NFL.com Ranks Jets’ Bowles 22nd Among Head Coaches

JetNation

Todd Bowles

By Glenn Naughton

NFL.com published their head coach “power rankings” this week and some Jets fans won’t be thrilled to see Todd Bowles finishing ahead of only a handful of first-year coaches and some of the worst the league has to offer, coming in at number 22.

Despite the low ranking, NFL.com did have some flattering comments about Bowles.  His handling of quarterback Geno Smith beating beaten up by a teammate and exceeding many expectations by leading his team to 10 wins in 2015 was highlighted, but his team’s week 17 performance against the Bills didn’t do him any favors.

For the complete list, click here.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
yfax0X0x8RI

Click here to read the full story...

Pretty fair list.  You cant rank Bowles too high right now.  He was a rookie and had a ton of rookie HC blunders from clock management, time out usage, game plans, no adjustments, favoritism toward Veterans and then ultimately, he pissed away a golden opportunity to make the playoffs and that cant be overlooked.  The Jets had their best offense in 20 years, a top 10 defense and offense, played a historically easy schedule and still missed the playoffs.

I do have some issues with the list.  Personally, I find Sean Payton to be insanely overrated.  Sure, he won the SB but the dude sucks.  Lets be real.  He's got a HOF QB and 5 out of his 10 years there, they failed to eclipse .500 Football.  That's pathetic. 

And while I think Bruce Arians is a good coach, one playoff win in 3 years while getting drubbed by the Panthers isnt the look of a top 5 coach.

I would love to see what Mike McCarthy could do without Aaron Rodgers.  I think he's terribly overrated on this list. 

Andy Reid is a pathetic in game coach.  I think he's a solid big picture guy but terrible in game. 

I could probably take issue with Chuck Pagano as well but I wont.  It's pretty tough to rank those mid tier guys.

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pretty fair list.  You cant rank Bowles too high right now.  He was a rookie and had a ton of rookie HC blunders from clock management, time out usage, game plans, no adjustments, favoritism toward Veterans and then ultimately, he pissed away a golden opportunity to make the playoffs and that cant be overlooked.  The Jets had their best offense in 20 years, a top 10 defense and offense, played a historically easy schedule and still missed the playoffs.

I do have some issues with the list.  Personally, I find Sean Payton to be insanely overrated.  Sure, he won the SB but the dude sucks.  Lets be real.  He's got a HOF QB and 5 out of his 10 years there, they failed to eclipse .500 Football.  That's pathetic. 

And while I think Bruce Arians is a good coach, one playoff win in 3 years while getting drubbed by the Panthers isnt the look of a top 5 coach.

I would love to see what Mike McCarthy could do without Aaron Rodgers.  I think he's terribly overrated on this list. 

Andy Reid is a pathetic in game coach.  I think he's a solid big picture guy but terrible in game. 

I could probably take issue with Chuck Pagano as well but I wont.  It's pretty tough to rank those mid tier guys.

Yeah, I agree with most of this, and while Bowels still has plenty to do to prove himself anything close to a top guy as a head coach, the thing I did find a bit amusing is that he's behind 4 straight guys who are all on round 2 after their past miserable failures with other teams.  But it also makes the point of citing a random successful season those guys had with their past team over a decade ago, so I guess there's that.  The truth though is when in the middle of the list, it's not that much of a difference between guys.

FOR NOW - Bowles will be just short of cracking the top 10 this year and will crack it next year. The guy has the goods to make it in this league and New York specifically. I really believe the Jets struck gold with Mac and Bowles (not thrilled about the Wilkerson situation though...)

Yeah, I saw that on NFL network yesterday and quite frankly I think that's a little flattering for him. Bowles only has one season under his belt and thus far I find him to be about the same as Herm Edwards with better clock management skills. He plays not to lose much like Herm did. He's got a LOT to learn. But look......... People had to know there would have been a drop off in coaching acumen after Rex Ryan left, right? I mean you guys don't honestly believe you were hiring an instant genius in the mold of Bill Parcells right the Assistant ranks? If you did, you're a fool.

