Too Late for Jets About-Face on Fitz?

JetNation

24 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Playoff appearances in the last 5 years:

Bengals- 5

Steelers- 3

Jets-0

But some fans consider the Jets in the same category as the Bengals and Steelers.

Too funny.

The question at hand was about the 2016 team and I would think the best way to start on that is to look at 2015.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We're talking 2015 Tex not the latter Rex Ryan years featuring Geno Smith. Yeah we were in the same conversation with those guys. And only one play away from qualifying. We didn't have Patriots luck.

Or the Pats* cheating

57 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We're talking 2015 Tex not the latter Rex Ryan years featuring Geno Smith. Yeah we were in the same conversation with those guys. And only one play away from qualifying. We didn't have Patriots luck.

The jets had all the luck on their side last season, especially down the stretch. it's too bad ryan fitzpatrick just isn't good enough to do anything meaningful with it though

17 minutes ago, cant wait said:

The jets had all the luck on their side last season, especially down the stretch. it's too bad ryan fitzpatrick just isn't good enough to do anything meaningful with it though

You don't win ten games by luck, my friend. But the team wasn't good enough to win 11. 

23 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You don't win ten games by luck, my friend. But the team wasn't good enough to win 11. 

I think it's kind of funny how you always talk about Fitz winning 10 games but when it comes to missing the playoffs it's because the "team" wasn't good enough. Maybe it was the team that was good enough to win 10 games and not necessarily Fitzpatrick. 

The teams success was more of a result of the play of Marshall and to a lesser extent Decker more than anything else

2 minutes ago, billo83 said:

I think it's kind of funny how you always talk about Fitz winning 10 games but when it comes to missing the playoffs it's because the "team" wasn't good enough. Maybe it was the team that was good enough to win 10 games and not necessarily Fitzpatrick. 

The teams success was more of a result of the play of Marshall and to a lesser extent Decker more than anything else

The team won the ten games and the team lost in week 17. So let's get that straight even though nobody on this board cares what I think. The last I heard Marshall didn't throw passes to himself or run the offense. Marshall dropped passes and made his share of boneheaded plays during the season, too. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The team won the ten games and the team lost in week 17. So let's get that straight even though nobody on this board cares what I think. The last I heard Marshall didn't throw passes to himself or run the offense. Marshall dropped passes and made his share of boneheaded plays during the season, too. 

Come on dude, that team doesn't even go 8-8 without Marshall and you know that. Marshall very often bailed Fitz out and made many spectacular plays

11 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

LOL, the flip side does not even to use honestly believe as a part of the equation. The Fitz haters WERE miserable last year, and DID root against him. They were dead quiet when the Jets won 5 games in a row, and the second the Jets lost week 17, they all came out of the woodwork to beat their little chests.

I could care less who does well, or who does bad, I will root like hell for Geno to do well if he starts, and adamantly admit I was wrong if he shocks me and shows himself to be a competent starter. And I will also root like hell to see Fitz do well if he signs and starts. But the biggest problem with the posters on this board is most of them are more worried about proving they were right, and have no intent on being objective. Rather they will look for obscure stupid stats to prove they were "right" all along.

Its so stupid, like anybody gets anything for being right on a Jets message board. Who gives a flying fk who is right or who is wrong.

This fan base is the absolute worst in all of professional sports, its awful. Its a truly passionate fan base who has stuck with the team through some thick and mostly thin, but yet has no fng clue about football, but think their passion for football translates into knowledge about football. The overwhelming majority of "know it alls" don't know sh!t about football, particularly at the level of the NFL. They think re-watching a play, or a game and focusing on a player gives them knowledge. Yet, they have no clue about anyones assignments on a given play, nor do they have a clue on what was coached based on pre-snap reads on the defense. Yet they will make incontestable declarations about what went wrong on a particular play, or whose fault a play was.

F'ng fan base sucks balls.  We have jack ass' idiots rooting for draft picks to fail because it was not their guy, or rooting for coaches or GM's to fail because they liked the last guy, or they don't like someone. This fan base has all but given up on an annually competitive team, and now lets their own agenda and opinion drive their rooting interest. 

oh snap!!! @joewilly12 took me off ignore!! My lucky day! Good to have you back on board jw12! 

The lineup at the local dog pound has a better chance of stading under center than those bums. And it's obvious that the team has moved on from Fitz. The only reason nobody has sad so is because camp hasn't started yet. Bye Fitz.

6 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

The lineup at the local dog pound has a better chance of stading under center than those bums. And it's obvious that the team has moved on from Fitz. The only reason nobody has sad so is because camp hasn't started yet. Bye Fitz.

Sounds good to me!

Besides there's still the cap issue.  We basically have less than 1mil in space after we finally sign Lee.  Plus we need a few mil set aside for emergency in-season moves.

