What advanced stats say about Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2015 season

Gas2No99

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So we assume everyone was right when Fitz was on the field, and everyone was wrong when Geno was on the field. 

Seem legit.

That is your assumption. Looking at the best WR tandem in the NFL the chances of being right are extremely high vice Clyde Gates and David Nelson. 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetdawgg said:

That is your assumption. Looking at the best WR tandem in the NFL the chances of being right are extremely high vice Clyde Gates and David Nelson. 

This is my exact point.  I wasn't referring to Gates or Nelson, but those are the names Geno fans keep bringing up.

Like him or not, Jeremy Kerley is a good NFL WR.

Like him or not, Percy Harvin (when healthy) is a good NFL WR.

Like it or not, Eric Decker was healthy for a good portion of the Jets/Packers game two years ago.

Geno continually missed wide open WR's deep down the field on plays that would have very likely changed the outcome.

But yes, when a guy runs a go route, Geno spots him, throws that route, but the ball lands five yards out of bounds, it's clearly because the receiver ran the wrong route...the play calls were for Harvin to run an out route, making the catch 10 yards out of bounds where there were no defenders.

I mean if you think about it, comparing Clyde Gates and David Nelson to Marshall and Decker makes perfect sense, since the 5th and 6th receivers are the same as the 1 and 2.

Same idiots that insisted Kerly was great, now discounting his very presence on the team (along with Decker).

1 hour ago, slats said:

Don't know, although it would appear to have nothing to do with accuracy. 

An inconvenient reality you just can't work yourself around:  if you're right, why doesn't reality reflect it?

More, why does reality seem to directly contradict your opinions?

There is no getting around it, if Geno was so clearly the better choice, the GM and Coach would see it too.  And act accordingly.

Only pretzel logic where Macc and Bowles, despite having all the day to day insider info on both players, are ignorant idiots who cannot see the truth, but you, slats, are a brilliant visionary thats sees what others can't.  That's the only way to make the "Geno is clearly better" scenario possible.

So what do you think are the odds of that?  That despite their day to day experience, you know better than Macc, Bowles, Chan and the entire Jets Organization?

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

And you insist on making the same old tired excuses for the worst QB in the NFL in 2013 and 2014.

Of course Fitz is responsible for HIS play.  Same way every player is responsible for their own play.  I'm sorry, was someone holding Fitz's (or Geno's) arm and forcing them to throw a pass a certain way?

The fact that Geno fans think Geno is not responsible for his own play....just laughable.  Having bad WR's doesn't make you throw bad INT's into DB's chests or to fumble any time you're tocuhed or the run backwards and out of bounds moving your team out of FG range.  That's on the player who made those decisions and performed those actions.

And Geno, until proven otherwise in games that count, is the worst QB in the NFL.    

For the millionth time, it's not "hate" chuckles.  

And yes, he has a better arm.  Yes he has better legs (although he is worse and less intelligent at using them).  No, he is not as accurate.  And no, he's not football smart, at least he hasn't proven he is as yet.  He was one of the dumbest ball-control QB's in the NFL in 2013 and 2014, his decision making was horrific.  

I hear in "advance stats" that means we can award Geno another win, and take away an incompletion.

Ok, then Geno can prove it and make me stfu.  We have one of the most talented rosters in Jets history right now.  If Geno is what you think, he'll win the job even if Fitz is resigned, and he'll have an exceptionally successful season with all this talent around him.

That'd be f'ing AWESOME.  I HOPE that happens.

I just don't THINK it'll happen.  

Wow, way to just completely ignore all of my points and just throw out the "Geno is the worst QB in the NFL" non-argument. Clearly your opinion is not based upon anything tangible.

Oh and 13 ints in 14 games is roughly the same level of ball control as 15 in 16 games, and Fitz threw up at least a dozen more that should have been intercepted. So clearly the dumbest ball control QBs in the NFL. Fitz is as bad and he is a 10 year veteran. And exactly what level of awesome decision making are you expecting from a QB coming from a single read spread to the most complicated west coast offense in the NFL? As a rookie. Please.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Wow, way to just completely ignore all of my points and just throw out the "Geno is the worst QB in the NFL" non-argument. Clearly your opinion is not based upon anything tangible.