Not managing to get the Jets into the playoffs when the opposition had nothing to play for was inexcusable. A truly good HC would have willed that team to victory, especially when you consider the team had momentum in the 4th quarter and had closed within 2 points and in the red zone.

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

Yeah, I saw that on NFL network yesterday and quite frankly I think that's a little flattering for him. Bowles only has one season under his belt and thus far I find him to be about the same as Herm Edwards with better clock management skills. He plays not to lose much like Herm did. He's got a LOT to learn. But look......... People had to know there would have been a drop off in coaching acumen after Rex Ryan left, right? I mean you guys don't honestly believe you were hiring an instant genius in the mold of Bill Parcells right the Assistant ranks? If you did, you're a fool.

Not managing to get the Jets into the playoffs when the opposition had nothing to play for was inexcusable. A truly good HC would have willed that team to victory, especially when you consider the team had momentum in the 4th quarter and had closed within 2 points and in the red zone.

Is this post supposed to be sarcasm? 

So confused.

I thought Rex should have gotten the Bills to the playoffs last year as well.

As for Bowles, I think criticizing him for the Week 17 loss is fair, but it cant be the whole issue. Jets were 5-5 at one point. Not one game costs you the postseason. It's not logical. Plus, if they had gotten there, I don't think they would have gone far.

Plus, he really didn't do anything wrong in the Buffalo game other than stick with the horses who got him there. Revis was hurt and couldn't press and Fitzpatrick was Fitzpatrick.

The weird thing with Bowles is that nobody has any idea if he's any good at all. The fact that his team generally played better, with more poise and aggression, in the second half was encouraging, and is the mark of the good ones. The fact that he got to ten wins with suckbag Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good sign. That he knew to go hire Chan Gailey shows an acknowledgment of a weakness, which is encouraging. The caveat is that his team was carried by old, veteran players who won't be here in another year or two, and the trick to being a high-level coach is getting cheap, young talent onto the field and in position to contribute and develop. We have almost zero evidence that he's either capable or willing to do so.

As for the rankings, it's stupid to rank first-year coaches. Best to do it in subsets, IMO.

Great coaches:

1. Belichick

2. Arians

3. Carroll

Should be great coaches, but are short by 10 IQ points:

1. Andy Reid

2. Marvin Lewis

3. John Harbaugh

Coaches who might be good if they weren't so far up their own asses:

1. Sean Payton

2. Chip Kelly

Coaches who suck but whom are bailed out by their QB:

1. Mike Tomlin

2. Jason Garrett

3. Mike McCoy

4. Jim Caldwell

5. Mike McCarthy

6. Ron Rivera

Meh:

1. John Fox

2. Gary Kubiak

Young coaches, ranked:

1. Jay Gruden

2. Mike Zimmer

3. Bill O'Brien

4. Todd Bowles

5. Hue Jackson

6. Dirk Koetter

Unconscionable that they still have jobs:

1. Jeff Fisher

2. Mike Mularkey

3. Jack DelRio

4. Rex Ryan

5. Gus Bradley

6. Chuck Pagano

Young coaches who will suck:

1. Adam Gase

2. Ben McAdoo

3. Dan Quinn

14 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Who taught you about sports and coaching? 

Who believes a coach can will a team to win?  What happens if two coaches try to will their teams to win against each other?  One blows up?  

How simplistic can we get? 

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who taught you about sports and coaching? 

Who believes a coach can will a team to win?  What happens if two coaches try to will their teams to win against each other?  One blows up?  

How simplistic can we get? 

How simplistic can we get? The HC with more determination and better coaching strategy WINS. In this case, Todd Bowles was b*tch slapped by several other coaches throughout the season, most of all by one Rex Ryan with the playoffs on the line. That constitutes approximately the 22nd ranked (or lower) HC in the league.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

How simplistic can we get? The HC with more determination and better coaching strategy WINS. In this case, Todd Bowles was b*tch slapped by several other coaches throughout the season, most of all by one Rex Ryan with the playoffs on the line. That constitutes approximately the 22nd ranked (or lower) HC in the league.

