A Public Service Announcement By Bombdirt

Bombdirt

I felt the need to share this, since you guys are kind of like my internet family--dysfunctional as we are. :-)

A couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. I had surgery last week to remove the tumor, and though I'm still in quite a bit of pain and not walking so well right now I'm doing okay overall. I'm not really too worried about my situation--the survival rate for this type of cancer is extremely high--it's just a bit unnerving hearing that ugly "C" word come from your doctor's mouth. Thankfully, the situation has unfolded so quickly that I haven't had too much time to sit around and think about it. 

With that in mind, I just want to remind all the guys here not to neglect your physicals, cancer screenings, prostate exams, etc. I know they're a pain in the ass (haha puns!) but if something is developing you'll be relieved to catch it early. We're all getting older, and (as I've learned) these things can happen to anyone. 

Anyway, don't worry about me; I feel like I caught this early and I'm pretty healthy otherwise. I'll be fine. I need to stick around at least until my damn Jets win a Super Bowl. 

Hey BD - you are in my prayers. Love your attitude and your message is great. Early detection is so important. The screenings are really the key!

Please keep us posted we are thinking about you!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I really appreciate the support; it means a lot. 

I had a CT scan today, and when I went for the results this afternoon I had a really great interaction with my urologist. As it turns out, he's--wait for it--a Jets fan. 

Now, this wouldn't be such an uncommon situation were we on the east coast, but I live smack in the middle of Bears/Colts country. I can count the fellow Jets fans I've met locally in my life on one hand. My doctor saw my wife's Jets key chain and we hit it off from there. He told me he went to school at Hofstra in the late 70s and used to take pictures for the school paper. He'd cover practices when the team was around, and from there he developed casual relationships with some of the players He even played pick-up basketball with a couple of guys on a few occasions. 

He had some great stories, and I could have talked to him all afternoon. The whole conversation really made me feel a lot better about my situation. It was one of those unexpected little lifts life gives you every once in a while that brighten up a rotten string of luck.

Anyway, I'm going to see the oncologist next week. I'll probably have to go through a round of chemo to snuff out any possibility that the cancer spread, but everything is looking good overall. I'll keep everybody posted. 

On 6/21/2016 at 3:16 PM, Bombdirt said:

I felt the need to share this, since you guys are kind of like my internet family--dysfunctional as we are. :-)

A couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. I had surgery last week to remove the tumor, and though I'm still in quite a bit of pain and not walking so well right now I'm doing okay overall. I'm not really too worried about my situation--the survival rate for this type of cancer is extremely high--it's just a bit unnerving hearing that ugly "C" word come from your doctor's mouth. Thankfully, the situation has unfolded so quickly that I haven't had too much time to sit around and think about it. 

With that in mind, I just want to remind all the guys here not to neglect your physicals, cancer screenings, prostate exams, etc. I know they're a pain in the ass (haha puns!) but if something is developing you'll be relieved to catch it early. We're all getting older, and (as I've learned) these things can happen to anyone. 

Anyway, don't worry about me; I feel like I caught this early and I'm pretty healthy otherwise. I'll be fine. I need to stick around at least until my damn Jets win a Super Bowl. 

My fiance is a doctor, and ironically enough, she told me yesterday that she made her first ever cancer call...and it was for testicular cancer.

She went on to say that if one were to ever get cancer, that's the one to get. It's got the most research behind it and is the most curable. 

Not sure if any of this is helpful, but good luck!

13 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I really appreciate the support; it means a lot. 

I had a CT scan today, and when I went for the results this afternoon I had a really great interaction with my urologist. As it turns out, he's--wait for it--a Jets fan. 

Now, this wouldn't be such an uncommon situation were we on the east coast, but I live smack in the middle of Bears/Colts country. I can count the fellow Jets fans I've met locally in my life on one hand. My doctor saw my wife's Jets key chain and we hit it off from there. He told me he went to school at Hofstra in the late 70s and used to take pictures for the school paper. He'd cover practices when the team was around, and from there he developed casual relationships with some of the players He even played pick-up basketball with a couple of guys on a few occasions. 