Oh and 13 ints in 14 games is roughly the same level of ball control as 15 in 16 games, and Fitz threw up at least a dozen more that should have been intercepted. So clearly the dumbest ball control QBs in the NFL. Fitz is as bad and he is a 10 year veteran. And exactly what level of awesome decision making are you expecting from a QB coming from a single read spread to the most complicated west coast offense in the NFL? As a rookie. Please.

If you can't see the difference watching the QB play in 2013/2014 and in 2015, there is nothing I, or anyone else, can do to help you.  You're a lost cause.

No amount of stat manipulation (one sided, of course, since no one needs to cite Geno's "advanced stats" to make him look as bad as he was) will make what we saw in 2013/2014 better than what we saw in 2015.

You want to go backwards, rest the 2016 season on an already proven failure, have at it.  End of the day, I think we're BOTH going to be disappointed.

You, because Geno Smith is almost assuredly never going to be the starting QB for this team again.

Me, because Fitz will play well, but inevitably sh*t the bed (or be let down by his team) next year, and it will cost us the playoffs.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you can't see the difference watching the QB play in 2013/2014 and in 2015, there is nothing I, or anyone else, can do to help you.  You're a lost cause.

No amount of stat manipulation (one sided, of course, since no one needs to cite Geno's "advanced stats" to make him look as bad as he was) will make what we saw in 2013/2014 better than what we saw in 2015.

You want to go backwards, rest the 2016 season on an already proven failure, have at it.  End of the day, I think we're BOTH going to be disappointed.

You, because Geno Smith is almost assuredly never going to be the starting QB for this team again.

Me, because Fitz will play well, but inevitably sh*t the bed (or be let down by his team) next year, and it will cost us the playoffs.

Fitz was surrounded with much better talent and a coaching staff who actually knew something about football cant deny the facts. 

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

David Nelson in 2011 with Ryan Fitzpatrick playing QB:

61 receptions, 658 yds, 5 TD's

David Nelson with Geno Smith:

Out of the NFL

Interesting.

2014 with Geno as the starting QB and Eric Decker as his #1 receiver 

74 receptions, 962 yards, 5 TDs

The #2 receiver that year was Kerley with :

38 receptions, 409 yards, 1 TD  

2015 with Fitzy as the starting QB and Decker as the #2  receiver :

80 receptions, 1,027yards, 12 TDs 

The #3 receiver, 38 receptions, 388 yards, 2 TDs 

In 2014 Decker was in and out of the lineup and played hurt . In 2015 Marshall was the #1 receiver and his #s were even better than Decker's .  In 2014  Geno Smith was a 2nd year QB playing in a system that was new to him and his teammates .  In 2015 Fitzy was season veteran playing in a system that was new to his teammates but that he had played in multiple times prior .

Let's not let the facts get in the way of an agenda .

Geno Smith has been a miserable QB for the Jets over the 2 seasons he was the starter . He played in 2 different systems with 2 different offensive coordinators and he was a wreck . Despite that, he got better from year 1 to year 2 and he didn't have much help . He may never be any good, but what if he is . 

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child and I did childish things . When I became a man, I put away childish things" . 

In the words of Eric Mangini, "it's a process" .   

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I will tell you this. If Fitz starts, Geno will be starter before game 8. How you can watch Fitz and not see that he is a completely marginal player, that has terrible ball control, no arm whatsoever, and has proven how crappy he is over 10 years and think he is a decent QB is beyond me. Geno has a lot to overcome, but he is the best option for this year and the future. playing Fitz and giving up future players and cap space to sign him is a purely regressive move. Again, "what you saw" with Fitz and with Geno in 2013 and 2014 was largely a matter of situation but you refuse to acknowledge it. You are wrong on this but you are entitled to your opinion.

Just now, Tinstar said:

In 2014 Decker was in and out of the lineup and played hurt . In 2015 Marshall was the #1 receiver and his #s were even better than Decker's .  In 2014  Geno Smith was a 2nd year QB playing in a system that was new to him and his teammates .  In 2015 Fitzy was season veteran playing in a system that was new to his teammates but that he had played in multiple times prior .

Geno Smith has been a miserable QB for the Jets over the 2 seasons he was the starter . He played in 2 different systems with 2 different offensive coordinators and he was a wreck . Despite that, he got better from year 1 to year 2 and he didn't have much help . He may never be any good, but what if he is . 

