Jump to content

NFL.com Ranks Jets’ Bowles 22nd Among Head Coaches


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

Todd Bowles

By Glenn Naughton

 

NFL.com published their head coach “power rankings” this week and some Jets fans won’t be thrilled to see Todd Bowles finishing ahead of only a handful of first-year coaches and some of the worst the league has to offer, coming in at number 22.

Despite the low ranking, NFL.com did have some flattering comments about Bowles.  His handling of quarterback Geno Smith beating beaten up by a teammate and exceeding many expectations by leading his team to 10 wins in 2015 was highlighted, but his team’s week 17 performance against the Bills didn’t do him any favors.

For the complete list, click here.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
yfax0X0x8RI

Click here to read the full story...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pretty fair list.  You cant rank Bowles too high right now.  He was a rookie and had a ton of rookie HC blunders from clock management, time out usage, game plans, no adjustments, favoritism toward Veterans and then ultimately, he pissed away a golden opportunity to make the playoffs and that cant be overlooked.  The Jets had their best offense in 20 years, a top 10 defense and offense, played a historically easy schedule and still missed the playoffs.

I do have some issues with the list.  Personally, I find Sean Payton to be insanely overrated.  Sure, he won the SB but the dude sucks.  Lets be real.  He's got a HOF QB and 5 out of his 10 years there, they failed to eclipse .500 Football.  That's pathetic. 

And while I think Bruce Arians is a good coach, one playoff win in 3 years while getting drubbed by the Panthers isnt the look of a top 5 coach.

I would love to see what Mike McCarthy could do without Aaron Rodgers.  I think he's terribly overrated on this list. 

Andy Reid is a pathetic in game coach.  I think he's a solid big picture guy but terrible in game. 

I could probably take issue with Chuck Pagano as well but I wont.  It's pretty tough to rank those mid tier guys.

 

 

 

Yeah, I agree with most of this, and while Bowels still has plenty to do to prove himself anything close to a top guy as a head coach, the thing I did find a bit amusing is that he's behind 4 straight guys who are all on round 2 after their past miserable failures with other teams.  But it also makes the point of citing a random successful season those guys had with their past team over a decade ago, so I guess there's that.  The truth though is when in the middle of the list, it's not that much of a difference between guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FOR NOW - Bowles will be just short of cracking the top 10 this year and will crack it next year. The guy has the goods to make it in this league and New York specifically. I really believe the Jets struck gold with Mac and Bowles (not thrilled about the Wilkerson situation though...)

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I saw that on NFL network yesterday and quite frankly I think that's a little flattering for him. Bowles only has one season under his belt and thus far I find him to be about the same as Herm Edwards with better clock management skills. He plays not to lose much like Herm did. He's got a LOT to learn. But look......... People had to know there would have been a drop off in coaching acumen after Rex Ryan left, right? I mean you guys don't honestly believe you were hiring an instant genius in the mold of Bill Parcells right the Assistant ranks? If you did, you're a fool.

Not managing to get the Jets into the playoffs when the opposition had nothing to play for was inexcusable. A truly good HC would have willed that team to victory, especially when you consider the team had momentum in the 4th quarter and had closed within 2 points and in the red zone.

  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

Yeah, I saw that on NFL network yesterday and quite frankly I think that's a little flattering for him. Bowles only has one season under his belt and thus far I find him to be about the same as Herm Edwards with better clock management skills. He plays not to lose much like Herm did. He's got a LOT to learn. But look......... People had to know there would have been a drop off in coaching acumen after Rex Ryan left, right? I mean you guys don't honestly believe you were hiring an instant genius in the mold of Bill Parcells right the Assistant ranks? If you did, you're a fool.

Not managing to get the Jets into the playoffs when the opposition had nothing to play for was inexcusable. A truly good HC would have willed that team to victory, especially when you consider the team had momentum in the 4th quarter and had closed within 2 points and in the red zone.

Is this post supposed to be sarcasm? 

So confused.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Rex should have gotten the Bills to the playoffs last year as well.

As for Bowles, I think criticizing him for the Week 17 loss is fair, but it cant be the whole issue. Jets were 5-5 at one point. Not one game costs you the postseason. It's not logical. Plus, if they had gotten there, I don't think they would have gone far.

Plus, he really didn't do anything wrong in the Buffalo game other than stick with the horses who got him there. Revis was hurt and couldn't press and Fitzpatrick was Fitzpatrick.

Edited by UnitedWhofans
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Yeah, I saw that on NFL network yesterday and quite frankly I think that's a little flattering for him. Bowles only has one season under his belt and thus far I find him to be about the same as Herm Edwards with better clock management skills. He plays not to lose much like Herm did. He's got a LOT to learn. But look......... People had to know there would have been a drop off in coaching acumen after Rex Ryan left, right? I mean you guys don't honestly believe you were hiring an instant genius in the mold of Bill Parcells right the Assistant ranks? If you did, you're a fool.

Not managing to get the Jets into the playoffs when the opposition had nothing to play for was inexcusable. A truly good HC would have willed that team to victory, especially when you consider the team had momentum in the 4th quarter and had closed within 2 points and in the red zone.

Who taught you about sports and coaching? 

Who believes a coach can will a team to win?  What happens if two coaches try to will their teams to win against each other?  One blows up?  

How simplistic can we get? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who taught you about sports and coaching? 

Who believes a coach can will a team to win?  What happens if two coaches try to will their teams to win against each other?  One blows up?  

How simplistic can we get? 

How simplistic can we get? The HC with more determination and better coaching strategy WINS. In this case, Todd Bowles was b*tch slapped by several other coaches throughout the season, most of all by one Rex Ryan with the playoffs on the line. That constitutes approximately the 22nd ranked (or lower) HC in the league.

