Who is going to be our #3 WR ? ? ?

kelly

20 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

No, they like him in the slot because of his run blocking.  You have a big advantage during running plays when he's playing the slot because he's going to wipe the CB out of the play.

And what's Decker chopped liver???? LOL 

Gailey likes the bigger WRs because he feels they're interchangeable so Enunwa will probably see time at both positions

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Gailey likes the bigger WRs because he feels they're interchangeable so Enunwa will probably see time at both positions

Decker can block, but not like Enunwa.  Anyway, I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you what the Jets are going to do when they line Enunwa out wide.  

-- Tuesday's wake-up call, Day 13 of New York Jets training camp :

What's happening : The Jets practice at 1:50 p.m., their last full practice before facing the Jacksonville Jaguars in the preseason opener Thursday night at MetLife Stadium.

What's hot :

~ ~ Rookie wide receiver Charone Peake enjoyed a breakout practice on Monday. With Eric Decker(leg soreness) on the sideline, and with Brandon Marshall sitting out some periods to rest, the seventh-round pick from Clemson made several receptions. Peake is a size-speed prospect whose draft stock was hurt by durability concerns. He's 6-foot-2 and can run under 4.4 in the 40, so the potential is there. He'll be a must-watch against the Jaguars.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61925/it-took-some-time-but-jets-te-jace-amaro-finally-catching-on

The Jets drafted seven players this year. It would be surprising if they cut any of their first six. They could attempt to stash fifth-round offensive tackle Brandon Shell on the practice squad, though that would be risky.But their final draft pick, seventh-round wide receiver Charone Peake, is battling for a roster spot entering Thursday night's preseason opener against the Jaguars. 

Peake, who looked impressive in recent practices, is a practice squad candidate if he doesn't make the 53-man roster. But he prefers to land on the final 53, rather than going on waivers and returning to the Jets if nobody claims him.The Jets are going to retain Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, and Kenbrell Thompkins. Devin Smith will be on the team, but probably will start the season on the physically unable to perform list, as he recovers from an ACL tear. 

Peake is competing with Jalin Marshall and Jeremy Ross, among others, for the final one or two receiver spots, behind the primary four guys. 

Peake has studied Marshall, while attempting to become a more effective big-bodied receiver. Peake, at 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds, isn't as large as Marshall, who is 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds. But Peake knows he must play more physically, like Marshall does."That's kind of a big thing I've been working on," Peake told NJ Advance Media. "I've been picking up on it pretty good and just watching him every day and learning from him. It's helping me a lot and I'm getting better from it.

"Just how physical he is, and being able to use his strength, use his size. That's what I've got to do better. Instead of being a tall guy playing like I'm small, I guess I've got to use my size like he's doing. And it's gotten him a long way."Peake has an intriguing combination of size and speed, but he fell in the draft due to concerns about his knee injuries at Clemson. He said his knee feels fine now. But he hopes to prove wrong those who overlooked him in the draft. 

"It definitely adds fuel to me," he said. 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/charone_peake_trying_to_force_jets_to_retain_all_t.html#incart_river_index

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, Mike135 said:

It'll probably be a 3a, 3b thing.  With Q and Devin.

Devin is at a huge disadvantage while Fitz is QBing with his peashooter of an arm.  He does have to expand his game beyond the deep ball, but his main asset is speed.  While Enunwa's is strength.  Fitz is never gonna be a fast WR's friend.

Totally agree. Smith is not the best fit for a guy like Fitzpatrick. He was much more suited for Geno at QB. Hopefully he'll be a good fit for a guy like Hack if he can progress and eventually take the job next season.

~ ~ Maybe that dude could start : Quincy Enunwa, one of the team's most improved players, started with a strong game -- two catches for 69 yards. Coach Todd Bowles says Enunwa is the Dennis Rodman of the Jets' offense, meaning he does the dirty work. Evidently, he can do more than that. He got open twice on downfield routes, showing an ability to stretch the field. Technically, he's their No. 3 receiver, but also can play tight end. His hybrid ability helps create favorable matchups. Enunwa will be a factor this season, count on it.

