Too Late for Jets About-Face on Fitz?

JetNation

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I'll never surrender.  Bowles was an idiot for not playing Geno last year for a while.  He'll make it worse this year if Macc also makes a big mistake (by bringing Fitz back).  

Just like you have to make allowances for young QBs messing up, gotta do the same for coaches.  GMs not so much.  But if Fitz is re-signed, it will be the beginning of the end for Macc n Bowles.

Yeah, Bowles was an idiot for going 10-6. He should have started Geno even though the team was winning. 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with a guy believing in himself.  There's something wrong with his boss paying for it if he sucks.  Especially if this has all played out before recently.  Other GMs have been fooled into paying for Fitz.  Macc will have no excuses if he does the same.

I don't care what Casserly (Mac's "daddy" says) it means nothing. Unlike you I'll listen to Jets players including leaders on the team. And players from the past who played with Fitz. They think he's a good Qb. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't care what Casserly (Mac's "daddy" says) it means nothing. Unlike you I'll listen to Jets players including leaders on the team. And players from the past who played with Fitz. They think he's a good Qb. 

Ok, perhaps you're not learning... yet.  I won't give up hope though.  Even if it takes all of the 2016 season, I'll help ya see the light.

Ok, perhaps you're not learning... yet.  I won't give up hope though.  Even if it takes all of the 2016 season, I'll help ya see the light.

So I guess Jets players including both star receivers know nothing about the team and who and what works well. The same goes for coaches including Bowles and Gailey. They win ten games and you're calling them stupid. I guess you'd rather win 4. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So I guess Jets players including both star receivers know nothing about the team and who and what works well. The same goes for coaches including Bowles and Gailey. They win ten games and you're calling them stupid. I guess you'd rather win 4. 

Casserly has spoken.  Resistance is futile.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

They won 10 games because of B.Marshall.  All fitz did was roll his helmet onto the field for those wins.  

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Just one request. Please no more Cruz videos. I'd rather watch reruns of the T. Ocho show. 

Ha, sorry for that.  But this situation is approaching a level of annoyance only matched by listening to a Cruz speech.  Figured it was fitting.

28 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

And and so how many do we win with Geno then. -10?

of course, and it wouldnt be Geno's fault either!  It will be because B.Marshall is on the wrong side of 30, Decker isnt a #1 and Forte was all used up from Chicago.

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

If Fitz comes back, Geno is all but gone.  No way will Macc waste all that money on a guy to not have him start the majority of the season.  Basically if Fitz returns his season, Geno is gone in 2017 because he won't have a chance to earn a new deal.

Petty and Hack don't look especially promising at the moment.  So if Macc is gonna toss aside Geno, he needs Fitz to be around for years.

Fitz as a one year QB is useless as he can't be better than mediocre anyway.  There is value though as a 3 year mediocre veteran to bridge the gap to someone better.

Depends on the development of the other two. Neither looked particularly good; Hackenberg in particular, from the reports we got. If Petty improves greatly over the summer, then he could bump Geno's roster spot. If Geno is still badly outplaying him, then either they carry 4 or Petty is the odd man out if he still looks lost.

The other thing to consider is cutting Geno (or Petty, for that matter) would be purely for the roster spot. Neither move would save money. Geno has likely already earned his bonuses (I see some listing it as roster bonus, but I remember from when he first signed it that his contract was heavy on workout bonuses, and we know he showed up).

All that's left is his $675K salary, but they don't even save that either. As he gets bumped from the top-51, the previous #52 man moves up one slot. Even if we assume that will be an UDFA rookie making $450K, it means they save a grand total of $225K. On a $155,000,000 salary cap, you're talking about 0.14% of their (soft) spending limit. It's a non-factor, so it would be purely over the roster spot, and it would have to coincide with Petty (or possibly Hackenberg) proving he can start if/when Fitz gets injured.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Depends on the development of the other two. Neither looked particularly good; Hackenberg in particular, from the reports we got. If Petty improves greatly over the summer, then he could bump Geno's roster spot. If Geno is still badly outplaying him, then either they carry 4 or Petty is the odd man out if he still looks lost.

The other thing to consider is cutting Geno (or Petty, for that matter) would be purely for the roster spot. Neither move would save money. Geno has likely already earned his bonuses (I see some listing it as roster bonus, but I remember from when he first signed it that his contract was heavy on workout bonuses, and we know he showed up).

All that's left is his $675K salary, but they don't even save that either. As he gets bumped from the top-51, the previous #52 man moves up one slot. Even if we assume that will be an UDFA rookie making $450K, it means they save a grand total of $225K. On a $155,000,000 salary cap, you're talking about 0.14% of their (soft) spending limit. It's a non-factor, so it would be purely over the roster spot, and it would have to coincide with Petty (or possibly Hackenberg) proving he can start if/when Fitz gets injured.

All good points but I'm thinking about 2017.  I'm pretty sure Geno is around all of 2016.  Makes no sense to dump him.  I'm saying if a Fitz is signed this season, Geno is gone after 2016.  Can't imagine the Jets would sign him to any deal w/o some decent playing time this year.

Archived