Casserly Chimes In ...

KRL

8 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets should only be making offers that are good for the Jets.  

The offer they have out there is more than triple the only other rumored offer Fitz has gotten this offseason, the one year/$7M from Denver. And frankly, if he wants a one year prove it deal, I can't imagine why he'd turn that down. No better opportunity to prove it than with the defending champs. But the guy is coming off his career best year, and got no interest at all in free agency at or near his asking price. It's a pipe dream for him or any of his super fans to think that next year, when he turns 35 years old, that he's going to command big dollars. This free agency period should really be a reality check. 

If three years/$24M with incentives that could potentially push it to $36M doesn't make sense to Fitzpatrick, he doesn't have to sign. His only alternative right now appears to be waiting for someone to get hurt, and then likely sign for much less than the Jets are offering. That really doesn't seem to make any more sense for Fitzpatrick to me. 

It's triple because it's off of a low backup deal he signed with Houston. He played and started 28 games and didn't complain and greatly outplayed that deal. And didn't get an extra nickle for starting. Now he's trying to get fair market and the Jets are offering him backup money. All good deals and negotiations aren't about one side squeezing the other or take or leave its. It's not good business esp when you're dealing with your starting Qb. You want the guy to have good feelings to the org not to feel like he was screwed. This entire 5 months is counterproductive. We should have been going forward instead we're at a standstill. Not smart at all. This GM like the last one is over his head. 

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's triple because it's off of a low backup deal he signed with Houston. He played and started 28 games and didn't complain and greatly outplayed that deal. And didn't get an extra nickle for starting. Now he's trying to get fair market and the Jets are offering him backup money. All good deals and negotiations aren't about one side squeezing the other or take or leave its. It's not good business esp when you're dealing with your starting Qb. You want the guy to have good feelings to the org not to feel like he was screwed. This entire 5 months is counterproductive. We should have been going forward instead we're at a standstill. Not smart at all. This GM like the last one is over his head. 

You repeat this over and over again, and it's completely ridiculous. It means nothing. Fitz' #1 attribute is that he's a smart guy. He understands -even if you don't- that the NFL is a business. He can want more money, or want a one year deal, but his reality is the offers he actually receives. If not having "good feelings," or feeling like "he was screwed," is going to lead him to come in and play at a lesser level, then he's not a professional, and the Jets should pull this offer and not make another one. But players go into free agency every year with high expectations that aren't met, and wind up signing the best offer they get. Ultimately, this situation will be no different. 

These five months mean nothing if he signs before third day of camp or so. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

The offer they have out there is more than triple the only other rumored offer Fitz has gotten this offseason, the one year/$7M from Denver. And frankly, if he wants a one year prove it deal, I can't imagine why he'd turn that down. No better opportunity to prove it than with the defending champs. But the guy is coming off his career best year, and got no interest at all in free agency at or near his asking price. It's a pipe dream for him or any of his super fans to think that next year, when he turns 35 years old, that he's going to command big dollars. This free agency period should really be a reality check. 

If three years/$24M with incentives that could potentially push it to $36M doesn't make sense to Fitzpatrick, he doesn't have to sign. His only alternative right now appears to be waiting for someone to get hurt, and then likely sign for much less than the Jets are offering. That really doesn't seem to make any more sense for Fitzpatrick to me. 

Exactly, maybe throw some escalators in the contract.  Id like to see some playoff incentives :)

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

I don't.

Say Fitz plays very well in 16.  Well enough to deserve a starting spot and salary.  But the number on the second year is apparently half the number for year one. 

That's not fair.  It enables the Jets to play him at a lower number, or even for their own reasons make him the backup if Petty or Hackenberg is ready to play.  Makes sense for the Jets.  Not so much for Fiztpatrick.

I think it's structured so it's only $12M-$6M-$6M if he is starter-backup-backup. The max deal is $36M ($12M/year), and though the specifics of the incentives haven't been leaked, it's reasonable that they would be $6M more per season (in years 2-3) if he's the starter; not a $6M bump only on the unreasonable terms of him throwing for 4800 yards and 40 TDs (or something he's similarly incapable of doing).

