Casserly Chimes In ...

KRL

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Imo if Geno had started on week 17 it wouldn't have even been close. 

http://nypost.com/2016/01/03/ryan-fitzpatrick-betrays-jets-when-they-need-him-most/

Ryan Fitzpatrick betrays Jets when they need him most

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — There was no FitzMagic left when the Jets needed it most, only a FitzTragic ending for the journeyman quarterback with no playoff journey once again.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was wearing a green Jets hoodie and making no attempt to hide the open wound inside his heart in an interview room adjacent to a devastated visiting locker room.

He had thrown a killer interception in the end zone just as the Jets were poised to complete a comeback that would have buried any and all Same Old Jets chatter.

He would throw two more in a fourth quarter when it seemed like the Ghost of A.J. Duhe had arrived to haunt this tortured franchise 47 years after Super Bowl III.

Rextinction can be so sudden and so cruel, especially in this town, Fitzpatrick’s home sweet home for four years … but it would have been cruel in any town.

“My heart hurts so bad right now for all those guys in the locker room,” Fitzpatrick said after Bills 22, Jets 17.

And they hurt for him. He established a franchise single-season record with his 30th touchdown pass, to Brandon Marshall, enjoyed a career year and led the charge to this win-and-in game.

“It’s the hardest, and the most difficult end to a season I’ve ever had,” Fitzpatrick said, “in terms of how I feel right now and how painful of a loss that was. At this point, it doesn’t feel like a very great season.”

Every last Jet who had witnessed FitzMagic down the stretch expected more of it, one more time, after he had capped a methodical drive with a 21-yard TD pass to Eric Decker past Corey Graham to make it Bills 19, Jets 17.

“We were rolling a little bit there, and just felt like we had some momentum in our favor,” Fitzpatrick said.

And soon Fitzpatrick was marching again, second-and-10 at the Buffalo 14.

Which meant 14 yards from his playoffs.

“It was a good feeling in the huddle, it was one of those things where we had the thing going,” Fitzpatrick said.

fitztragic2.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=3
Fitzpatrick is tackled on a run by the Bills’ Corey Graham.Photo: Getty Images

Fitzpatrick looked for Decker on a skinny post over the middle. But Leodis McKelvin had inside position.

“Really just kinda anticipation, timing throw,” Fitzpatrick said. “I think I threw it a little in front of him, I also think Leodis made a nice play. He sorta read the route a little bit …

“Wish I had that one back.”

The Jets had seen the Redskins score against the Bills on the same play. Decker blamed himself for not getting in front of McKelvin.

“It’s just not one person’s fault,” Decker said. “He’s a guy that’s been a tremendous leader, tough guy, and a reason why we have been in the position we are.”

It was 22-17 when Fitzpatrick got it back at his 20, 3:49 from Rextinction.

fitztragic3.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=3
Fitzpatrick and Rex Ryan exit the field together.Photo: Anthony J. Causi

And on third-and-9 from his 45 just after the 2-minute warning, he was hammered by Marcell Dareus and the duck for Marshall was intercepted by Manny Lawson.

Fitzpatrick had one last prayer of a chance at his 18 with 44 seconds and no timeouts, watched a bomb deep down the right sidelines get knocked out of Kenbrell Thompkins’ hands by Mario Butler before throwing the last fateful pick under duress, and beginning the lonely, empty walk toward next season.

Marshall absolved his quarterback of blame for the last two interceptions.

“If it wasn’t for Ryan Fitzpatrick, we wouldn’t be in this position,” Marshall said. “He played an awesome game, and not only that, he led us all season. … He led the way.”

He saved the season after Geno Smith went down for the count. He just couldn’t extend it.

“I’m proud of everybody in that locker room,” Fitzpatrick said, “but it hurts me a lot to … after this interview, I’ll have to walk back in there, and just the feeling of not playing your best and not making the plays we needed to make to win. … But it’s part of the game that I love to, just the adversity, and being able to walk back in there and look everybody in the eye, and give ’em hugs and shake hands. … It’s tough and it hurts, but there’s a lot of love in that locker room with all the guys.”

FitzMisery loves company.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitz threw 3 INTs in a row in the last 3 possessions of the season continuing his career playoff drought. 

