Who is going to be our #3 WR ? ? ?

kelly

The New York Jets placed wide receiver Eric Decker on injured reserve on Wednesday, the team announced.

Decker has a partially torn rotator cuff and has missed the Jets' past two games. He will undergo season-ending surgery to repair the injury, a source told ESPN's Rich Cimini.

Decker was injured in Week 2 against the Buffalo Bills, but he played in every offensive snap the following Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. He caught only one pass in that game and later told team officials he had aggravated the injury.The Jets signed cornerback Nick Marshall from the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice squad to take Decker's roster spot.

Marshall's addition is an indication the Jets are concerned about the availability of cornerbacks Darrelle Revis (hamstring) and Darryl Roberts(shoulder) for Monday night's game against the Arizona Cardinals.Decker has nine catches for 194 yards and two touchdowns this season.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17778488/new-york-jets-receiver-eric-decker-lands-injured-reserve

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 of our top 4 WRs are down. Hopefully Jalin comes back soon, and we get some solid contributions from Peake and Anderson.

You know what would be interesting??? If they threw the ball to that new RB, what's his name... Matt Forte?

-- Brandon Marshall, the unofficial public relations flack of the New York Jets' locker room, delivered his "Next Man Up" speech Wednesday to a group of reporters who wanted to know about the impact of Eric Decker's injury. At one point, Marshall paused and looked over to rookie Robby Anderson, who was seated on a stool, obscured by the swarm of reporters.

"Stand up, Robby," Marshall called out, using Anderson as a prop to emphasize his point on the new demands on the young wide receivers.

Anderson stood up and nodded, acknowledging his elder.

It made for nice theater, but here's the reality: The Jets are in trouble without Decker.

No disrespect to the receivers not named Brandon Marshall, but we're not talking about a group of highly touted prospects. We're talking about three rookies -- two undrafted free agents and a seventh-round pick. There's also Quincy Enunwa. He's a player on the rise, but he's still learning his craft. He has only 49 career catches.

In Decker, the Jets lose a receiver who amassed 80 catches, 1,027 yards and 12 touchdowns last season. But his importance goes beyond the numbers. He was the ideal target for Ryan Fitzpatrick because of their chemistry. Fitzpatrick doesn't have a rifle, so the timing between him and the receivers has to be perfect. He and Decker had that. Now he has to build that mojo with the kid receivers, and that won't be easy without the benefit of a training camp."When I have to throw on anticipation, I have to throw with trust," Fitzpatrick said. "That's going to be a big part of it, is just communicating to those guys, whether it's through a throw in practice we can talk about or, as we're installing plays, where they're expected to be and at what time they're expected to be there."

Decker was a terrific slot receiver last season (56 catches, to be exact), becoming the over-the-middle presence they didn't have with their tight ends. It created an inside-outside balance with Marshall. Now, that's gone.

To a man, they said it would take more than one player to fill Decker's roles. Let's take a look at the candidates :

Quincy Enunwa : He becomes the No. 1 threat out of the slot. In fact, 19 of his team-leading 27 receptions have come from the slot, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Enunwa won't see an increase in playing time -- he already was an every-down player as the No. 3 receiver -- but he'll see different coverages. He has to become more of a factor on third down (only four catches).

Jalin Marshall : He probably will become the No. 3 receiver; it just depends on how quickly he can get up to speed after missing two games with a shoulder injury. Marshall, undrafted out of Ohio State, is different from the other receivers in that he's small and shifty. Fitzpatrick trusts him; he went to him a lot in the Week 2 win over the Buffalo Bills. The issues with Marshall are staying healthy and holding on to the ball.

Robby Anderson : He filled the No. 3 role with Decker and Jalin Marshall sidelined, but he'll probably drop down to the No. 4 position. Anderson has the speed to rip off the top of a defense, but he's an unrefined route runner who lacks the strength to handle physical corners. Basically, he can run a 'go' route, and that's it. Undrafted out of Temple, Anderson is an intriguing developmental player who made the team with an outstanding preseason, but he's not ready for a prime-time role. He played 135 snaps over the last two games but has only three catches to show for it. He and Fitzpatrick have a lot of work to do.

Charone Peake : After two games as the No. 4 receiver, Peake -- a seventh-round pick from Clemson -- probably will disappear from the radar now that Jalin Marshall is back. Peake is a size-speed player who could develop down the road. He already had his 15 minutes of fame, a 42-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown.

