Fitzpatrick signed- 1 year 12 mill fully guaranteed

Matt39

12 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Sources: Jets imposed 7 pm deadline or deal was off table. Ryan Fitzpatrick arrived at facility to accept offer at... 7 pm. Just perfect.

The best part?  Mehta posted this gem literally an hour before the news broke:

Mike Maccagnan’s inexperience has never been more evident — unless Jets GM truly doesn’t want Ryan Fitzpatrick back  

Not Released (NR)

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s teammates want him back... but does the Jets GM?

(Alex Goodlett/Getty Images)

Mike Maccagnan has inexplicably chosen to ignore every important voice in the Jets locker room, deferring to the voices in his head that have led him down a dangerous road.

The Jets reported for the start of training camp Wednesday without Ryan Fitzpatrick. They reported to the team facility with explicit instructions not to discuss their leader, an ill-conceived plan rooted in ridiculousness.

“All questions about Ryan is for Coach Bowles,” veteran running back Matt Forte said. “They told me to tell you all that.”

Maccagnan’s inexperience as a general manager has never been more evident. The Fitzpatrick saga that has paralyzed Woody Johnson’s billion-dollar organization for the better part of six months has prompted raised eyebrows and, frankly, laughter across the league.

Jets Insider: 1st-round pick Darron Lee finally gets deal done

“What the hell are they doing over there?” one general manager asked me this week.

Excellent question. It’s mind-boggling.

The Jets, coming off a 10-win season with a quarterback coming off a franchise-record 31 touchdown passes for the most prolific offense in franchise history, have mishandled this situation.

Why has Maccagnan been playing silly games with the player, who frankly saved his derriere last year after the general manager’s first choice to play quarterback got clocked in the jaw over a matter of a few hundred bucks?

Nick Foles now available, if Jets can’t reach deal with Fitz

Why did Maccagnan publicly fawn over Fitzpatrick after the season and profess his desire to bring him back as the undisputed starter only to present him with second-rate/insulting offer(s) behind the scenes?

Why has Maccagnan shown no sense of urgency in the past six months even though the core of his team isn’t getting any younger?

Why has Maccagnan taken this bizarre half-hearted tack (with no expressed hard deadline) with the one guy, who gives everyone on One Jets Drive the best chance to break an embarrassing five-year playoff drought?

The logical conclusion: Maccagnan doesn’t really believe in Fitzpatrick.

Ryan Fitzpatrick not a topic Jets players allowed to talk about

Perhaps he thinks that the 33-year-old signal caller’s 2015 production was a fluke. He’s clearly not convinced that the veteran can duplicate his success from a year ago.

It stands to reason given the nonsense that has ensued since a soul-crushing Week 17 loss in Buffalo that has now conveniently become all Fitzpatrick’s fault.

It’s amazing. I don’t remember Fitzpatrick giving up 11 catches for 136 yards to Sammy Watkins that afternoon. I don’t remember Fitzpatrick failing to set the edge on Tyrod Taylor’s 18-yard touchdown run. I don’t remember Fitzpatrick dropping a perfect pass down the sideline with 24 seconds left that would have won the game and sent the Jets to the playoffs.

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan

(Rich Schultz/Getty Images)

What I do remember is one regrettable decision early in the fourth quarter that resulted in an interception in the end zone. (Anyone who actually witnessed the game knows that the final two picks were hardly Fitzpatrick’s fault).

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jets’ Brandon Marshall hang out in Chicago

Have the Jets actually used Fitzpatrick’s disappointing numbers in the season finale against him in negotiations… or have those numbers been a convenience for a G.M., who doesn’t feel the need to bring back the veteran signal caller, because, well, he doesn’t feel any heat from the billionaire boss man to make the postseason in 2016?

Maccagnan, genuinely a nice guy, was hailed as a cross between Plato and Archimedes last summer after signing Darrelle Revis, a resident genius bringing back the prodigal son. That signing, however, was the ultimate no-brainer given that Revis wanted to return, because he knew that the Jets would massively overpay.

Maccagnan has proven competent in his first 18 months, but let’s not send him to Canton just yet.

He made a terrific trade for Brandon Marshall after several key people in the organization, including Todd Bowles, vouched for the mercurial wide receiver.

