Rocket Scientists

BowlesMovement

I have seen many of the boards Rocket Scientists making claims about how all 31 teams have said no to Fitzpatrick, except the Jets. 

So, while they are busy helping build tools to get our great species to Mars and beyond, I figured I would dig a bit deeper into this, so they can continue their far more important work.

Lets look at all 31 teams, and their QB situation:

AFC East

Patriots - Brady

Jets

Bills - Taylor, young QB who showed a lot of promise, no way you can think about replacing him unless a bonafide top tier QB becomes available

Dolphins - Tannehill, I don't think he is very good, but they are tied to him based on the contract they gave him, and they need to see if he can become anything. Only way they replace him is with a bonafide top tier QB

AFC West

Broncos - Sanchez and an unproven, definitely a possibility

Chiefs - Alex Smith, no reason to go after Fitzpatrick, if a stud QB became available, would make sense, but Smith is in the same class of QB as Fitzpatrick, but probably better.

Chargers - Rivers, despite me thinking he is overrated, he is still better than Fitzpatrick, and still a middle of the pack starter in this league, no reason to go after a QB short of a true star

Raiders - Solid young up and coming QB in Carr, can't even thin about it

AFC North

Bengals - Dalton, basically a slightly better Fitzpatrick, same class of QB as Fitzpatrick, younger and a bit better

Steelers - Rapist

Ravens - Flacco

Browns - Nothing really, could have been a possibility, but Fitzpatrick makes no sense for them at all. They have nothing around him, and are in a rebuild mode with a new HC, he would be pointless for them.

AFC South

Texans - Signed Osweiller to a big deal, I think it was a mistake, but time will tell

Colts - Mr. Overrated, Andrew Luck

Jaguars - Bortles, not sure how good he is, but young and promising

Titans - Just drafted Mariota

NFC East

Redskins - got a good season out of Cousins and tagged him

Giants - Eli Manning

Cowboys - Romo, Fitzpatrick would be a great backup option for them, but not a starter option for them

Eagles - similar to Browns, and they tagged Bradford, who is worse than Fitzpatrick

NFC West

Cardinals - Palmer

Seahawks - Wilson

49ers - Similar to Browns, and still have Kap with a big $$ contract

Rams - Could have been a fit, but were committed to going out and getting Goff, hard to fault any team for making a big push for a potential franchise QB

NFC North

Packers - The guy Geno would have been had he sat behind Favre for a few years

Bears - Cutler, I think he sucks, and Fitzpatrick is a better overall starting QB, but with the contract he has, Fitzpatrick is not that good to consider the move

Lions - Stafford, I don't think he is very good, but Fitzpatrick makes no sense over him

Vikings - Young up and coming QB in Bridgewater

NFC South

Panthers - Dabber

Falcons - Another hugely overrated QB, but still probaly better than Fitzpatrick in Matty "melted ice"

Saints - Brees

Bucs - Winston just drafted

So, while I am not a rocket scientist, the realistic options for a starting QB of the caliber of Fitzpatrick was basically the Jets, and the Broncos. Ironically, the two teams who showed interest in him, but also the two teams who can do the same non rocket science type analysis I just did above, and see that there is no reason to pay him what he is looking for.

It happens to be a very rare time in the NFL where the majority of teams are committed to a QB for better or for worse. 

So, when you have a spare second trying to find an alternate planet for our species, because plastic is destroying the Earth, please keep this in mind when you throw around "All 31 teams passed on Fitz".

Kind thanks in advance

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Packers - The guy Geno would have been had he sat behind Favre for a few years" 

While I do believe Geno would have benefited from a situation like this it is asinine to think he would be Aaron Rodger one of the best, if not best qb's in the league right now.

10 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

"Packers - The guy Geno would have been had he sat behind Favre for a few years" 

While I do believe Geno would have benefited from a situation like this it is asinine to think he would be Aaron Rodger one of the best, if not best qb's in the league right now.

sorry, that was homage to my homeboy Slats.

Good analysis, I don't agree with it all, Bradford I think is better than Fitz (but maybe not for the Jets). It's not just raw talent but how a guy fits in and runs that team's offense.. And Geno, come on now. The bottom line is that in 2016 no jobs so far. And if other current starters got cut some of them wouldn't displace current Qbs. They would have a hard time finding a starting job. Another key factor is how many of these starters are in contracts wiith guaranteed money still on the books. No team is going to cut a guy they still have to pay. And that's a reason SF is not an option. They have an expensive Qb on the books already. 

