Multi Year Deal For Wilkerson (merged)

Maxman

Great job by the Jets, as they were able to get a deal done with one of their better players. I wonder if more bad news is not coming down the pipe with Sheldon Richardson.( did 360 degree turn around with Wilkerson).

Again in the end have to hand it to the Jets closing the deal with Muhammad Wilkerson.( very good day to be a jet fan).

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

As far as Richardson goes, he's obviously not going anywhere this year, and I think how Williams looks this season could end up playing a big role in what the Jets are thinking next offseason.  If they end up thinking he's anywhere close to the level of Richardson, you have to imagine the Jets will at least be willing to listen to trade offers, and with him still being on his rookie deal, there's a good chance they'd get better offers than anything they did for Mo this offseason.

+1 ;)

Just now, Raideraholic said:

Great job by the Jets, as they were able to get a deal done with one of their better players. I wonder if more bad news is not coming down the pipe with Sheldon Richardson.( did 360 degree turn around with Wilkerson).

Whenever you predict things, the opposite happens. In fact I'm giving full credit for this signing getting done to you lecturing us on why it wouldn't happen. So by all means, please do speculate some more.

43 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

NOT surprised by this signing at all. I called it back in May that his Agents would wake-up and WORK with the Jets to make it happen. Seems like they did. 

Oh yeah, and this is WHY I constantly disparage @Raideraholic when he addresses or counters my take. 

THIS is WHY you DO NOT LISTEN TO IDIOTS:

Again you should be happy as it was a great move by the Jets( finally took care one of their best players.       Let's see if the Jets know something about Sheldon Richardson that we aren't privy to.  Could explain why the Jets reverse their position with Muhammad Wilkerson.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Whenever you predict things, the opposite happens. In fact I'm giving full credit for this signing getting done to you lecturing us on why it wouldn't happen. So by all means, please do speculate some more.

@Raideraholic, please predict Fitz will be re-signed.

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Gonna go ahead and delete that actually. I'm not getting in a debate about this bullsh*t.

it IS some Bull$hit! :) 

Rather mature on your part. Now, let us REJOICE as we have the elder of our 3 Franchise DLs locked up for the next 3-5 years!

You can be Cousin Larry!

giphy.gif

This is why you have MORE Integrity than Bumble the Abominable Snowman  

Come on Gas, I will always give credit when it is deserved.

If the Jets didn't lock up Mo, they would have lost him next year for absolutely nothing.

Again, hats off to Mac.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So I'm not abreast of how this compares to other deals throughout the league because I don't follow salaries because I enjoy having sex with women. How does this stack up to the other money being thrown around the league this year?

you have 26,000 posts on a football message board.......you sure about that sex with women thing?

4 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Again in the end have to hand it to the Jets closing the deal with Muhammad Wilkerson.( very good day to be a jet fan).

If by 360 you mean 180, and by that you mean that he wasn't signed then he was then you're right. 

I don't think the Jets ever said they didn't want to sign him. They wanted a reasonable deal. They wait till the last minute and I guess Wilk wanted to play here, and he didn't want to play on the franchise tag. Mac is setting some serious precedence with Wilk and Fitz. Doubt we have a lot of hold out around here once they learn that he's not going to panic.

OK, now I know many times when deals are announced the details (like cap hit) can take time to come out because deals are announced before contracts are signed.  However Wilk already signed this deal, so all the numbers have to be out there right?  

What are all the "insiders" doing?  Report/tweet the darn numbers already.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

OK, now I know many times when deals are announced the details (like cap hit) can take time to come out because deals are announced before contracts are signed.  However Wilk already signed this deal, so all the numbers have to be out there right?  

They don't have to make the numbers public, and there are no leaks in Florham anymore. I'm sure MAc feels very badly for putting you through this if it helps.  

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

They don't have to make the numbers public, and there are no leaks in Florham anymore. I'm sure MAc feels very badly for putting you through this if it helps.  

Helps a bit, but he's still a dick.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets, Muhammad Wilkerson reach 5-year deal prior to deadline

The New York Jets signed veteran defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson to a new five-year contract prior to Friday's deadline, the team announced.

The deadline to sign long-term deals was 4 p.m. ET Friday. The Jets announced the signing on Twitter at 4:33 p.m.

