Too Late for Jets About-Face on Fitz?

JetNation

7 hours ago, afjetsfan said:

I think Fitz and the Jets will come to some compromise.  Probably 24 mil over 2 years is my guess or 3 years 36 mil (without the incentive bullsh*t clause).  I don't think the Jets will get fitz to sign the 3 year contract as it stands.  But who knows.  I can actually see Fitz signing a 1 yr 6-8 mil contract as long as he has the ability to move and make more after this year.  34-35 is still not that old.....Look at Brady he is going to be 39 in Aug.  How much would we be willing to pay him if he was a free agent?

But Fitz isnt Brady.... and never will be close.

Money far better spent on Mo!

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Fitz had a great, over-achieving season last year. No argument here.

However, everything played out perfectly for him. Easiest schedule in the NFL, Marshall and Decker having monster seasons and 15 out of 16 games were played in absolute perfect weather conditions.

Given the Jets schedule this year, and the number of late-season night games, the chance of Fitz replicating that performance is probably less than 5%.

What are the chances of Matt Cassel replicating his historic 2008 season in arena league next season?

On 6/28/2016 at 11:20 AM, Mike135 said:

You're right.  Most people I know, Jet fans or not, think they have to re-sign Fitz.  Now I think for many, they're just going along with the media coverage, but there are a few decently knowledgeable fans who also assume it'll be Fitz.  

It's just a disappointment I'm preparing myself for.  If he raises the offer though, I'm getting a pilots license and buying my own banner plane.  I'll be over Florham Park daily with signs letting Macc know how much of an idiot he is.

Will you be changing your name to Kamikaze Jet??:) 

34 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Will you be changing your name to Kamikaze Jet??:) 

$hit man, ya scared me for a minute there.  I read that like Macc had actually raised the offer and Fitz was signed!  Scary stuff.  Had to search around to make sure that didn't happen.

19 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I honestly believe some of these fitz fan groupies/geno haters will be absolutely miserable if geno does as well as fitz.. I'm not saying it will happen, but if geno did mirror fitz season I honestly think they will not be happy and will root against the kid.. They certainly will be ghosts in here..

LOL, the flip side does not even to use honestly believe as a part of the equation. The Fitz haters WERE miserable last year, and DID root against him. They were dead quiet when the Jets won 5 games in a row, and the second the Jets lost week 17, they all came out of the woodwork to beat their little chests.

I could care less who does well, or who does bad, I will root like hell for Geno to do well if he starts, and adamantly admit I was wrong if he shocks me and shows himself to be a competent starter. And I will also root like hell to see Fitz do well if he signs and starts. But the biggest problem with the posters on this board is most of them are more worried about proving they were right, and have no intent on being objective. Rather they will look for obscure stupid stats to prove they were "right" all along.

Its so stupid, like anybody gets anything for being right on a Jets message board. Who gives a flying fk who is right or who is wrong.

This fan base is the absolute worst in all of professional sports, its awful. Its a truly passionate fan base who has stuck with the team through some thick and mostly thin, but yet has no fng clue about football, but think their passion for football translates into knowledge about football. The overwhelming majority of "know it alls" don't know sh!t about football, particularly at the level of the NFL. They think re-watching a play, or a game and focusing on a player gives them knowledge. Yet, they have no clue about anyones assignments on a given play, nor do they have a clue on what was coached based on pre-snap reads on the defense. Yet they will make incontestable declarations about what went wrong on a particular play, or whose fault a play was.

F'ng fan base sucks balls.  We have jack ass' idiots rooting for draft picks to fail because it was not their guy, or rooting for coaches or GM's to fail because they liked the last guy, or they don't like someone. This fan base has all but given up on an annually competitive team, and now lets their own agenda and opinion drive their rooting interest. 

12 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

This fan base is the absolute worst in all of professional sports, its awful. Its a truly passionate fan base who has stuck with the team through some thick and mostly thin, but yet has no fng clue about football, but think their passion for football translates into knowledge about football. The overwhelming majority of "know it alls" don't know sh!t about football, particularly at the level of the NFL. They think re-watching a play, or a game and focusing on a player gives them knowledge. Yet, they have no clue about anyones assignments on a given play, nor do they have a clue on what was coached based on pre-snap reads on the defense. Yet they will make incontestable declarations about what went wrong on a particular play, or whose fault a play was.

F'ng fan base sucks balls.  We have jack ass' idiots rooting for draft picks to fail because it was not their guy, or rooting for coaches or GM's to fail because they liked the last guy, or they don't like someone. This fan base has all but given up on an annually competitive team, and now lets their own agenda and opinion drive their rooting interest. 

23 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

However, everything played out perfectly for him. Easiest schedule in the NFL, Marshall and Decker having monster seasons and 15 out of 16 games were played in absolute perfect weather conditions.