He made a fortuitous trade for Fitzpatrick, never intending for the veteran to be anything other than insurance for Geno Smith.

Maccagnan’s plan remains unclear. He was amenable to trading Muhammad Wilkerson for a year and a half before a curious about-face two weeks ago locked up the defensive lineman to a fair and reasonable long-term deal. Jets fans aren’t complaining about that, but if Maccagnan believed so much in Wilkerson, then why not sign him to a deal months ago?

Now, Maccagnan is playing hard ball with Fitzpatrick rather than bridging the gap by ponying up a few more million dollars. Sure, the Jets have accurately judged the league’s interest level in Fitzpatrick, who never received a suitable offer during free agency.

But what does that really mean? Look at what has transpired in the interim. Fitzpatrick missed valuable off-season time to build off his successful 2015 campaign. He could have used those months to evolve with his receivers. Maccagnan unwittingly might have stunted the growth of the offense.

These negotiations have engendered ill will regardless of what anyone says publicly. Maccagnan has done his coaches and players no favors along the way. They’re fully aware that Fitzpatrick affords them the best opportunity to make a realistic playoff run this season.

From Darrelle Revis to Eric Decker to Brandon Marshall, who posted a picture with Fitzpatrick on Instagram a little more than 24 hours before the start of training camp, for God’s sakes, the locker room message has been clear: Bring Back the Beard.

Maccagnan has chosen to ignore those voices, trying to win a fight that isn’t worth fighting. The organization won’t cripple their present or future financial structure by “overpaying” by a few million. He knows that.

Sometimes the shrewd business decision isn’t the smartest football decision unless, of course, the man in charge doesn’t truly believe in the player.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jets fans. Keep the faith man. Look at the positives. Great defense. Great offensive weapons. Better coaching staff in a long time. QBs of Fitz's caliber have won Superbowls. How about Doug Williams, Jeff Hosteller, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypian. It can be done. I'm not writing the season off because we have a not so great QB group.....yet. Check back with me at midseason.

9 hours ago, Mike135 said:

So what makes this deal look smart at the end of the season?

8-8 or better?

Also, if Geno does end up starting, whether due to injury or Fitz playing poorly early, and Geno does better...  does it put Macc's job on the line for wasting the money?

Just wondering.  I've jumped on the Fitz bandwagon.  Starting now, I know he'll reverse his history of not beating good teams.  This is purely hypothetical.

Anything less than playoffs is a failure.  

Mac's job isn't on the line yet but anything less than playoffs this year his job will begin to be on the line. 

I personally think this was a very bad move and is the first nail in his coffin.  I certainly hope I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

HIs agent originally wanted 18 million. Both sides compromised. Fitz comprimised first. Mac wins

This is wrong. I'm sorry but the Jets folded. Badly.  

Paying $12-15mm for someone no one else wanted. 

3 years 24 was still ridiculous but the logic was understandable, this deal is a fold. No other way to see it. 

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

3 years 24 was still ridiculous but the logic was understandable, this deal is a fold. No other way to see it. 

My first fear when the jets hired Macc was that other GM's would fleece him in trades and agents would abuse him because his career to that point he had never reported directly to a GM, he was a scout through and through. He never had to please the owner and his coaches. He had never been the decider, the man holding the phone.

I was wrong.

I don't love every move he has made, but I see a guy learning.  I see a guy controlling leaks and applying leverage. Some of the leverage was transparent, but I was calling for him to take away the offer weeks ago and it turns out he was using a deadline. 

Sexton started high, Macc started low.  If you look at the QB's who aren't on their 1st contract, Fitz is 22nd out of 23 in terms of cap hit dollars.  How can anyone argue with that ?

Fitz was clearly the starter if the jets brought him back, so they had to cough up starter money.  They coughed up about the least amount of starter money and the beauty of it is it is a 1 year deal.

I used a few Glengarry comments to insult macc, so it is only fair now that he signed Mo and Fitz and all of his rookies and an NFL top 100 players RB that can catch.....

Enjoy your coffee Mike !

maccagnan.jpg

7 hours ago, Pac said:

The gloating going on in this thread is cringe worthy.  Guys are acting like YA Tiddle just entered the building when in reality they overpaid a JAG no one wanted, and were clearly uncomfortable committing to beyond 16'. 