Devin Smith : Remember him? The 2015 second-round pick, sidelined 11 months after major knee surgery, is eligible to start practicing next week. The Jets would have a two-week window with which to make him active or place him on season-ending injured reserve. Smith has a lot of catching up to do, so it's unrealistic to expect him to be a savior.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins : The pass-catching tight end made his Jets debut last Sunday, catching two passes. He also suffered an ankle injury, making his status for this week uncertain. If healthy, he's a 6-foot-5 target who could be a factor in the red zone. Let's see if offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, whose system isn't tight end-friendly, figures out a way to integrate him.

Matt Forte : Remember all that talk in the preseason about how they were going to unleash Forte as a weapon in the passing game, moving him around the formation to create mismatches? Well, it hasn't worked out that way. He has only four catches when lining up outside the backfield. It might be time to follow through on the original plan.

Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall, 2015

The numbers show Eric Decker proved just as important as Brandon Marshall in critical situations on offense last season:

SITUATION DECKER (REC/TDS) MARSHALL (REC/TDS)
Third down 27/2 28/6
Red zone 12/10 11/9
Fourth quarter 19/3 26/4
Source: ESPN Stats & Info

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63893/jets-plan-for-replacing-eric-decker-the-who-and-the-how

— This has been a long, long time coming for Devin Smith. Heck, he feels like a kid on Christmas Eve. 

For the last nine months, all the Jets' second-round pick from a year ago has been able to do is rehab with trainers while on the physically unable to perform list. Next week, he can practice for the first time since tearing his ACL last December. 

Excited ? Yeah, that doesn't even begin to describe it. 

"All the work I've put in these last nine months is about to pay off," Smith told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday. "I can't wait to get out there."

Originally a promising rookie, Smith's first season in the NFL was derailed by injuries. Fractured ribs and a punctured lung robbed him of valuable training camp reps. A torn ACL abruptly ended his regular season right when he was catching on.He has been stuck rehabbing on the PUP list ever since. Strong summers from guys likeRobby Anderson and Jalin Marshall have rendered him an afterthought. Ill-informed analysts have prematurely labeled him a bust.

Smith can't wait to prove everyone wrong."I feel like I've gotten better each month, each week," Smith said. "My weight is up. I'm back to where I feel comfortable playing. I feel a lot stronger. My speed is coming back, too. Everything is going well. 

"I'm just trying to stay the course. Keep grinding." 

Next week will be the start of a five-week window in which Smith can begin practicing. Once he does practice, the Jets will have a 21-day window in which Smith can be activated to the 53-man roster.Smith said he has been running for "a long time," and has been cutting for "a couple of months." He has started to put stress on his right knee again. The only thing Smith hasn't done extensively is run routes, but that's because of procedural limitations. He can't go one-on-one against defenders because it's against PUP list guidelines.

Which is why the only thing let for him to do is practice. He thinks he's ready. He hopes the Jets agree."I definitely have to practice to see where I'm at," Smith said. "As we progress with this, whenever I get my turn, I can get a better judgment of how my body feels." Truthfully, Smith couldn't be returning at a better time. With Eric Decker on the season-ending injured reserve, the Jets are looking for pass catchers to step up. 

"He was a big part of our team," Smith said. "Now, it's on our shoulders to step up our games and play better. We need to help this team win some games."

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/devin_smith_cant_wait_to_return_to_jets_next_week.html#incart_river_index

Eric Decker is out for the season, which means Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s job just got harder.

The offense already has been underachieving much of this season, and now it will have to go the rest of the way without Decker’s experience, leadership and talent.

It is up to Gailey to figure out how to minimize Decker’s absence, a prospect that can’t be very encouraging given the way the Jets have performed during a 1-4 start.“Anytime you lose a player of that caliber, it has an effect in as much as you don’t have time on the job with the other people and you’re trying to create that in a short period of time,” Gailey said Thursday. “It’s going to be a group effort to fill that void. It won’t be one guy.”

The committee includes Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson, Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, if he’s healthy enough to play, along with a hefty dose of Brandon Marshall. What is concerning is how much Decker’s absence will impact Marshall when the Jets play at Arizona on Monday night.Enunwa leads the team with 37 receptions (294 yards), but Marshall leads in yardage with 363 yards on 24 receptions. Without Decker to worry about, it figures defenses will try to limit the amount of touches for Marshall, who likely will be double-teamed all over the field. Gailey admitted getting the ball to Marshall, who had eight catches for 114 yards and one touchdown in the Jets’ 31-13 loss at Pittsburgh last Sunday, could prove difficult.