Given the Jets schedule this year, and the number of late-season night games, the chance of Fitz replicating that performance is probably less than 5%.

It's not 5% that's ridiculous. It's also not 95%. You go by probability and with your BAP. There's plenty of factors that go into this it's not just arm strength (Brady doesn't have the strongest arm either-and did you ever see that combine video of Brady where he looked like a skinny, little shrimp). The bottom line was his success running the offense and working with players. It's good enough to bring him back and gives the Jets our best chance to win.in 2016. As for strength of schedule you don't go anywhere unless you beat the better teams. And teams like the Steelers and the Bengals are not world beaters. We're in the same category as they are. 

6 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

As usual, very quality contribution to the forums...... Not sure what this place would do without your incredible contributions, so keep on keep'n on.

When a problem comes along, you must zip it...  zip it good.

Look when a very small (and I mean tiny) percentage of Jets fans say they would tank the season to get a higher draft pick. Which by the way doesn't work. Because overall #1s and top fives are not always the best players drafted. I mean who would you take: Watt or Clowney? One guy was overall #1 and the other guy an #11. This happens all the time the reason they have re-draft articles like 3 years later. Or take a chance on a guy who the players, FO, coaching staff and most of the fans know is not the BAP just to see how he would do (over winning). And say they are afraid to let go of him because he could be great somewhere else. Well good, more power to him but first let him win a starting job on another team. And I don't see that happening and I'm not in fear if he does. The very same people say they are afraid of the schedule and think we will lose our first 7 games.So why even bother showing up.  I mean these people are afraid of their own shadow. They have no faith in our team even though we have good players. Look, the Jets are entertainment and losing isn't fun. And I personally had a lot of fun last season. A lot more than I did in 2014.

13 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There are only few posters who I won't name defiantly would be rooting against geno. If we win with geno it will be " product of the supporting cast " yet the fitzies don't like to use that excuse when praising fitz ha.. I would like to see fitz come back.. If he signs before the 1st day of training camp.. I think Bowles will tell mac to forget fitz if he doesn't sign the ONLY deal he is being offered.. Geno can always be right there ready to go if fitz picks up where he left off in buffalo.. I have no faith in petty being 1 snap away from being the starter.. You need a dependable backup.. Petty not stepping up enough to be the 2 helps fitz a lot.. Otherwise jets probably would have already told fitz to F off..

I think it's more Mac telling Bowles, or maybe just Mac and Bowles simply being on the same page. Maccagnan doesn't want to blow up the QB position in 2017 for one year of savvy veteran, weak armed QB'ing. Signing Fitz to a one year deal probably leads to Petty being cut and Hackenberg the only QB under contract next year. It's not a position they want to be in. They don't want to have Fitz on the books next year if he's not on the roster (the NE style Revis contract Gary Meyers proposed), because what Ryan Fitzpatrick brings as a starter in 2016 isn't worth dead millions in 2017. 

Theres no reason for the Jets to budge on their extremely generous, best offer Fitz is ever going to see for the rest of his career. If Fitzpatrick's ego won't let him sign it, I think he's a fool. I don't think he's a fool, I expect him to be signed before the third day of camp. To this unchanged offer. 

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

LOL, the flip side does not even to use honestly believe as a part of the equation. The Fitz haters WERE miserable last year, and DID root against him. They were dead quiet when the Jets won 5 games in a row, and the second the Jets lost week 17, they all came out of the woodwork to beat their little chests.

I could care less who does well, or who does bad, I will root like hell for Geno to do well if he starts, and adamantly admit I was wrong if he shocks me and shows himself to be a competent starter. And I will also root like hell to see Fitz do well if he signs and starts. But the biggest problem with the posters on this board is most of them are more worried about proving they were right, and have no intent on being objective. Rather they will look for obscure stupid stats to prove they were "right" all along.

Its so stupid, like anybody gets anything for being right on a Jets message board. Who gives a flying fk who is right or who is wrong.

That comment may be one of the dumbest most inaccurate statement I have ever read on this board.. Geno does not have diehard fanboys like fitz.. many of us just don't get on our knees for fitz like few on here do.. We are pro jets, not pro fitz.. So when a journeyman weak arm qb gets chance of a lifetime last yr with support any career backup would dream of.. He obviously doesn't care about being a jet, and I'm sure he is thinking he will only use them again this yr to get another contract elsewhere next yr.. Even the players are getting tired of it.. 

So yes many of us are jet fans MUCH more then we are fit fanatics..

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That comment may be one of the dumbest most inaccurate statement I have ever read on this board.. Geno does not have diehard fanboys like fitz.. many of us just don't get on our knees for fitz like few on here do.. We are pro jets, not pro fitz.. So when a journeyman weak arm qb gets chance of a lifetime last yr with support any career backup would dream of.. He obviously doesn't care about being a jet, and I'm sure he is thinking he will only use them again this yr to get another contract elsewhere next yr.. Even the players are getting tired of it.. 

