Baseball trading deadline thread

faba

The Toronto Blue Jays acquired outfielder Melvin Upton Jr. and cash from the San Diego Padres for minor league pitcher Hansel RodrUpton is making $15.45 million this season and $16.45 million next season, the final year of a five-year deal he signed with theAtlanta Braves before the 2013 season. The Padres will pay all but $5 million of what is owed to Upton, according to MLB Network and confirmed by ESPN.

Upton, 31, is in the midst of a bounce-back season with the Padres, batting .256 with 16 home runs, 45 RBIs and a team-leading 20 stolen bases. The 12-year veteran, who played in only 87 games last season, figures to provide outfield depth and versatility to the Blue Jays, who trail the first-place Baltimore Orioles by three games in the American League East.

The Orioles also reportedly had expressed an interest in trading for Upton.

Upton took to Twitter on Tuesday to thank the Padres and their fans and to say he is excited to be joining the Blue Jays.

The Padres, along with the Diamondbacks this year, are learning that you just can't pump free agents into a team and have it turn into a legitimate contender right away.

Build, build, build through the farm system.

If I were to start an expansion franchise, I would put my money into scouting and player development. 

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Padres, along with the Diamondbacks this year, are learning that you just can't pump free agents into a team and have it turn into a legitimate contender right away.

If I were to start an expansion franchise, I would put my money into scouting and player development. 

And those are two franchises that can do it and not have (insert location) Nation not bitch at every given moment.

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And obviously hire Gato for the Jonah Hill role, right?

I am coming to enjoy my new role as the guy local Mets fans vent their feewings out on. I had little idea 80 was also part of this bottom of the barrell group, these little shots are starting to pile up, but I suppose you can't beat out Ape for the role of RJF's right hand guy without doing this. Considering the timing, just means the team I like is doing very well.

The D'Backs have developed guys like Goldschmidt, Pollock, Lamb, some competent pitchers (Corbin's been a big disappointment), which is pretty damn good. Hell, both Drury and Owings are pretty competent young guys given their positioms. Objectively their big FA move, Greinke, was playing to the contract before his injury. Losing Pollock was a huge blow, but far and away their worst offseason move was that horrendous trade for Shelby Miller. This is known outside of this circle jerk, but I also can't expect an in depth look from casual Mets fans on a football forum who think statements like "scouting and PD is important" is profound. 

-----

Some stories I am into this deadline:

- Do the White Sox ACTUALLY move Sale or Quintana?

- Who gets Lucroy? This guy's a stud and deserves to be in a playoff race right now. Does that same team buy LHRP Will Smith - an excellent power lefty at his best? I like that match with the Mets, Lucroy and Smith, at the risk of daring speak about that franchise in these super stressful times as well as the Rangers and Indians.

- Do the Pirates buy? They have the farm, they're a game and a half out on the WC....OTOH it wouldn't be overly stunning to see them sell Jaso, Melancon, and Liriano. 

- Who gets CarGo? He's the best bat available, no one is talking about him, but his LH power and extra year of control should appeal to a bunch of contenders if they are willing to spend.

- Who gets Reddick? This is a guy with some fantastic periphs this year that suggest a contender might get a guy capable of delivering a big second half. Giants for Tyler Beede, maybe?

- Tf do the Nats do for their bullpen? How willing are they to move say a Victor Robles for Andrew Miller? What about the Giants? 

- What do the Royals do? Whatever they do, I think selling Wade Davis would be wise.

- Indians as buyers - excellent farm for a team like the Yankees. I love me some Triston McKenzie, and would be a little disappointed if he leaves that typically competent org as far as SP development. 

- Can the Reds get their rebuild on track? Sucks Votto's career has been pissed away and their rebuild seems to be slow going after being the loser of the Chapman transactions. 

- Astros, Rangers, Jays, and Orioles can all make themselves the class of the AL as well. 

- Do the Cubs go out and get a SP and/or OF? I want it, but the SP either needs to be a power arm with MiL options and bullpen flexibility or a proven power arm with some years before FA. Do they wait for the offseason?

I'm sure there's more, seems pretty busy already with a big trade in and a handful of smaller ones like today's Upton deal.