“It was hard before, and [Decker’s injury] will make it even tougher,” Gailey said. “[Opponents] know the caliber of player [Marshall] is, and they’re trying to take away good players. We’re going to have to work to make sure he gets his opportunities.”

The Jets’ offense was ranked fourth in the league after compiling 493 total yards in their Week 2 win at Buffalo. But it has fallen to 17th in the midst of a three-game losing streak, during which they have struggled to crack 300 total yards. More glaring is the Jets have been outscored 37-7 in the second half during the losing streak, the only touchdown coming on a botched play against Seattle.

Gailey blames the second-half struggles on a lack of execution — as in don’t blame the play-calling, blame the players.“Execution, that’s the bottom line,” he said. “We’re getting behind the sticks and we’re missing our third downs. We can’t miss third-down-and-shorts. That’s what keeps drives alive, making third downs.”It is difficult to see the execution getting better any time soon, with the insertion of young players having to replace Decker.

Anderson, Peake and Jalin Marshall are rookies, who haven’t experienced playing a Monday night game on the road. Anderson has caught five passes for 56 yards, all in the past three games. Peake has caught just four passes for 36 yards and Jalin Marshall five catches for 64 yards.

Even Gailey admitted he isn’t sure what to expect.

“I don’t know,” he said. “You have to put them out there and try to put them in a position where they can be successful and evaluate from there. It’s a step-by-step process. They have to be multiple-type players. They can’t be one dimensional. It’s going to be a step-by-step developmental process with each one of them [to discover] what they do well and get them in the right spot.”

The Cardinals have the eighth-ranked defense overall and are fourth against the pass. But they are a soft 23rd against the run. Figure on a heavy dose of Matt Forte, with Gailey picking his spots when to go to Marshall. It is imperative the Jets get the lead or at least stay competitive. Falling behind early, as they did against Pittsburgh and being forced to throw, would lead to a disaster in the desert.

>      http://nypost.com/2016/10/14/how-will-jets-replace-decker-one-man-has-to-figure-it-out/

~ ~ NEW YORK JETS: With Decker down, rookie receivers in the spotlight. When receiver Eric Decker was placed on injured reserve Wednesday -- he will have shoulder surgery and faces an eight-month recovery -- quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick lost his most trusted receiver in the red zone and on third down.

No," Fitzpatrick said, "you definitely can't replace him with one guy."

Behind Brandon Marshall and Quincy Enunwa, the Jets will count more heavily on three rookie receivers: Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall and Charone Peake. Anderson, Jalin Marshall and Peake have combined for 14 catches for 156 yards this season."I have to throw on anticipation, I have to throw with trust," Fitzpatrick said. "[A] big part of it is just communicating to those guys [about] where they're expected to be and at what time they're expected to be there."

On Wednesday, while Marshall talked to reporters, Anderson was sitting as his adjacent locker.After saying he has confidence in the youngsters, Marshall said, "Stand up, Robby."

Robby stood.

"Make plays," a smiling Marshall told him.

rest of above article : 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000720525/article/marcell-dareus-grapples-with-adhd-all-eyes-on-colin-kaepernick

It was a hit that can keep you up at night.

Lined up in the middle of three receivers to QB  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif ’s right, rookie Charone  Peake got a free release from the line, worked through a bump from Cardinals DB Tyrann Mathieu and cut across the field.  Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick stepped up in the pocket and threw a short ball to Peake and the Jets’ target thought he had room to run. But a missile in red named D.J. Swearinger came flying though and separated Peake from the ball with a vicious shot.

Peake got up, gingerly walked off the field and began spitting blood.

“It was fine, he just hit me in my chest and it knocked the wind out of me,” Peake said this week on Inside the Jets. “The blood came from when I bit my tongue and my lip, but I was fine. They took me in because they wanted to X-ray my chest for precaution, but everything was good. I’m feeling fine now.”

