Fitzpatrick signed- 1 year 12 mill fully guaranteed

Matt39

2 minutes ago, slats said:

We'll see what happens. For now, you're speaking only for yourself. The gentleman I quoted was already lowering expectations for Fitz do to the strength of schedule. 

You misunderstand. I had lowered expectations for this season way before Fitz signed the deal. I personally dont think it would have mattered if Fitz or Geno was QBing this team. I don't think they are making the playoffs.

What this deal does is keep locker room unity, have a mentor in place for Hack, and give the impression that the Jets are not cheap

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

If you acknowledge Fitz as being the team's starting Qb and he's off of a good year than 12 mil is below market. As for the 18 mil figure you would think the agent at this stage would know the Jets aren't going to pay that. It's an over the top figure. I really doubt the agent was really trying to get 18. Fitz is losing 3 mil in guaranteed money. But he's a FA in 2017 which is what he wanted. 

I think the definition of "market" is where you and I (and I will admit, many others) ultimately disagree. 

To me, market is 1 dollar more than the next person is willing to pay - Capitalism. 

The idea of a salary slot based upon position and role feels Marxist to me.  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Great day for Jets and for all rational Jets fans. J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets!

Keep this stickied if by week 7 you all feel the same way I'll admit I'm wrong. And I 100% pulling for the Jets to win , have been doing so since the early 70's .

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree 100%, and I'm disappointed. He should've held firm to the three year deal. Fitz had no other options until Mac gave him one. Puts the Jets in a position next year where possibly Hackenberg is the only QB under contract.

If Fitz regresses like many here predict:  Why does it matter all that much to have Fitz locked up for a 2nd year?

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I think the definition of "market" is where you and I (and I will admit, many others) ultimately disagree. 

To me, market is 1 dollar more than the next person is willing to pay - Capitalism. 

Been that way for a long time

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If Fitz regresses like many here predict:  Why does it matter all that much to have Fitz locked up for a 2nd year?

That's why Fitz holding out actually saved the Jets.bacon

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, I've heard that argument for 7 months now. And to some degree current supply and demand ranks high. But in most industries it also depends on standards and average salaries. There are fewer starting Qb jobs than at other position. And this year there are basically none. All positions are filled. And players like Tannehill etc are on contracts. They were not going to cut these guys and lose guaranteed money they already paid. And Fitz is not an elite Qb and many of these guys are better Qbs than he is. The thing is he is a great fit here. And the 12 mil is a good deal for the Jets. They are only committed to one year. Actually they really wanted him here for 3. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  For months we were told by many here that Geno was going to be the guy and that the Jets should/were going to tell Fitz to f*ck off.  I like being right.  Geno is basically worthless in the eyes of this coaching staff.  Hence why Petty and Hackenberg were drafted in back to back years, and Fitz is now entering Year 2 as a starter. 

2.  QB is the most important position on the field.  I couldn't give 2 sh*ts what the rest of the NFL's fans think of the decision.  Like it or not, you have to support your QB when the season starts.  Otherwise what's the point?  Might as well basically skip the season.  Fitz is a likable guy, and his teammates like him far more than some of the dreary, whiny fans on this board. 

3.  You clearly don't have sour grapes about this at all.  Not even a little bit. 

1) You're still wrong.  Literally no one said the Jets were going to tell Fitz to f*ck off.  What rational people were saying was it was a waste of time to overpay this JAG who has proven he can't win games.  If Geno is considered "worthless" because of drafting QB's back to back what does that say about Fitz?  Along with the outright refusal to commit to him for another year.  

2) What are you 12 years old?  Of course every Jet fan supports their QB once the season starts (unless your a member of the Ilk).  Adults are able to compartmentalize their thoughts.  

3) Sour grapes?  I didn't even post for months in the endless Fitz threads.  Waste of time.  Doesn't take Adam Schefter to determine that this was going to get done at some point.  I'm just happy they didn't overcommit to this JAG in addition to overpaying for him.  