~ ~ A surprise player who impressed : Continuing his strong summer, rookie wide receiver Jalin Marshall made one of the biggest plays of the night, an 84-yard kickoff return. He showed nice change-of-direction on the play, breaking into the clear before he was chased down. Marshall, an undrafted free agent from Ohio State, might have nailed down a roster spot. He could be the fourth or fifth receiver, earning his keep on special teams.

rest of above article  : 

>  http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62027/ryan-fitzpatrick-is-solid-geno-smith-is-booed-but-throws-td-in-jets-win

A look at the risers and fallers from the New York Jets' 17-13 win over theJacksonville Jaguars :

~ ~  Quincy Enunwa, wide receiver : No player in the postgame locker room received more praise than Enunwa, who made 43- and 26-yard receptions on back-to-back plays to set up a touchdown for the starting offense. He also made an under-the-radar play, lining up as a flexed tight end and making a nice block on Bilal Powell's 4-yard touchdown run. Right guard Brian Winters made the key block, pancaking his man. "He can really develop into a big-time weapon for us," Ryan Fitzpatrick said of Enunwa.

Charone Peake, wide receiver : The seventh-round pick from Clemson built on a strong week of practice, making a team-high four catches for 45 yards. He made a nice back-shoulder catch on a 17-yard touchdown play, managing to get both feet down. A lot of people were surprised he lasted until the seventh round. He fell because of injuries in college, but the physical talent is there. He'll be in the mix if they keep six receivers on the 53.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62057/stock-watch-jets-leonard-williams-displays-a-nose-for-the-quarterback

How much did Jets' Jalin Marshall help roster chances in preseason opener?

image.jpg

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

EAST RUTHERFORD — Early in Thursday night's Jets preseason opener against the Jaguars, undrafted rookie wide receiver Jalin Marshall trotted on the field, and into a four-receiver formation, with the first-string offense. 

This was another promising sign for Marshall's roster chances. He has performed well enough in training camp practices to be in the conversation for the Jets' final one or two receiver spots.

And with No. 4 receiver Kenbrell Thompkins, who likely will make the roster, sidelined Thursday by a groin injury, Marshall moved up the depth chart. Marshall was targeted four times Thursday and caught one pass, for 10 yards. 

Marshall is also competing with Jeremy Ross for the Jets' kickoff and punt return jobs. Ross had a 51-yard kickoff return. Marshall one-upped him, with an 84-yard return. 

"He goes out and does that, it means I've got to go out there and go to the house," Marshall said. "I think I made one more step toward hopefully making this team." 

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Marshall was "50/50" on Thursday, in terms of successful moments and hiccups. 

"He did some good things," Bowles said. "He did some things he can learn from." 

What negatives did Marshall see in his game Thursday? 

"I think there were a couple tough catches that I could've come down with, across the middle, worrying about being hit, rather than just catching the ball," Marshall said. "Those were probably the biggest mistakes I made." 

This is what Marshall liked about his showing Thursday: "Just knowing every play, knowing where to be, knowing where to line up, being where I'm supposed to at all times," he said. 

With Thompkins nursing the groin injury, Marshall said he knew he'd be the next guy in, for the four-receiver formations. Marshall knew that likely would mean some time with the starting offense. At times Thursday, Marshall blended right in, though his pursuit of a roster spot is far from complete. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com.

Enunwa said it's all mental."I let playing in the NFL overwhelm me," Enunwa explained. "I would go out there and rush to make a play. I was making all these hard grabs, the diving ones, but then dropping the easy stuff. Now I'm focused on if the ball's right there, just catch it."

This is exactly why you can't judge a player by 1 or 2 seasons sometimes.  The mental game is so important. Glad everything is slowing down and he is just reacting and not overthinking now.  He could have a really special year for the Jets.