I'd say 15% of NFL fans even knew about this staring contest and they, like every other NFL fan, couldn't care less. 

1.  For months we were told by many here that Geno was going to be the guy and that the Jets should/were going to tell Fitz to f*ck off.  I like being right.  Geno is basically worthless in the eyes of this coaching staff.  Hence why Petty and Hackenberg were drafted in back to back years, and Fitz is now entering Year 2 as a starter. 

2.  QB is the most important position on the field.  I couldn't give 2 sh*ts what the rest of the NFL's fans think of the decision.  Like it or not, you have to support your QB when the season starts.  Otherwise what's the point?  Might as well basically skip the season.  Fitz is a likable guy, and his teammates like him far more than some of the dreary, whiny fans on this board. 

3.  You clearly don't have sour grapes about this at all.  Not even a little bit. 

Look, for years we've complained about a god awful offense.  And for good reason.  Up until last season, we had one of the league's worst offenses every year (other than perhaps 2010) and starting in Week 12 of 2008. 

We had a more than competent offense last year, and stand to improve offensively this year with the talent we have back and the talent we added, particularly at RB and even along the offensive line (eventually one of those young guys has to develop....right?).  So, yeah, some people are excited about that.  I will not apologize for being one of them. 

And even better:  Some of the more reasonable fans here wanted Fitz back but only for 1 more year.  That's exactly what Macc just did.  So either Hackenberg or Petty will be the starting QB in 2017 (the ideal scenario), or we go get our franchise guy in the offseason.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

wrong.  wrong. wrong.

The 3 year deal offered by the Jets was as follows:

Year 1: $12 million

Year 2 & 3: $6 million each

$15 million guaranteed.

The ONLY reason for that 3 year offer was to spread the 2016 salary over time to reduce the 2016 cap hit.  Once Mo was signed, the need to do this was greatly reduced so the Jets could just do the 1 year $12 million thing.

There was no "caving in" by Mac.  He is paying Fitz the same $12 million amount  that he offered him many months ago.  In fact, if Fitz doesn't meet the requirements for the $3 million in incentives, then Mac will be paying Fitz $3 million less than he offered to guarantee him months ago.

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

wrong.  wrong. wrong.

$15 million guaranteed.

The ONLY reason for that 3 year offer was to spread the 2016 salary over time to reduce the 2016 cap hit.  Once Mo was signed, the need to do this was greatly reduced so the Jets could just do the 1 year $12 million thing.

There was no "caving in" by Mac.  He is paying Fitz the same $12 million amount  that he offered him many months ago.  In fact, if Fitz doesn't meet the requirements for the $3 million in incentives, then Mac will be paying Fitz $3 million less than he offered to guarantee him months ago.

Unfortunately you are wrong.  

The deal was for 3 years because they wanted him cheap in the 2nd and 3rd years.  Which made sense. It was always $12mm in year 1 (with $15mm guaranteed)  Nothing to do with Mo. Difference is the Jets don't have him locked up for $6mm per the next two   

Fitz publucally stated over a month ago that he would take a 1 year $12mm deal.  Mac folded here.  You may still like the deal and you can certainly have that opinion, but there's no way to look at other than Mac gave in to Fitz here. 

50 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Anything less than playoffs is a failure.  

Mac's job isn't on the line yet but anything less than playoffs this year his job will begin to be on the line. 

I personally think this was a very bad move and is the first nail in his coffin.  I certainly hope I'm wrong. 

Disagree. The tough schedule is lowering expectations for this year amongst fans and media. As long as they dont completely go into the cellar, they should be okay

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The deal was for 3 years because they wanted him cheap in the 2nd and 3rd years.  Which made sense. It was always $12mm in year 1 (with $15mm guaranteed)  Nothing to do with Mo. Difference is the Jets don't have him locked up for $6mm per the next two   

Fitz publucally stated over a month ago that he would take a 1 year $12mm deal.  Mac folded here.  You may still like the deal and you can certainly have that opinion, but there's no way to look at other than Mac gave in to Fitz here. 

Except that Jimmy Sexton, Fitz's agent wanted 18 million. Jets compromised up 4m. Fitz went down 6m. 6>4. Mac wins.