As a person who possesses many advanced degrees in rocket engineering, allow me to present the actual formula thusly:

32 NFL teams, each team with ~3 roster slots devoted to the QB position, equalling 96 available roster slots for the available population of quarterbacks.

if you work out the math using my highly sophistucated training, one could conclude that, in the opinion of those 32 NFL teams, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not one of the 96 most desirable candidates to fill those available slots. 

While some on this board (even myself) have said that the entire league passed on Fitz, the bottomline is because its true. The reason why I say it is this. We have the "other" rocket scientist that say that Fitzpatrick should be paid like a "Starting" QB, which will put him in that category based on the salary. 

Imagine guys like Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers, Brock Osweiler (was a free agent). Does anyone honestly think that if any one of these guys were on the market that teams that needed QB's such as the Browns, Rams, Jets, Broncos, Texans etc would have just left these guys in free agency? Of course not. I use these guys above because they're not considered "elite" and some people here either think their overrated (Manning, Dalton, Stafford, Flacco), a stats padder (Rivers, Cutler) or just a game manager (Smith, Osweiler). 

At the end of the day these guys would have found a team, just like Osweiler did, though I also dont believe that he was worth the contract. Guys like RG3 with all of his issues found a team in the Browns and Cleveland was willing to take a chance on RG3 and his upside than Fitzpatrick and his current "record breaking" season, and I would truly make the guess that it was because of the price tag. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is not the talent of most of these guys (I dont know what Osweiler is yet), all of these QB's have playoff history/appearances etc. Also, Ryan Fitzpatrick was a free agent for the entirety of free agency, so alot of these guys who were signed to their respective teams (RG3, Osweiler, Sanchez etc.) were all considered and eventually taken over Ryan Fitzpatrick either through free agency or via trade (Sanchez). 

Sure, someone saying that Ryan Fitzpatrick was passed by all 31 other teams is a bit extra, but the fact is that all of these teams are more comfortable with their current starter over considering Fitzpatrick an "upgrade", and that taking into account the mentioned QB's above who many consider to either have some sort of flaw in their game, whether its being overrated, overpaid, just dont like them....etc. 

Furthermore, teams who didnt have that current QB on their team to even consider decided not to turn to Fitzpatrick and either decided to trade (Denver) or find a solution in the draft (Eagles, Rams). To an extent we can even put the Jets in that same category given that the Jets (based on their actions) have shown that they're more than willing to move forward with Geno Smith and attempt to find a solution in the draft by drafting Hackenberg.....rather than paying Ryan Fitzpatrick as a "Starting QB" if you will. 

It may not be as extreme as being a "rocket scientist".....but it shouldnt be considered equally as extreme as considering the people who have made such a statement..."Stupid". Not saying you did, but I know some would assume given their optimism on Fitz. 

Fitz is worth signing to a team, even the Jets.....his asking price however is utterly ridiculous, and THAT'S what all 31 teams "IMO" passed on. Perfect example, If the Jets currently had Fitzpatrick as the starting QB for the amount of money they had him signed to last year, and a guy like Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco or even Andy Dalton were available for the amount of money that Fitz is asking for, I could easily see the Jets releasing Fitzpatrick in order to sign one of those guys. I cant see the Bengals, Ravens or Chargers releasing any of their guys in order to make space for Fitzpatrick. We can even throw Alex Smith and the Chiefs into that mix. So in essence, all 32 teams (including the Jets) are passing on Fitz and his ridiculous price tag. 

And that's not rocket science, of course! 

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As a person who possesses many advanced degrees in rocket engineering, allow me to present the actual formula thusly:

32 NFL teams, each team with ~3 roster slots devoted to the QB position, equalling 96 available roster slots for the available population of quarterbacks.

if you work out the math using my highly sophistucated training, one could conclude that, in the opinion of those 32 NFL teams, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not one of the 96 most desirable candidates to fill those available slots. 

You are leaving out the AFL and the CFL.

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

While some on this board (even myself) have said that the entire league passed on Fitz, the bottomline is because its true. The reason why I say it is this. We have the "other" rocket scientist that say that Fitzpatrick should be paid like a "Starting" QB, which will put him in that category based on the salary. 

Imagine guys like Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers, Brock Osweiler (was a free agent). Does anyone honestly think that if any one of these guys were on the market that teams that needed QB's such as the Browns, Rams, Jets, Broncos, Texans etc would have just left these guys in free agency? Of course not. I use these guys above because they're not considered "elite" and some people here either think their overrated (Manning, Dalton, Stafford, Flacco), a stats padder (Rivers, Cutler) or just a game manager (Smith, Osweiler). 

