How Mo's Deal Killed Fitz' Deal

j4jets

We don't know the complete details on Mo's deal yet but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out a few basic things. His 2016 cap charge is about $10 mil from what I hear. Rest of the 4 years average about $19 mil a year in cap charges. He saved us $5 mil space in 2016. 

2016 Cap:

We are currently at around $8 mil in space after Mo's deal. We are yet to sign Lee n a punter, which would add about $3 mil to the cap. It leaves us $5 mil, most of which will be needed for in-season pickups. 

2017 Cap:

Prior to Mo's deal, we were at around $20 mil in space. Mo is averaging $19 mil a yr in 2017-2020. We also need additional $11 mil for rookie signings, Lee's deal n in season pickups. That's about $31 mil additional for 2017 where we had about $20 mil space. Cap would go up of course but by how much? Your guess is as good as mine. Can we create cap by restructures/releases? Of course. But every release requires a new signing. Every restructure puts strain on future cap.

What About Fitz' Deal?

As I've established, we currently stand at no extra cap space for 2016 or 2017 beyond what is needed right now. A one year deal means we can structure the deal in a way we spread the $12mil he wants over 2016 and 2017. Lets say we release Harris n a couple other starters. First of all, We'll need their replacements. Second, those replacements will cost you $. Lastly, who plays QB in 2017? Hack won't be ready. Petty won't even make the 16 roster with Fitz. Geno would be a FA.

Lets assume we meet in between with Fitz n do a 3 year $30 mil deal.   How do we fit $20 mil of cap in 2016 n 2017 when we can't even fit $12 mil without releasing a few starters n restructures? Is Fitz that good that we can release numerous starters for? I've been saying it all along. It's either Fitz or Mo. Not both. 

Then there's the question of Fitz vs Geno, which requires a few TBs of cyber space to discuss as the picture below suggests. 

image.jpeg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Maybe Decker and Marshall will restructure.

Lol they'll restructure if we increase their pay. They're not restructuring so Fitz can make as much as both of them combined. 

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think you have a better chance of seeing Mike Francessa inducted into the 'ring of honor' than you do of seeing Fitz in a Jets uniform again.

That's awesome!  Now let's just hope you're right.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

We don't know the complete details on Mo's deal yet but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out a few basic things. His 2016 cap charge is about $10 mil from what I hear. Rest of the 4 years average about $19 mil a year in cap charges. He saved us $5 mil space in 2016. 

2016 Cap:

We are currently at around $8 mil in space after Mo's deal. We are yet to sign Lee n a punter, which would add about $3 mil to the cap. It leaves us $5 mil, most of which will be needed for in-season pickups. 

2017 Cap:

Prior to Mo's deal, we were at around $20 mil in space. Mo is averaging $19 mil a yr in 2017-2020. We also need additional $11 mil for rookie signings, Lee's deal n in season pickups. That's about $31 mil additional for 2017 where we had about $20 mil space. Cap would go up of course but by how much? Your guess is as good as mine. Can we create cap by restructures/releases? Of course. But every release requires a new signing. Every restructure puts strain on future cap.

What About Fitz' Deal?

As I've established, we currently stand at no extra cap space for 2016 or 2017 beyond what is needed right now. A one year deal means we can structure the deal in a way we spread the $12mil he wants over 2016 and 2017. Lets say we release Harris n a couple other starters. First of all, We'll need their replacements. Second, those replacements will cost you $. Lastly, who plays QB in 2017? Hack won't be ready. Petty won't even make the 16 roster with Fitz. Geno would be a FA.

Lets assume we meet in between with Fitz n do a 3 year $30 mil deal.   How do we fit $20 mil of cap in 2016 n 2017 when we can't even fit $12 mil without releasing a few starters n restructures? Is Fitz that good that we can release numerous starters for? I've been saying it all along. It's either Fitz or Mo. Not both. 

Then there's the question of Fitz vs Geno, which requires a few TBs of cyber space to discuss as the picture below suggests. 

image.jpeg

Your 'absolutes' are absolutely hilarious. ?

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think you have a better chance of seeing Mike Francessa inducted into the 'ring of honor' than you do of seeing Fitz in a Jets uniform again.