So figure our current cap status is negative 4mil.  Gonna have to make some moves even w/o wasting money on Fitz.

He should just retire and become the spokesman for Dollar Beard Club.  Then us fans can breathe easy while the team moves forward.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Sounds good to me!

Besides there's still the cap issue.  We basically have less than 1mil in space after we finally sign Lee.  Plus we need a few mil set aside for emergency in-season moves.

So figure our current cap status is negative 4mil.  Gonna have to make some moves even w/o wasting money on Fitz.

He should just retire and become the spokesman for Dollar Beard Club.  Then us fans can breathe easy while the team moves forward.

Yeah, I hear that Lee is holding out for another $100 and a pair of Air Jordans and Mac has decided to hang tough with him . 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah, I hear that Lee is holding out for another $100 and a pair of Air Jordans and Mac has decided to hang tough with him . 

Ha, well at least he's consistent.  Whether dealing with a young, exciting player who has endless potential in Lee...  or the complete opposite in Fitz,  Macc stays true.

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Ha, well at least he's consistent.  Whether dealing with a young, exciting player who has endless potential in Lee...  or the complete opposite in Fitz,  Macc stays true.

Yeah, just like he did with Revis. And spending almost the entire 50 mil on one position. I think only (3) 1st round picks including Lee have not signed. And not budgeting for a Qb even if not Fitz. I mean we can always go to Filene's Basement to get a Qb (you know like Geno or Jimmy Clausen).

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah, just like he did with Revis. And spending almost the entire 50 mil on one position. I think only (3) 1st round picks including Lee have not signed. And not budgeting for a Qb even if not Fitz. I mean we can always go to Filene's Basement to get a Qb (you know like Geno or Jimmy Clausen).

Revis is one of the best ever, at a position more important than ever in today's passing NFL.  He'll be a top player and team leader for years to come.  Macc had to make up for having horrible DBs and WRs and he definitely did.

No need to budget for signing a good QB this year because none are available.  However it makes sense to budget for a QB in upcoming seasons if needed.  That means not wasting money on a BAJ (best available journeyman) now.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Revis is one of the best ever, at a position more important than ever in today's passing NFL.  He'll be a top player and team leader for years to come.  Macc had to make up for having horrible DBs and WRs and he definitely did.

No need to budget for signing a good QB this year because none are available.  However it makes sense to budget for a QB in upcoming seasons if needed.  That means not wasting money on a BAJ (best available journeyman) now.

Look even if you don't keep Fitz you have to budget for a Qb every year if you want to win. Not go with the cheapest guy on the market. Esp someone like Geno they have little faith in. They do not want to go into 2016 with him as the starter this is obvious.There has to be a plan.  As for Revis it was a stupid signing probably pushed by Woody Johnson to deflect all of the criticism towards him personally after 2014. Why did they sign Revis on the very first day he was available. And give him the highest ever contract for a CB. If Mac's so much into negotiating then at least go through some semblance of offers and counteroffers. And there was no team that was going to give him that kind of a contract. Talk about bidding against yourself. We're not only strapped with his contract this year but I think he still has about 7 mil guaranteed for next year. So it would be stupid to cut him. Mac got Exec of the Year only because his team improved six games and was a 10-6. He got Marshall on the rebound only because Chicago wanted to get rid of him (for nothing). His best deal during last off season was for Fitz. And they want him back believe me.they do. PS Revis is not a 17 mil a year player and NEP completely knew that, 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look even if you don't keep Fitz you have to budget for a Qb every year if you want to win. Not go with the cheapest guy on the market. Esp someone like Geno they have little faith in. They do not want to go into 2016 with him as the starter this is obvious.There has to be a plan.  As for Revis it was a stupid signing probably pushed by Woody Johnson to deflect all of the criticism towards him personally after 2014. Why did they sign Revis on the very first day he was available. And give him the highest ever contract for a CB. If Mac's so much into negotiating then at least go through some semblance of offers and counteroffers. And there was no team that was going to give him that kind of a contract. Talk about bidding against yourself. We're not only strapped with his contract this year but I think he still has about 7 mil guaranteed for next year. So it would be stupid to cut him. Mac got Exec of the Year only because his team improved six games and was a 10-6. He got Marshall on the rebound only because Chicago wanted to get rid of him (for nothing). His best deal during last off season was for Fitz. And they want him back believe me.they do. PS Revis is not a 17 mil a year player and NEP completely knew that, 

Do you realize you are constantly arguing with people with the emotional, and mental capability of a 4 year old?

Revis is one of the best ever, at a position more important than ever in today's passing NFL.  He'll be a top player and team leader for years to come.

For years to come??????

The Jets will unload this declining CB after the 2017 season when it won't cost them that much to do so.