Peake, who was targeted 10 times in the Jets’ 28-3 loss to the Cardinals Monday night, finished with a career-high five receptions including one on the team’s final possession. The 6’3”, 209-pound Peake, a seventh-round pick out of Clemson and one of club’s three rookie wideouts, has nine receptions and he also had a 42-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown against the Seahawks in Week 4.“I’m becoming a lot more confident in myself and hopefully that’s transferring to the coaches and the quarterback being confident in me,” he said. “That’s what I’ve been working on and they’re giving me a chance to go out and make plays with Eric (Decker) down and Jalin (Marshall) hurt the past two weeks. I’m just trying to take advantage of the opportunity.”

This will be a critical week of practice for Peake as he gets reps with new starter  Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif .  Peake played both in the slot and outside the numbers at Clemson and the Jets have moved him about some as well in his first pro campaign.“Being outside, you’re going to get pressed a lot more,” he said. “But being inside, it’s a lot of traffic. There’s a lot of people you have to weave through, a lot of bigger guys. Being on the outside, those guys are mostly your size.”

Speaking of playing outside, Peake also contributed against the Cards with an excellent special teams effort in the first quarter. Peake came close to beating  Lachlan Edwardsicon-article-link.gif ’ 49-yard punt down the field, went flying by return man John Brown and then raced back from behind for a tackle.“It felt great to be out there. It was my second time being on Monday Night Football, the last time I was out there being the national championship,” he said. “So it was weird being out there again, but it was a great experience. It’s what you dream of growing up.”

After a 1-5 start, the Jets need a few of their young players to grow up in a hurry. Peake may have been bruised and bloodied against the Cardinals, but the developing rookie is ready for the next round.

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Peake-Takes-Hit-Keeps-Delivering/84a8075f-e539-4115-a2c0-3693fb91a599

• 2 weeks later...

For the second consecutive week, WR  Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif  served as a catalyst for the Jets in their 31-28 win over the Browns.

The Jets’ pass game was virtually non-existent in the first half as the Browns took a commanding 20-7 lead into intermission. Enunwa, on the receiving end of one of  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif ’s three completions over the first 30 minutes, was determined to become a factor down the stretch after a fiery speech from his position coach.

“Coach [Karl] Dorrell had a speech for the offense,” he said. “He just saw that we weren’t really fired up and he fired us up. He told us we had to go out there and somebody has to make a play.”

Ironically Enunwa made perhaps a game-saving PD on the second play of the third quarter, preventing a Browns interception on a poorly thrown ball from Fitzpatrick.

“It was a big play,” said head coach Todd Bowles. “You’ve seen Brandon do it, now you see Quincy do it. If you can’t catch the ball, we have to try to make sure they don’t catch it.”

Ten plays later, Enunwa hauled in a 24-yard touchdown to cap off a 12-play, 78-yard drive. Enunwa, who had a 69-yard catch and run for a score in the Jets’ Week 7 win over the Ravens, would not be denied as he eluded four tacklers and cut the Green & White’s deficit to 20-14.“Honestly, it happened so fast I don’t really remember it,” Enunwa said of his team-leading third receiving touchdown. “It was one of those plays where I wanted to get into the end zone no matter what. I had an opportunity and wanted to take advantage, make a play for our team.”

On the ensuing drive, Enunwa got free down the seam for a 57-yard gain that moved the Jets into the red zone.  The offense converted on the field position as  Matt Fortéicon-article-link.gif ’s touchdown run gave the visitors a 21-20 lead and they would not trail again.“I think I’m taking advantage of my opportunities,” Enunwa said. “That’s the one thing I didn’t do well last year. That’s something I’ve been working on a lot this year. I’m not perfect. I still have my mistakes, but I want to keep going out there and make as many plays as I can.”

Following his four catch, 93-yard performance in Week 8, the second-year receiver now leads the Green & White with 36 receptions and he is on pace for an 1,000-yard receiving season  Like his team, Enunwa was far from perfect on Sunday as he had a couple of drops. But he stepped up when the Jets need him the most and provided some fire for a team in need of his passion.“Even today to have a couple drops and to come back and be confident, that is a new guy. That is a guy that has really grown up the last two years,” Fitzpatrick said. “He wants the ball, he wants to make those plays which sometimes sounds silly - everybody wants to make plays like that - but he has really got his confidence level up. He wants to be that guy and he has really come through this year for us. We expect a lot out of him and expect him to continue doing it.”

