Jump to content

are jets a QB away from being a super bowl contender ? ? ?


Recommended Posts

Today's question : Are the New York Jets a legitimate quarterback away from being a Super Bowl contender ?

James Walker, Miami Dolphins reporter : How legit ? Are the Jets aTom Brady or Aaron Rodgers away from being a Super Bowl contender? Yes. Are they a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Ryan Tannehill away from the Super Bowl? Absolutely not. The Jets have nice pieces, especially on defense. But let's not get too excited. This team is in the "playoff conversation," not the "Super Bowl conversation." There is a difference. In fact, I view the Jets as a prime candidate to take a step back from their 10-win season of a year ago. A lot of things went right for New York, including Fitzpatrick having a career year. I don't see the Jets getting double-digit wins and that same level of production out of their quarterback in 2016, regardless if Fitzpatrick is under center.

Mike Reiss, New England Patriots reporter : Count me as an early believer in Todd Bowles as a head coach, and if he continues to grow in the role, why wouldn't the Jets be a Super Bowl contender with a legitimate quarterback? I watched the Jets play the Patriots extremely tough two times in 2015, splitting games with them, and then they had a playoff berth in their grasp if they won at Buffalo in Week 17. It obviously didn't work out, and feel free to throw a penalty flag on me for excessive optimism, but if you subscribe to the theory that the idea is to make the playoffs and then anything can happen (e.g., Jets in 2010), this team isn't far away.

Mike Rodak, Buffalo Bills reporter : No, I think we can cool the, um, Jets on that talk. Like Mike, I've been impressed with Bowles as a head coach and I think the Jets' defense was underrated last season -- and perhaps as good or better than Rex Ryan's best work in New York. But in my three years covering the Bills, I've watched mediocre Ryan- and Doug Marrone-coached teams walk right over the Jets, who have a 1-5 record against the Bills since 2013. The talent across the Jets' roster has improved over the past few years, but it's not at the level where I think a quarterback would put them in serious Super Bowl contention, especially on offense. Also, let's not forget that the Jets' biggest obstacle to reaching the Super Bowl will be the Patriots, who have reached the AFC Championship Game in the past five seasons and haven't showed signs of slowing down.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60863/afc-east-qa-are-jets-a-qb-away-from-being-a-super-bowl-contender

Link to post
Share on other sites

Total joke to even mention such an outlandish claim. The Jets have almost nothing on offense. They have a very old OL that is due to fall off the map, they have ZERO depth at OL, they do not have a TE, they lack depth in a big way at WR, they need a FB, they need better coaching, the list goes on and on.

A QB would automatically make this team much better, but it will not push them over the top.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Total joke to even mention such an outlandish claim. The Jets have almost nothing on offense. They have a very old OL that is due to fall off the map, they have ZERO depth at OL, they do not have a TE, they lack depth in a big way at WR, they need a FB, they need better coaching, the list goes on and on.

A QB would automatically make this team much better, but it will not push them over the top.

Brandon marshall, eric decker, matt forte = almost nothing :lol:

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kelly said:

Today's question : Are the New York Jets a legitimate quarterback away from being a Super Bowl contender ?

James Walker, Miami Dolphins reporter : How legit ? Are the Jets aTom Brady or Aaron Rodgers away from being a Super Bowl contender? Yes. Are they a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Ryan Tannehill away from the Super Bowl? Absolutely not. The Jets have nice pieces, especially on defense. But let's not get too excited. This team is in the "playoff conversation," not the "Super Bowl conversation." There is a difference. In fact, I view the Jets as a prime candidate to take a step back from their 10-win season of a year ago. A lot of things went right for New York, including Fitzpatrick having a career year. I don't see the Jets getting double-digit wins and that same level of production out of their quarterback in 2016, regardless if Fitzpatrick is under center.

Mike Reiss, New England Patriots reporter : Count me as an early believer in Todd Bowles as a head coach, and if he continues to grow in the role, why wouldn't the Jets be a Super Bowl contender with a legitimate quarterback? I watched the Jets play the Patriots extremely tough two times in 2015, splitting games with them, and then they had a playoff berth in their grasp if they won at Buffalo in Week 17. It obviously didn't work out, and feel free to throw a penalty flag on me for excessive optimism, but if you subscribe to the theory that the idea is to make the playoffs and then anything can happen (e.g., Jets in 2010), this team isn't far away.