At the end of the day these guys would have found a team, just like Osweiler did, though I also dont believe that he was worth the contract. Guys like RG3 with all of his issues found a team in the Browns and Cleveland was willing to take a chance on RG3 and his upside than Fitzpatrick and his current "record breaking" season, and I would truly make the guess that it was because of the price tag. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is not the talent of most of these guys (I dont know what Osweiler is yet), all of these QB's have playoff history/appearances etc. Also, Ryan Fitzpatrick was a free agent for the entirety of free agency, so alot of these guys who were signed their respective teams (RG3, Osweiler, Sanchez etc.) were all considered and eventually taken over Ryan Fitzpatrick either through free agency or via trade (Sanchez). 

Sure, someone saying that Ryan Fitzpatrick was passed by all 31 teams is a bit extra, but the fact is that many of these teams are more comfortable with their current starter over considering Fitzpatrick an "upgrade", and that taking into account the mentioned QB's above who many consider to either have some sort of flaw in their game, whether its being overrated, overpaid, just dont like them....etc. 

Furthermore, teams who didnt have that current QB on their team to even consider decided to not turn to Fitzpatrick and either decided to trade (Denver) or find a solution in the draft (Eagles, Rams). To an extent we can even put the Jets in that same category given that the Jets (based on their actions) have shown that they're more than willing to move forward with Geno Smith and attempt to find a solution in the draft by drafting Hackenberg.....rather than paying Ryan Fitzpatrick as a "Starting QB" if you will. 

It may not be as extreme as being a "rocket scientist".....but it shouldnt be considered equally as extreme as considering the people who have made such a statement..."Stupid". Not saying you did, but I know some would assume given their optimism on Fitz. 

Fitz is worth signing to a team, even the Jets.....his asking price however is utterly ridiculous, and THAT'S what all 31 teams "IMO" passed on. Perfect example, If the Jets currently had Fitzpatrick as the starting QB for the amount of money they had him signed to last year, and a guy like Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco or even Andy Dalton available for the amount of money that Fitz is asking for, I could easily see the Jets releasing Fitzpatrick in order to sign one of those guys. I cant see the Bengals, Ravens or Chargers releasing any of their guys in order to make space for Fitzpatrick. We can even throw Alex Smith and the Chiefs into that mix. So in essence, all 32 teams (including the Jets) are passing on Fitz and his ridiculous price tag. 

And that's not rocket science, of course! 

See, I agree with almost all of this. I think his asking price is ridiculous, because of the market which he seems to be ignoring. In a year where there were 8-10 legitimate starting jobs open where a starting QB could make the team a possible playoff contender, his asking price would likely be achievable. But the market is what it is, so I completely agree.

Where this sh!t gets idiotic is when people make unequivocal claims that Geno IS better, or 31 teams don't even want him on their team, its stupid.

And to be fair, there are rocket scientists on both sides of this stupid equation, but by far the stupidity is much further on the Geno camp side. Not because its not possible, but the measures in which they try to make their arguments. I have no problem whatsoever with someone wanting to see Geno get a shot, and I have no problem whatsoever wiht the mentality that Fitz does not make this a super bowl team so why bother, none. But when people make idiotic claims, and vomit them all over the board, its fkng annoying as all hell.

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

See, I agree with almost all of this. I think his asking price is ridiculous, because of the market which he seems to be ignoring. In a year where there were 8-10 legitimate starting jobs open where a starting QB could make the team a possible playoff contender, his asking price would likely be achievable. But the market is what it is, so I completely agree.

Where this sh!t gets idiotic is when people make unequivocal claims that Geno IS better, or 31 teams don't even want him on their team, its stupid.

And to be fair, there are rocket scientists on both sides of this stupid equation, but by far the stupidity is much further on the Geno camp side. Not because its not possible, but the measures in which they try to make their arguments. I have no problem whatsoever with someone wanting to see Geno get a shot, and I have no problem whatsoever wiht the mentality that Fitz does not make this a super bowl team so why bother, none. But when people make idiotic claims, and vomit them all over the board, its fkng annoying as all hell.

Well put. Though when dealing with forums...thats the nature of it. Nothing but opinions. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well put. Though when dealing with forums...thats the nature of it. Nothing but opinions. 

100% right, and I respect differing opinions, and I think that is part of the enjoyment of message boards. But there are people who go well beyond opinions, or treat their opinions as facts, or go to ridiculous measures to either credit their opinion, or discredit others opinions. But your dead on, its the nature of message boards, so you have to take the good with the bad.