Wilkerson, 26, received the Jets' non-exclusive franchise tag (worth $15,701,000) on March 1. He was allowed to negotiate with other teams but any club that signed him would have had to surrender two first-round picks to the Jets.

He made his first Pro Bowl last season after leading the Jets with 12 sacks, a career high. He broke his right leg (fibula) in the final game, requiring surgery a few days later -- a six-month rehab, according to team officials.

After being examined by Charlotte-based orthopedist Robert Anderson in mid-February, Wilkerson tweeted an update, saying he was ahead of schedule in his rehab.

The subplot to his successful career -- 36 sacks in five seasons -- has been an ongoing contract drama. Unhappy without a long-term deal, Wilkerson skipped the Jets' voluntary workouts last offseason. He reported to training camp, but informed the organization that he didn't want to negotiate once the regular season started.

Even with an artificial deadline, the two sides didn't come close to an agreement. Wilkerson played for $7 million, the amount of his predetermined, fifth-year option.

Wilkerson, a first-round pick in 2011, has been a starter since Day 1. Technically, he's a 3-4 defensive end, but he can play any position on the defensive line, adding to his value.

In 16 games last season, he recorded 64 tackles and two forced fumbles. He grew up in Linden, New Jersey, about 20 minutes from MetLife Stadium.

Wilkerson has said he was undecided on if he'd report to training camp with the Jets. He told the New York Post last month that he felt unwanted by the team, and he skipped the team's offseason workouts and mandatory minicamp.

ESPN Jets reporter Dick-lick Cimini contributed to this report.

TheESPN Jets reporter Dick-lick Cimini contributed to this report.

This is  priceless.....

Btw my worries about what this means for Sheldon seem dumb on second thought.  

This only helps the overall situation.  Can still trade either Mo or Sheldon next year.  This just guarantees we'll get something back for Mo if he's traded instead of just leaving via free agency.  Contract basically pays same as franchise tags anyway.

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

This is the best we know right now

Jets 5-yr deal for Mo Wilkerson is for more than $85M, source said, with $54M in guarantees over 3 years. $37M fully guaranteed thru year 2

For Wilkerson, he gets $37 million in first 2 years, which is better than $34.5 million he'd get being tagged twice. After that? We'll see.

For the Jets, DL Mo Wilkerson's deal sets up a two-year deal with options, and lines up with the end of Sheldon Richardson's deal after '17.

Great deal for both Wilk and Jets.  Man I love Macc.  Once again, big money upfront allowing a lot of flexibility with the contract in the later years.

Yes!  This really helps keep our defense together.  I'm not worried about Richardson right now because of the 5th year option on him, so they can go the same route as Wilkerson.

I would love to hear the numbers on this to see what the cap hits are for each years.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Williams is obvious and was always true, but I think Richardson gets traded next draft. He's too...They don't need to resign him.

Agree. I think it was always going to be one or the other, particularly after drafting Williams. The way this dragged out for 2 offseasons - and the way they dangled trading Mo, by announcing what they wanted in return the past 2 pre-draft periods - it sure looked like it was going to be the other way around. 

The only bad way this would have played out would be if they kept him for 1 more year and then ended up with nothing (long term). Either lock him up or trade him. For the longest time it looked like he was going to do neither, which was insanity.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree. I think it was always going to be one or the other, particularly after drafting Williams. The way this dragged out for 2 offseasons - and the way they dangled trading Mo, by announcing what they wanted in return - it sure looked like it was going to be the other way around. 

The only bad way this would have played out would be if they kept him for 1 more year and then ended up with nothing (long term). Either lock him up or trade him. For the longest time it looked like he was going to do neither, which was insanity.

All that dragging out was just the mark of a good FO and a good relationship - both sides were just gauging the FA market in the end. It was pretty much a foregome comclusion, IMO anyway, when that weird Vernon rumor popped up during FA.

I look forward to this monster DL one more time and then turning Richardson into something for the offense.

The structure of this deal is awesome - basically 2-3 years then they can seek a trade or however they want to work it. Basically I kinda called the sh*t out of this, which makes up for Oghobaase.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree. I think it was always going to be one or the other, particularly after drafting Williams. The way this dragged out for 2 offseasons - and the way they dangled trading Mo, by announcing what they wanted in return - it sure looked like it was going to be the other way around. 

Exactly, and maybe next time they will know Mac is serious, the price is a 1st, take your low ball home :)

Archived