RIP Buddy Ryan

courtnj18

Don't do this often, and am generally not affected when someone I don't actually know passes, but for whatever reason, this one got me in the feels for a split second. Not because of SB3 - I was still 17 years away from being born at the time. Plus, I didn't even know that the great Buddy Ryan was on that team until we hired Rex. But what he did for the NFL - countering the west coast offense and innovating an entire system and style of play to bring defense back into the game, was revolutionary. QBs needing to read defenses and understand the mechanics of each level of the defense - that started because of Buddy's attacking and randomized style of defense.

More than any of that though, personally, because of Buddy, the Jets got to hire a coach who gave me the best three year period of my life as a football fan. Regardless of how that turned sour quickly, I'm not one to forget all of the serious awesomeness that began from the day we hired Rex in '09 till the Victor Cruz 99 yard TD. 

Thanks Buddy, for all of that. 

I loved the Buddy Ryan style. Loved watching the Bears defense crush the patsies and later watching the Eagles become a major foe. Rex Ryan IMO was saddled with terrible GM's here in NY. They were cheap jerks that couldn't pick talent to save their lives. It was bad GM's that cost Rex his job in NY. If you gave this guy the talent, he would make something of it.

That Super Bowl III Defense was  one of the best ever. The Jets D was there for a while. Namath had to grow up and he did. Buddy was a great NFL character. The 85 Bears will always be remembered I really enjoyed the way they waxed the Pats that day.

Big Perry scored too. RIP Buddy. You will always be remembered.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

A different sport but Pat Summitt passed today as well.  

2 absolutely legendary coaches who revolutionized the sport that they made their lives passion.

Sad day

One  of the best coaches ever. If she was in men's sports they have  statues of her.  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Buddy was the BEST DC for a 2-3 year period.  I dont think REX was ever the best.

Rex isn't even better than the guy he replaced in Buffalo.

Nor was Rex better than most of the other DC's before him in Baltimore, where that roster was single-handedly responsible for the most significant uptick in Peter Principle'ing defensive coordinators in the history of the league.

Archived