How Mo's Deal Killed Fitz' Deal

j4jets

8 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Mo not signing was never in play. Even if Mo hadn't signed a long term deal, he would have ultimately signed the franchise tender. Either way Mo would never have sat out. Although I love what Fitz did for the offense last season, make no mistake about it, he should NOT consider himself to be anywhere near how important Mo is. Mo is 26 and at the top of his game. You can build your defense around him. Fitz, on the other hand, has never been anything better than a journeyman up until last season. Based on last season, and last season solely, he is considered to be a great stop gap. He's the guy that we can use UNTIL we find that ever elusive franchise QB. However, Fitz days are numbered as our QB. We cannot think we'll have Fitz putting up 35 touchdowns and 10 interceptions for the next 10 seasons. Fitz is 33 and I figure based on his reckless style that he'll be in the league maybe another 5 seasons at the most and certainly not at the kind of production he put out in 2015.

But I will tell you right now, and I have nothing to point to as proof, just a really good intuition, that if Mac goes with Geno, dumps Fitz, and Geno starts being the normal idiot he has always been with the football? Mac would essentially be putting his job on the line. If this guy wants to last in NY, he's better get Fitz to sign. That's the ONLY solution to this rather precarious position he finds himself in.

In the case of Mo vs Fitz its not even close. Keep in mind even without Wilkerson the Jets still have a pretty stout Defensive line and a very solid defense over all. Without Fitz this team is in big trouble IMHO ....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/18/2016 at 0:07 PM, j4jets said:

We don't know the complete details on Mo's deal yet but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out a few basic things. His 2016 cap charge is about $10 mil from what I hear. Rest of the 4 years average about $19 mil a year in cap charges. He saved us $5 mil space in 2016. 

2016 Cap:

We are currently at around $8 mil in space after Mo's deal. We are yet to sign Lee n a punter, which would add about $3 mil to the cap. It leaves us $5 mil, most of which will be needed for in-season pickups. 

2017 Cap:

Prior to Mo's deal, we were at around $20 mil in space. Mo is averaging $19 mil a yr in 2017-2020. We also need additional $11 mil for rookie signings, Lee's deal n in season pickups. That's about $31 mil additional for 2017 where we had about $20 mil space. Cap would go up of course but by how much? Your guess is as good as mine. Can we create cap by restructures/releases? Of course. But every release requires a new signing. Every restructure puts strain on future cap.

What About Fitz' Deal?

As I've established, we currently stand at no extra cap space for 2016 or 2017 beyond what is needed right now. A one year deal means we can structure the deal in a way we spread the $12mil he wants over 2016 and 2017. Lets say we release Harris n a couple other starters. First of all, We'll need their replacements. Second, those replacements will cost you $. Lastly, who plays QB in 2017? Hack won't be ready. Petty won't even make the 16 roster with Fitz. Geno would be a FA.

Lets assume we meet in between with Fitz n do a 3 year $30 mil deal.   How do we fit $20 mil of cap in 2016 n 2017 when we can't even fit $12 mil without releasing a few starters n restructures? Is Fitz that good that we can release numerous starters for? I've been saying it all along. It's either Fitz or Mo. Not both. 

Then there's the question of Fitz vs Geno, which requires a few TBs of cyber space to discuss as the picture below suggests. 

image.jpeg

/necro

[insert GIF of crow and fork]

Archived