Jump to content

Rocket Scientists


BowlesMovement
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Perfect example of poor analysis.  Must be those "advanced stats" again....

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a starting QB who completed a successful season in a poor way, and is asking for starting QB money for multiple years.

31 of 32 teams, as far as we know, said no to Fitzpatrick as a starting QB asking for starting QB money.

We have no idea how many teams would be happy to sign Fitz at backup QB money.  My guess would be a goodly number, given he's one of the best #2-level QB's in the NFL today.  

The issue is money and future.  Fitz wants starter money, over multiple years, and at his age and resume, thats a very tough sell.  If he was willing to accept backup money, I have no doubt he'd have been signed already in an assortment of possible locations.

But see, WE still seem to want him at sorta-starter money.  Hence why he is still available and hasn't reduced his price.  Because WE appear willing to give him 12/6/6, and why would he accept something like 2/2 to be a backup somewhere else when he could take 12/6/6/ and be handed the starters job here?

 

I was being facetious, but my point was that the NFL is desert-thirsty for capable QBs, but Ryan Fitzpatrick is on the street in July with one offer on the table. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Nobody wants him as a backup, 31 teams have passed on him...... #science

 

The Jets signed Fitz as their backup for what a few million?  It turned out to be Mac's best move thus far.  I knew immediately Fitz would be the starter eventually but was shocked it happened so quickly.  Thought maybe by game 5 or 6 they would have made the switch.  Fitz is a darn good option as a back up for a contending team. As a starter, you have to be pretty desperate like the Jets, which they are. As Bowles pointed out, Fitz's options are just not fruitful. The vast majority of teams are locked into their starting QB. Even starting Sanchez over Fitz doesn't require a PHD. Mark is younger, more athletic and has grown. He has more upside.  Of course NY was not an option for him.  Bottom line is the Jets are Fitz's only starting QB option. The contract issue with Fitz is year 2 and 3. He doesn't want to lock into a 6 million per year contract for those 2 years. What if Fitz plays lights out this year, Jets make the playoffs and Petty or Hack aren't deemed ready in 2017.  Fitz then again is anointed the starter at 6 million. No way Jose. Mac has to adjust this contract accordingly if Fitz starts in year 2-3 of it. Rocket science. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On July 9, 2016 at 9:07 AM, slats said:

If Fitzpatrick is a legitimate starting QB, the Broncos, Browns, 49ers, Rams, and Cowboys all should've expressed serious interest. The Broncos, obviously, being the big standout, having just won a Super Bowl with a shell-of-himself, game managing Peyton Manning. Fitzpatrick -if starting caliber- fit that situation like a glove. 

Romo has probably already broken his collarbone, and he's 36 years old, himself. Spending a healthy sum on Fitzpatrick with added incentives if/when he starts games would've been a wise investment - if Fitzpatrick is starting caliber. 

You want to argue that the Browns or Rams have no use for him, but they have the same exact use for him on those teams as the Jets presumably do - add a steady hand to hold the fort at QB then glide into the mentor role. 

The 49ers are stuck with Kaepernick, but don't like him, and are ready to roll with Gabbert. Again, if Fitzpatrick is a starting caliber QB, he should absolutely have drawn interest there. 

Because starting caliber QBs get signed in this league, they don't die on the free agency vine in the summer. I mean, can you come up with another starting caliber QB who was still a free agent in July in any season? That's gotta be a super short list. 

Instead, Fitzpatrick got a cursory glance from the Broncos, and absolutely nothing else. There's a reason for that, and it's not that all the jobs were filled. 

This post is totally inaccurate. None of those teams you mentioned except the Broncos, were viable options.  Rams got their future QB and have 2 good back up options to start until Goff is ready next year. No need for Fitz there. 49ers have Kap and Gabbert who has matured and progressed. Either is a better option than Fitz.  The Cowboys are enamored with Romo despite his injury woes. This one makes zero sense to even mention it. The Browns are an absolute mess and needed a spark. RG III was a much better move over Fitz for them. He could return to form.  He is younger, athletic, was ROY, and gives zest to a defunct franchise. No brainier. In fact, had Fitz not played like Cinderella, it would not have surprised me if Mac didn't sign RG.  The Broncos really were the only other team as potential suitors. Personally, I would take Sanchez over Fitz at this point in their respective careers. Smart call by Elway. Sanchez is younger, has matured, is more athletic and progressed.  It's Jets or the couch for Fitz. He has no other options. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:15 AM, BowlesMovement said:

I have seen many of the boards Rocket Scientists making claims about how all 31 teams have said no to Fitzpatrick, except the Jets. 

