Too Late for Jets About-Face on Fitz?

JetNation

At the end of the day, what will be, will be.  If Macc believes in Geno Smith, Geno Smith will be our starting QB in 2016, he's cheaper and under contract, younger and with more physical potential, and it will be on his how we play at QB, and what his legacy as a New York Jet is.

If Macc prefers Fitz, at whatever price Macc believes is appropriate, I may object (if it's crazy high), but it will be what it will be, and Fitz (like Geno) can either prove his critics wrong, or he can't and he'll fail. 

In either case, we fans get no say, we're clearly not going to find agreement on either Geno or Fitz.  every opinion has been vented, every stat cited, every argument and analysis made, and we're still completely divided as a fanbase.  Such is life.

Bring on 2016, and we'll see whats what.  Whomever our QB is, we better hope they're up to the challenge, because a fallback, a losing season, is utterly unacceptable.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 hours ago, EM31 said:

Fair enough but he must have had a stretch of time at some point where he played well enough to earn that big deal form the Bills.  I remember seeing at least some of it from down here in NY so the narrative that he has been a bottom-of-the-barrel QB for his first ten years up until last year is simply wrong and that was the one that I was challenging.

See the pattern here?

His first start with the Bills came against us; another win he's credited with. That was game where Jones/Greene rushed for over 320 yards and we still lost behind Sanchez's 5 INTs (plus another from Weatherford). We gave them the ball 5x and they still finished with 10 points in regulation. Then we turned it over again in OT, when they won on a FG, but the game-winning drive came with 0 passing yards from Fitzpatrick. All their yardage came from their RBs on the ground plus a 10 yard penalty on Pace. Again, this is in his 5th NFL season.

He was demonstrably better - his numbers certainly were - a year later, in career year 6 (2010) with yet another favorable pair of starting WRs (T.O. and Evans). They offered him an extension midway through the 2011 season, as they were coming out of their bye, and regretted it soon after: the D shut out Washington despite 2 Fitz turnovers, then they lost 7 of their last 8 games (the lone win, again, thanks to the D: 4 Tebow turnovers and they further scored twice with the offense off the field). Over that span (after getting his big Buffalo contract) Fitz threw 12 TDs and 17 INTs for the remainder of the season. It also began his (still active) streak of 0 wins and 30+ losses in any game when he attempts a pass after the opposition has scored >20 points.

My point is not that Fitz is the worst pile of garbage ever, because he most definitely is not. But rather, if you want to find someone whose introduction to the NFL compares favorably to the one you claim is the worst QB in NFL history, you shouldn't look in the direction of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

To say that the receivers made the Qb last year is silly nonsense and an excuse made by haters for the success of the Qb. Ask the two receivers about that they'll tell you that they were in sync with Fitz. If he sucked as bad as some of you claim they wouldn't want him back or love the guy like they say they do. He's their Qb, maybe not yours but theirs and that's who counts.  Just look at any team with good receivers and they all bail out the Qb. It's in their job description to make great catches,. Not every throw is going to be exactly on the numbers. Some of those even are set plays esp when you have a tall receiver. And there is no stat for the idiotic notion of "almost incompletions" or "almost interceptions." And to go back ten years and criticize the guy for mistakes he made during his rookie contract (the guy was a 7th round draft pick) is not logical. It only proves that he was bad ten years ago. Who cares about that. He was good last year and the team wants him back. Hopefully he'll re-sign. 

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

To say that the receivers made the Qb last year is silly nonsense and an excuse made by haters for the success of the Qb. Ask the two receivers about that they'll tell you that they were in sync with Fitz. If he sucked as bad as some of you claim they wouldn't want him back or love the guy like they say they do. He's their Qb, maybe not yours but theirs and that's who counts.  Just look at any team with good receivers and they all bail out the Qb. It's in their job description to make great catches,. Not every throw is going to be exactly on the numbers. Some of those even are set plays esp when you have a tall receiver. And there is no stat for the idiotic notion of "almost incompletions" or "almost interceptions." And to go back ten years and criticize the guy for mistakes he made during his rookie contract (the guy was a 7th round draft pick) is not logical. It only proves that he was bad ten years ago. Who cares about that. He was good last year and the team wants him back. Hopefully he'll re-sign. 

People claiming Fitz sucks are pretty much Idiots. Im not even sure why half these people even root for this football team.

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

People claiming Fitz sucks are pretty much Idiots. Im not even sure why half these people even root for this football team.

IMO it's rather clear:  

Fitz is, at his very best, an average QB.  To many, he's worse and last year was an anomaly he cannot reproduce.  Thus not worth playing or paying.

