How Mo's Deal Killed Fitz' Deal

j4jets

Fitz will be a Jet and he will start.

Does anyone really think he was going to leave $12mm on the table this year and $15mm guaranteed?  When $3.5mm is probably the most anyone else was going to offer him.

He didn't all of a sudden get caught off guard.  He's played this perfectly.  Based upon the media agenda alone (as the Jets are heavily driven on what the media says they should do) there's no way they will go into the season with Geno as the starter.

It's unfortunate but it's the truth.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, j4jets said:

I doubt we hear it right away, like how we made no progress in contract talks with Mo n nothing had changed in that thinking until like a few minutes before the deal deadline. 

Totally different situation. 

If the Jets yanked back the offer, because Mo's contract meant Maccagnan no longer sees his old offer to Fitz as an option, it would take about 5 minutes for everyone to know about it (if that long).

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Fitz will be a Jet and he will start.

Does anyone really think he was going to leave $12mm on the table this year and $15mm guaranteed?  When $3.5mm is probably the most anyone else was going to offer him.

He didn't all of a sudden get caught off guard.  He's played this perfectly.  Based upon the media agenda alone (as the Jets are heavily driven on what the media says they should do) there's no way they will go into the season with Geno as the starter.

It's unfortunate but it's the truth.

If the Jets were heavily driven by what the media thinks, Fitz would have been signed months ago.  Then again the Jets offer is more than fair, it's Fitz who is delaying the deal, not the Jets. 

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If the Jets were heavily driven by what the media thinks, Fitz would have been signed months ago.  Then again the Jets offer is more than fair, it's Fitz who is delaying the deal, not the Jets. 

Exactly right.  The Jets offer is very generous.  More than any of the media expected.  

Which is why the details "leaked" once serious media pressure hit.  (The Decker/Marshall mini-holdout)

There really are two issues and thus the stalemate and in essence both sides are right even if we don't like it.

The Jets are right because Fitz is not a long term solution and is a limited QB whom it makes no sense to over pay or over term.

Fitz is right becasue idiotic teams like Philly and Houston have artificially upped the pay scale marker for QB's with their moves early this off season.

I agree with FidelioJet, Fitz will get signed in some kind of compromise deal at the last moment before camp, either that or we will all get rick rolled.

4 hours ago, EM31 said:

Mike, Villain, J4jets, Jet Nut, JoeWillie12 plus a few notable others...

Form a circle... play soggy bread.

LOL glad I make such an impression on you and the fact that I don't even know what soggy bread is makes it funnier but you obviously have vast experiences with it.

Fitz isn't looking for a long term commitment or for Osweiller or Bradford money. He's available for 2016. Then the Jets can go with Hack. They can also sign another veteran to start (like Hoyer) in 2017 if that's the direction they want to go in. If he's as mediocre as you think he is they can easily replace him then. And cheaper. 

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Exactly right.  The Jets offer is very generous.  More than any of the media expected.  

Which is why the details "leaked" once serious media pressure hit.  (The Decker/Marshall mini-holdout)

There no mini hold out, there was no hold out.  People aren't still saying this, another media creation.

Just as I don't think the so called leak wasn't a product of the media, contract parameters are always leaking out when a deal has been sitting on the table.  Timing didn't even call for it. 

18 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz isn't looking for a long term commitment or for Osweiller or Bradford money. He's available for 2016. Then the Jets can go with Hack. They can also sign another veteran to start (like Hoyer) in 2017 if that's the direction they want to go in. If he's as mediocre as you think he is they can easily replace him then. And cheaper. 

31 other NFL teams passed lets not be that team that signs Fitzpatrick its time to move on and find our franchise QB not an imposter.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There no mini hold out, there was no hold out.  People aren't still saying this, another media creation.

Just as I don't think the so called leak wasn't a product of the media, contract parameters are always leaking out when a deal has been sitting on the table.  Timing didn't even call for it. 

Whether there was a hold out or not isn't the issue - As you said, the media was reporting regardless and it was getting a HUGE amount of coverage - (which, by the way, is exactly my point)

There is NO WAY that was coincidental... 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Whether there was a hold out or not isn't the issue - As you said, the media was reporting regardless and it was getting a HUGE amount of coverage - (which, by the way, is exactly my point)

There is NO WAY that was coincidental... 

That's what some believe.  I tend not to believe every move if media based.  I think the offer, the take it or leave it aspect that's been in place forever says this is what Macc believes, not what the NYDN and NYP think, otherwise they would have gotten this done long ago.  Actually talking to fans, fellow STHs etc, no one really cares which one plays, none want to see Macc up the offer

40 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Fitz is being a complexly unreasonable assclown at this point.  It's not our fault Bradford got that stupid contract. 