In regards to JMarsh

"I think there were a couple tough catches that I could've come down with, across the middle, worrying about being hit, rather than just catching the ball," Marshall said. "Those were probably the biggest mistakes I made." 

Hope thats just rookie jitters and he stops worrying about it next week now that the first game is out of the way.  if not, thats a major red flag, can't play this game scared.

On 8/8/2016 at 2:12 PM, carlito1171 said:

Decker is going back out wide, they primarily had him there last night.  Decker will still see time in the slot but as they gain trust in Enunwa's hands you are going to see him in the slot and h-back. (decker will probably go to slot when enunwa goes to h-back)

10 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

they primarily had him there last night.

Pre-1 isn't really a reflection of how they're going to use him all the time. They know what Decker can do, they weren't going to move him around, just give him some reps to shake off rust. 

15 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

In regards to JMarsh

Hope thats just rookie jitters and he stops worrying about it next week now that the first game is out of the way.  if not, thats a major red flag, can't play this game scared.

eh, I think any guy that goes over the middle worries about getting blasted... doesn't make them scared, just makes them situationally aware... you get lit up, and the ball may end up turned over. 

the guy returns kicks, i doubt he's scared of getting hit

Quincy Enunwa  is a thoughtful, careful guy. Ask him about being THE No. 3 wideout in the Jets' offensive arsenal and his typical answer is "I'm just going to be a guy that's going to help our team be great."But the numerology of his performance Thursday night in his eight plays of offense during the start of the Jets' 17-13 preseason win over Jacksonville is too tempting to let "Q" off the hook.

Consider that his back-to-back receptions on the same "rail" route to end the first quarter combined for 69 yards. That's the same yardage he had in last year's Game 15 overtime win over New England, also on two catches. We're mixing apples and oranges here, but doesn't it say something about Enunwa's emergence that he has set and then tied his single-game yardage best, as modest as it is, in the last three games he's played as a Jet?

"Yeah, I think I'm definitely building confidence," he told me in the Jets' locker room. "But I think also the quarterbacks, Ryan, Geno, all of them are getting confidence in me, and that's huge, you know? Whenever you can have that, it's going to be great for the team, and I'm hoping I can continue to build confidence with them and we can do some magical things this year."

Certainly that's been on  Ryan Fitzpatrick 's mind. After the game the bearded one repeated his confident analysis of how this year's Enunwa is a new, improved version of last year's model."It's been very evident to me through the beginning of training camp that Quincy’s going to be a big part of what we do and has really improved as a receiver," Fitzpatrick said. "He’s so versatile and we saw that last year with everything we asked him to do. He can really develop into a big-time weapon for us."

Head coach Todd Bowles agreed about the versatility part when he compared Enunwa (in player skills, not body piercings, tats or nail polish color) to Basketball Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman earlier this year and then invited Rodman to a recent camp practice."Anytime you hear your head coach make comments like that about you, it definitely helps you on the field, so I appreciate him saying that, and I think it's cool that Dennis came out," Enunwa said, adding in his precise way that he's not perfect but he's striving to be.

"I'm going to go out there and scrap and make plays for the team. Sometimes you're not going to be able to do all the pretty work, but I want to go down there and do the dirty work. I'm not always going to be able to make those plays, but I'm going to do my best."And when he does that, perhaps magical things will follow.

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Enunwa-Emerges-a-Little-More-in-Offense/6bffb4a2-f6f9-4631-8e3d-6bc8ffd6c3b5

-- Coach Todd Bowles recently compared wide receiver Quincy Enunwa to Dennis Rodman because of his blue-collar mindset, meaning his affinity for blocking, running clear-out routes for his high-profile teammates and serving as a bodyguard when necessary. You might recall he recently helped diffuse the Brandon Marshall-Darrelle Revis skirmish by picking up Marshall (literally) and carrying him away.