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Quincy-Enunwa-Helps-Ignite-Offense-in-Jets’-Win/47c517ca-5bb0-4015-b6a6-7e5db5db75de

Undrafted rookie wide receiver Jalin Marshall made the Jets' roster out of training camp, and was installed as their punt and kickoff return man. He also had a chance to chip in as a complementary receiver.But the first half of 2016 was rocky for Marshall. He has been minimally involved on offense (six catches for 75 yards), has made dubious decisions on some returns, and has experienced problems with ball security (two lost fumbles).

In Week 2 at the Bills, his fumbled catch was returned for a touchdown. A week later, at the Chiefs, his fumbled kickoff return was also brought back for a touchdown.Plus, a torn labrum in Marshall's left shoulder sidelined him for two games, immediately following Jets-Chiefs. He is almost back to 100 percent now, and has played in the past three games. 

This week, we caught up with Marshall at the midpoint of his rookie year. 

What have you learned so far? 

"I think it's been a lot of learning. This game, you've got to be smart at all times. I think that's something I had to learn, growing up quick [this season]. It's given me a reality check, that you've still got to work, still got to make sure I'm doing the things on and off the field that'll help me get to where I need to be." 

How have you improved your ball security? 

"Just relax a little bit. On those plays that I fumbled, it was just me trying to make a play that wasn't there. Sometimes, I struggle with wanting to make a play so much that I might do the wrong thing. That's something I had to learn: When does the play need to be made? Really, it's about more than me. It's about doing what's right for the team. I've learned that." 

Do you want to be more involved on offense? 

"I would love to be more involved. I think the coaches have to trust me, make sure that they know that I'm going to be the best guy out there. When it's that time, I'll be there to make that play." 

What can you improve to gain that trust and get more involved? 

"The ball security may have been an issue at the beginning of the season, which probably allowed them to put me back a little bit [on the depth chart], which is understandable. These are the things that are critical to the season that you have to get fixed, or you won't have a job. I've kind of accepted that, and worked every day to prove to the coaches that I should be out there playing. It's ultimately up to them." 

Overall, how would you grade the first half of your rookie season? 

"I'd probably give me a C-minus, D, just because I grade myself hard, and I haven't been able to do everything I could. I don't want to make an excuse, but I tore my labrum, and that set me back a couple weeks. I felt like everything was going well." 

>              http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/jets_qa_jalin_marshall.html#incart_river_index

-- It’s been a difficult two years for New York Jets wide receiver Devin Smith, the team’s second-round pick in 2015 who has played just 10 of a possible 25 games because of injuries. But the 24-year-old speedster, recovered from a torn ACL suffered last December, could finally be in line to make his 2016 debut Sunday, when the Jets host the Los Angeles Rams.

“I’m ready," Smith said Friday. “I’ve been practicing these last couple weeks, so they’ve been doing a real good job of getting me prepared."

Jets head coach Todd Bowles wouldn’t confirm whether Smith will be active Sunday, but did say the 6-foot-1, 199-pound receiver is “in great shape."

“We’ll work him in slowly, and we’ll see if he fits in Sunday or not," Bowles said. “I’m not going to reveal if he’s playing or not playing, but we’re working on getting him back in the offense."

Smith admitted it has been difficult not being able to play all this time, but when asked how he saw himself fitting back into a Jets locker room that has three rookie wide receivers (undrafted players Jalin Marshall and Robbie Anderson and seventh-round draft pick Charone Peake), he expressed confidence he’ll fit in comfortably.“I fit right in with them," he said. “Right in. It doesn’t matter what they do, I think, add me in, it just adds more (firepower) to our team. So I look forward to getting back out there with everybody, just as everybody’s looking forward for me to come back out there."

But finding space for him on the game-day roster will be a challenge. Right now, he’s the sixth receiver, behind the three rookies and No. 1 Brandon Marshalland No. 2 Quincy Enunwa. It’s possible, though, Smith could be asked to make a contribution on special teams, something he said he’s more than willing to do.“They get me in there (on special teams), get me some work in there (in practice)," he said. “Whatever they want me to do, I’ll do."

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64807/jets-wide-receiver-devin-smith-waiting-for-opportunity-to-make-an-impression

I was not at every Jets practice in training camp this summer, but at the ones I did attend, there was one player who stood out almost every time because he made at least one eye-opening play every day.

I remember looking at the roster to see who No. 83 was: Robby Anderson, an undrafted rookie free agent who went to Temple. That made sense, I figured. He was on the camp roster as a good-will gesture on the part of head coach Todd Bowles, a Temple alumnus.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick thought the same thing — until he started throwing passes to Anderson.