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child and I did childish things . When I became a man, I put away childish things" . 

Decker was injured for most of 2014 he played with the injury the Jets brought in Clyde Gates and David Nelson who had no business being in the NFL 

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Yet the NFL exec of the year prefers Fitz and drafted two QB's since his arrival...LOL

Decker was on the field for the vast majority of that season with Geno and the only reason his numbers look respectable are because of that week 17 joke in which he spent a good portion of the day torching a CB who retired two months later.

Eric Mangini...what's that genius up to nowadays?

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Geno isnt an 11 year vet and has potential upside, especially with better targets. Fitzpatrick is who he is even with those better targets. THAT my friend is what isnt even debatable. 

when you are the worst qb the nfl has to offer in 2013-2014 and lose your starting position in 2015 over $600, yea, I guess the only way that you can go is up. hence, "potential upside" has a lot of truth to it

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

when you are the worst qb the nfl has to offer in 2013-2014 and lose your starting position in 2015 over $600, yea, I guess the only way that you can go is up. hence, "potential upside" has a lot of truth to it

What upside does Fitzpatrick have?  6 teams in 11 years should tell you something. We saw his best last season with a weak schedule surrounded by enough talent to  at least make the playoffs. 

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

An inconvenient reality you just can't work yourself around:  if you're right, why doesn't reality reflect it?

More, why does reality seem to directly contradict your opinions?

There is no getting around it, if Geno was so clearly the better choice, the GM and Coach would see it too.  And act accordingly.

Only pretzel logic where Macc and Bowles, despite having all the day to day insider info on both players, are ignorant idiots who cannot see the truth, but you, slats, are a brilliant visionary thats sees what others can't.  That's the only way to make the "Geno is clearly better" scenario possible.

So what do you think are the odds of that?  That despite their day to day experience, you know better than Macc, Bowles, Chan and the entire Jets Organization?

Why is it that you always have to put words in people's mouths to refute, rather than use people's actual words? 

I never said Geno was better, certainly never said Geno was clearly better. I said: I don't think Fitz is worth $15M guaranteed more than Geno. That's it. 

The Jets have a three year deal on the table they haven't budged from. Fitz doesn't like it, asked for a one year deal, but the Jets haven't budged. The value they see in Fitzpatrick is in that three year deal - where they hope he's relegated to the backup position no later than the start of next season. If Fitz' value to them (or any other team in the league) was simply what he brings on the field, I'd have to think they would've given him his one year. They haven't. They want him in the backup/mentor role. They're playing hardball, and I'm at least glad for that. 

Yes, it's quite clear they prefer Fitz, and that also makes sense - when you take the whole mentor thing into account. Geno lacks leadership abilities, and has been questionable (to put it mildly) in the professionalism department. I don't blame them at all for not wanting their pupils learning from him. But at the same time, by playing hardball with Fitz, they're risking not signing him at all. Which so far tells me that Mac, Bowles, Chan, and the entire Jets organization aren't nearly as frightened by the prospect of Geno Smith starting at QB this year as you or some fans are. 

They want Fitz for three years, the last two in a backup capacity, or they'll go with Geno for one season. That would seem to be the reality today. 

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yet the NFL exec of the year prefers Fitz and drafted two QB's since his arrival...LOL

Eric Mangini...what's that genius up to nowadays?

And why would he not based on both Players production as a Jet ?

The Packers had a HOF QB on their roster and drafted Aaron Rodgers in the 1st round .

The Pats have Tom Brady and have drafted multiple QBs year after yr.

The cowboys have Tony Romo and have drafted multiple QBs year after yr.

Even the teams with super Star QBs draft QBs when the opportunity presents itself.

Here is what it boils down too ;

At the present moment, Geno Smith is a member of the NYJets and Ryan Fitzpatrick is not .  As a Jet Fan, why do you support someone who is not a member of the team you love and Hate on someone who is a member of that same team  ? 

Just now, Tinstar said:

The Packers had a HOF QB on their roster and drafted Aaron Rodgers in the 1st round .

Even the teams with super Star QBs draft QBs when the opportunity presents itself.

At the present moment, Geno Smith is a member of the NYJets and Ryan Fitzpatrick is not .  As a Jet Fan, why do you support someone who is not a member of the team you love and Hate on someone who is a member of that same team  ? 

