Jets have given Fitzpatrick multiple contract offers to choose from

joewilly12

Jets have given Ryan Fitzpatrick multiple contract offers to choose from 

BY MANISH MEHTA

The latest wrinkle in the painstaking attempt to reunite the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick has a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure theme that might put an end to this six-month impasse.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have given the veteran quarterback multiple offers with the hope of bringing back their undisputed leader from a year ago before the start of training camp this week.

The Jets' three-year, $24 million offer (which is below market value but includes $15 million in guarantees) has dominated the conversation for the better part of two months, but the organization has presented at least one other option for Fitzpatrick, whose franchise-record 31 touchdowns helped Todd Bowles to 10 wins in his rookie season.

It stands to reason that Fitzpatrick isn't thrilled with any of the offers laid out by the Jets' brain trust given that he's still unsigned.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-fitzpatrick-multiple-contract-offers-pick-article-1.2725186

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets have played this just perfectly if you ask me.  They want him but have their overall price point and do not want to put the team in a bind a year or so from now.  I would be surprised if he does not sign just before camp and although they want him to be the teams starter they will move on if they have to.

I'd like to know what these multiple offers are and where they get this info from. Then he speculates as to what the Jets could offer or should offer. I don't see much meat on the bones. Just more connect the dots. And of course we see who the author is. A guy who makes things up. 

Mike Maccagnan Getty Images

By Glenn Naughton

Given how frequently we hear of Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan’s excessive coffee consumption, you wouldn’t expect him to be calm, cool and collected at the negotiation table while hammering out a deal.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News is reporting that the Jets and Maccagnan have made multiple offers to free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in recent days as the start of training kicking off later this week.

The report comes just a couple of weeks after the team shocked many by signing defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term deal at the eleventh hour, before the team’s only option would be to have Wilkerson play 2016 under the franchise tag.

Many have speculated that a deal between Fitzpatrick and the Jets wouldn’t come any sooner than this week, and if the two sides are talking actively negotiating once again, those prognosticators, wide receiver Eric Decker included, may be proven right in the coming days.

A deal between the Jets and Fitzpatrick would bring an end to one of the least dramatic long-term standoffs in recent memory as the team named Fitzpatrick their starting quarterback way back in January and the quarterback generated very little interest in the free agent market.

Any failure to get a deal done at this point would have to fall squarely on the shoulders of Fitzpatrick who has no other guaranteed starting jobs staring him in the face.  Finding a way to lose the starting job to Geno Smith would have to go down as the biggest gaffe in Fitzpatrick’s steady, yet far from spectacular career.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
WFKh4gGBS24

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

It actually sounds like these offers are not a new development.

If offers are recent, as report says they are, I'd say it's a development.  JMO of course.

Misleading title by OP, he's citing the metha article that provides unclear information of what or when these contract offers were made.

Little more: Jets and Fitz's camp traded proposals in the spring. Several different structures have been offered. No offer has been pulled.
9:04 AM - 25 Jul 2016
8 RETWEETS10 LIKES

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If offers are recent, as report says they are, I'd say it's a development.  JMO of course.

I read through the article quickly as I am not a huge Mehta fan. I thought he inferred these offers have been on the table a while.

I am merging these two threads.

Ultimately I think this is a smoke screen designed to get Geno to accept a smaller long term deal. They are going to lock up their future; might as well save some money along the way.

13 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I read through the article quickly as I am not a huge Mehta fan. I thought he said these offers have been on the table a while.

Could be right.  First saw the story tweeted by another source implying offers were recent but nothing confirms or dispels that.

However, this is the first we've heard of multiple offers.

Up until now, it's been reported that jets haven't altered initial offer.

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ultimately I think this is a smoke screen designed to get Geno to accept a smaller long term deal. They are going to lock up their future; might as well save some money along the way.

Getting Geno locked up for anything less than $22 million a year wins MaC exec of the year yet again!!!

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am willing to give him $15 per hour. If he balks Geno plays for $12.50 per hour.

Making the B Sanders $15 minimum wage number and a little better than Hilaries $12 per offer. 

As a Fitz supporter, I'd like to see him back for a deal that does not hurt us financially. However, whether we sign him or not, I'd like the team to set a deadline. We need the team to know which direction we're going. Pre-season is right around the corner!!  

considering that the Mo deal wasn't seen by anyone, as evidence that everybody said Mo would play under the tag for 2016, does anyone believe that any

details of a contract offer will be leaked?  consider the source.

8 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If true and the offers are recent then that is very bad news for us that the coaching staff is not confident in Geno.

However, this is Mannish so the accuracy of any of it is not to be trusted. 

Nothing saying if offers are recent or not.

If offers are old, the timing is a bit odd.

Would've expected it to leak along with the details Jets leaked earlier.  

Maybe leak it now for last second pressure on Fitz with narrative being Jets hadn't altered previously leaked offer?

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

It actually sounds like these offers are not a new development.

I think it literally says that, if not in this article, then in the other similar ones being blurbed around the web today. The offers have been out there for a while.

Nothing new. Just troll-bait for the blue collar mentality fans that take it personal when players want to get paid.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Locking up Geno Smith is akin to nailing jello to a wall. He's a bum, and there's no market for him. If he was free agent tomorrow he'd be lucky to get paid like your average #2 or #3. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

If true and the offers are recent then that is very bad news for us that the coaching staff is not confident in Geno.

However, this is Mannish so the accuracy of any of it is not to be trusted. 

Double post 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets have given Ryan Fitzpatrick multiple contract offers to choose from 

BY MANISH MEHTA

The latest wrinkle in the painstaking attempt to reunite the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick has a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure theme that might put an end to this six-month impasse.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have given the veteran quarterback multiple offers with the hope of bringing back their undisputed leader from a year ago before the start of training camp this week.

The Jets' three-year, $24 million offer (which is below market value but includes $15 million in guarantees) has dominated the conversation for the better part of two months, but the organization has presented at least one other option for Fitzpatrick, whose franchise-record 31 touchdowns helped Todd Bowles to 10 wins in his rookie season.

It stands to reason that Fitzpatrick isn't thrilled with any of the offers laid out by the Jets' brain trust given that he's still unsigned.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-fitzpatrick-multiple-contract-offers-pick-article-1.2725186

"Undisputed" ?

LOL.... Hasn't the writer heard about Joewille or Cant Wait or Villain?

Archived