So, while they are busy helping build tools to get our great species to Mars and beyond, I figured I would dig a bit deeper into this, so they can continue their far more important work.

Lets look at all 31 teams, and their QB situation:

AFC East

Patriots - Brady

Jets

Bills - Taylor, young QB who showed a lot of promise, no way you can think about replacing him unless a bonafide top tier QB becomes available

Dolphins - Tannehill, I don't think he is very good, but they are tied to him based on the contract they gave him, and they need to see if he can become anything. Only way they replace him is with a bonafide top tier QB

AFC West

Broncos - Sanchez and an unproven, definitely a possibility

Chiefs - Alex Smith, no reason to go after Fitzpatrick, if a stud QB became available, would make sense, but Smith is in the same class of QB as Fitzpatrick, but probably better.

Chargers - Rivers, despite me thinking he is overrated, he is still better than Fitzpatrick, and still a middle of the pack starter in this league, no reason to go after a QB short of a true star

Raiders - Solid young up and coming QB in Carr, can't even thin about it

AFC North

Bengals - Dalton, basically a slightly better Fitzpatrick, same class of QB as Fitzpatrick, younger and a bit better

Steelers - Rapist

Ravens - Flacco

Browns - Nothing really, could have been a possibility, but Fitzpatrick makes no sense for them at all. They have nothing around him, and are in a rebuild mode with a new HC, he would be pointless for them.

AFC South

Texans - Signed Osweiller to a big deal, I think it was a mistake, but time will tell

Colts - Mr. Overrated, Andrew Luck

Jaguars - Bortles, not sure how good he is, but young and promising

Titans - Just drafted Mariota

NFC East

Redskins - got a good season out of Cousins and tagged him

Giants - Eli Manning

Cowboys - Romo, Fitzpatrick would be a great backup option for them, but not a starter option for them

Eagles - similar to Browns, and they tagged Bradford, who is worse than Fitzpatrick

NFC West

Cardinals - Palmer

Seahawks - Wilson

49ers - Similar to Browns, and still have Kap with a big $$ contract

Rams - Could have been a fit, but were committed to going out and getting Goff, hard to fault any team for making a big push for a potential franchise QB

NFC North

Packers - The guy Geno would have been had he sat behind Favre for a few years

Bears - Cutler, I think he sucks, and Fitzpatrick is a better overall starting QB, but with the contract he has, Fitzpatrick is not that good to consider the move

Lions - Stafford, I don't think he is very good, but Fitzpatrick makes no sense over him

Vikings - Young up and coming QB in Bridgewater

NFC South

Panthers - Dabber

Falcons - Another hugely overrated QB, but still probaly better than Fitzpatrick in Matty "melted ice"

Saints - Brees

Bucs - Winston just drafted

 

So, while I am not a rocket scientist, the realistic options for a starting QB of the caliber of Fitzpatrick was basically the Jets, and the Broncos. Ironically, the two teams who showed interest in him, but also the two teams who can do the same non rocket science type analysis I just did above, and see that there is no reason to pay him what he is looking for.

It happens to be a very rare time in the NFL where the majority of teams are committed to a QB for better or for worse. 

So, when you have a spare second trying to find an alternate planet for our species, because plastic is destroying the Earth, please keep this in mind when you throw around "All 31 teams passed on Fitz".

Kind thanks in advance

 

 

 

 

 

 

now that we have established that there is an abundance of rocket scientists on this message board, do you think there are any brain surgeons as well?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I would love to have Halle Berry star in this amateur porn flick I'm making, but we can't seem to agree to terms.

Been there done that..;)

Monster's Ball: "There was no real direction in the screenplay, it just had to be animalistic," actress Halle Berry said of the 2001 film's lengthy sex scene with Billy Bob Thornton. "We just went for it. We both agreed to be uninhibited with our bodies." Many have felt that the sex went beyond the normal call of duty for actors. Berry performance won her the Academy Award for best actress that year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

The Jets signed Fitz as their backup for what a few million?  It turned out to be Mac's best move thus far.  