Enunwa was just starting school when Rodman was winning NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls in the 1990s, but he appreciated the compliment from his coach. A confidence-booster, he called it."Sometimes you're not going to be able to do all the pretty work, but I do want to do the dirty work," Enunwa said after the New York Jets' 17-13 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday night. "I'm not always going to be able to make the plays, but I'm going to do my best."

Enunwa did some pretty work in the preseason opener, making 26- and 43-yard receptions on back-to-back plays with the starting offense. He was wide open both times, finding space behind the linebackers on deep "over" routes.

It was an early message to the rest of the league: If you focus too much on Marshall and Eric Decker, we have a third guy who can make plays."It's been very evident to me through the beginning of training camp that he's going to be a big part of what we do and has really improved as a receiver," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said. "He's so versatile and we saw that last year with everything we asked him to do. He can really develop into a big-time weapon for us."

Enunwa was a sixth-round pick in 2014, a member of the Idzik 12. He started to emerge last season, catching 22 passes for 315 yards in 12 games. He's a hybrid -- part wide receiver, part tight end. In fact, he caught 14 passes when lined up as a receiver, eight as a tight end, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The passing attack runs through Marshall and Decker, but the Jets need a reliable No. 3 option to create balance. We know it probably won't be a tight end, so Enunwa is the most likely candidate, especially with Devin Smith (knee surgery) sidelined for the foreseeable future.Enunwa is a tough cover because opponents don't know whether to treat him as a wide receiver or a tight end. On Bilal Powell's touchdown run Thursday, he lined up as a flexed tight end and made a block on the play.

"I can help, but we have so much talent out there," Enunwa said, downplaying a potential role as the No. 3 option. "Any way I can come in and make plays, I'd love to do. To be a 3, I'm not going to say. I'm just going to be a guy out there who's going help our team be great."Enunwa didn't get a chance to speak with Rodman during the NBA Hall of Famer's recent visit to training camp. Always a zany character, Rodman showed up wearing green fingernails, proclaiming himself a Jets fan.

"Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to meet him," Enunwa said, "but it was still really cool to see him."

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62095/quincy-enunwa-is-the-jets-dennis-rodman-sans-green-fingernails

Throughout last season, the Jets were never able to find a consistently reliable No. 3 wide receiver, behind Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker

Entering 2016, second-year pro Devin Smith is still recovering from an ACL tear he sustained in December, so Quincy Enunwa and Kenbrell Thompkins are the Jets' top complementary receivers, though tight end Jace Amaro could factor in.While the Jets drafted Enunwa and Amaro, they acquired Thompkins under more modest circumstances last season. But he could prove to be an important, underrated weapon for their offense. 

"I'm looking forward to making a lot of plays for this team this year," Thompkins told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday. 

This offseason, the Jets gave Thompkins a restricted free agent tender — a one-year, $1.671 million contract. So Thompkins is entering a contract year, with a chance to make even more cash next offseason. "I like it that way," he said. "It allows me to play my best ball. I'm self-motivated, but to actually be in a situation like this, it just makes you lock in. You get what I'm saying? And I'm more focused in that regard now." 

Thompkins entered the NFL after going undrafted in 2013. His career cash earnings before 2016, according to spotrac.com — $1.409 million. So the Jets tendering him was a big deal.Thompkins began his career with the Patriots, was with the Raiders from October of 2014 until early last September, and then quickly rejoined the Patriots as a practice squad player. He lasted less than a month in his second stint with New England. The Jets added him to their practice squad after the Patriots cut him. 

In late October, the Jets promoted Thompkins to their active roster. He played in seven games last season and had 17 catches for 165 yards. He has 70 career catches for 893 yards and four touchdowns, including 38 catches for 519 yards and four touchdowns during his time with New England. Though Thompkins hasn't caught a touchdown since 2013, he made a 43-yard catch that set up the winning field goal in last year's 19-16 victory at Dallas. It gave the Jets — and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick — a reason to trust him. 