Can you explain how Rex b*tch slapped Bowles? I'd love to hear this explanation, I am not going to move from my computer until I hear the explanation. I am literally going to click refresh on my screen as fast as I possibly can until I hear this one. Please don't make me wait too long.

Can you explain how Rex b*tch slapped Bowles? I'd love to hear this explanation, I am not going to move from my computer until I hear the explanation. I am literally going to click refresh on my screen as fast as I possibly can until I hear this one. Please don't make me wait too long.

Rex utilized Watkins all game long to embarrass Revis and move the ball.

Game over.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Rex utilized Watkins all game long to embarrass Revis and move the ball.

Game over.

The Week 17 loss to the Bills was as bad as its gets considering everything that was on the line. The Bills had their golf clubs packed and were prepared to mutiny, and the Jets came out and kept handing the ball off to Stevan Ridley. On defense, they never adjusted to Tyrod locking in on Watkins, the same way Bowles never adjusted to the Texans lobbing the ball down the field to Nuk Hopkins. Granted, Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely never beat Rex's defense, but to come out and get your ass kicked like that with the playoffs on the line would put a lot of coaches on the hot seat.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Week 17 loss to the Bills was as bad as its gets considering everything that was on the line. The Bills had their golf clubs packed and were prepared to mutiny, and the Jets came out and kept handing the ball off to Stevan Ridley. On defense, they never adjusted to Tyrod locking in on Watkins, the same way Bowles never adjusted to the Texans lobbing the ball down the field to Nuk Hopkins. Granted, Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely never beat Rex's defense, but to come out and get your ass kicked like that with the playoffs on the line would put a lot of coaches on the hot seat.

Stevan Ridley was the game plan.

There was no way the Jets should have lost that game with everything on the line.

Stevan Ridley and Revis playing the entire game with a 10-yard cushion?????

Bowles deserves as much credit for that loss as Fitz does for throwing 3 4th quarter INT's.

Terrible game plan and the Jets came out flat.

That is all on Bowles.

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

You're original post was as simplistic as it gets and youre opening your mouth?  

All a good HC has to do is will his team to wins.  Thats it.  Talent doesnt make a difference.  QB's.  Nope.  Will to win.  I almost want to asked who b1tch slapped Bowles, but am going to guess that every loss was a b1tch slap to you.  Because, well, its simplistic

19 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Yea because Rex Ryan gets credit for Tyrod Taylor running around converting 3rd & shorts on a backing up injured Revis. Give me a f*cking break. The cold windy day & our weak armed journeyman QB saved his azz. FG range & going to the well once too often to Decker on that seam route was the difference in that game. 

Rex Ryan 8 spots ahead of bowles? Are you kidding me? Especially considering how "chuck full of talent" the bills had coming into last year and how "mediocre" the jets were supposed to be. Yet, Ryan leads the bills to 8-8 and Bowles leads the "less talented" jets, oh yeah the team that just fired ryan to 10-6... Someone help me out please, I'm failing to see the logic here. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayBen said:

Rex Ryan 8 spots ahead of bowles? Are you kidding me? Especially considering how "chuck full of talent" the bills had coming into last year and how "mediocre" the jets were supposed to be. Yet, Ryan leads the bills to 8-8 and Bowles leads the "less talented" jets, oh yeah the team that just fired ryan to 10-6... Someone help me out please, I'm failing to see the logic here. 

Actually you know what... i take this back. On my own personal bias I had forgotten that Bowles did fall flat on his face against Ryan TWICE.. Therefore I stand corrected, and can not put a plausible argument on why Bowles should be ranked higher. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, BowlesMovement said:

Swept the season series, went 2-0, but most of all he stopped the Jets from making the playoffs. Now, I know that hurts you so bad, but personally I would rather tell it like it is. Todd Bowles was a rookie HC that got consistently outcoached by our former Jets HC. His ranking of 22nd in the league is actually too high, he should be right below Adam Gase. 

Archived