I wonder if all the Fitzpatrick fans will change their allegiance to the Fitzpatrick Couch Potatoes for the upcoming NFL season. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What upside does Fitzpatrick have?  6 teams in 11 years should tell you something. We saw his best last season with a weak schedule surrounded by enough talent to  at least make the playoffs. 

never said fitz has upside. I agreed with vtf that geno has "potential upside". you just don't like the obvious reasoning

bmarsh was the teams MVP by 17 miles last year.  even fitz couldn't believe how much he was bailed out by the beast.  it makes me sad that we finally have wepinz and still have no QB

this is like last off season, arguing against starting the 32nd or 33rd ranked QB in the league

sad face

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Geno Smith is a pretty fair comparison to Brady and Favre...you got me on that one.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't on the Jets right now.  In a few weeks, he will be.  Sorry.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

bmarsh was the teams MVP by 17 miles last year.  even fitz couldn't believe how much he was bailed out by the beast.  it makes me sad that we finally have wepinz and still have no QB

this is like last off season, arguing against starting the 32nd or 33rd ranked QB in the league

sad face

Can't argue this too much, but I'd say more like arguing 28th starting QB vs the 45th or so is probably more likely.

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Holy hell!!!!!

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

This is my exact point.  I wasn't referring to Gates or Nelson, but those are the names Geno fans keep bringing up.

Like him or not, Jeremy Kerley is a good NFL WR.

Like him or not, Percy Harvin (when healthy) is a good NFL WR.

Like it or not, Eric Decker was healthy for a good portion of the Jets/Packers game two years ago.

Geno continually missed wide open WR's deep down the field on plays that would have very likely changed the outcome.

But yes, when a guy runs a go route, Geno spots him, throws that route, but the ball lands five yards out of bounds, it's clearly because the receiver ran the wrong route...the play calls were for Harvin to run an out route, making the catch 10 yards out of bounds where there were no defenders.

Let's not forget how bad Brian Winters played that year and that game. I think his worst was the Chicago game. The GB game was a disaster though. I don't have an issue with your thoughts on Fitz. He is not on the team now. He is not a NY Jets QB. Geno is.

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

Let's not forget how bad Brian Winters played that year and that game. I think his worst was the Chicago game. The GB game was a disaster though. I don't have an issue with your thoughts on Fitz. He is not on the team now. He is not a NY Jets QB. Geno is.

I hesitate to blame the right guard for the QB's inability to hit an open receiver down the field with a clean pocket.

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

How are you going to feel if Fitz signs his deal and he's the Jets QB?  Are you going to be rooting against him with the rest of the Geno guys?

I don't think Geno is good, but I hope that if he's still on the roster when the season starts and that if he gets on the field, he leads the NFL in every single significant offensive category.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How are you going to feel if Fitz signs his deal and he's the Jets QB?  Are you going to be rooting against him with the rest of the Geno guys?

I don't think Geno is good, but I hope that if he's still on the roster when the season starts and that if he gets on the field, he leads the NFL in every single significant offensive category.

That will be great if it happens and like any other Jets fan I always root for the team not the individual player. 

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I hesitate to blame the right guard for the QB's inability to hit an open receiver down the field with a clean pocket.

Winters. Was a gaping hole for those NFCN teams that season. How can any QB play with defenders bearing in on him constantly? Please address that for me.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I root for the Jets. 

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

That will be great if it happens and like any other Jets fan I always root for the team not the individual player. 

Got any awesome Patriots gif's for us today?

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Why is it that you always have to put words in people's mouths to refute, rather than use people's actual words? 

I never said Geno was better, certainly never said Geno was clearly better. I said: I don't think Fitz is worth $15M guaranteed more than Geno. That's it. 

The Jets have a three year deal on the table they haven't budged from. Fitz doesn't like it, asked for a one year deal, but the Jets haven't budged. The value they see in Fitzpatrick is in that three year deal - where they hope he's relegated to the backup position no later than the start of next season. If Fitz' value to them (or any other team in the league) was simply what he brings on the field, I'd have to think they would've given him his one year. They haven't. They want him in the backup/mentor role. They're playing hardball, and I'm at least glad for that. 