Bring pizza and Coca Cola for Mike at the ceremony.

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Mike, Villain, J4jets, Jet Nut, JoeWillie12 plus a few notable others...

Form a circle... play soggy bread.

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

ugh....I just urban dictionaried soggy bread... you are one twisted dude....

Not even looking into it.  Just like the two girls, one cup thing...  have never watched and I imagine better off not knowing.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Yes, like I said, it's possible. Just not feasible. 

Then the Mo deal really had nothing to do with it.  If it wasn't really feasible before, it didn't suddenly become LESS feasible by saving $5.7M in cap space. 

2017's cap isn't all that much of a factor either, because a lot can happen before then.  The offer to Fitz is intended to make him the starter in 2016 and probably no further, with the hopes that Hack/Petty will turn into something OR we'll draft a QB in round 1, so there's a decent chance he'd be off the roster before all that comes into play.

Like I wrote in another thread, if Mo's deal really killed Fitz's deal we'd hear by today - or we'd have heard over the weekend - how the Jets have rescinded their offer to Fitz.

If we hear nothing to the contrary very shortly, it means the deal is still on the table. At least until they reach the point in camp where they no longer guarantee him the starting job because he's missed too much time.

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/18/marshall-says-fitzpatrick-has-gone-silent-with-start-of-camp-looming/amp/#

Marshall says Fitzpatrick has gone silent with start of camp looming

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall said over the weekend that his last few text messages to unsigned quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick have gone unanswered, and Marshall called that “scary” because he and Fitzpatrick usually talk “all the time.”

Two weeks from training camp, the Jets-Fitzpatrick staredown is still unresolved. Marshall appeared on actor Michael Rapaport’s podcast and talked about both Fitzpatrick’s situation and the Jets quietly beating last week’s deadline to get defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson signed to a long-term extension.

“I try to give support to the player, to Fitz, to Big Mo, understanding what they’re going through because I’ve been through it,” Marshall said.

Marshall said he doesn’t know if there’s any update on Fitzpatrick’s situation.

“To be honest, me and Fitz talk every day, all the time, but I texted him the last two weeks three times and there’s [been] no response,” Marshall said. “The only thing that he can do to make this right is to say he was on vacation, [he] was out of the country. It’s not like him. It’s scaring me right now. It’s scaring me that my guy hasn’t texted me back.”

Though Marshall isn’t afraid of a little drama, he’s also not been known to sugarcoat his feelings on any situation. Rapaport’s podcast can be accessed here.

All has been quiet on both sides of the Jets-Fitzpatrick situation, in part because Jets coach Todd Bowles said he was done talking about and in part because Bowles said that right before the Jets began their summer vacation.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Lol like Mike mentioned, does your circle use a spoon or eat directly out of the cup?

Just now, j4jets said:

Lol like Mike mentioned, does your circle use a spoon or eat directly out of the cup?

I learned about soggy bread from one of these threads on here.

With you guys it will be soggy bread if your guy gets the gig or group vaginitis if Fitz ends up signing.

Whatever happens with Fitzpatrick, whether he comes back or doesn't, and as aggravating as the whole process has been, there's been one thing that has been amusing.

And that is how the Smith Fans constantly run down Fitzpatrick's ability and suitability for the team.  Fine except that the Jets have an offer to Fitz the Smith Fans eiher think is fine or too much.  And that the Jets have indicated if Fitzpatrick is back, then he will be the starter.

So what does it say about the Jets' view of Smith if all the foregoing is true?  However crappy Fitz is, Smith must really suck for the Jets to prefer Fitz over him.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then the Mo deal really had nothing to do with it.  If it wasn't really feasible before, it didn't suddenly become LESS feasible by saving $5.7M in cap space. 

2017's cap isn't all that much of a factor either, because a lot can happen before then.  The offer to Fitz is intended to make him the starter in 2016 and probably no further, with the hopes that Hack/Petty will turn into something OR we'll draft a QB in round 1, so there's a decent chance he'd be off the roster before all that comes into play.

We had to get the Mo deal done in order to create cap room to sign Lee. Fitz isn't going to be signed without a big money restructure elsewhere because I highly doubt he'll take vets minimum to play this year. 