Mike Rodak, Buffalo Bills reporter : No, I think we can cool the, um, Jets on that talk. Like Mike, I've been impressed with Bowles as a head coach and I think the Jets' defense was underrated last season -- and perhaps as good or better than Rex Ryan's best work in New York. But in my three years covering the Bills, I've watched mediocre Ryan- and Doug Marrone-coached teams walk right over the Jets, who have a 1-5 record against the Bills since 2013. The talent across the Jets' roster has improved over the past few years, but it's not at the level where I think a quarterback would put them in serious Super Bowl contention, especially on offense. Also, let's not forget that the Jets' biggest obstacle to reaching the Super Bowl will be the Patriots, who have reached the AFC Championship Game in the past five seasons and haven't showed signs of slowing down.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60863/afc-east-qa-are-jets-a-qb-away-from-being-a-super-bowl-contender

Amazingly, the Pats reporter is the only one that understands the way this game works.

The Bills and Dolphins reporters are both building their arguments around past results. Stupidly.

All this little snippet does is show you the difference between a big market and 2 small market sports reporters.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Was telling a friend of mine the other day that if we had Eli, we would make it to the super bowl. I absolutely stand by that.

If we didn't fall on our faces vs. the Bills in week 17, I think this Jets team could have beaten any of those AFC teams and made it last year. The field was pretty weak... it was a good year to get in and go on a run. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kelly said:

Also, let's not forget that the Jets' biggest obstacle to reaching the Super Bowl will be the Patriots, who have reached the AFC Championship Game in the past five seasons and haven't showed signs of slowing down.

The Jets should have swept the Patriots last year and the only reason Buffalo won was they had a matchup that was difficult for the Jets to match. Plus, Fitz imploded in the last game for sure. I don't think there is any doubt the Jets have a top five defense and with a solid QB they could make a deep playoff run. Is Fitz that guy? He never has been in the past and like Bill Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are" and Fitz is well under .500 in his career. Maybe he is a late bloomer or maybe he just found the right combination, but he is miles ahead of Geno Smith. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

 If we didn't fall on our faces vs. the Bills in week 17, I think this Jets team could have beaten any of those AFC teams and made it last year. The field was pretty weak... it was a good year to get in and go on a run. 

The jets couldn't beat buffalo once and yet you think were good enough to beat Denver at home? the only thing the jets showed last year was that they were good at padding stats against the softest teams in the league :lol:

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cant wait said:

The jets couldn't beat buffalo once and yet you think were good enough to beat Denver at home? the only thing the jets showed last year was that they were good at padding stats against the softest teams in the league :lol:

That's how football works.

Ironically, given that your username is "can't wait", you seem to forget that we beat a number of teams we shouldn't have in our most recent playoff runs.

Also, we beat the Patriots the week before.

Do you even watch football brah???

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Amazingly, the Pats reporter is the only one that understands the way this game works.

The Bills and Dolphins reporters are both building their arguments around past results. Stupidly.

All this little snippet does is show you the difference between a big market and 2 small market sports reporters.

 

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's the NFL in 2016. Every team without a QB is a QB away from a Super Bowl.

For those that didn't understand the bold when I said it... RJF sums it up succinctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If we didn't fall on our faces vs. the Bills in week 17, I think this Jets team could have beaten any of those AFC teams and made it last year. The field was pretty weak... it was a good year to get in and go on a run. 

It's scary to imagine Von Miller and Dware going against the shell of Brick and Breno. We wouldn't be able to move the ball against Denver imo. Though, they probably couldn't either with the shell of Peyton against us. I don't think we could have beaten KC in KC either.

I wouldn't be a Jets fan if I thought that Houston could have beaten us twice last year, and obviously we could have beaten the pats. Cincy would have been tough too, but, they had AJ McCarron playing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Integrity28 said:

That's how football works.