Geno is (to them) an unknown.  While he could suck, again, he could be something.  He is young, cheap and has "potential" still.  While the odds of that happening are debatable, it's something, it's hope.  In their minds, the poor first two years either weren't really poor, or are excusable.

Fitz, to many, does not provide hope.  And many (IMO) would prefer to go 4-12 every year with a hope of finding a great franchise QB as the payoff, than go 10-6 every year and miss the playoffs with a guy they believe provides no hope of any kind, for now or the future.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

His arm strength has plenty to do with the WRs having to help him out.  Weak arm means timing must be perfect, can't zip a pass into tight coverage.  Pretty basic

Where did anyone say his arm strength had anything to do with that INT Markie? 

as far as the top portion of your response, here we go again with another jet nut straw man argument.

as far as the bolded, I thought it was fairly obvious that the poster I responded to was connecting fitz's lack of arm strength with the interception in the endzone. pretty basic

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah because he wouldn't be playing with a different team.

And somehow when he played in Oakland he pretty much put up a Fitz like game numbers wise.  Other than with more yardage than Fitz usually puts up.  

Of course the response will be that they lost, as if every Fitz game last year was a Mario like win.  No bad games by Fitz last season.  

When Geno had his opportunity in Oak he choked when it mattered at 6 min left & again at 4 min left.

The response about them losing is important.  I hate to tell you but in competition there are winners and there are losers.  Most of us would prefer to be on the winning side.

Geno has shown nothing in the NFL but to be a loser ... Be it in 2013 ... Be it in 2014 ... Be it in 2015

1 hour ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I also saw the all 22 play and for the life of me, cannot find it. there is a reason it was never posted on this board. the interception doesn't look nearly as bad with the sky view. as far as throwing the ball to ivory, in hindsight, absolutely it would have been the better option. but you don't need to see the "all 22" version of the play to see that ivory wasn't going to score on the play. its evident in the highlights video that mike135 posted on page 9.

0% chance ivory walks into the end zone

maybe a 5% chance chance that ivory trucks over 4 defenders and gets into the end zone

most likely scenario. 1st and goal at the 8 yard line

in hindsight, absolutely the better decision

I felt the need to point out that "ivory walks  into the endzone" was pure exaggeration. maybe not by you except for this one instance, but there has been plenty of exaggeration going on the past few months

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I don't think anyone disputes that

That's why I laugh at these people who think we'll go 4-12 next season if Geno starts

Half that ... Unless we get some extremely lucky bounces!

5 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I also saw the all 22 play and for the life of me, cannot find it. there is a reason it was never posted on this board. the interception doesn't look nearly as bad with the sky view. as far as throwing the ball to ivory, in hindsight, absolutely it would have been the better option. but you don't need to see the "all 22" version of the play to see that ivory wasn't going to score on the play. its evident in the highlights video that mike135 posted on page 9.

0% chance ivory walks into the end zone

maybe a 5% chance chance that ivory trucks over 4 defenders and gets into the end zone

most likely scenario. 1st and goal at the 8 yard line

in hindsight, absolutely the better decision

I felt the need to point out that "ivory walks  into the endzone" was pure exaggeration. maybe not by you except for this one instance, but there has been plenty of exaggeration going on the past few months

ivory.jpg

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Lol, riiiiight.:rolleyes:

Having watched those games, absolutely.  

I'd be amazed if any objective observer would give primary credit for those wins to one of the worst producing QB in the NFL that season (31st ranked in passing, remember), and not to the combination of the 11th ranked defense and the 6th ranked rushing Offense.     

Yes, heaven forbid we cite facts and references and use critical thinking skills to evaluate those facts in these discussions, amiright?  GENO WON 8 AND THAT'S THAT!!!!  

Well, I guess when you have no argument in the facts to support your position, resorting to your base instinct of "insult early, insult often" is always an option.  

Hey, if you insult me only 10 more times, I hear Geno will get a 9th win assigned to him in 2013.  I say DO IT!  

I hate Mike Vick for what he did, and I express that hatred any time the opportunity arises.  Simple as that really.

You're not a fan of facts, eh?  I guess you can't be, since they simply do not support the argument you're attempting to make about Geno and "his" 8 wins in 2013.  Same way you ignore "his" 3 wins the following year, and the overall similarity of that roster with the Fitz-led roster.  Inconvenient facts are inconvenient and must thus be denied.

You'd have to have critical thinking skill for me to rate those skills.  Reading your reply, it's rather clear you're lacking in that area, hence the constant return to insult and your constant disdain for "dumb numbers" and "pointless stats" you simply lack the skills to fully understand and evaluate.