I fully expect if his 2016-2017-2018 depth chart role is starter-starter-backup, that his compensation per year is $12M-$12M-$6M. They can't make him the starter and pay him less.

If he has the same numbers as last year, against far more formidable opponents, where someone else would be interested in paying him $12M or more for 2017+, then he won't be sitting as Hackenberg's backup. Bowles - the type of coach who publicly names him as next year's starter when he's not even under contract - would never do it. Even if he would, the Jets would trade him before hanging onto him as a 1-2 year backup. Not only that, but it would be an obvious non-football move to screw the player, and it would cause other problems with existing or potential-future players. It's simply not going to happen. 

He has another option at his disposal. If he repeats or exceeds last year's numbers and the Jets would miraculously bury him on the depth chart behind Hackenberg to save $6M, he can, would, and should hold out. 

The main risk of Fitz earning another starting job through his play/stats in 2016, but only getting $6M in 2017, is if he sustains an injury in preseason so someone else (e.g. Hackenberg) is the starter for all 16 games without the Jets actually demoting him. For that singular instance, I'm sure he can take out an insurance policy.

The other reason it's more than fair - I would even say lopsided in Fitzpatrick's favor - is that he had the opportunity to secure a better deal and failed. This is what happens.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

he isn't bound to agree to any deal, the great thing about being a free agent is that if you think you are worth a certain amount you can find out.  Unfortunately for him he is not well thought of around the league and no one was interested in signing him to any decent amount of money(by NFL player standards).  He had his chance, had no one interested, he's in the perfect spot here and the Jets have all the leverage which they are wisely using.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he isn't bound to agree to any deal, the great thing about being a free agent is that if you think you are worth a certain amount you can find out.  Unfortunately for him he is not well thought of around the league and no one was interested in signing him to any decent amount of money(by NFL player standards).  He had his chance, had no one interested, he's in the perfect spot here and the Jets have all the leverage which they are wisely using.

We'll see about that. You're just giving us headline news. It's not that simplistic. There are no jobs this offseason. There usually are but teams filled starting slots with good young Qbs recently drafted. Teams that often have Qb openings like the Titans. That could change and will with injuries and there are a lot of Qb injuries. My hope is that Mac and Fitz compromise and he returns. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We'll see about that. You're just giving us headline news. It's not that simplistic. There are no jobs this offseason. There usually are but teams filled starting slots with good young Qbs recently drafted. Teams that often have Qb openings like the Titans. That could change and will with injuries and there are a lot of Qb injuries. My hope is that Mac and Fitz compromise and he returns. 

It's funny because I can't remember the player that held out and waited for an injury to occur and then signed a 3 year $24 million deal in training camp or mid-season.  You seriously think a team could have their starter go down and look to the street for a guy and be willing to pay him $12M?  It's not happening....

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

there are no jobs NOW, there were when FA began and he didn't draw any interest.  he is though of us a backup QB across the league in the perfect spot w/ us w/ Gailey and all the talent around him.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

there are no jobs NOW, there were when FA began and he didn't draw any interest.  he is though of us a backup QB across the league in the perfect spot w/ us w/ Gailey and all the talent around him.

And even with only Geno and Petty on the roster, they saw the Jets - who, schedule aside, had the best situation possible for Fitzpatrick - didn't exactly twist themselves into a pretzel to lock him up for 2016 before FA began. 

I thought it has been pretty clear from GM and coach if Fitz signs it his job to lose. This drama creating uncertainty in the most important decision on a team -that is your Jets

why the JETS don't take the money they are willing to pay Fitz and bundle it with some more cash and sign Wilk long term.  Wilk is more important than Fitz and Geno is better than Fitz. Macc stop wasting time with this bum...seriously ..... move on already stop making Fitz something he ain't.