So if you don't sign a contract you don't like in your work situation does this make you unreasonable. It's nice you're making a value judgment on someone else and telling them what they should do. 

Whatever happens with Fitzpatrick, whether he comes back or doesn't, and as aggravating as the whole process has been, there's been one thing that has been amusing.

And that is how the Smith Fans constantly run down Fitzpatrick's ability and suitability for the team.  Fine except that the Jets have an offer to Fitz the Smith Fans eiher think is fine or too much.  And that the Jets have indicated if Fitzpatrick is back, then he will be the starter.

So what does it say about the Jets' view of Smith if all the foregoing is true?  However crappy Fitz is, Smith must really suck for the Jets to prefer Fitz over him.

What will be most amusing is what this board will read like at the end of October. One way or the other there is going to be a whole lotta crow being served up.

20 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, if Mo's deal killed any Fitz deal in play, then it simultaneously KILLED Mac as well.

Hopefully Mac has good survival instincts. The sole reason for years 2 and 3. But if Fitz doesn't buy in (and why should he) then he's putting his ass on the line even with the support of the owner. As soon as the heat is turned on he'll be abandoned very fast. We've seen it before. That is if he still wants to play sheriff. He didn't with Wilk now did he. Do you really think that Wilk would have sat out the season and left 16 mil on the table. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally different situation. 

If the Jets yanked back the offer, because Mo's contract meant Maccagnan no longer sees his old offer to Fitz as an option, it would take about 5 minutes for everyone to know about it (if that long).

Assuming they leak that info, cuz Fitz certainly wouldn't want it to leak out due to negotiation leverage. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Stopped reading the OP when it said the Jets still needed to sign a punter. It's like the poster doesn't even follow the team. 

OMGGG how did I miss we signed an undrafted rookie FA punter? Must've been all over the tabloids. Back to the topic, or do you prefer to ignore any reasonable analysis that dethrones King Fitz?

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Jets signed a young guy they drafted who is top3 at his position in league.  Fitz unrealistic expectations killed his own deal.  Two events not related.

Did you read the OP? There's a reason why we couldn't sign Snacks n it wasn't because of Steve McLendon. Cap makes everything relative, especially when a $3 mil journeyman wants to cash in on beating some terrible pass Ds. 

45 minutes ago, j4jets said:

OMGGG how did I miss we signed an undrafted rookie FA punter? Must've been all over the tabloids. Back to the topic, or do you prefer to ignore any reasonable analysis that dethrones King Fitz?

We drafted a punter, too. 

Regardless of the Fitz deal, I think Mac locked in another year with the signing of Mo, that deal completed a solid offseason, plenty of good will in the locker room and a defense that should win 6 games without the offense taking the field 

Even if Geno and the rookies stink it up, Mac will get one more chance to find his QB

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Regardless of the Fitz deal, I think Mac locked in another year with the signing of Mo capping a solid offseason, plenty of good will and a defense that should win 6 games without the offense taking the field 

Even if Geno and the rookies stink it up, Mac will get one more chance to find his QB

At least 1 more

no worries though ... The Fitz deal will be worked out within the next 9 or 10 days

57 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Did you read the OP? There's a reason why we couldn't sign Snacks n it wasn't because of Steve McLendon. Cap makes everything relative, especially when a $3 mil journeyman wants to cash in on beating some terrible pass Ds. 

Yes.  But you can also say every person on the teams salary kills Fitz.  My point.  

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Well, if Mo's deal killed any Fitz deal in play, then it simultaneously KILLED Mac as well.

Well if you say so, it just has to be true.  After all you figured immediately that Macc was in over his head.  

You're ahead of the curve 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

So if you don't sign a contract you don't like in your work situation does this make you unreasonable. It's nice you're making a value judgment on someone else and telling them what they should do. 

YES, do you not understand? 

Shlt, if you're the shlttiest mail clerk in a 32 mail clerk pool you don't turn down pay that would put you in the middle of the pack because you want to be in the top half of the pay scale.  And then argue who's overpaid so you should too. 

How can you keep asking the same inane question over and aver again.  It's not this friggen hard

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

They also drafted a punter. They have two punters under contract. This is easy stuff. I didn't read anything else because it's not worth my time if you're going to waste it. It's also evident from what I skimmed you have zero idea how the NFL and contracts work. If players restructure their contracts they don't lose a dime. Do some research and start again. 

Archived