Ironically, given that your username is "can't wait", you seem to forget that we beat a number of teams we shouldn't have in our most recent playoff runs.

Also, we beat the Patriots the week before.

Do you even watch football brah???

Oh you mean the 3rd string JV pats team that messed up the coin flip in OT? the same one ryan tannehill shredded the week after? fitzpatrick has never won a big game in his 11 year career, and to assume he was going to go on a super bowl run (if he hadn't thrown 3 picks in the 4th quarter of week 17 obviously) is laughable

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BroadwayJets said:

It's scary to imagine Von Miller and Dware going against the shell of Brick and Breno. We wouldn't be able to move the ball against Denver imo. Though, they probably couldn't either with the shell of Peyton against us. I don't think we could have beaten KC in KC either.

I wouldn't be a Jets fan if I thought that Houston could have beaten us twice last year, and obviously we could have beaten the pats. Cincy would have been tough too, but, they had AJ McCarron playing.

I read all the time about the things that should happen, but I mostly care about the the chance to see what does happen.  

Like "fitz should have thrown 50 interceptions", I preferred watching the season and seeing what he did do. It was a fun year, with a horrible end.

Get into the tournament. Lots of things that should or shouldn't happen DO happen all the time.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

It's scary to imagine Von Miller and Dware going against the shell of Brick and Breno. We wouldn't be able to move the ball against Denver imo. Though, they probably couldn't either with the shell of Peyton against us. I don't think we could have beaten KC in KC either.

I wouldn't be a Jets fan if I thought that Houston could have beaten us twice last year, and obviously we could have beaten the pats. Cincy would have been tough too, but, they had AJ McCarron playing.

Denver didn't have too hard a time scoring against Carolina, but fitz would have thrown them at least 3 picks so it's a moot point. if buffalo was able to beat fitz twice last season then Houston was clearly capable of doing so, watching fitz stare down receivers and jump routes for easy picks. It's a joke to think he could beat a championship caliber defense in a playoff game

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Oh you mean the 3rd string JV pats team that messed up the coin flip in OT? the same one ryan tannehill shredded the week after? fitzpatrick has never won a big game in his 11 year career, and to assume he was going to go on a super bowl run (if he hadn't thrown 3 picks in the 4th quarter of week 17 obviously) is laughable

I mean the Pats team that was the #2 seed in the playoffs, that would have been the #1 seed if we hadn't beaten them, and likely with home field advantage they'd have gone to and won the SB. Yes, that Pats team.

Like I said, the field of teams in the AFC wasn't very good last year. A run, even with a bad QB, was possible. I think you're missing the point, as you normally do. Not saying Fitz was going to take us on a run. I'm saying, because of how bad the AFC was, that this team could have lined up and beaten any of those teams. Nothing was a sure thing as it has been in past years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Denver didn't have too hard a time scoring against Carolina, but fitz would have thrown them at least 3 picks so it's a moot point. if buffalo was able to beat fitz twice last season then Houston was clearly capable of doing so, watching fitz stare down receivers and jump routes for easy picks. It's a joke to think he could beat a championship caliber defense in a playoff game

Hypotheticals ftw, amiright?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Not saying Fitz was going to take us on a run. I'm saying, because of how bad the AFC was, that this team could have lined up and beaten any of those teams. Nothing was a sure thing as it has been in past years.

Which is why Bowles F-ed up so badly last season.  Should have given the young QB w/potential a shot instead of playing the 11 year failure.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

And don't get the wrong impression buddy... I'm not defending Fitz here, I'm just ridiculing the terrible arguments you construct. Even if I agreed with your premise, I'd make it a point not to argue that premise with make-believe jibberish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Which is why Bowles F-ed up so badly last season.  Should have given the young QB w/potential a shot instead of playing the 11 year failure.

Another one that doesn't understand cause and effect. 

If Geno start all year, it doesn't automatically put us in the same position for a win-and-in week 17. 

Hypotheticals don't make for good arguments, yo.

Sheesh.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Hypotheticals ftw, amiright?