You're akin to trying to debate international macro economic theory with a petulant 6 year old.  

You're the worst kind of poster.  You throw an opinion out, as fact and then get pissed at anyone who disagrees with you.  And for their effort you insult their intelligence, insulting them as if you're superior.  Not just me, anyone who does agree with you.  

Somewhere along the way you've become a boring old pompous ass who would do better playing with himself.  

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're the worst kind of poster.  You throw an opinion out, as fact and then get pissed at anyone who disagrees with you.  And for their effort you insult their intelligence, insulting them as if you're superior.  Not just me, anyone who does agree with you.  

Somewhere along the way you've become a boring old pompous ass who would do better playing with himself.  

Let me be clear Nut, I'm not pissed at you at all.  You lack the seriousness of thought or analytical skills to generate anything more than mild amusement.  

What I am doing is defeating your counterfactual arguments with facts, statistics and evidence, because that's how proper arguments are made.  

For example, you continue to bloviate angrily about "8 wins" in 2013, when Smith produced amongst the worst passing offenses in the league that year (31st ranked), and was supported by an upper-level Defense (ranked 11th) and an elite running game (ranked 6th).  Yes, those "dumb numbers" you have so little respect for.  Clearly, the prime movers of those victories his rookie year was not him and his skills leading the passing offense, it was the D and Running game that carried him.  And the film shows that out.  Which is why opinion outside of this forum is universal that Geno Smith was (in 2013) one of, if not the, worst starting QB in the NFL that year.   Same as he was in 2014 when a weaker defense could no longer support his poor play at QB, resulting in a 4 win season. 

Frankly, at this stage I'm bored with the same old same old exchanges with you.  I've said my peace on the topic of the Jets QB on the last page.  What will be will be.  If Geno is going to prove me wrong, it won't have anything to do with anything we think here.  I'll root, however grudgingly, for whomever wears the Green & White and will, as always, continue to hope for the best.    It's Macc's call, and if it's Geno, we all better hope he is vastly superior to Geno Smith 2013-2015, or it's going to be a long and unpleasant season again.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Let me be clear Nut, I'm not pissed at you at all.  You lack the seriousness of thought or analytical skills to generate anything more than mild amusement.  

What I am doing is defeating your counterfactual arguments with facts, statistics and evidence, because that's how proper arguments are made.  

For example, you continue to bloviate angrily about "8 wins" in 2013, when Smith produced amongst the worst passing offenses in the league that year (31st ranked), and was supported by an upper-level Defense (ranked 11th) and an elite running game (ranked 6th).  Yes, those "dumb numbers" you have so little respect for.  Clearly, the prime movers of those victories his rookie year was not him and his skills leading the passing offense, it was the D and Running game that carried him.  And the film shows that out.  Which is why opinion outside of this forum is universal that Geno Smith was (in 2013) one of, if not the, worst starting QB in the NFL that year.   Same as he was in 2014 when a weaker defense could no longer support his poor play at QB, resulting in a 4 win season. 

Frankly, at this stage I'm bored with the same old same old exchanges with you.  I've said my peace on the topic of the Jets QB on the last page.  What will be will be.  If Geno is going to prove me wrong, it won't have anything to do with anything we think here.  I'll root, however grudgingly, for whomever wears the Green & White and will, as always, continue to hope for the best.    It's Macc's call, and if it's Geno, we all better hope he is vastly superior to Geno Smith 2013-2015, or it's going to be a long and unpleasant season again.

Blow it out your ass.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I would have expected no less from you Nut.  A good day to you as well.

Leave it to you to insult me and then get twatty when I tell you to stick it.

Move on already, you cant be serious

16 minutes ago, fltflo said:

So of Fitz is the starter and goes 1-3 the "fans " would be okay with that ??!

To me it's a different scenario. If the Jets sign Fitz after a 10-6 and a good year and our best offense in years. And most fans think Fitz was an integral part of that. Then not angry because we feel the org did their job and signed the BAP at Qb. No one can guarantee any player will have a good year. It's kind of like the Mets and Cespedes. They're not hitting now even with him and losing games. But not the orgs fault because they went out and got the BAP and spent the money. 

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

IMO it's rather clear:  

Fitz is, at his very best, an average QB.  To many, he's worse and last year was an anomaly he cannot reproduce.  Thus not worth playing or paying.

Geno is (to them) an unknown.  While he could suck, again, he could be something.  He is young, cheap and has "potential" still.  While the odds of that happening are debatable, it's something, it's hope.  In their minds, the poor first two years either weren't really poor, or are excusable.