I very, very rarely see the team landing prospects as the winner of a trade but the Padres straight up robbed the Marlins. Naylor's a future stud at 1B, Capps is a stud reliever when healthy, Cosart is a solid buy low guy....Naylor's such a get given the Padres are rebuilding.

Marlins obviously felt the need to try and solution their #4 and 5 rotation spots for the stretch drive in a basically weak SP market. I think if teams want a SP this deadline that they will end up overpaying.

Good to see TJ surgery is only an issue when discussing Mets pitchers so Capp's is a safe bet to return to dominance. Naylor at 19 is a high draft pick with raw power but one who has not yet hit lefties at the low A level. 

If Cashner (probably the most sure talent in the deal) pitches well down the stretch (as he has of late) and they make the play-offs I imagine they achieved their goal in the trade. Silly attempting to grade the deal at this point.

11 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Marlins obviously felt the need to try and solution their #4 and 5 rotation spots for the stretch drive in a basically weak SP market. I think if teams want a SP this deadline that they will end up overpaying.

Good to see TJ surgery is only an issue when discussing Mets pitchers so Capp's is a safe bet to return to dominance. Naylor at 19 is a high draft pick with raw power but one who has not yet hit lefties at the low A level. 

If Cashner (probably the most sure talent in the deal) pitches well down the stretch (as he has of late) and they make the play-offs I imagine they achieved their goal in the trade. Silly attempting to grade the deal at this point.

Cashner is such an enigma. When he was first traded for Rizzo (what a steal for the Cubs) he looked electric. But control problems and injuries have wrecked his career. He does not throw near as hard as he did before, and is no guarantee. 

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Cashner is such an enigma. When he was first traded for Rizzo (what a steal for the Cubs) he looked electric. But control problems and injuries have wrecked his career. He does not throw near as hard as he did before, and is no guarantee. 

I agree. At the time it looked like a fairly even deal. He once looked like a can't miss stud in the making which is why labeling prospects as "sure things" is often just wishful thinking.

I do think that he is capable of helping the Marlins down the stretch but as you point out, inconsistency is his major flaw. This is a weak market and every team that has dealt can be argued to some degree as having overpaid.  This is a meh deal due to the performance of players involved, injury or how far off Naylor is.  Marlins have looked to sure up their  SP situation so we'll see if it was worth losing Naylor and the possibility of Capps coming back from injury as the dominant reliever that he was.  

On 7/29/2016 at 1:50 PM, The Troll said:

The Yankees are absolute idiots if they seriously turned down Giolito straight up for Miller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They got a lot, I don't know prospects, so  don't know if it's better or worse then Giolito, but they got a lot.

6 hours ago, The Troll said:

Yes, they did, though neither is of Giolito's pedigree. The Yankees have done very well this deadline.

I love Miller, and I know he wanted to be in NY.  But what a great series of moves, let Robertson go, get a draft pick.   Sign Miller for less, do not give up a draft pick.   Get great use out of Miller, trade for good prospects.  

I'd rather watch them have a down year or 2 with kids coming up then watch win 87 and either miss the playoffs or lose a wild card game.  Watching them in the mid 90s, when they were getting it together before the big run was so enjoyable.  I mean, you never expect another run like that, but watching them rebuild is more fun, and gets me personally more vested in the team then just bringing in free agents.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Dodgers have acquired Josh Reddick and Rich Hill from the A's.

There was a report on Sunday afternoon that this trade was in the works, and it has officially come together with three hours to go before the August 1 (4:00 p.m. ET) deadline. Oakland will get prospects Frankie Montas, Grant Holmes, and Jharel Cotton in return. It's obviously a huge splash for the Dodgers, who had been seeking both a bat and an arm. Reddick, a 29-year-old impending free agent outfielder, is slashing .296/.368/.449 with eight home runs and 28 RBI in 68 games this season for Oakland.

Fernando Abad has been traded to the Red Sox, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

It's a nice low-key addition for the Boston bullpen. Abad, 30, has registered a 2.65 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 29/14 K/BB ratio in 34 innings this season for the Twins and he's been especially lethal against left-handed batters. He'll be eligible for arbitration this winter. Pat Light, a 25-year-old right-handed reliever, will head to Minnesota in return.

Archived