"I think [that] pretty much allowed Fitz to know that: 'K.T., he actually sees what I see, and K.T. has got a good eye for what we're wanting to do,'" Thompkins said. "I think that actually helped him with communicating with more, and understanding that: 'K.T., he sees the field well, and he'll make a play when we need it.'" 

Thompkins feels more comfortable with Fitzpatrick in this training camp. 

"Just spending more time with Fitz, having more communication, I think we know each other a lot better now," Thompkins said. "We've kind of got a feel for each other, and we're still trying to build that."I've got a better feel just for everybody inside the building, my teammates. It feels pretty good, man, to come in each and every day feeling like this is my home. All last year, I still was getting familiar with everybody." 

Now, unlike last year's training camp with the Raiders, Thompkins' roster spot is secure. He can focus entirely on finding a role in the Jets' offense — and proving he deserves bigger money next offseason. Concerns about being cut — like he was by the Raiders last summer — are gone. "That's not even something that's on my mind," Thompkins said. "I don't think about that. I don't lose sleep about that." 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_kenbrell_thompkins_on_entering_contract_year.html#incart_river_index

4 minutes ago, kelly said:

This offseason, the Jets gave Thompkins a restricted free agent tender — a one-year, $1.671 million contract.

I forgot we "paid the man".  All along I was thinking we're so stacked at WR that TK was the odd man out.  Now I'm not so sure.  Time to rethink I guess.....  

On August 11, 2016 at 11:44 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Totally agree. Smith is not the best fit for a guy like Fitzpatrick. He was much more suited for Geno at QB. Hopefully he'll be a good fit for a guy like Hack if he can progress and eventually take the job next season.

So far he's the best fit for House, Quincy, or Dr. Quinn 

The New York Jets play their second preseason game Friday night against theWashington Redskins at FedEx Field -- a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff. Things you need to know about the Jets :

~ ~  Sleeper to watch: You've heard a lot about Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall, but a third rookie wide receiver belongs in their company -- Robby Anderson, a 6-foot-3 blazer out of Temple. Anderson is a Bowles favorite who made a circus catch this week in practice.

rest of above article  :

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62258/rookie-qb-christian-hackenberg-could-make-jets-debut-against-redskins

~ ~  A surprise player who impressed : Very few players shined, but let's give a shoutout to Robby Anderson, who outplayed his fellow rookie wide receivers, Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall. Anderson showed his deep speed with 42- and 50-yard receptions, finishing with six catches for 131 yards. Peake and Marshall each dropped a pass and took a step back.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62269/bryce-petty-sparks-jets-geno-smith-flops-no-2-qb-controversy-is-here

A look at the risers and fallers from the New York Jets' 22-18 loss to theWashington Redskins at FedEx Field :

RISERS

~ ~ Robby Anderson, wide receiver : Jalin Marshall's fast start in camp overshadowed Anderson in the battle of undrafted wide receivers, but let's be real: Anderson has more upside as a receiver than Marshall, who brings added value as a returner. Anderson (six catches, 131 yards) had a huge game, hauling in a 42-yard touchdown and a 50-yard reception. He's 6-foot-3 and runs like a deer; it's hard to find guys like that.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62296/stock-watch-jets-rookie-robby-anderson-up-tight-ends-way-down

On 7/4/2016 at 10:07 AM, joewilly12 said:

Quincy Enunwa poised for a breakout season

I hope so.  The guy has moments where he looks beast-like.  He obviously drops a lot of passes though and that has to be worked out before he can be considered a #3.  Would like to see him #4 though not sure who our #3 would be then.  Definitely liking Jalin Marshall so far but too early to put him as #3.

-- In 2014, Robby Anderson scored touchdowns in his mind as he ran sprints on the sandy shore of the lake at his apartment complex in Orlando, Florida. He wanted to be in Philadelphia, catching passes for his school, Temple, but his season played out near Disney World. It was no Fantasy Land.