Geno started for us the 3 previous Ls to the Bills and we got our asses kicked including the embarrassing game at Detroit. And of course the home game when Geno had the worst Qb start ever in Jets history. His passing (yardage) totals in those 3 games was: 103, 89 and 5. Week 17 we were at least in the game. It went down to 15 seconds left in the game. 

Just now, Mike135 said:

Marshall absolved his quarterback of blame for the last two interceptions.

“If it wasn’t for Ryan Fitzpatrick, we wouldn’t be in this position,” Marshall said. “He played an awesome game, and not only that, he led us all season. … He led the way.”

Yup

I’m proud of everybody in that locker room,” Fitzpatrick said, “but it hurts me a lot to … after this interview, I’ll have to walk back in there, and just the feeling of not playing your best and not making the plays we needed to make to win. … But it’s part of the game that I love to, just the adversity, and being able to walk back in there and look everybody in the eye, and give ’em hugs and shake hands. … It’s tough and it hurts, but there’s a lot of love in that locker room with all the guys.”

Ive sucked everywhere I've played being in the league for 11 years with 6 different teams...its tough and it hurts but thats who I am but theres a lot of love in the locker room and I'm damn good at Rubiks cube. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Geno started for us the 3 previous Ls to the Bills and we got our asses kicked including the embarrassing game at Detroit. And of course the game when Geno had the worst Qb start ever in Jets history. His passing (yardage) totals in those 3 games was: 103, 89 and 5. Week 17 we were at least in the game. It went down to 15 seconds left in the game. 

Understood but you are comparing a rookie QB to a veteran who also had a much better team than Geno ever had. 

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yup

Ha, we all know when teammates start complementing a player who played badly and have to say, "it's not one person's fault"...  it really is one person's fault.  

It was a FitzTragedy!  He doesn't belong anywhere near a starting role in the NFL.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Understood but you are comparing a rookie QB to a veteran who also had a much better team than Geno ever had. 

I'll give Geno credit. He did beat the Bills in his 3rd NFL start in 2013. Unfortunately it went downhill after that. But it is a legit excuse for him in 2013 because he was a rookie starting. It was more of a trend then to start rookie Qbs. But It's the only legit excuse. I don't buy the coaching staff alibi and MM was not a bad OC. And the overall talent of the team was satisfactory. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I'll give Geno credit. He did beat the Bills in his 3rd NFL start in 2013. Unfortunately it went downhill after that. But it is a legit excuse for him in 2013 because he was a rookie starting. It was more of a trend then to start rookie Qbs. But It's the only legit excuse. I don't buy the coaching staff alibi and MM was not a bad OC. And the overall talent of the team was satisfactory. 

Rex and MM suck ass they ruined Sanchez 

Just now, Mike135 said:

Ha, we all know when teammates start complementing a player who played badly and have to say, "it's not one person's fault"...  it really is one person's fault.  

It was a FitzTragedy!  He doesn't belong anywhere near a starting role in the NFL.

If only Mac and Bowles had your wisdom and insight, they'd hand the job to the two-time defending worst starting QB in the NFL.  IMO, he's still defending that title because IK prevented him from being able to 3-peat.

Maybe if Fitz holds out long enough, Geno will finally get that elusive 3rd "worst QB in the NFL" award and bring the title home.

Just now, AFJF said:

If only Mac and Bowles had your wisdom and insight, they'd hand the job to the two-time defending worst starting QB in the NFL.  IMO, he's still defending that title because IK prevented him from being able to 3-peat.

Maybe if Fitz holds out long enough, Geno will finally get that elusive 3rd "worst QB in the NFL" award and bring the title home.

If Macc and Bowles had that much faith in Fitzpatrick we wouldnt be having this discussion. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If Macc and Bowles had that much faith in Fitzpatrick we wouldnt be having this discussion. 

Sure and they obviously have no faith in Geno. If they want to keep their jobs. The last guy(s) who started Geno got fired. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If Fitz was as bad as you wish he was, they would have never given up a 7th round pick for him.  Or started him over a healthy Geno Smith 14 weeks in a row.  Or named him the starter again for this season way back in January. Or failed to sign a veteran in  his place.  Or kept lines of communication open despite Fitz rebuffing their offer.  Or kept his locker empty for him throughout camp.