5 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

why the JETS don't take the money they are willing to pay Fitz and bundle it with some more cash and sign Wilk long term.  Wilk is more important than Fitz and Geno is better than Fitz. Macc stop wasting time with this bum...seriously ..... move on already stop making Fitz something he ain't.

The Jets 100% still expect Fitz to be back

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Macc really should have had this put to bed a while ago, rather than let it fester.  Either sign Fitz, or revoke the offer and move backwards & out of bounds with Geno.  Either way is fine, he's the GM it's his call.  But this wallowing uncertainty is just bad all round.

Fixed

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fair is defined by the market.  The market has spoken, no one else is interested in Fitz at a better deal.

So it's more than fair.  He simply needs to understand he is not a long-term solution even for us at his age/resume.  If he cannot accept that, he can reject ~18 mil guaranteed, and sit at home till Cleveland or their ilk gives him a call.

The market is not only what someone else is willing to pay for a service someone wants to sell.  It also has to be enough to encourage the seller to sell.  Otherwise the deal does not happen, and there is no market.  Now the potential buyer may say I don't want to pay any higher, either.  Fine.  Then there's no deal.  And no market price has been established.

By fair I mean not only what others are willing to offer, but what makes sense in the context of the respective positions of the parties.  I don't see why Fitz should feel he has to agree to a deal that locks him in to a much lower salary in years two and three no matter how well he does in year one.  He can afford to sit and wait.  Sure he's taking a chance.  But maybe he thinks it's worth it.  Looks so far like he does.

2 hours ago, slats said:

After the bolded part there's been plenty of discussion of the pros and cons of the points considered, so I will limit my question to why is it not better FOR THE JETS to agree to a contract with options to extend, with the Jets having those options, than to have no deal at all?

It's all well and good to talk about Fitzpatrick sitting home waiting to hear from Cleveland.  Meanwhile we "get" to see Geno F'ing Smith as our team's Qb.  Good luck with that. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it's structured so it's only $12M-$6M-$6M if he is starter-backup-backup. The max deal is $36M ($12M/year), and though the specifics of the incentives haven't been leaked, it's reasonable that they would be $6M more per season (in years 2-3) if he's the starter; not a $6M bump only on the unreasonable terms of him throwing for 4800 yards and 40 TDs (or something he's similarly incapable of doing).

I fully expect if his 2016-2017-2018 depth chart role is starter-starter-backup, that his compensation per year is $12M-$12M-$6M. They can't make him the starter and pay him less.

If he has the same numbers as last year, against far more formidable opponents, where someone else would be interested in paying him $12M or more for 2017+, then he won't be sitting as Hackenberg's backup. Bowles - the type of coach who publicly names him as next year's starter when he's not even under contract - would never do it. Even if he would, the Jets would trade him before hanging onto him as a 1-2 year backup. Not only that, but it would be an obvious non-football move to screw the player, and it would cause other problems with existing or potential-future players. It's simply not going to happen. 

He has another option at his disposal. If he repeats or exceeds last year's numbers and the Jets would miraculously bury him on the depth chart behind Hackenberg to save $6M, he can, would, and should hold out. 

The main risk of Fitz earning another starting job through his play/stats in 2016, but only getting $6M in 2017, is if he sustains an injury in preseason so someone else (e.g. Hackenberg) is the starter for all 16 games without the Jets actually demoting him. For that singular instance, I'm sure he can take out an insurance policy.

The other reason it's more than fair - I would even say lopsided in Fitzpatrick's favor - is that he had the opportunity to secure a better deal and failed. This is what happens.

two comments.

One is I don't believe there is any hard info out there as to what the incentives are, so your post is highly speculative.  Second is too much of your other scenarios rely on taking a big risk if you are Fitzpatrick, such as expecting that holding out would end well.