Then why are we hearing from Geno fans saying they want 2016 as a tryout year for Geno vs keeping Fitz. And if we lose they would accept that and then cash in on a high draft pick. That's not exactly being a good Jets fan. It's being a Geno fan. Look let's worry about 2017 next year. A lot of things could change including possibly losing some of our good vet players. I'm only for going with BAP and that's not Geno.

And teams like the Steelers and the Bengals are not world beaters. We're in the same category as they are. 

The Bengals have Dalton and the Steelers have Big Ben.

The Jets have Fitz and Geno.

The Jets are not in the same category as the Bengals and Steelers.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Then why are we hearing from Geno fans saying they want 2016 as a tryout year for Geno vs keeping Fitz. And if we lose they would accept that and then cash in on a high draft pick. That's not exactly being a good Jets fan. It's being a Geno fan. Look let's worry about 2017 next year. A lot of things could change including possibly losing some of our good vet players. I'm only for going with BAP and that's not Geno.

Not me.  My reasoning is:

1.  I rather have Geno start because I feel with Gailey and the offensive cast around him we would be a better team than with Fitz.

2.  Secondly, I don't want a overly priced backup.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

They have better Qbs than we do but in terms of Dalton not by that much. And Pittsburgh won ten games same as us in 2015. If we beat Buff they don't get in. I mean you can compare defenses and other positions. Plus Fitz was a competent Qb last year and his turnover ratio very good. 

1 minute ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Not me.  My reasoning is:

1.  I rather have Geno start because I feel with Gailey and the offensive cast around him we would be a better team than with Fitz.

2.  Secondly, I don't want a overly priced backup.

You get what you pay for. If you want a discount Qb then Geno is your man. 

They have better Qbs than we do but in terms of Dalton not by that much. And Pittsburgh won ten games same as us in 2015. If we beat Buff they don't get in. I mean you can compare defenses and other positions. Plus Fitz was a competent Qb last year and his turnover ratio very good. 

Are you saying Fitz and Geno are the equivalent of Andy Dalton?

Wow.

On 7/1/2016 at 11:08 AM, PatsFanTX said:

You don't really think that Beli would choose Geno (for money) over Fitz. And go into a season with Geno as the starter. Of course NEP never overpays moderate to good players. They usually just get rid of them and get somebody else.  I mean NEP will overpay a player at times if the guy is smart and they think he can help the team win esp with his brains. They gave McCourtey a big contract and could have gone the cheap route and let him walk. But they knew he was essential to their defense in terms of his brainpower. So I don't ever see BB choosing Geno over Fitz. 

37 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I don't even know where to begin with this post, but it sure is really funny....... or incredibly sad.......depending

24 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Are you saying Fitz and Geno are the equivalent of Andy Dalton?

Wow.

Please don't put Geno is that equation. I'm talking Fitz only. I just don't think that Dalton is that good. Better than Fitz ok, but on the Jets Fitz is efficient. You do not need a franchise Qb to win. Besides there are none available. 

Please don't put Geno is that equation. I'm talking Fitz only. I just don't think that Dalton is that good. Better than Fitz ok, but on the Jets Fitz is efficient. You do not need a franchise Qb to win. Besides there are none available. 

Last year Dalton had the 2nd highest QBR in the NFL, completed 66.1% of his passes. Had a better than 3:1 TD/INT ratio led his team to a 12-4 record and Division championship.

How the hell does that even come close to Fitz?

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

You couldn't tell that by their records last season. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Last year Dalton had the 2nd highest QBR in the NFL, completed 66.1% of his passes. Had a better than 3:1 TD/INT ratio led his team to a 12-4 record and Division championship.

How the hell does that even com close to Fitz?

Fitz has the better beard and is a really cool dude.

8 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

How the hell does that even come close to Fitz?

That was his best year. And Fitz's best year. 

57 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Bengals and Steelers made the playoffs last year.

The Jets did not.

With all due respect you really are an imbecile.  You made a statement that the Jets were not even in the same category as the Steelers and Bengals, the Steelers qualified over the Jets due to a tie breaker as they finished with the same record.  

With all due respect you really are an imbecile.  You made a statement that the Jets were not even in the same category as the Steelers and Bengals, the Steelers qualified over the Jets due to a tie breaker as they finished with the same record.  

Who gives a crap about tie breakers?

Good teams in the NFL make the playoffs, bad teams go home and play golf.

Simple as that.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

Playoff appearances in the last 5 years:

Bengals- 5

Steelers- 3

Jets-0

But some fans consider the Jets in the same category as the Bengals and Steelers.

Too funny.

We're talking 2015 Tex not the latter Rex Ryan years featuring Geno Smith. Yeah we were in the same conversation with those guys. And only one play away from qualifying. We didn't have Patriots luck.

Archived