Yes, it's quite clear they prefer Fitz, and that also makes sense - when you take the whole mentor thing into account. Geno lacks leadership abilities, and has been questionable (to put it mildly) in the professionalism department. I don't blame them at all for not wanting their pupils learning from him. But at the same time, by playing hardball with Fitz, they're risking not signing him at all. Which so far tells me that Mac, Bowles, Chan, and the entire Jets organization aren't nearly as frightened by the prospect of Geno Smith starting at QB this year as you or some fans are. 

They want Fitz for three years, the last two in a backup capacity, or they'll go with Geno for one season. That would seem to be the reality today. 

slats, the front office is shaking in their boots at the thought of starting geno smith. there is no other way around it.

they state fitz is the 2016 starter even tho he is not under contract and geno smith is

they made an offer that was not topped by any other team 4 months ago. still on the table

mac has stated his primary goal was to get fitz signed after the draft

at the same time, mac also stated that both sides need to compromise to get the deal done AFTER the offer was made. doesn't sound like a guy who made a "take it or leave it" offer and doesn't sound like a guy who feels comfortable with geno smith starting

mac showed little to no interest in any other free agent qb's despite having a 4th round project and the leagues worst starting qb in 2013-2014 on the roster

a few days of having geno smith playing pitch and catch during ota's has not changed the front offices mind

yes, the front office has a lot of leverage but fitz has just as much

fitz will sign with the ny jets. you can take that to the bank. he will not sign the current offer

32 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Geno Smith is a pretty fair comparison to Brady and Favre...you got me on that one.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't on the Jets right now.  In a few weeks, he will be.  Sorry.

Where did I make that comparison  ?  Until Ryan Fitzpatrick is a member of the Jets, he's non of my concern football-wise. The day he walks into training camp and assumes control of the offense, is when he becomes relevant .

By the way, if he shows up after training camp starts and is given the starting Job immediately, Todd Bowles will regret it . 

By the way, are you retired Military, active  or reserve ?

8 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Winters. Was a gaping hole for those NFCN teams that season. How can any QB play with defenders bearing in on him constantly? Please address that for me.

I'm talking about specific plays where Geno had little to no pressure and failed to hit wide open receivers for what should have been easy TD's.  Not really interested in which division it was against.  Hell, he missed wide open sure-thing TD's against division and non-division opponents.

57 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I just exposed EM31 for this "Worst QB in the NFL" nonsense. Just scroll down for my response.

The same link that showed Geno as the worst QB (ranked 37th) also had Josh McCown as the 3rd best QB in 2013 and Nick Foles as the best overall.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-rating-by-total-and-components/2013/

That in itself shows just how beyond stupid the ranking was and furthermore how guys will use ANY ranking for as long as it makes Geno look terrible, even when that same ranking has Josh McCown rated higher than Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton...etc, etc. This has gotten truly beyond ridiculous just to try to make your own QB look bad. What else is there to call this but stupid? 

As for the $600...I dont care much about it because it has nothing to do with the topic. That's your problem, along with many other Jets fans. Too busy following and holding on to the gossip like some sort of soap opera. I mean, Erica Kane (Susan Lucci) probably hasnt garnered this level of captivation with her soap opera work than Geno has with $600. Its really pathetic at this point. Let it go.

Just now, Tinstar said:

Where did I make that comparison  ?  Until Ryan Fitzpatrick is a member of the Jets, he's non of my concern football-wise. The day he walks into training camp and assumes control of the offense, is when he becomes relevant .

By the way, if he shows up after training camp starts and is given the starting Job immediately, Todd Bowles will regret it . 

I'm the type of fan who is interested in any payer on the Jets roster, or who the Jets are reported to be pursuing, especially one who has been named the starter if and when he signs.

Perfect example...last off-season, when free agency began, I was completely tuned in to any progress with Revis.  I mean, sure, at that time he wasn't a Jet but Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle were.  That doesn't mean I was going to stand there and say they were our starting cornerbacks and I don't care about Revis or Cro or Skrine.

I can't help but wonder if Bowles already regrets promising him the job.

My hope, as I've said many times, is that Fitz comes back, providing an option for proven effecient QB play, but that one of the other QB's on the roster outplays him by so much that Bowles has no choice but to go with said QB.  Be it Geno, Petty or Hack.

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

By the way, are you retired Military, active  or reserve ?

Active for another seven months...retire in Feb, start terminal leave a week or two before X-mas.

Archived