired going 9-7 after going 4-12 his 2nd year and needed a HOF QB to get to that 9-7 ..Meanwhile the QB he dumped took a 1-15 team to 11-5 and the playoffs beating out the Brady-less Pats..

He got fired going 9-7 after going 4-12 his 2nd year and needed a HOF QB to get to that 9-7 ..Meanwhile the QB he dumped took a 1-15 team to 11-5 and the playoffs beating out the Brady-less Pats..

Mangini's only mistake as HC of the NYJ's was acting like BB's mini-me without the respect.

Huge mistake.

33 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Mangini took over a 4-12 team, goes 10-6 and the playoffs his first year, and then gets fired for going 9-7.

Rex rode Mangini's coat tails to 2 AFCCG appearances.

we were 4-12 b/c we had a million injuries including playing a 4th string QB much of that season.  that was an easy turnaround and he did a nice job year one but year 2 we were back to 4-12.  year 3 w/ a creampuff sched, a HOF QB and no Brady he couldn't even make the playoffs while rex led mostly the same group w/ a rookie QB to the AFC Championship Game.

15 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Mangini's only mistake as HC of the NYJ's was acting like BB's mini-me without the respect.

Huge mistake.

that was a big mistake of his, the BB act only works when you have a Tom Brady to win for you.  if not you wear out your welcome w/ fans and the media quickly like BB did in Cle and was starting to do in NE pre Brady.

that was a big mistake of his, the BB act only works when you have a Tom Brady to win for you.  if not you wear out your welcome w/ fans and the media quickly like BB did in Cle and was starting to do in NE pre Brady.

Absolutely agree.

When BB went to Cleveland, he thought he could deal with the media/fans as Parcell's mini-me.

You can't pull that crap unless you are walking around with Super Bowl rings on your finger.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Absolutely agree.

When BB went to Cleveland, he thought he could deal with the media/fans as Parcell's mini-me.

You can't pull that crap unless you are walking around with Super Bowl rings on your finger.

I have always said I think mangini can be a good NFL coach if he stops the BB imitation.  players see through that stuff.  

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Huge mistake.

I've met players who were on that team.  They HATED him.  You don't need the players to like you, but they should respect you, and can't hate you.

To a man, they hated him.

Archived