Anderson, who flunked out of Temple because of bad grades, regained his eligibility that year by earning an associate's degree from Valencia Community College in Orlando. He went an entire season without football, focusing on school and training near the apartment he shared with his mother. If he wasn't on the beach, running, he was in the gym.

"It was a humbling experience," he said this week. "I really feel like that year, that's what molded me into a man. ... Sometimes you have to lose it all to appreciate it when it comes back."

Anderson has become one of the feel-good stories of the New York Jets' summer. Undrafted in April, the 6-foot-3 speedster leads the NFL in receiving yards (138) for the preseason. He exploded for six catches, 131 yards and a touchdown last Friday against the Washington Redskins, adding his name to the conversation for the final few roster spots.The Jets figured to carry six wide receivers, maybe seven, and Anderson is competing with Jeremy Ross and fellow rookies Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall for the final two or three spots. They could try to put Anderson on the practice squad, but it will be hard to slip him through waivers, especially with his gaudy numbers.

When teams evaluate developmental players, they look for rare traits, stuff that can't be taught. Anderson has size and electric speed; he ran under 4.4 seconds in the 40 at his pro day. He might be the fastest player on the Jets. Asked if he is, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I hope so."

"I think he showcased that (speed) a little bit in the game; he does every day on the practice field," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said. "He’s got really good hands. His hands aren’t enormous, but he’s just got soft hands, he brings everything in. The (42-yard) touchdown catch that he made over the defender, I thought he made it look easy and that’s kind of what jumped out to me. He made such a difficult catch look like an easy one. He’s got a good little swagger to him that I hadn’t really seen that you see in games come out a little bit."

Anderson is rail-thin at 190 pounds and his route running needs polish, but he definitely has tools. You know the hunger is there; a lot of players wouldn't have made it back from a season away from football. He was so determined to resume his career that he moved away from his hometown, Ft. Lauderdale, seeking a fresh start in Orlando. His mother, a nurse, landed a job there, too, so it seemed like the right fit."Before that happened, when I was still in school, I thought I was a young man. I thought I knew everything," he said, reflecting on the root of his academic troubles. "I'm a very intelligent person, but I wasn't applying myself. It humbled me and it taught me a lot. I feel like it made me a better person."

Back at Temple last season, Anderson showed his potential, finishing with 70 receptions for 939 yards and seven touchdowns. His signature game was against Houston, a 12-catch, 150-yard performance in which he was covered by William Jackson, who would be drafted in the first round by the Cincinnati Bengals.

That was big, but last week's game against the Redskins was bigger.

"It's a huge accomplishment, coming from where I came from," said Anderson, who lived in Teaneck, New Jersey, until he was 3. "I've always had this dream since I was young. People are proud to see I stuck with it. I never gave up."

>              http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62423/jets-long-shot-robby-anderson-finds-his-new-beach-and-its-chill

On 8/19/2016 at 9:21 AM, kelly said:

The New York Jets play their second preseason game Friday night against theWashington Redskins at FedEx Field -- a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff. Things you need to know about the Jets :

~ ~  Sleeper to watch: You've heard a lot about Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall, but a third rookie wide receiver belongs in their company -- Robby Anderson, a 6-foot-3 blazer out of Temple. Anderson is a Bowles favorite who made a circus catch this week in practice.

rest of above article  :

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62258/rookie-qb-christian-hackenberg-could-make-jets-debut-against-redskins

How prophetic that was..... 

1 hour ago, kelly said:

-- In 2014, Robby Anderson scored touchdowns in his mind as he ran sprints on the sandy shore of the lake at his apartment complex in Orlando, Florida. He wanted to be in Philadelphia, catching passes for his school, Temple, but his season played out near Disney World. It was no Fantasy Land.

Anderson, who flunked out of Temple because of bad grades, regained his eligibility that year by earning an associate's degree from Valencia Community College in Orlando. He went an entire season without football, focusing on school and training near the apartment he shared with his mother. If he wasn't on the beach, running, he was in the gym.