So, too, did top receiver Brandon Marshall, who actually met Anderson last January at a fitness training facility he owns in Florida, where Anderson went to prepare for a possible tryout with an NFL team.“The first time I saw him was at our facility in Florida before the draft. I saw this frail, skinny kid walk in with his uncle,” Marshall recalled. “I thought, ‘This kid had no chance.’ Then, when [the Jets] picked him up and I saw him, I was like, ‘This kid still has no chance.’ He just didn’t look like a receiver. He didn’t look like he does now.”

Now Anderson occupies a locker right next to Marshall’s. Talk about an unlikely journey.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound beanpole has 22 catches for 270 yards as a No. 4 receiver and — with his blazing speed (he ran a 4.28 in the 40-yard dash at his pre-draft pro day) — he has shown potential to be the deep threat the Jets’ offense has been lacking for too long.Fitzpatrick, because he missed most of the Jets’ offseason workouts while embroiled in a contact squabble, did not practice with Anderson until training camp. And, before the first summer practice, he recalled “people telling me, ‘Keep your eyes on No. 83.’ ” With Anderson having since switched from No. 83 to No. 11, opposing defensive coordinators are keeping an eye on No. 11. Anderson made one of the best plays of the game in the Jets’ 9-6 loss to the Rams last Sunday, hauling in a 52-yard pass from Bryce Petty to keep a 99-yard scoring drive alive.

“The three things that got me right away were: He’s fast, he has unbelievable hands and his mentality,” Fitzpatrick said. “There is this quiet confidence and swagger about him, like he belongs, even though he’s an undrafted rookie.’’

Anderson is, indeed, soft-spoken, but he is confident in his abilities.

When the topic of being undrafted and not even being invited to the NFL Scouting Combine came up, Anderson didn’t shy away from taking a playful jab at those who ignored him.“They didn’t let me go because they didn’t want me to break the clock,” he said, referring to his speed. “And I would have.”Asked why he went undrafted, Anderson said, “I’ve been trying to figure out the same thing. I had a good college career, ran a 4.2. I was not a bad college football player by any means at all. Sometimes it happens. Maybe one day I’ll find out why.”
The likely reason was his dismissal from his junior year at Temple because he was academically ineligible.

He returned home to Florida, went to community college in Orlando, got his act together, returned to Temple for his senior year and caught 70 passes for 939 yards and seven TDs.“I tell my mom all the time I’m kind of happy that happened because it made me who I needed to be. It made me grow up and become a man,” Anderson said. “My mindset is just because I came in undrafted, I wasn’t going to use that as an excuse to be mediocre. I didn’t let that defeat me.”

It was when Anderson lit up the Redskins during the preseason with six catches for 131 yards and a long TD that he really started drawing attention to himself.“There’s a lot of guys that flash in shorts, but when he went out and did it in the preseason games, that’s when everybody kind of took notice,” offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said. “I think he has a chance to be a very good receiver before it’s over with.”Marshall added: “He’s gone from this kid looking like he had no chance to this kid looking like his upside is out of this world.”

>       http://nypost.com/2016/11/18/kid-had-no-chance-jets-undrafted-rookie-proves-skeptics-wrong/

When you sift through the wreckage of this season, you'll find at least two glimmers of hope for the future.

There's no denying the Jets have had a forgettable three months, but they might have found a couple of cornerstone offensive pieces along the way. For all the deficiencies that general manager Mike Maccagnan will have to address this offseason, he won't have to agonize over wide receiver.

Quincy Enunwa and rookie Robby Anderson have shown enough promise to ease any concerns that they need to spend time looking for receivers this spring. Enunwa and Anderson are two of the most improved players on a roster in desperate need of an infusion of difference makers.

Todd Bowles and his staff have been maligned for myriad reasons this year, but wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell deserves plenty of credit for cultivating Enunwa and Anderson. Enunwa has morphed from hybrid tight end-receiver to a reliable multi-faceted weapon in Chan Gailey's offense. He has a team-high three receiving touchdowns and is second behind Brandon Marshall in receptions (38) and yards (534). Anderson started from the NFL ground floor as an undrafted rookie to find an ever-growing role.

Both should be integral parts of the future.

Enunwa, whose role expanded in the wake of Eric Decker's season-ending injuries, has been one of the few bright spots from the failed John Idzik regime.