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm quite sure many teams would love to have Fitz as their #2, but there's no way he's going to take backup QB money. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

You now qualify to be an advanced statistician. Congratulations. :huh:

The Super Bowl Champs may have offered Fitzpatrick $7M for one year, opt to ride with Mark Sanchez instead. 

The Jets 3 year, $24M deal is basically two years of indentured servitude, they should capitulate to Ryan Fitzpatrick's demands. 

Rocket science!

3 minutes ago, slats said:

The Super Bowl Champs may have offered Fitzpatrick $7M for one year, opt to ride with Mark Sanchez instead. 

The Jets 3 year, $24M deal is basically two years of indentured servitude, they should capitulate to Ryan Fitzpatrick's demands. 

Rocket science!

Not true. At least from media reports back then. They didn't necessarily prefer Sanchez. They had traded for Mark and after that reportedly offered Fitz a 1 year 7 mil deal. Which he didn't want. 

43 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I'm quite sure many teams would love to have Fitz as their #2, but there's no way he's going to take backup QB money. 

Fitz wants to play. He's not taking a backup job even if it's for more money unless there are no starting jobs available. That's why you know he will eventually sign with the Jets.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Not true. At least from media reports back then. They didn't necessarily prefer Sanchez. They had traded for Mark and after that reportedly offered Fitz a 1 year 7 mil deal. Which he didn't want. 

If the rumor that Denver offered Fitzpatrick $7M is true, it's also true that they don't value Fitzpatrick $7,000,001 more than Mark Sanchez. 

OTOH, offering Fitzpatrick $15M in guarantees is an insult. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Sweet formula. I just applied it elsewhere and I can't seem to figure out why Dollar General doesn't sell Le Creuset. 

Just now, slats said:

If the rumor that Denver offered Fitzpatrick $7M is true, it's also true that they don't value Fitzpatrick $7,000,001 more than Mark Sanchez. 

OTOH, offering Fitzpatrick $15M in guarantees is an insult. 

Look that was 4 months ago. And I believe the idea in Fitz's camp was he wanted to be on the Jets. So he turned it down. Elway has been firm on paying Qbs this offeseason. He let Osweiller go and was only willing to pay the same 7 mil amount to Kap. But you're probably right. If a starting job does open for 2016 he would have to take a lot less money. He might get attainable incentives. But only a one year deal. But if he played well he'd be in a position to get a better contract in 2017 and not a backup deal. He just got out of a low backup deal. I don't think he wants to be tied into another one.

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look that was 4 months ago. And I believe the idea in Fitz's camp was he wanted to be on the Jets. So he turned it down. Elway has been firm on paying Qbs this offeseason. He let Osweiller go and was only willing to pay the same 7 mil amount to Kap. But you're probably right. If a starting job does open for 2016 he would have to take a lot less money. He might get attainable incentives. But only a one year deal. But if he played well he'd be in a position to get a better contract in 2017 and not a backup deal. He just got out of a low backup deal. I don't think he wants to be tied into another one.

Gee, I don't know. What does rocket science say about QB openings next year? And if there are specific openings rocket science can see, and if Ryan Fitzpatrick is a legitimate starting QB as rocket science seems to be suggesting, why wouldn't one of those teams have tried to snatch him up in this brief window in free agency in which he's been available? 

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Gee, I don't know. What does rocket science say about QB openings next year? And if there are specific openings rocket science can see, and if Ryan Fitzpatrick is a legitimate starting QB as rocket science seems to be suggesting, why wouldn't one of those teams have tried to snatch him up in this brief window in free agency in which he's been available? 

Rocket Science says there are no job openings this year. He even went over every team in the NFL. It could be a different market next off season. Contracts will run out, guys will have bad years, teams will make changes. Fitz is not better than most of those guys but he's a legit starting Qb and proved he can competently run an offense. Esp ours. And he's a better fit with the Jets than some of those other guys. Maybe a guy like Cutler would not be as successful here as he would with another team. I mean who worked better with Marshall, Cutler or Fitz.  It's not just about pure athletic talent.  It would be stupid not to sign him over a few million bucks. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Rocket science!

There is no reason for the Jets to capitulate to his demands, none, and I would argue they should be reducing their offer daily. But that was not the point of this thread at all. The point was for all the rocket scientist who like to constantly vomit out 31 teams passed on him, are well, rocket scientists.......

I think he has enough leverage to get a deal. He doesn't have to sign with anyone if he doesn't want to. He can wait for a deal he likes. And for a job to open up. In other words he doesn't have to sign a bad deal. Maybe not worth it since he's coming off of a broken thumb and the previous year a broken leg. If Mac doesn't sign him and things so south in a hurry I could see Woody begging him to come back rather than take the kind of abuse he got two years ago. And that would raise the price. So if they are smart he's the BAP at that position and they can get him fairly cheap. And if they think he will regress then just give him a one year contract which he would agree to. Money amount can be negotiated. 