Again I think a guaranteed first year with options to extend held by the Jets would work for both parties.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

Exactly, maybe throw some escalators in the contract.  Id like to see some playoff incentives :)

Lol. Yea, if he's so confident that he deserves some huge raise just give him this contract. Make the playoffs & you get a guaranteed 17 million! Go 8-8 like most think will happen you get SQUAT! Now that's a f*cking contract to sign if you got BIG BRASS BALLS!

7 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

After the bolded part there's been plenty of discussion of the pros and cons of the points considered, so I will limit my question to why is it not better FOR THE JETS to agree to a contract with options to extend, with the Jets having those options, than to have no deal at all?

It's all well and good to talk about Fitzpatrick sitting home waiting to hear from Cleveland.  Meanwhile we "get" to see Geno F'ing Smith as our team's Qb.  Good luck with that. 

You're just making it more complicated, but no more palatable for Fitz. Either way, he's under the Jets' control for three years. If your X - Y's just mean more money, I don't see any reason whatsoever for the Jets to raise their already highest offer to Fitzpatrick. At this point he can take it or leave it. I don't think the Jets are as afraid to start Smith as many fans are.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

And you've stated this about 500 ******* million times this offseason. Doesn't make it true. 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Lol. Yea, if he's so confident that he deserves some huge raise just give him this contract. Make the playoffs & you get a guaranteed 17 million! Go 8-8 like most think will happen you get SQUAT! Now that's a f*cking contract to sign if you got BIG BRASS BALLS!

Have ya seen him throw a ball on a windy day?  Dude has ovaries.

21 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Fitz doesn't have to agree to any deal, it's his right.  The jets are in a much better spot than Fitz though and Fitz is the one more likely to blink.

The Jets are not in a better position than Fitz. Lets forget about the rest of the NFL for a second for the simple reason no one is going to pay a 34 year old QB starter money hoping he catches on to their system on teams that cant even contend ATM.

In the case of the god damn Jets Fitz already knows the system, has a good rapport with the players, and already played well in those circumstances. The players want him signed, the GM wants him signed, the fans want him signed and no one with half a brain wants another year of Geno Smith when this team has about a 2 year window to contend with the current roster.... After that point (and Macc knows this ) its rebuild time and then you bring in the younger QB's to have a real chance to compete with one another. This is why Macc is low balling years 2 and 3. Honestly I think the sticking point is year 3 because Macc knows in year 3 there probably wont be any Matt Fortes or Nick Mangolds or any of the other 30 + year old players on this roster so at that point why would you pay Fitz 12 million at the age of 37 when you should be thinking about the furture ?

The way Macc built this team its stupid to speculate whether or not Geno can be the man right now. Macc wants Fitz but he wants him on his terms and Fitz probably feels there is a 2 year window as well. This could and should turn into a 2 year deal IMO and when the Jets unload all the 30 + players currently on the roster in year three Fitz can either stay on at the age of 37 and help mentor or he can simply retire.

Whether or not you think the Jets are built to win now is irrelevant from a fan's perspective because Macc does think this team is built to win now due to the signings he has made which make it VERY clear. Macc is not going to put himself in jeopardy by playing Geno smith because if the Jets don't do something in the next 2 years or at least compete its rebuild time and these 2 years have been a total and complete waste of money on older players. Fitz is the only QB on this roster who has played well or played at all. he has the leverage and to let that slip by for a few million bucks would be ridiculously stupid on the part of the Jets.

Just now, slats said:

You're just making it more complicated, but no more palatable for Fitz. Either way, he's under the Jets' control for three years. If your X - Y's just mean more money, I don't see any reason whatsoever for the Jets to raise their already highest offer to Fitzpatrick. At this point he can take it or leave it. I don't think the Jets are as afraid to start Smith as many fans are.