Enunwa's most impactful play this season: a 24-yard tackle-breaking touchdown catch and run that jumpstarted the Jets in a road win against the Browns last month.

"That play to me is the new Quincy," Ryan Fitzpatrick told the Daily News. "That guy didn't exist two years ago or even last year at times. That guy didn't exist because he didn't have the confidence in himself or his play. Maybe it was because it was the Brandon and Eric Show. He was kind of the third guy."

"He wants to be The Guy that we go to now, the guy that wants the ball in the biggest moments," Fitzpatrick continued. "That play in the Cleveland game was such a good example not only because of what he did, but the circumstance… The whole talk at halftime was that SOMEBODY needs to step up and make a play. Don't wait for somebody else to make a play…. He wanted it and he did it. That got us going in that game."

Enunwa's willingness to do the grunt work also makes him an invaluable piece to the new regime's puzzle. His maturity and leadership traits are pivotal too. He'll assume the mantle as team spokesman in the coming years.

"Quincy's never going to put up 1,600-yard seasons and 15 touchdowns, but he'll be a 1,000-yard receiver," Fitzpatrick said. "He's a receiver that's going to catch for 1,000 yards and not just block linebackers, but set the tone and pump up our team because he's putting linebackers on their backs. There are certain things that he does for our team that maybe go unnoticed at times by fans or media that we really appreciate in here. His value means more to teammates than it probably ever would on a Pro Bowl ballot. Quincy can be a MVP of a team before he can be a Pro Bowl receiver."

Anderson has been a pleasant surprise given that the organization plucked him after the draft.

"The dude's an undrafted free agent and somehow he thought he belonged in the huddle," Fitzpatrick said. "His confidence continues to grow. He's still raw as a receiver. There's a lot of things he continues to work at, but he's improved so much. Whether it's route running ability, understanding of the defense or understanding what we expect of him as the season's gone on."

Anderson's speed was apparent from Day One, but his willingness to improve other facets of his game are especially admirable. He's gaining a better understanding of how to adjust his routes based on opponents' coverages and techniques. He has good eyes and feet, but…

"The thing that really popped out to me was his unbelievable hands," Fitzpatrick said. "His hands aren't very big, but he catches everything. They're soft. It's very natural."

Some good has come out of this miserable season. Enunwa and Anderson provide hope for tomorrow.

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-wrs-enunwa-anderson-provide-hope-terrible-season-article-1.2885416

~ ~  Uncle Brandon
It’s no secret that receiving counterpart  Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif  has burst onto the NFL radar this season. Marshall, someone that embraces the role of helping hand, has played a big role in Enunwa’s development. In the latest chapter, Enunwa hauled in an acrobatic 22-yard catch in the back of the end zone, high-pointing the ball over CB Malcolm Butler and landing in bounds thanks to his backside. The second-year player also recorded a 40-yarder en route to his first 100-yard game as a pro.

“Man, I just feel like I proud uncle,” Marshall said. “Obviously he puts in the work, it’s him. He’s a freak, he’s gifted. But to see how far he’s come from last year to this year, talking about the little things. I remember when he first got here, he used to run his routes so hard and so aggressive, I felt like he was going to break his legs on every single route. For us to talk about being smoother in and out of his breaks. Last year, he would run right through a zone and we would sit there and talk about it. We’d pull up film the different things he could get across the middle. He’s done an excellent job of taking what we’re talking about on the practice field, in the meeting rooms and executing on Sundays. It’s awesome to see a guy that you know has potential and really work at it and take it to the next level.”

rest of above article : 

>   http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Notes--Quotes-Lee-Takes-on-New-Role/47a90546-6f0c-4f3f-83e6-3f740680e54a

-- At some point, Todd Bowles will stop pretending the 2016 season still matters and will start auditioning young players for 2017. We think.

"I have a timetable in my head for certain guys that I want to see at different positions," the New York Jets coach said Monday. "When that time comes, I’ll make those decisions."

But here's the thing : Football isn't like baseball, which has September call-ups. In football, you can't promote the entire practice squad and say, "Go play on Sunday." Teams in the Jets' position usually are playing young players anyway, so there really aren't many options.