Trading for Marshall was easily Macc's best move.  It allowed us to start Ryan Fitzpatrick, yet still somehow compete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mike135 said:

Trading for Marshall was easily Macc's best move.  It allowed us to start Ryan Fitzpatrick, yet still somehow compete.

Apples and oranges take your pick. Fitz cost what? 2-3 million and had best QB year since Vinny and cost us a 5th rounder. Marshall makes 9 mill a year and cost a 5th. Fitz was a better value in retrospect. How you like them apples?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

Apples and oranges take your pick. Fitz cost what? 2-3 million and had best QB year since Vinny and cost us a 5th rounder. Marshall makes 9 mill a year and cost a 5th. Fitz was a better value in retrospect. How you like them apples?

Guess that makes sense until you realize Geno could have had even better numbers for cheaper.  And that signing Fitz for cheap and giving him this great situation has left us where we find ourselves now...  a Fitz signature away from ruining any hope of competing in 2016 and really hurting this team for years to come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Apples and oranges take your pick. Fitz cost what? 2-3 million and had best QB year since Vinny and cost us a 5th rounder. Marshall makes 9 mill a year and cost a 5th. Fitz was a better value in retrospect. How you like them apples?

Lol yes Marshall is still a much better value.. Especially factoring in we got him for more than 1 yr 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Guess that makes sense until you realize Geno could have had even better numbers for cheaper.  And that signing Fitz for cheap and giving him this great situation has left us where we find ourselves now...  a Fitz signature away from ruining any hope of competing in 2016 and really hurting this team for years to come.

You do realize you're delving in hypothetical mish mash. Geno is a goner after this year. Fitz is a bridge to Petty or Hack when ready. How is signing him hurting this team for years to come? Please tell me you have substantiated facts to defend this empty statement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol yes Marshall is still a much better value.. Especially factoring in we got him for more than 1 yr 😉

Well hard to argue with a guy who could emotionally implode any given moment but is still an elite WR. Shocking he was available for a measly 5th rounder. He must really have tested The Bears patience like POS Holmes did in NY. Different but equally troublesome. Good to see Marshall keeping his marbles in place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Powpow said:

You do realize you're delving in hypothetical mish mash. Geno is a goner after this year. Fitz is a bridge to Petty or Hack when ready. How is signing him hurting this team for years to come? Please tell me you have substantiated facts to defend this empty statement.

How does it hurt?  24mil wasted.  Cap space doesn't grow on trees.

Signing Fitz may actually be good for Geno though.  Depends how Bowles handles it.  Which does worry me a bit because he handled it horribly last year.

But...  Fitz starting probably leads us to a 1-3 or 1-4 start.  At that point you'd hope Bowles realizes he and Macc were idiots for paying Fitz's insane ransom and cuts his losses.  Geno then comes in and saves the season.  

The question is, will Bowles realize this soon enough to allow for a playoff run.  That I'm not sure of.  Bowles' decision making last season with what seems like Macc's willingness to pay Fitz now doesn't give me much confidence in those two.

Fitz = (steaming) :pooh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Well hard to argue with a guy who could emotionally implode any given moment but is still an elite WR. Shocking he was available for a measly 5th rounder. He must really have tested The Bears patience like POS Holmes did in NY. Different but equally troublesome. Good to see Marshall keeping his marbles in place. 

I could see if things go south with Geno there being big problems in that locker room. One guy who has worked with volatile emotional receivers like Marshall is Fitz. We have (or had) a good situation in that locker room. So why would you want to kill it if the players get along and they respect the Qb and the leader on the field. It makes no sense esp for a guy like Geno. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So a rocket scientist would conclude that because not one single NFL team sees me as a starting QB who could start for them, I'm not a NFL QB only because there isn't an opening? Not because I can't play.  

We're running low on he reasons no one has signed Fitz theories. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

How does it hurt?  24mil wasted.  Cap space doesn't grow on trees.

Signing Fitz may actually be good for Geno though.  Depends how Bowles handles it.  Which does worry me a bit because he handled it horribly last year.

But...  Fitz starting probably leads us to a 1-3 or 1-4 start.  At that point you'd hope Bowles realizes he and Macc were idiots for paying Fitz's insane ransom and cuts his losses.  Geno then comes in a saves the season.  