  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

How simplistic can we get? The HC with more determination and better coaching strategy WINS. In this case, Todd Bowles was b*tch slapped by several other coaches throughout the season, most of all by one Rex Ryan with the playoffs on the line. That constitutes approximately the 22nd ranked (or lower) HC in the league.

Can you explain how Rex b*tch slapped Bowles? I'd love to hear this explanation, I am not going to move from my computer until I hear the explanation. I am literally going to click refresh on my screen as fast as I possibly can until I hear this one. Please don't make me wait too long.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you explain how Rex b*tch slapped Bowles? I'd love to hear this explanation, I am not going to move from my computer until I hear the explanation. I am literally going to click refresh on my screen as fast as I possibly can until I hear this one. Please don't make me wait too long.

Rex utilized Watkins all game long to embarrass Revis and move the ball.

Game over.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Rex utilized Watkins all game long to embarrass Revis and move the ball.

Game over.

The Week 17 loss to the Bills was as bad as its gets considering everything that was on the line. The Bills had their golf clubs packed and were prepared to mutiny, and the Jets came out and kept handing the ball off to Stevan Ridley. On defense, they never adjusted to Tyrod locking in on Watkins, the same way Bowles never adjusted to the Texans lobbing the ball down the field to Nuk Hopkins. Granted, Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely never beat Rex's defense, but to come out and get your ass kicked like that with the playoffs on the line would put a lot of coaches on the hot seat.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Week 17 loss to the Bills was as bad as its gets considering everything that was on the line. The Bills had their golf clubs packed and were prepared to mutiny, and the Jets came out and kept handing the ball off to Stevan Ridley. On defense, they never adjusted to Tyrod locking in on Watkins, the same way Bowles never adjusted to the Texans lobbing the ball down the field to Nuk Hopkins. Granted, Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely never beat Rex's defense, but to come out and get your ass kicked like that with the playoffs on the line would put a lot of coaches on the hot seat.

Stevan Ridley was the game plan.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Week 17 loss to the Bills was as bad as its gets considering everything that was on the line. The Bills had their golf clubs packed and were prepared to mutiny, and the Jets came out and kept handing the ball off to Stevan Ridley. On defense, they never adjusted to Tyrod locking in on Watkins, the same way Bowles never adjusted to the Texans lobbing the ball down the field to Nuk Hopkins. Granted, Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely never beat Rex's defense, but to come out and get your ass kicked like that with the playoffs on the line would put a lot of coaches on the hot seat.

There was no way the Jets should have lost that game with everything on the line.

Stevan Ridley and Revis playing the entire game with a 10-yard cushion?????

Bowles deserves as much credit for that loss as Fitz does for throwing 3 4th quarter INT's.

Terrible game plan and the Jets came out flat.

That is all on Bowles.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

How simplistic can we get? The HC with more determination and better coaching strategy WINS. In this case, Todd Bowles was b*tch slapped by several other coaches throughout the season, most of all by one Rex Ryan with the playoffs on the line. That constitutes approximately the 22nd ranked (or lower) HC in the league.

You're original post was as simplistic as it gets and youre opening your mouth?  

All a good HC has to do is will his team to wins.  Thats it.  Talent doesnt make a difference.  QB's.  Nope.  Will to win.  I almost want to asked who b1tch slapped Bowles, but am going to guess that every loss was a b1tch slap to you.  Because, well, its simplistic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Mainejet said:

How simplistic can we get? The HC with more determination and better coaching strategy WINS. In this case, Todd Bowles was b*tch slapped by several other coaches throughout the season, most of all by one Rex Ryan with the playoffs on the line. That constitutes approximately the 22nd ranked (or lower) HC in the league.

Yea because Rex Ryan gets credit for Tyrod Taylor running around converting 3rd & shorts on a backing up injured Revis. Give me a f*cking break. The cold windy day & our weak armed journeyman QB saved his azz. FG range & going to the well once too often to Decker on that seam route was the difference in that game. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rex Ryan 8 spots ahead of bowles? Are you kidding me? Especially considering how "chuck full of talent" the bills had coming into last year and how "mediocre" the jets were supposed to be. Yet, Ryan leads the bills to 8-8 and Bowles leads the "less talented" jets, oh yeah the team that just fired ryan to 10-6... Someone help me out please, I'm failing to see the logic here. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BroadwayBen said:

Rex Ryan 8 spots ahead of bowles? Are you kidding me? Especially considering how "chuck full of talent" the bills had coming into last year and how "mediocre" the jets were supposed to be. Yet, Ryan leads the bills to 8-8 and Bowles leads the "less talented" jets, oh yeah the team that just fired ryan to 10-6... Someone help me out please, I'm failing to see the logic here. 

Actually you know what... i take this back. On my own personal bias I had forgotten that Bowles did fall flat on his face against Ryan TWICE.. Therefore I stand corrected, and can not put a plausible argument on why Bowles should be ranked higher. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, BowlesMovement said:

Can you explain how Rex b*tch slapped Bowles? I'd love to hear this explanation, I am not going to move from my computer until I hear the explanation. I am literally going to click refresh on my screen as fast as I possibly can until I hear this one. Please don't make me wait too long.

Swept the season series, went 2-0, but most of all he stopped the Jets from making the playoffs. Now, I know that hurts you so bad, but personally I would rather tell it like it is. Todd Bowles was a rookie HC that got consistently outcoached by our former Jets HC. His ranking of 22nd in the league is actually too high, he should be right below Adam Gase. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...