Sheldon's Future

prime21

Besides the fact that Richardson is probably better than Mo in the field, the safer choice of the two is paying Mo that big contract. Beside the character issue, this big contract that we gave Mo should be a steal over what Richardson would command in the near future. These contracts are just going to keep going up and up.

What do do we do with Sheldon? He is one mistake away from a lengthy ban and although he bleeds green, you know he's a little ticking time bomb. He would fetch us a #1 but when do u trade him? If we wait til the final year then we may be in the same boat we where in with Mo where teams may not want to trade for a huge contract guy. I wish there was a way to keep this line intact but I just don't think it's feasible with so many other areas of need.

If I'm Mac, I'd pray every night that Sheldon gets through the year without any incidents or injury, and that Williams emerges as the force we all think he will be. Then trade Sheldon after this year.

16 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

If I'm Mac, I'd pray every night that Sheldon gets through the year without any incidents or injury, and that Williams emerges as the force we all think he will be. Then trade Sheldon after this year.

We also need SR to lay off any comments about how much money he thinks he's worth and what kind of contract he'll be looking for!

Be a good soldier, Go "Beast Mode" on the field, keep your head down and your mouth shut and you should be able to get a good deal here or somewhere else.

Richardson is under "cheap" control for two more years.  You hope he has a big
year (10+ sacks) and keeps his nose clean.  At that point you approach his people
about an extension, if you can get it done sign him.  If not you put him on the
trade market before the 2017 draft and see what kind of package you can get

6 hours ago, Kevin L said:

I would say that probably is the plan because Richardson is going to want a ton of money, and while he may be worth it, it would wreck the salary cap. I could see the Jets getting a second round choice for him, but doubtful a first unless it was a low first round like 25-32.

Mike Westoff was in the Jets locker room during mini camp and when he saw Sheldon Richardson he thought to himself "I'm 68 years old and I've got as much muscle as you do"

It seems like Sheldon isn't somebody who works on his craft to be the best

Comments on Sheldon at the 1:50 Mark

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/geico-sportsnite-westhoff-talks-wilkersons-long-term-deal-with-jets/189898654

The Jets have 3 potential all pro DEs for their 34 defensive front. It was in our best interest to lock up a player who cause no trouble, plays hard and has earned his pay day  which is what the team did with Wilkerson .  At any given point, injury or stupidity can make anyone of these players a memory  to the Jets . Therefore, I think it is in the best interest of this franchise to move in a similar manner with all of these players when their contracts come up .

How one handles themselves under pressure says much about one's character. Wilkerson it can be said, handled  himself with class and dignity,

That is all

A little over a year ago these same posts were written only it was sign Richardson and trade Mo.  He wasn't as good as fans thought.   Funny how it's changed.

its already been reported they've told rich to be the good soldier and he'll get his deal.  Has a year to prove worthy. 

We technically can keep sheldon around for 3 more years without having to lock him up (4 more if we back-to-back franchise tag - tho i know there's some players you can't do that too).. so there's no rush at the moment, but I definitely like the idea of moving him a year or so from now for a pick/chess piece. It's great to have all this muscle up front, but at some point it doesn't translate to a huge difference on the field. It's not like our defense stats jump up 33% because Sheldon's out there next to Mo and Williams. Where as our rushing numbers could go up 25-30% by adding a Cook, or Fournette next year for example. 

This all sounds like the same scenario the Jets had with those two DEs they drafted in 2000.

So how did Shaun Ellis' & John Abraham's Jets career wind up being like?

Mo & Sheldon may well have the same result.  

49 minutes ago, Paradis said:

We technically can keep sheldon around for 3 more years without having to lock him up (4 more if we back-to-back franchise tag - tho i know there's some players you can't do that too).. so there's no rush at the moment, but I definitely like the idea of moving him a year or so from now for a pick/chess piece. It's great to have all this muscle up front, but at some point it doesn't translate to a huge difference on the field. It's not like our defense stats jump up 33% because Sheldon's out there next to Mo and Williams. Where as our rushing numbers could go up 25-30% by adding a Cook, or Fournette next year for example. 

Rotating the three of them will keep them fresh, and the competition amongst themselves for snaps and notoriety can only be a plus for the Jets D. Win win. 

We're not Gurley type dynamic at RB, but versatile with Forte and Bilal (my boy) with a hint of Ivory with Robinson. 

11 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Rotating the three of them will keep them fresh, and the competition amongst themselves for snaps and notoriety can only be a plus for the Jets D. Win win. 

We're not Gurley type dynamic at RB, but versatile with Forte and Bilal (my boy) with a hint of Ivory with Robinson. 

There's definitely positives, don\t get me wrong. Having all 3 to rotate is a huge for the 4th quarter... but at some point, it doesn't translate to a huge difference on the score sheet... adding a piece elswhere can have a bigger impact on the WIN column

EX

jets defense with mo willams and sheldon = 2nd in the league

Jets defense with Mo and williams = 5th in the league.

definitely a downgrade but compare it to this;

Jets offense with Forte and robinson = 14th in the league

Jets offense with Forte and Cook = 4th in league.

5 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

Mike Westoff was in the Jets locker room during mini camp and when he saw Sheldon Richardson he thought to himself "I'm 68 years old and I've got as much muscle as you do"

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/geico-sportsnite-westhoff-talks-wilkersons-long-term-deal-with-jets/189898654

That's cool.  Did Mike Westhoff win Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2014?

12 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

Yeah, but Westoff's muscles are all in his mouth.

22 hours ago, prime21 said:

Besides the fact that Richardson is probably better than Mo in the field, the safer choice of the two is paying Mo that big contract. Beside the character issue, this big contract that we gave Mo should be a steal over what Richardson would command in the near future. These contracts are just going to keep going up and up.

What do do we do with Sheldon? He is one mistake away from a lengthy ban and although he bleeds green, you know he's a little ticking time bomb. He would fetch us a #1 but when do u trade him? If we wait til the final year then we may be in the same boat we where in with Mo where teams may not want to trade for a huge contract guy. I wish there was a way to keep this line intact but I just don't think it's feasible with so many other areas of need.

"I wish there was a way to keep this line intact but I just don't think it's feasible with so many other areas of need."

There is. L.Williams will not need a big contract for a few years. If the young LBs (Lee, Jenkins, Mauldin) develop into starters, once the Jets move away from Harris, the only highly paid players in the front 7 are Sheldon and Wilk. Its very doable to keep both guys long term. Theres a lot of pieces that can be moved around, a lot of money that can be moved around, a lot of players that will not be part of this team two years from now.

For now, Sheldons future is with the Jets and we really don't need to think about it until AT LEAST next offseason.

5 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

?

Normally true, but not in this case. Suffices to say both have overly developed mouth muscles especially since Westy left the sidelines.

since he left the sidelines westy has a job where he is paid to talk, Sheldon is paid to play football and talks to much. 

Archived