But....they did every single one of those things.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Once Mac is fired, I have no doubt you'll be next in line.

Screw that.  It's a thankless job.  Some fans are always gonna hate ya.  You have to deal with bone heads like Sheldon and psychotic fools like Fitz.

I'm happy to offer up the knowledge for free here.  It's up to Macc to pay attention.

Now if the day comes that I have 2bil free, I'll happily take over for Woody.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Screw that.  It's a thankless job.  Some fans are always gonna hate ya.  You have to deal with bone heads like Sheldon and psychotic fools like Fitz.

I'm happy to offer up the knowledge for free here.  It's up to Macc to pay attention.

Now if the day comes that I have 2bil free, I'll happily take over for Woody.

All that knowledge and unwilling to step up and bring home the Lombardi...I knew you weren't a true fan.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

All that knowledge and unwilling to step up and bring home the Lombardi...I knew you weren't a true fan.

I'll play QB in place of Fitz if that'll help.  I don't care for beards, but do have a stronger arm.  Though that's not saying much.  Half of us probably have stronger arms than Fitz.

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I'll play QB in place of Fitz if that'll help.  I don't care for beards, but do have a stronger arm.  Though that's not saying much.  Half of us probably have stronger arms than Fitz.

Jamarcus Russell has as pretty strong arm, and Tim Tebow has a playoff win.  Go get 'em Mike...strong arm and playoff wins are the only way to evaluate a QB.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Jamarcus Russell has as pretty strong arm, and Tim Tebow has a playoff win.  Go get 'em Mike...strong arm and playoff wins are the only way to evaluate a QB.

No no, you misunderstood me.  Not strong arm and playoff wins.  Strong arm and no beard.  That's the ticket right there.  Those beards are unhygienic.

Though after an 11 year career, even just a playoff appearance would be nice.

Just now, Mike135 said:

No no, you misunderstood me.  Not strong arm and playoff wins.  Strong arm and no beard.  That's the ticket right there.  Those beards are unhygienic.

Though after an 11 year career, even just a playoff appearance would be nice.

Jamarcus doesn't have a beard...sounds like you've found your QB of the future.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Why haven't they signed Fitz then? 

Because they made an offer and Fitz put them on hold.  He'll sign when he feels like it.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why haven't they signed Fitz then? 

joewilly aren't you with us. Did you forget what you're mad about. They have a contract still on the table. His locker is ready. The coaches, players and the GM want him back and the starting job is his. Fitz hasn't signed because he doesn't like the contract. They want him back! 

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Either one would take less than they're offering Fitz, so...you're wrong.

We have 0 money. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

joewilly aren't you with us. Did you forget what you're mad about. They have a contract still on the table. His locker is ready. The coaches, players and the GM want him back and the starting job is his. Fitz hasn't  signed because he doesn't like the contract. They want him back! 

Dont be so sure about all that. 

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Because they made an offer and Fitz put them on hold.  He'll sign when he feels like it.

He's not a good teammate.  Many fans hope players offer hometown discounts, but that rarely happens.  And if it does happen, it's usually pretty minimal.

Fitz on the other hand is being offered at least double what any other team would give him, yet he still decides to skip team activities.  He's a self-involved, greedy, weak-armed, pressure-adverse, lazy loser.  (Cool guy though.)

Just now, Mike135 said:

He's not a good teammate.  Many fans hope players offer hometown discounts, but that rarely happens.  And if it does happen, it's usually pretty minimal.

Fitz on the other hand is being offered at least double what any other team would give him, yet he still decides to skip team activities.  He's a self-involved, greedy, weak-armed, pressure-adverse, lazy loser.  (Cool guy though.)

And with all of that being said, the NFL executive of the year wants him back because his only other option is Geno Smith.

Just now, AFJF said:

And with all of that being said, the NFL executive of the year wants him back because his only other option is Geno Smith.

Still holding out hope there's something going on behind the scenes we don't know about.  And Macc really has no intention of signing Fitz.  Or at least not paying him more than 5mil per.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

1RZQutb

Goes to Buffalo...laughs hysterically as his QB and WR run the same route over and over and over and over and over and over again to maintain possession for 40 minutes, limiting the Jets to 17 points.

I wonder why everyone outside of Geno fans hold the entire team accountable for that horrific performance/meltdown.

Archived