Interesting how the Geno era went. Was supposed to sit and be our starter a year or two after we drafted him. We did the exact opposite. Lucky kid had the likes of Rex Ryan and Marty Morhingweig as his coaches. Shockingly, he failed while on the field. No denying that.

If we don't trade Geno, I pray we at least bench fitz if he does poorly and not treat him as untouchable because of this contract fiasco. If this blows up, what a fcking hill to die on, Mac.

Prove me wrong Fitzy, don't let Rob Ninkovich bully you anymore.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Disagree. The tough schedule is lowering expectations for this year amongst fans and media. As long as they dont completely go into the cellar, they should be okay

While I tend to agree with your perspective.  

Most Jet fans listen to what Benito, Carton, Mehta and Cimini tell them (people here are mostly more knowledgable) and those guys love to "hate"

and the Jets are consistently run with a PR first mentality (football second) - if they miss the playoffs with Fitz winning 6 or 7 games the calls for Mac's job (justified or not) will begin and paying a journeyman back-up who has never been to the playoffs $12mm will be the haters first bullet-point. 

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

wrong.  wrong. wrong.

$15 million guaranteed.

Look, that 3 year deal was on the table for 7 months and he wouldn't sign it. And he stuck to his guns even though no market this year for starting Qbs. The Jets refused to budge on it until yesterday afternoon. It wasn't to spread around the cap money. They obviously figured that out. It was to keep him under contract on a backup deal just in case Hack was not ready to start. It was a bad contract for Fitz. They wanted him to be a starter in 2016 and then accept the backup role for '17 and '18. It was meant to be an insurance policy for Mac and Woody. I don't look at it as caving in. It was common sense. And in any negotiation there is supposed to be give and take not take it or leave it. The Jets couldn't get away with it, they wanted Fitz so they changed the offer and compromised. What they wanted was never a reasonable deal. This deal could have been struck a long time ago and none of this bad publicity and Qb controversy. I think (but don't know) that this was orchestrated by Woody and the reason they settled was because he gave the green light to Mac yesterday. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

While I tend to agree with your perspective.  

Most Jet fans listen to what Benito, Carton, Mehta and Cimini tell them (people here are mostly more knowledgable) and those guys love to "hate"

and the Jets are consistently run with a PR first mentality (football second) - if they miss the playoffs with Fitz winning 6 or 7 games the calls for Mac's job (justified or not) will begin and paying a journeyman back-up who has never been to the playoffs $12mm will be the haters first bullet-point. 

I think Cimini has them at 7-9 wins and missing the playoffs. The media is saying they are going to take a step back because of the tough front part of their schedule. 

Because the deal is 1 year, the effect of signing Fitzpatrick will not be felt for long, so the haters will not really have a leg to stand on.

As you can imagine i am a very happy Jets fan! We have our starter, our team is confident and now its time to put in the work.  The young guys in the QB room have their mentor and we are not committed to any QB for high dollars next year. If, as many fans on this board have said, Fitz cannot hang with the tougher teams this year, we can move on next year with what we have and acquire another or during this year and see what we have behind him.

Add to this that we have locked up our best young leader on defense and I have a big smile.

Go NY Jets!!!!

10 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Well end of story. Let's move on now that he has signed. Brandon Marshall had a huge hand in this IMHO!

If he did Macc and company should be fired. The day you let your paid employees dictate hirings you may as well walk out the door. 

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Great.  We bring back the JAG and still don't find out if Geno can do the job or not.  Personally, I think Geno sucks.  But now we get him to hang around for the next few years.  

There's no such thing as a "JAG" QB.  If you play the position at even replacement level, that actually has strong value in this league.  See:  Dalton, Andy.  Because of the outliers there are at the position (some transcendent QB's like Rodgers or Luck, and truly awful QB's like Mark Sanchez and Geno), a "middle of the pack starter", while not ideal, is not the same as it is at other positions.

And Fitz is only signed for 1 year.  Geno only signed thru 2016.  We will be rolling with Hackenberg, Petty, and a new QB or 2 in 2017. 