58 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Like I wrote in another thread, if Mo's deal really killed Fitz's deal we'd hear by today - or we'd have heard over the weekend - how the Jets have rescinded their offer to Fitz.

If we hear nothing to the contrary very shortly, it means the deal is still on the table. At least until they reach the point in camp where they no longer guarantee him the starting job because he's missed too much time.

I doubt we hear it right away, like how we made no progress in contract talks with Mo n nothing had changed in that thinking until like a few minutes before the deal deadline. 

44 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/18/marshall-says-fitzpatrick-has-gone-silent-with-start-of-camp-looming/amp/#

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall said over the weekend that his last few text messages to unsigned quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick have gone unanswered, and Marshall called that “scary” because he and Fitzpatrick usually talk “all the time.”

Two weeks from training camp, the Jets-Fitzpatrick staredown is still unresolved. Marshall appeared on actor Michael Rapaport’s podcast and talked about both Fitzpatrick’s situation and the Jets quietly beating last week’s deadline to get defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson signed to a long-term extension.

“I try to give support to the player, to Fitz, to Big Mo, understanding what they’re going through because I’ve been through it,” Marshall said.

“To be honest, me and Fitz talk every day, all the time, but I texted him the last two weeks three times and there’s [been] no response,” Marshall said. “The only thing that he can do to make this right is to say he was on vacation, [he] was out of the country. It’s not like him. It’s scaring me right now. It’s scaring me that my guy hasn’t texted me back.”

Though Marshall isn’t afraid of a little drama, he’s also not been known to sugarcoat his feelings on any situation. Rapaport’s podcast can be accessed here.

All has been quiet on both sides of the Jets-Fitzpatrick situation, in part because Jets coach Todd Bowles said he was done talking about and in part because Bowles said that right before the Jets began their summer vacation.

Sounds to me like any change means a deal is eminate. Suddenly going silent means Fitz will sign today either with us or somewhere else. 

8 minutes ago, EM31 said:

With you guys it will be soggy bread if your guy gets the gig or group vaginitis if Fitz ends up signing.

tell us how you really feel after the "few guys n a cup" scene. 

14 minutes ago, EM31 said:

And no one can say the same about you guys?  

All ive ever said is I think I'd like to see Geno play with this group and with these weapons, won't do shlt if Fitz gets the gig.  

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Sounds to me like any change means a deal is eminate. Suddenly going silent means Fitz will sign today either with us or somewhere else. 

Trying to figure the sense in ignoring the guy who revitalized your career.  I'm mean Fitz really owes Marshall millions.  Even if Fitz is dumb enough to ruin his chances by asking for too much, Marshall has definitely at least added a couple million to Fitz's annual salary.

Maybe Fitz knows Marshall talks to the media a lot, so doesn't want to give Marshall the possibility of leaking info?  A plausible deniability type deal.

Perhaps he's signing with the Pats and Belichick said no more Jets contact?

Or he's just a dick and doesn't really like Marshall.  Now that he knows he's not being re-signed, he's moved on.

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

If you know about soggy bread, than most likely you've eaten the soggy bread.

Obviously jets signed the much more important player.. It could be mac may so " ok we got mo locked up, this yr is not as do or die anymore.. Not that this team was really going anywhere this yr, with fitz or geno behind center.. But we know fitz for sure isn't in any long term plans.

53 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Gotta ask?  Did you mean "emanate" or "imminent?"  Emanate sorta fits in a strange,  rarely used kind of English.  Imminent makes a lot more sense though.

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

To be honest, me and Fitz talk every day, all the time, but I texted him the last two weeks three times and there’s [been] no response,” Marshall said. “The only thing that he can do to make this right is to say he was on vacation, [he] was out of the country. It’s not like him. It’s scaring me right now. It’s scaring me that my guy hasn’t texted me back.”

I can see it now an episode of Criminal minds - Fitzpatrick bound and gagged in JoeWilly12's basement being forced to watch game tape of Geno playing against the Raiders last season. :o

31 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Gotta ask?  Did you mean "emanate" or "imminent?"  Emanate sorta fits in a strange,  rarely used kind of English.  Imminent makes a lot more sense though.

I think it's the latter, but you're thinking of eminate (like eminate domain etc) not emanate

Archived