That said, here's our top-5 list of players we'd like to see on the field during the meaningless stretch run :

~ ~  3. Devin Smith, WR : He was activated two weeks ago from the PUP list, but he still hasn't dressed for a game. It's a numbers game at receiver. The Jets have seven on the 53-man roster, including three rookies. You don't want to play Smith at the expense of Robby Anderson, who is gaining valuable experience every week, but there has to be a way to get Smith reps before the season ends. The former second-round pick started to show signs of progress last season before suffering a major knee injury.

rest of above article : 

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65209/five-young-jets-you-should-be-dying-to-see-over-final-few-weeks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Devin Smith Is Not Taking Anything for Granted

Posted 4 hours ago

•  
  •  

Second-Year WR Contributing on Special Teams, Looking to Step Up on Offense

dsmith-art.jpg

After suffering a torn ACL in his right knee last December, Jets WR Devin Smithicon-article-link.gif’s sophomore campaign has been a test of patience.

“It’s been real tough,” Smith told Eric Allen and Larry Hardesty on Inside the Jets. “The six weeks that I was out on the PUP list watching our team take the losses, I was real hard on myself. I felt like I could’ve been out there helping on offense and special teams. When I did get a chance to play, I felt like it was too late and the season was almost over with. I was kind of bummed out not having a chance to get back on the field when I was practicing very well. I just took it in stride, telling myself to keep going and working hard. When I get my chance, just go out there and have fun with it.”

Smith battled injuries his entire rookie season. After the Ohio State product went down with broken ribs and a partially punctured lung in his first training camp, he ended up playing 10 games in 2015. He had nine receptions for 115 yards and 1 TD before his year ended against the Titans and he was subsequently placed on injured reserve on Dec. 18, 2015.After starting this past training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform/Active list to start training camp, Smith was placed on the PUP list and was excluded from practicing or playing with the Jets for the first six weeks of the season. He was activated on Nov. 9, but didn’t make his season debut until Dec. 11 in San Francisco.

Primarily used on special teams since being activated, Smith has embraced the role after being one of the nation’s top gunners in college. The former Buckeye takes pride in tackling, a trait he developed in high school while playing cornerback and safety. Smith registered his second special teams tackle of the season against New England, holding PR Julian Edelman to a four-yard punt return.“You have to be physical out there on special teams,” Smith said. “A lot of guys out there are physical, so you have to bring your A game every week. Coach [Urban] Meyer put a big emphasis on it and I took it in stride and kept going.”

Against the Cheaters, Smith saw his most offensive work of his season. The former second-round pick beat CB Eric Rowe to the back corner of the end zone in the fourth quarter where Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gifzipped a pass that grazed off Smith’s fingertips as he was falling.

“I couldn’t get a good grip on it,” said Smith, who also registered his first catch of the season earlier in the game.

While Sunday’s matchup against the Bills may not have any playoff repercussions, the Akron, OH, product is still eager to play because of his small sample size of game time action.“It would be great, man,” Smith said. “Not playing for so long and just not being able to be on the practice field with the guys, that’s something that I missed. I was watching everything from afar. It felt like I was disconnected a little bit because they were practicing while I was working out. Just being back out there, it means everything. It’s things like that you can’t take for granted so I just go out there and make sure I’m working harder than ever have.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Devin-Smith-Is-Not-Taking-Anything-for-Granted-/fce6793b-e287-4439-8c91-157de93958be

• 1 month later...

just an fyi..

~ ~ the Chicago Bears won't play tag with Alshon Jeffery this year.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday morning the Bears aren't expected to franchise tag the wide receiver, per sources.

0ap3000000784503.jpg

Jeffery played under the tag in 2016, earning $14.599 million. If the Bears utilized the tag on Jeffery again it would cost them $17.5 million, a price too rich for a receiver that missed 11 games the past two seasons. Teams have until March 1 to apply franchise tags.

Jeffery earned 821 yards and two touchdowns on 52 receptions in 2016, as he dealt with a four-game suspension and instability at the quarterback position. If Jeffery walks in free agency, Chicago will be left with a mostly young, unproven receiver corps led by Kevin White and Cameron Meredith.

Heading to the open market, Jeffery's size and skill will make him one of the top receiver targets in free agency, if the Bears can't get a long-term deal done before the new league year opens on March 9.

Chicago has balked at paying Jeffery A.J. Green/Dez Bryant money in the past. But with several teams, including the Eagles, Rams, 49ers, Titans, etc., in need of receiver help, Jeffery should cash in when the bidding begins.

>     http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000787962/article/bears-not-expected-to-franchise-tag-alshon-jeffery

Archived