29 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

There is no reason for the Jets to capitulate to his demands, none, and I would argue they should be reducing their offer daily. But that was not the point of this thread at all. The point was for all the rocket scientist who like to constantly vomit out 31 teams passed on him, are well, rocket scientists.......

If Fitzpatrick is a legitimate starting QB, the Broncos, Browns, 49ers, Rams, and Cowboys all should've expressed serious interest. The Broncos, obviously, being the big standout, having just won a Super Bowl with a shell-of-himself, game managing Peyton Manning. Fitzpatrick -if starting caliber- fit that situation like a glove. 

Romo has probably already broken his collarbone, and he's 36 years old, himself. Spending a healthy sum on Fitzpatrick with added incentives if/when he starts games would've been a wise investment - if Fitzpatrick is starting caliber. 

You want to argue that the Browns or Rams have no use for him, but they have the same exact use for him on those teams as the Jets presumably do - add a steady hand to hold the fort at QB then glide into the mentor role. 

The 49ers are stuck with Kaepernick, but don't like him, and are ready to roll with Gabbert. Again, if Fitzpatrick is a starting caliber QB, he should absolutely have drawn interest there. 

Because starting caliber QBs get signed in this league, they don't die on the free agency vine in the summer. I mean, can you come up with another starting caliber QB who was still a free agent in July in any season? That's gotta be a super short list. 

Instead, Fitzpatrick got a cursory glance from the Broncos, and absolutely nothing else. There's a reason for that, and it's not that all the jobs were filled. 

The Patriots are an NFL team are they not? They clearly feel their current QB situation is better than Fitz, do they not? 30 other teams agree. Fitz's only option is with us is it not? We are one team out of 32, are we not? So suffice it to say 31 other teams prefer their current situation over Fitzpatrick as their QB. Rocket science....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

The Patriots are an NFL team are they not? They clearly feel their current QB situation is better than Fitz, do they not? 30 other teams agree. Fitz's only option is with us is it not? We are one team out of 32, are we not? So suffice it to say 31 other teams prefer their current situation over Fitzpatrick as their QB. Rocket science....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are so fkng smart

22 minutes ago, slats said:

If Fitzpatrick is a legitimate starting QB, the Broncos, Browns, 49ers, Rams, and Cowboys all should've expressed serious interest. The Broncos, obviously, being the big standout, having just won a Super Bowl with a shell-of-himself, game managing Peyton Manning. Fitzpatrick -if starting caliber- fit that situation like a glove. 

Romo has probably already broken his collarbone, and he's 36 years old, himself. Spending a healthy sum on Fitzpatrick with added incentives if/when he starts games would've been a wise investment - if Fitzpatrick is starting caliber. 

You want to argue that the Browns or Rams have no use for him, but they have the same exact use for him on those teams as the Jets presumably do - add a steady hand to hold the fort at QB then glide into the mentor role. 

The 49ers are stuck with Kaepernick, but don't like him, and are ready to roll with Gabbert. Again, if Fitzpatrick is a starting caliber QB, he should absolutely have drawn interest there. 

Because starting caliber QBs get signed in this league, they don't die on the free agency vine in the summer. I mean, can you come up with another starting caliber QB who was still a free agent in July in any season? That's gotta be a super short list. 

Instead, Fitzpatrick got a cursory glance from the Broncos, and absolutely nothing else. There's a reason for that, and it's not that all the jobs were filled. 

Holy fkng hell, I need some peyote 

28 minutes ago, slats said:

Why would the Cowboys sign Fitz (who wants to be starter) to be Romo's backup. If Romo gets injured they might have interest. The Rams decided to draft Goff overall no. 1 so that's obviously their team strategy at Qb. The also have Foles under contract and at a lot of money. If they cut him they have to pay him. The Browns decided on RG3 after we passed on him because our FO wanted Fitz. I don't know if the Browns contacted Fitz. At that time I think most of the league assumed he would re-sign here  SF we've been over before. They have Kap under contract and I doubt want to pay for two starting Qbs. Plus they like Gabbert who looks like he could win that job. Not every team is going to be interested in one player. Some teams might not think he fits into their scheme. 

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Hey, Einstein popped in

Fitz is here?  That dude is so smart.  His Harvard education equates to a QB who can tear apart defenses with his superior intellect even in spite of his puny arm.

Archived