What? no, you're not right. the jets were not good enough to go to the super bowl last year, even with all the lucky breaks they had all season it wasn't enough. all I want to see from this team right now is some young talent to start breaking out so this team can start building a strong foundation they can win with. I'm not expecting a super bowl right now

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries we have Hackenmcproject and Geno to lead us to the promised land.  Actually I do think the team would have a super bowl shot if they had a really good QB.  Pleny of examples of teams just getting there and then getting hot at the right time.  (See the Giants.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Another one that doesn't understand cause and effect. 

If Geno start all year, it doesn't automatically put us in the same position for a win-and-in week 17. 

Hypotheticals don't make for good arguments, yo.

Sheesh.

:mellow: really?  

But flat out dreaming an 11 year failure is our best hope at success is smart?

Playing Geno last season would've led to one of two things:

  1. Locking up the playoffs in Week 15 or 16. (Most likely outcome in my opinion.)
  2. Knowing to release Geno while also being able to re-sign Fitz for cheaper.  Though it's tough to figure how much cheaper.  Fitz initially asking for ridiculous money (like 16mil I think) after failing miserably week 17 makes it difficult.  Dude is obviously a bit insane or flat out dumb.  Regardless though, probably could have signed him for less than 6mil if he was taken out after week 7.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, cant wait said:

What? no, you're not right. the jets were not good enough to go to the super bowl last year, even with all the lucky breaks they had all season it wasn't enough. all I want to see from this team right now is some young talent to start breaking out so this team can start building a strong foundation they can win with. I'm not expecting a super bowl right now

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

:mellow: really?  

But flat out dreaming an 11 year failure is our best hope at success is smart?

Playing Geno last season would've led to one of two things:

  1. Locking up the playoffs in Week 15 or 16. (Most likely outcome in my opinion.)
  2. Knowing to release Geno while also being able to re-sign Fitz for cheaper.  Though it's tough to figure how much cheaper.  Fitz initially asking for ridiculous money (like 16mil I think) after failing miserably week 17 makes it difficult.  Dude is obviously a bit insane or flat out dumb.  Regardless though, probably could have signed him for less than 6mil if he was taken out after week 7.

False argument.

Good gravy... this site gets dumber by the day.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every team that isn't a contender is a QB away. Every team that has a QB is a contender every year. There are a very few exceptions that can win regardless but the window is tiny with FA, like the Broncos last year. An example is the Vegas line before Manning went down in Indy was probably 10 wins and that team sucked enough to get Andrew Luck and win one game without him. We aren't anywhere near as good as the Broncos and nowhere near as bad as that Indy team. We like every other team are in purgatory till we find a QB and I don't need a beat writer to realize it.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

If we didn't fall on our faces vs. the Bills in week 17, I think this Jets team could have beaten any of those AFC teams and made it last year. The field was pretty weak... it was a good year to get in and go on a run. 

Still a firm believer in this, and it's why that week 17 loss was so HARD! The AFC was wide open.. Pats were decimated, Broncos were nearly entirely reliant on their defense, Andy Dalton was injured ultimately ending cincy's chances, Texans were very mediocre, and KC played nobody but low tier teams. Football is heavily based on momentum, and we were clicking on all cylinders. Our defense would keep us in every game, the jets very well could have made a run. I truly do not think the broncos were that much if any better than the jets were in week 17. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Amazingly, the Pats reporter is the only one that understands the way this game works.

The Bills and Dolphins reporters are both building their arguments around past results. Stupidly.

All this little snippet does is show you the difference between a big market and 2 small market sports reporters.

I thought the fish reporter was spot on, and the Pats reporter was too vague and optimistic. What constitutes a "legit QB"? As the fish guy said, not Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I made a comment in another thread that if the Jets had a Phil Rivers or Eli Manning caliber QB they'd be in the conversation for sure...even a Palmer or Ryan might put them there.  But instead, we're crying for Ryan ******* Fitzpatrick.  

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If we didn't fall on our faces vs. the Bills in week 17, I think this Jets team could have beaten any of those AFC teams and made it last year. The field was pretty weak... it was a good year to get in and go on a run. 

You mean if fitz didn't pull the ultimate choke job in buf? I agree 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...