He had some great stories, and I could have talked to him all afternoon. The whole conversation really made me feel a lot better about my situation. It was one of those unexpected little lifts life gives you every once in a while that brighten up a rotten string of luck.

Anyway, I'm going to see the oncologist next week. I'll probably have to go through a round of chemo to snuff out any possibility that the cancer spread, but everything is looking good overall. I'll keep everybody posted. 

Good luck Bombdirt. Happy to hear that things are going well. I loved that your doctor is a Jets fan. I am sure it brought a smile to your face and to his face. 

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My fiance is a doctor, and ironically enough, she told me yesterday that she made her first ever cancer call...and it was for testicular cancer.

She went on to say that if one were to ever get cancer, that's the one to get. It's got the most research behind it and is the most curable. 

Not sure if any of this is helpful, but good luck!

Yeah, from the research I've done since being diagnosed and everything I've heard from the doctors, I'm very hopeful. The survival rate is extremely high in the first couple of stages, and the earlier you catch it--as with every form of cancer--the better. That's one thing I'm very thankful for--if I have to go through this, knowing there's a great chance of coming through relatively unscathed helps a lot emotionally. I'm quite fortunate in that regard. 

On a somewhat unrelated side note, I've been looking up the different celebrities/athletes who were diagnosed with testicular cancer. There are the fairly recent cases I was already familiar with--Lance Armstrong, Tom Green, etc.--and also a few I didn't know about. It's the type of cancer Brian Piccolo (the Bears fullback from the 60s that they based the movie Brian's Song on) died from. His was in its advanced stages when they caught it; the disease had spread to his lungs and liver before he noticed any significant problems. By that time there wasn't much the doctors could do. 

Anyway, long story short I'm feeling very blessed that I have such good chances. Once I get past these next few weeks things should be back to relative normalcy. 

BD, thank you for sharing your news with us (I've had my own health issues and it really does help to talk about it.).  And especially for your call for all of us to get checked.  You are a mensch for thinking about us during your health challenge.

You, and your postings, are a bright spot on JetNation.  We are all looking forward to hearing that you are totally cancer free and back to yourself very soon.  Hope you are not too much in pain.  

Best positive thoughts and friendship being sent your way.

mm

On June 21, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Bombdirt said:

My grandmother has lung cancer. They gave her 4-6 months to live and she raised me. I'll lose my mind if I lose my grandmother... But some where inside of me I realize this is life and this is how things go. Doctor basically told her to go home and enjoy the rest of her life but she's not going down without a fight. She is going to Texas for a second opinion becaus this guy really didn't know much about what he was saying. While she was there he forgot to tell her a spot on her right lung shrunk. I'm holding out hope. Could you all keep her in your prayers and send some positive vibes this way please?

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

My grandmother has lung cancer. They gave her 4-6 months to live and she raised me. I'll lose my mind if I lose my grandmother... But some where inside of me I realize this is life and this is how things go. Doctor basically told her to go home and enjoy the rest of her life but she's not going down without a fight. She is going to Texas for a second opinion becaus this guy really didn't know much about what he was saying. While she was there he forgot to tell her a spot on her right lung shrunk. I'm holding out hope. Could you all keep her in your prayers and send some positive vibes this way please?

Absoultely, she will be in my prayers!  Cancer sucks but you guys have 100% the right attitude. 

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Thanks for the news BD, hope all is well, one question; what made you get the check up?

Well, long story short I had an operation down in that area when I was a kid, so due to that procedure I was at a higher risk for cancer as I got older. I always kept that in the back of my mind as I grew up, and a few weeks back I noticed a lump that I knew didn't belong there. It immediately gave me a very bad feeling that something was wrong. I made an appointment with the doctor the very next day, and that set off this entire chain of events. 

Archived