Fitz, to many, does not provide hope.  And many (IMO) would prefer to go 4-12 every year with a hope of finding a great franchise QB as the payoff, than go 10-6 every year and miss the playoffs with a guy they believe provides no hope of any kind, for now or the future.

War I think in this offense Fitz can be better than last year. For a few reasons.

1. While Fitz knew this offense and was able to step in with little problem the rest of the offense had to learn their way the first half of the season. This year everyone is that much more familiar we all saw how this offense clicked the second half of last season. It was night and day different than early in the season.

2. We will have a backfield that can run, catch and pass protect and Forte will be a huge difference maker for Fitz who had next to no check down options last year without a TE and missing Powell for most of the year. Forte is also a player who can open up the field even more for Marshall and Decker. That's not even mentioning Powel and the burst he showed at the end of last season.

3. We might actually have a number 3 WR this year and with the new additions at the very least we will have good solid competition .

4. We have some promise at TE with Amaro coming back now while he's not anything special that this point he certainly has the physical ability to be a force at some point and anything is better than the crap we put on the field last year with 8 receptions.

A side from the offense our Defense got a lot faster this offseason and that will be a big plus at the LB position. We have a solid front and a solid secondary so speed at LB may very well have been the missing link for Todd Bowles defense. He loves to blitz and that's pure speed and instinct, so we may rush the passer well while these kids Jenkins/Lee adapt to the whole scheme.

This team is built to win NOW that's why Macc Plugged holes with solid vets. This is not a rebuild year and that's the leverage Fitz currently holds. People saying Fitz has no leverage have no clue IMHO. The Jets want to get this deal done and there is no way in hell this new FO and coaching staff want to put their reps and careers in the freakin hands of Geno Smith.

I think with Fitz at the helm and no catastrophic injuries we can win 11 games ...We should have beat the Pats both times last year the time for this team to shine is now. 

You don't need a big arm in todays NFL.... If you look at the over all league stats the reason why QB';s are posting insane Comp percentage numbers is the short passing game. If you look at the consistently good to great QB's in this league they all do this now and its basically an extension of the running game using the short passing attack its why the Pats are so successful its the QB and the system so its easy just to plug in players. Some posters on this site don't seem to get that, they see the league is favoring the pass but they have no clue that its the short passing game and ball control that wins. Gun Slingers ALWAYS get exposed in the playoffs just ask Brett Favre. Joe Montana made a career of destroying defenses with the short pass so does Tom Brady and so did Peyton Manning the list is long but you get the point.

Fitz had Zero Pick sixes last year he had minimal fumbles and his ints were all on our side of the field minimizing damage. That's why Fitz is a good QB he will succeed with this offense and if the Defense steps up watch out. He also proved he can take this team back and win games just watch the second half of last year.

On 6/28/2016 at 10:51 AM, Rangers9 said:

12/6/6 for a Qb is chicken feed. Nobody is paying a starting Qb that amount of money. You expect your team to adequately budget for the Qb position and have the cap space to fit him in at a competitive salary. I'm not talking about make believe numbers that some of our silly posters are fabricating. If Hack is Mac's guy then have the cojones to start him now. It's not like rookies don't start their first season. Unless Mac is afraid to start his future maybe franchise Qb. I mean most Jets fans look at our roster and see a potential playoff team this year. 

You seriously do not get that Fitz is NOT on any planet a "starting QB" He is a journeyman career backup that started a season because of injury to the starter and then had a decent season. He is still and will always be an above average backup, nothing more.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You seriously do not get that Fitz is NOT on any planet a "starting QB" He is a journeyman career backup that started a season because of injury to the starter and then had a decent season. He is still and will always be an above average backup, nothing more.

You must be joking. The guy has 105 starts and been the day 1 starter for at least 3 teams. How is that being a backup. Geno was never named the starter last summer. He was as is protocol as returning player and the starter in 2014 at the top of the depth chart but Bowles never named him as starter. And if so why didn't as a returning injured player they give him back his job. He never had it. 

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Unfortunately he is the best option out there for us in 2016

If Geno starts, all we'll be doing is going right down the same sh*thole that we did the last two seasons Geno started. He had his chance and he's an idiot with the football and a f*cking punk.

It statements like this,especially how you end it with the personal insult that makes it hard to see how you can or want to be even slightly objective in this matter.

While many of us who would like to see Geno start for both financial reasons,crazy to pay a QB you plan on only playing one or two years if that,big money. An just because we know Geno has much better PHYSICAL skills then Fitz.

Many fans such as yourself seem to have a personal HATE that blinds you. One has to wonder where this hate is based and why it's so strong.

You are certainly entitled to you opinion, and while I vehemently disagree, I respect your right to have it.