I don't think it's complicated.  The point is if the parties agree that X is a good number for year one, then X-Y reflects the reasonable expectation that at his age his performance is somewhat to more than somewhat likely to go down in 17 and 18.  I would think Y would equal somewhere between X/4 and X/3.  And of course if the Jets exercise that option, the X-Y salary is guaranteed.  So that is the incentive for Fitzpatrick.  The incentive for the Jets is they get to see, and make a decision based upon, his performance in 16.  If that does not lead them to conclude X-Y is worth paying, or if other considerations such as hoped for development in Petty and/or Hackenburg makes X-Y no longer advisable, they do not exercise the option.  At which point they can either renegotiate a lower number, with Fitz either accepting he did not get it done in 16, or accept a more limited role in 17 even if he did well, or Fitz simply goes FA.  Same for 18.

That sounds pretty simple to me.

You can get to more or less the same place with incentives.  But incentives leave both sides more unsure where they will end up, and actually could lock the Jets in under certain scenarios where they might not want to be locked in.

^

The problem for Fitzpatrick with relying on an incentive like minimum performance levels IN 2017 to determine his salary in 2017 is that decisions based on factors outside of his hands can come into play.  And this is not purely speculative - everyone knows the Jets are hoping to find a longer term answer at Qb in either Petty or hackenberg.  It's a real concern.  Fitz has offered to do a one year deal; the Jets have said no.  Why?  Precisely because the Jets want the flexibility of retaining him on the roster even if they want to enter the season with Petty or Hackenberg as the starter in 17.  But they also don't want to pay RF a lot of money to hold a clipboard.

That makes sense for the Jets.  NOt so much for RF.  I am virtually certain that is what is holding up the negotiation.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

^

The problem for Fitzpatrick with relying on an incentive like minimum performance levels IN 2017 to determine his salary in 2017 is that decisions based on factors outside of his hands can come into play.  And this is not purely speculative - everyone knows the Jets are hoping to find a longer term answer at Qb in either Petty or hackenberg.  It's a real concern.  Fitz has offered to do a one year deal; the Jets have said no.  Why?  Precisely because the Jets want the flexibility of retaining him on the roster even if they want to enter the season with Petty or Hackenberg as the starter in 17.  But they also don't want to pay RF a lot of money to hold a clipboard.

That makes sense for the Jets.  NOt so much for RF.  I am virtually certain that is what is holding up the negotiation.

I agree 100 % no player/QB should ever agree to a main incentive based on team goals. For instance If the Jets are saying Fitz can get his 12 mil in year two if the Jets make the playoffs in year one and Fitz is the starter is a really bad move for any QB. The team can suffer a rash of injuries causing them to spiral out of control then where does that leave the QB whether he played good or even great. Team based incentives are usually an add on. So if a guy like Drew Bree's gets a 20 million dollar contract they may throw in TD's Yards that up the amount and then maybe a team based incentive like making the playoffs or the SB 

The fact of the matter here is we are debating the Fitz Jets issue without even having all the wording of the current contract offer. We don't know what gets Fitz to 12 mil in year 2 or 3 sure we can speculate but if this is what's holding up Fitz Signing you have to bet they are team based incentives that simply are not fair to the QB. NOW if they are starter based like if you start in year 2 the 6 mil turns to 12 then Fitz should cut the crap and sign but I doubt that's the case.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets are not in a better position than Fitz. Lets forget about the rest of the NFL for a second for the simple reason no one is going to pay a 34 year old QB starter money hoping he catches on to their system on teams that cant even contend ATM.

In the case of the god damn Jets Fitz already knows the system, has a good rapport with the players, and already played well in those circumstances. The players want him signed, the GM wants him signed, the fans want him signed and no one with half a brain wants another year of Geno Smith when this team has about a 2 year window to contend with the current roster.... After that point (and Macc knows this ) its rebuild time and then you bring in the younger QB's to have a real chance to compete with one another. This is why Macc is low balling years 2 and 3. Honestly I think the sticking point is year 3 because Macc knows in year 3 there probably wont be any Matt Fortes or Nick Mangolds or any of the other 30 + year old players on this roster so at that point why would you pay Fitz 12 million at the age of 37 when you should be thinking about the furture ?