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree 100%, and I'm disappointed. He should've held firm to the three year deal. Fitz had no other options until Mac gave him one. Puts the Jets in a position next year where possibly Hackenberg is the only QB under contract. 

21 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The ease of schedule was apparently not a reason Fitz had such a (relatively) good year last year, so a bad schedule shouldn't be an excuse this year. A one year deal screams win now/playoffs. I don't think there'll be a lot apologists if the Jets stumble out of the gate. 

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Except that Jimmy Sexton, Fitz's agent wanted 18 million. Jets compromised up 4m. Fitz went down 6m. 6>4. Mac wins.

Honestly I don't want to go and forth on this but I don't care what his agents asked  - I care about what he's worth.  And the market has dictated he was worth substantially less than $12mm.  Yet Mac paid it.  That's is folding to me. 

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think Cimini has them at 7-9 wins and missing the playoffs. The media is saying they are going to take a step back because of the tough front part of their schedule. 

Because the deal is 1 year, the effect of signing Fitzpatrick will not be felt for long, so the haters will not really have a leg to stand on.

Hopefully our momentum is back even though the FO tried their best to kill it. If the team is as good as some of us think it can be we'll hold our own the first part of the season and then get things into high gear the second half. There is no way you go to the playoffs and succeed without beating the better teams. That starts on opening day. I think we will play well against teams like the Bengals and Pitt and win games but not all of them. This is not a throwaway season. It's to me our best chance to win,. Next year could be another story because some of our vets like Harris might not be here. If he plays well this season and we can some how make up for the loss of Snacks we have a good chance. And btw the most important part in any formula is the starting Qb. 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly I don't want to go and forth on this but I don't care what his agents asked  - I care about what he's worth.  And the market has dictated he was worth substantially less than $12mm.  Yet Mac paid it.  That's is folding to me. 

i think he is slotted at the 22nd highest paid starting QB this year. That is fair imo.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I disagree with that as well. I think 12 is right at the ceiling of what he's worth. 10-12 is about what he's worth given the market. 

And lets be honest, the Jets have a reputation of being "cheap". That stops with this signing and the Wilk signing

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think there'll be a lot apologists if the Jets stumble out of the gate. 

Now that Geno Smith won't be starting, no, there will be no apologists.  Strength of Schedule was just another crutch for Geno supporters to preemptively excuse his failings.

Fitz gets no such benefit, nor should he.  He's a #1 NFL QB, every game is hard, and playing hard teams (based on last years results) is no excuse for poor play.

Rich Cimini

Jets QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, speaking to ESPN by phone from a doctor's office as he waited to take his physical, said he expects to practice today. On the five-month contract dispute: "It definitely was a long process. After coming to the realization that it wasn't going to get done right away and that it was going to take some time, I tried my best to put it out of my mind and tried to live life normally. But it was hard with people coming up to me and asking about the contract, people texting me. It was hovering ... looming over my head for five months. In the end, I'm happy the way it turned out." He said he walked into last night's first team meeting "one second" before it started. He told Todd Bowles, "Sorry I'm late." He said some players seemed shocked to see him.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The ease of schedule was apparently not a reason Fitz had such a (relatively) good year last year, so a bad schedule shouldn't be an excuse this year. A one year deal screams win now/playoffs. I don't think there'll be a lot apologists if the Jets stumble out of the gate. 

To me it screams, a placeholder QB until Hack develops or we draft another. 

The win now aspect is strictly there to keep the fans and media happy. This is a team with no window.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Now that Geno Smith won't be starting, no, there will be no apologists.  Strength of Schedule was just another crutch for Geno supporters to preemptively excuse his failings.

Fitz gets no such benefit, nor should he.  He's a #1 NFL QB, every game is hard, and playing hard teams (based on last years results) is no excuse for poor play.

We'll see what happens. For now, you're speaking only for yourself. The gentleman I quoted was already lowering expectations for Fitz do to the strength of schedule. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If you acknowledge Fitz as being the team's starting Qb and he's off of a good year than 12 mil is below market. As for the 18 mil figure you would think the agent at this stage would know the Jets aren't going to pay that. It's an over the top figure. I really doubt the agent was really trying to get 18. Fitz is losing 3 mil in guaranteed money. But he's a FA in 2017 which is what he wanted. 

Archived