"It was a humbling experience," he said this week. "I really feel like that year, that's what molded me into a man. ... Sometimes you have to lose it all to appreciate it when it comes back."

Anderson has become one of the feel-good stories of the New York Jets' summer. Undrafted in April, the 6-foot-3 speedster leads the NFL in receiving yards (138) for the preseason. He exploded for six catches, 131 yards and a touchdown last Friday against the Washington Redskins, adding his name to the conversation for the final few roster spots.The Jets figured to carry six wide receivers, maybe seven, and Anderson is competing with Jeremy Ross and fellow rookies Charone Peake and Jalin Marshall for the final two or three spots. They could try to put Anderson on the practice squad, but it will be hard to slip him through waivers, especially with his gaudy numbers.

When teams evaluate developmental players, they look for rare traits, stuff that can't be taught. Anderson has size and electric speed; he ran under 4.4 seconds in the 40 at his pro day. He might be the fastest player on the Jets. Asked if he is, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I hope so."

"I think he showcased that (speed) a little bit in the game; he does every day on the practice field," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said. "He’s got really good hands. His hands aren’t enormous, but he’s just got soft hands, he brings everything in. The (42-yard) touchdown catch that he made over the defender, I thought he made it look easy and that’s kind of what jumped out to me. He made such a difficult catch look like an easy one. He’s got a good little swagger to him that I hadn’t really seen that you see in games come out a little bit."

Anderson is rail-thin at 190 pounds and his route running needs polish, but he definitely has tools. You know the hunger is there; a lot of players wouldn't have made it back from a season away from football. He was so determined to resume his career that he moved away from his hometown, Ft. Lauderdale, seeking a fresh start in Orlando. His mother, a nurse, landed a job there, too, so it seemed like the right fit."Before that happened, when I was still in school, I thought I was a young man. I thought I knew everything," he said, reflecting on the root of his academic troubles. "I'm a very intelligent person, but I wasn't applying myself. It humbled me and it taught me a lot. I feel like it made me a better person."

Back at Temple last season, Anderson showed his potential, finishing with 70 receptions for 939 yards and seven touchdowns. His signature game was against Houston, a 12-catch, 150-yard performance in which he was covered by William Jackson, who would be drafted in the first round by the Cincinnati Bengals.

That was big, but last week's game against the Redskins was bigger.

"It's a huge accomplishment, coming from where I came from," said Anderson, who lived in Teaneck, New Jersey, until he was 3. "I've always had this dream since I was young. People are proud to see I stuck with it. I never gave up."

>              http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62423/jets-long-shot-robby-anderson-finds-his-new-beach-and-its-chill

How the hell did that go unnoticed to the point where he wasn't even worthy of a 5th, 6th or even 7th round pick?  I know we had a limited number of picks and I am okay with our selections (including Peake in the 7th), I am just glad Mac had his eye on the Kid and pounced on him as soon as the draft concluded...  Man we FINALLY have a SCOUTING DEPARTMENT!!  Anderson, Marshall and Middleton this year, Deion Barnes, T. Jones last year...  That is how you big a contending team, finding the nuggets that others overlook.  

For those expcting Anderson and J. Marshall to make the team this year, be prepared to be disappointed. Our receivers will be Marshal, Decker, Enunwa, Thompkins, Peake. Smith will follow once he's healthy. The only way J. Marshall makes it is as a returner, meaning he's got to beat out Ross for that spot. No way Anderson makes it over Peake. They will not keep a skinny UDFA over a draft pick with Peak's potential. Anderson will land on the practice squad where the staff will help him mature as a receiver and add weight. He may a player in 2017, once Thompkins becomes expendable (Smith becomes the 3rd receiver once he's healthy and starts to play). But he won't make the team this year. My hope is J. Marshall beats Ross as the returner. We know what Ross brings to the table, which is not bad. But Marshall seems to have more upside. 

Archived