The way Macc built this team its stupid to speculate whether or not Geno can be the man right now. Macc wants Fitz but he wants him on his terms and Fitz probably feels there is a 2 year window as well. This could and should turn into a 2 year deal IMO and when the Jets unload all the 30 + players currently on the roster in year three Fitz can either stay on at the age of 37 and help mentor or he can simply retire.

Whether or not you think the Jets are built to win now is irrelevant from a fan's perspective because Macc does think this team is built to win now due to the signings he has made which make it VERY clear. Macc is not going to put himself in jeopardy by playing Geno smith because if the Jets don't do something in the next 2 years or at least compete its rebuild time and these 2 years have been a total and complete waste of money on older players. Fitz is the only QB on this roster who has played well or played at all. he has the leverage and to let that slip by for a few million bucks would be ridiculously stupid on the part of the Jets.

we are in a better position b/c we have a Fitz like QB for cheap on the roster and Fitz has no other chance at a starting job.  w/ or w/o Fitz we will likely miss the playoffs this year.  Fitz has no leverage.

58 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I agree 100 % no player/QB should ever agree to a main incentive based on team goals. For instance If the Jets are saying Fitz can get his 12 mil in year two if the Jets make the playoffs in year one and Fitz is the starter is a really bad move for any QB. The team can suffer a rash of injuries causing them to spiral out of control then where does that leave the QB whether he played good or even great. Team based incentives are usually an add on. So if a guy like Drew Bree's gets a 20 million dollar contract they may throw in TD's Yards that up the amount and then maybe a team based incentive like making the playoffs or the SB 

The fact of the matter here is we are debating the Fitz Jets issue without even having all the wording of the current contract offer. We don't know what gets Fitz to 12 mil in year 2 or 3 sure we can speculate but if this is what's holding up Fitz Signing you have to bet they are team based incentives that simply are not fair to the QB. NOW if they are starter based like if you start in year 2 the 6 mil turns to 12 then Fitz should cut the crap and sign but I doubt that's the case.

I think incentives usually play out as sweeteners. They are not supposed to be the base part of the contract. If number of starts equates to millions of dollars it's out of the players control if the org decides to start somebody like Hack. Even if Fitz played well. The Jets can start anybody they want to but money talks. So that's why I feel a one year deal works. If Mac wants him back in '17 he can sign another one year deal. If he plays well at starter money. If not they cut him or sign him at backup pay. 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Only Denver and they reportedly offered him a contract after they signed Mark. Where were the other starting job openings. If you want we can go over every team in the NFL. As for being a backup he's started 105 games. That's not being a backup. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think incentives usually play out as sweeteners. They are not supposed to be the base part of the contract. If number of starts equates to millions of dollars it's out of the players control if the org decides to start somebody like Hack. Even if Fitz played well. The Jets can start anybody they want to but money talks. So that's why I feel a one year deal works. If Mac wants him back in '17 he can sign another one year deal. If he plays well at starter money. If not they cut him or sign him at backup pay. 

Or just force him to take whatever they want to offer.  Or he can retire.  Week 17 was a good way to end his career.

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

two comments.

One is I don't believe there is any hard info out there as to what the incentives are, so your post is highly speculative.  Second is too much of your other scenarios rely on taking a big risk if you are Fitzpatrick, such as expecting that holding out would end well.

Again I think a guaranteed first year with options to extend held by the Jets would work for both parties.

First, that's what I already said about the lack of leaks regarding the incentives terms. But it's reasonable that it's $12M each year he starts and $6M if he backs up. 

Your last sentence...that is what's on the table now, which you think is unfair. In fact, more than that is on the table, since they're guaranteeing more than just the first year (which, in practical terms, makes it 2 years guaranteed unless he's unexpectedly and suddenly a locker room cancer). 

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

How do you know he is not worth his asking price, and how do you know they don't have the money to pay him?

In my opinion he's not worth his asking price 11 year journeyman 6 different teams none making the playoffs and cap figures prove they dont have the money, 

Archived