Yet, I want you and others to know, many of us who want Geno to start would have no problem having Fitz back in his original role as backup and at a salary that allows the Jets room to maneuver this year and next.

I also want you to know that I appreciated all the Fitz did last year to make it a exciting season. I recognize that Geno may fall flat on his face and be as bad as he was and never amount to more then a mediocre back up.

Yet, I want to be damn sure we are not giving up on a player who will move on and play well for someone else.

Geno is a win/win with our schedule this year, if he plays well we may have our answer at

QB for the next few years or until one of the other kids unseat him. If he sucks, then the chance of getting a top draft choice maybe even a can't miss QB prospect is a possibility.

2 hours ago, fltflo said:

It statements like this,especially how you end it with the personal insult that makes it hard to see how you can or want to be even slightly objective in this matter.

While many of us who would like to see Geno start for both financial reasons,crazy to pay a QB you plan on only playing one or two years if that,big money. An just because we know Geno has much better PHYSICAL skills then Fitz.

Many fans such as yourself seem to have a personal HATE that blinds you. One has to wonder where this hate is based and why it's so strong.

You are certainly entitled to you opinion, and while I vehemently disagree, I respect your right to have it.

Yet, I want you and others to know, many of us who want Geno to start would have no problem having Fitz back in his original role as backup and at a salary that allows the Jets room to maneuver this year and next.

I also want you to know that I appreciated all the Fitz did last year to make it a exciting season. I recognize that Geno may fall flat on his face and be as bad as he was and never amount to more then a mediocre back up.

Yet, I want to be damn sure we are not giving up on a player who will move on and play well for someone else.

Geno is a win/win with our schedule this year, if he plays well we may have our answer at

QB for the next few years or until one of the other kids unseat him. If he sucks, then the chance of getting a top draft choice maybe even a can't miss QB prospect is a possibility.

Well, I must hand it you, you were thoughtful in your response. But the fact still remains, and I don't care if you think I am lacking objectivity, Geno SUCKS. Everyone knows it, including YOU, so why not just acknowledge it? On top of that, on a personal level, he's a F*cking punk? How is that NOT objective of the facts? His play was, IN FACT, the very lowest of all starting QB's in the league two years running, AND he did something off the field that caused very serious embarrassment for the NYJ. So you tell me sir, how am I NOT being completely objective about the situation? The fact is, he EARNED his insults.

And BTW, stop thinking there's any scenario where the team is "making out" by starting Fitz and saving money over Geno. That's not how COACHING TENURES work. If you want to keep your job, you try to win EVERY, SINGLE game you possibly can. FITZ gives us our best chance at winning, Geno doesn't. That's crystal clear common sense....

4 hours ago, fltflo said:

Unfortunately the Fitz fanboys can't get past saying Geno SUCKS (caps for emphasis), it's you know, a FACT.  And a punk, (no need to use caps).  Even YOU know it.

lol, seriously, it's a waste of time.  

9 hours ago, fltflo said:

TLDR:  Those who oppose starting Geno Smith are closet racists, nbs?  Lol, right.

As for opposition, perhaps you forgot things like this:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/geno-smith-voted-worst-qb-in-nfl-for-second-straight-year-072115

Geno Smith, two years as a starting QB, the worst QB in the NFL both years.  In year three, with yet another unearned opportunity in front of him, he managed to provide one of the most embarrassing events in Jets history, having the starting QB put on the injured list by his own guy.  

If you cannot understand why "some fans" may oppose Geno Smith on the basis of being the worst QB in the NFL his two full seasons, and an utter embarrassment in his third season, then you're simply not trying very hard to understand the opposing viewpoint.  Conversely, the pro-Geno position makes some logical sense, he is cheaper, younger, more physically gifted, agreed on all counts.  But none of that matters if one thinks he will never "get it" and actually improve.

All the same old same old rhetoric about "not giving up on a player who will move on and play well for someone else", "just needs a fair chance", "just needs talent around him", "just needs better coaching"......we've heard it all before, almost to the letter.  Mark "Buttfumble" Sanchez had all the same things said about him.  And while he was pretty bad, he wasn't the worst QB in the NFL in his time here.  

Perhaps you may want to consider that some fans feel they've seen enough of Geno Smith, and feel an accurate opinion can, in fact, be formed based on the three years he has been a NY Jet, and they find him seriously lacking.  Not that some veiled racism is behind it, but an objective view of Geno's poor play and poor behavior since he arrived in NY.

I mean really, do you think if we cut bait with Geno now, next year he'll go to New England, replace Tom Brady, and win 4 Super Bowls?  The last thing that drives me to want to see Geno play is fear he'll win elsewhere.

Archived