The question is, will Bowles realize this soon enough to allow for a playoff run.  That I'm not sure of.  Bowles' decision making last season with what seems like Macc's willingness to pay Fitz now doesn't give me much confidence in those two.

Fitz = (steaming) :pooh:

Hypothetical mish mash. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So a rocket scientist would conclude that because not one single NFL team sees me as a starting QB who could start for them, I'm not a NFL QB only because there isn't an opening? Not because I can't play.  

We're running low on he reasons no one has signed Fitz theories. 

 

There is one reason but you refuse to acknowledge it. There are no starting jobs period. All of those guys are on contracts and expensive ones. At the beginning of this thread the OP went over every team and starting Qb. But the most important team and fit is the Jets. He's our returning starter and the Qb the players, coaches and even the FO wants back. Geno is a fall back, the second choice, a 99 cents store Qb. If you're so worried about cap space you choose him. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Look franchise Qbs like Big Ben got injured last year. They even had to go to Michael Vick. And then other guys. Their original backup was out for the year. So don't tell me there is going to be no demand. 

Then why no demand for Fitzpatrick?  Could be he's demanding starter money when on 31 other NFL teams he's only a backup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Hypothetical mish mash. 

 

Geno working...

A leader in the making.

 

Edit:  He seems to be bulking up.  Not that he was ever fragile (he's taken some big shots and bounced right up), but did seem a bit lanky at times.  Good to see the dedication.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There is one reason but you refuse to acknowledge it. There are no starting jobs period. All of those guys are on contracts and expensive ones. At the beginning of this thread the OP went over every team and starting Qb. But the most important team and fit is the Jets. He's our returning starter and the Qb the players, coaches and even the FO wants back. Geno is a fall back, the second choice, a 99 cents store Qb. If you're so worried about cap space you choose him. 

Doesn't have anything to do with what I half jokingly said.  But you had to defend your guy. 

Jokingly towards the original statement.  There were QB openings. No one thought Fitz was an option.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

They're confident enough not to have blinked in the Ryan Fitzpatrick negotiations for this long. Remember, Smith was going to be the starter last year before IK Enemkpali's fist intervened. And if it hasn't been made clear before, it ought to be clear now that the Jets' scheme and personnel is far better now than it was when Smith was scuffling along as the starter in 2013 and '14. And those factors had a lot to do with Fitzpatrick's success last year. Does that mean Smith absolutely will thrive if he winds up being the guy? Of course not. But the Jets seem to think he can be better, given what's around him. And there will be no way to know if they're right unless and until he's under center during the regular season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

 

They're confident enough not to have blinked in the Ryan Fitzpatrick negotiations for this long. Remember, Smith was going to be the starter last year before IK Enemkpali's fist intervened. And if it hasn't been made clear before, it ought to be clear now that the Jets' scheme and personnel is far better now than it was when Smith was scuffling along as the starter in 2013 and '14. And those factors had a lot to do with Fitzpatrick's success last year. Does that mean Smith absolutely will thrive if he winds up being the guy? Of course not. But the Jets seem to think he can be better, given what's around him. And there will be no way to know if they're right unless and until he's under center during the regular season.

The Jets have just enough confidence in Geno to allow him under center. During the exhibition season (so Fitz doesn't get hurt). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Denver, Rams, SF all haven't named a starting QB.  You'll give a silly reason and will post 20 times about that not being true or that they drafted someone etc

Look we've over this before and you're wrong again so why bother. And there are 32 teams in the NFL and not all of them are going to want one specific player. Nobody ever said he's a franchise Qb. Not every team likes every Qb. So keep using this argument since you have no good reasoning at all. You can put the facts on ignore but that doesn't change the argument. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look we've over this before and you're wrong again so why bother. And there are 32 teams in the NFL and not all of them are going to want one specific player. Nobody ever said he's a franchise Qb. Not every team likes every Qb. So keep using this argument since you have no good reasoning at all. You can put the facts on ignore but that doesn't change the argument. 

The fact that Denver signed Sanchez over Fitzpatrick says volumes about him. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The fact that Denver signed Sanchez over Fitzpatrick says volumes about him. 

It's pretty much verified that Denver wanted to offer Fitz a 1 year for 7 contract. After they signed Sanchez. Which he turned down. So why do you refuse to acknowledge that. Take the blinders off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...