OK so if Fitz isn't their Qb why didn't they get somebody else. Like RG3. A real smart guy, Hue Jackson signed him. I mean the guy unquestionably has talent. So where is the Qb plan for the Jets. To maybe go with Geno Smith unless we can get Fitz cheap. If not start a guy we have little faith in. Not much of a plan. Sounds like a losers plan.

yes it is too late for macc to just "take it away" and I have said I made a living making offers and I never made one I didn't already know would be accepted. There is a psychology to recruiting, the first is the sizzle, then comes the flirting, then the fear of loss

macc was doing ok until woody told fitz to "come home", then fitz dug in

I think this goes into training camp, probably the monday after the first preseason game.  at that point both sides will know who has the hammer, and it will be used.  if the jets QB look good, fitz miraculously likes the deal.  if they don't, macc miraculously sweetens it

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

For years to come??????

The Jets will unload this declining CB after the 2017 season when it won't cost them that much to do so.

And you're hoping they do as he would be an instant upgrade to the Patriots crappy secondary. 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

yes it is too late for macc to just "take it away" and I have said I made a living making offers and I never made one I didn't already know would be accepted. There is a psychology to recruiting, the first is the sizzle, then comes the flirting, then the fear of loss

macc was doing ok until woody told fitz to "come home", then fitz dug in

I think this goes into training camp, probably the monday after the first preseason game.  at that point both sides will know who has the hammer, and it will be used.  if the jets QB look good, fitz miraculously likes the deal.  if they don't, macc miraculously sweetens it

Just my opinion but I don't think he signs that 3 year deal on the table. He might take less money on a one year contract but not that deal. It's way too onerous for his blood. 

19 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Do you realize you are constantly arguing with people with the emotional, and mental capability of a 4 year old?

In his defense, he's fighting fire with fire. 

24 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Because unlike free agents who are still unsigned while hosting their Independence Day barbecues, there was actually a market for Revis on the first day of free agency. 

Also -fun fact!- Revis' salary drops to $10M in the last two years of his deal. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Unless unlike you he thought he has an option at QB in Geno and Petty for 2016 and doesnt need to put 15mil aside to sign a journeyman QB.

And Revis doesn't come close to taking up almost the entire 50 mil.  

Making shlt up because they dont value your man doesnt really make sense.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Because unlike free agents who are still unsigned while hosting their Independence Day barbecues, there was actually a market for Revis on the first day of free agency. 

Yeah and this is what he should be getting now not 17 per season for the first three seasons which is insane. And who were the team's bidding for his services on his first day of free agency or offering him 39 guaranteed. The guy isn't the player he once was esp after a serious injury. Mac killed our cap on that signing. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Unless unlike you he thought he has an option at QB in Geno and Petty for 2016 and doesnt need to put 15mil aside to sign a journeyman QB.

And Revis doesn't come close to taking up almost the entire 50 mil.  

Making shlt up because they dont value your man doesnt really make sense.

Nothing made up. He spend most of the cap on one position, the secondary. And most of that on Revis. 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

Good. At least they'll know when the hold out is coming.  

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Good. At least they'll know when the hold out is coming.  

Yeah, because if Fitz is an indentured servant at 12 mil and that number is an insult imagine how Revis shoud feel.

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Nothing made up. He spend most of the cap on one position, the secondary. And most of that on Revis. 

They needed 4 players for the secondary.  You do realize that right?

Funny you think 16 mil is too much for Revis, want 15 or more to Fitz.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They needed 4 players for the secondary.  You do realize that right?

Funny you think 16 mil is too much for Revis, want 15 or more to Fitz.  

You didn't need Revis and Cro (who was also overpaid) and Skrine etc all at one time. Plus we had carry overs from the previous year like Marcus Williams, Pryor, Milliner, etc. The only reason they did it was because of pressure from the press and fans because Idzik didn't spend money on the secondary. And the 15 mil they are offering Fitz is over 2 seasons with a 3rd tacked on at 6 mil per. So not quite the same thing. 

25 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You didn't need Revis and Cro (who was also overpaid) and Skrine etc all at one time. Plus we had carry overs from the previous year like Marcus Williams, Pryor, Milliner, etc. The only reason they did it was because of pressure from the press and fans because Idzik didn't spend money on the secondary. And the 15 mil they are offering Fitz is over 2 seasons with a 3rd tacked on at 6 mil per. So not quite the same thing. 

Says who?

For all the complaining about who he signed he took a team from 4 wins to 10.  

Now its an issue and we didnt need to sign those players.  Williams is a backup, Milliner was injured, Pryor started.

No, Fitzs money on any level, is not the same thing.  Revis is at the top of his position, Fitz is a backup QB who plays as a starter here. 

Archived