I was hopeful they would give a real chance to the younger, more athletic guy with an arm capable of exploiting other teams weaknesses.  In the end they pulled a Scotty McKnight and signed the guy that some star players liked.  Hey it is what it is..  We'll probably see Geno soon enough.  I think this signing also speaks to the teams unwillingness to have Petty and Hack as the only backups.

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

To me it screams, a placeholder QB until Hack develops or we draft another. 

The win now aspect is strictly there to keep the fans and media happy. This is a team with no window.

Disagree. You don't spend $12M on a placeholder. Geno Smith could've held a place. They spent that money to win now. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As I stated in the portion of the my post that you quoted, this leaves open the very real possibility that Hackenberg is the only QB under contract to open the 2017 offseason. Signing Fitz to the three year deal stabilized the QB position, this moves potentially creates more upheaval. 

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

Gonna be fun in a couple years when posters are still referring to Geno Smith as someone who was wronged.  good times ahead.

Oh he was 100% wronged.  But who cares.

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Gonna be fun in a couple years when posters are still referring to Geno Smith as someone who was wronged.  good times ahead.

Gonna be fun when future Jet fans stare at he Fitzpatrick statue in Florham park and say remind me again why did we build him a statue. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

As I stated in the portion of the my post that you quoted, this leaves open the very real possibility that Hackenberg is the only QB under contract to open the 2017 offseason. Signing Fitz to the three year deal stabilized the QB position, this moves potentially creates more upheaval. 

I understand, but I was thinking more along the lines of, if Fitz regresses, why would we WANT him back in 2017?  I guess with Marshall and Decker under contract thru 2017 that makes sense, but it would seem like the fans would prefer he gets run out of town if that happens.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

1) You're still wrong.  Literally no one said the Jets were going to tell Fitz to f*ck off.  What rational people were saying was it was a waste of time to overpay this JAG who has proven he can't win games.  If Geno is considered "worthless" because of drafting QB's back to back what does that say about Fitz?  Along with the outright refusal to commit to him for another year.  

2) What are you 12 years old?  Of course every Jet fan supports their QB once the season starts (unless your a member of the Ilk).  Adults are able to compartmentalize their thoughts.  

3) Sour grapes?  I didn't even post for months in the endless Fitz threads.  Waste of time.  Doesn't take Adam Schefter to determine that this was going to get done at some point.  I'm just happy they didn't overcommit to this JAG in addition to overpaying for him.  

I was hopeful they would give a real chance to the younger, more athletic guy with an arm capable of exploiting other teams weaknesses.  In the end they pulled a Scotty McKnight and signed the guy that some star players liked.  Hey it is what it is..  We'll probably see Geno soon enough.  I think this signing also speaks to the teams unwillingness to have Petty and Hack as the only backups.

I accept your apology, and it sounds like you're not mad whatsoever and don't care, so I admire you for that.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

In this inflated market, you do.

For real.  The last remaining QB who was a "cheap" starter was Nick Foles, and he just got cut.  Mark Sanchez is another guy you can include in that category, but the Broncos drafted a QB in round 1, so its hard to call him the "starter".  That's a different situation from Fitz, who is guaranteed to start every game in 2016 unless he gets hurt or his play dramatically declines (unlikely, he'll at least be decent).

If you're a starting QB in this league, either you make a ton of money as a QB OR you're still on your rookie deal.  There's no in between really.

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

lol

the market for a starting veteran QB not on his rookie deal goes from $11,600,000 to $30,000,000 and the jets paid $12,000,000

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Unfortunately you are wrong.  

The deal was for 3 years because they wanted him cheap in the 2nd and 3rd years.  Which made sense. It was always $12mm in year 1 (with $15mm guaranteed)  Nothing to do with Mo. Difference is the Jets don't have him locked up for $6mm per the next two   

Fitz publucally stated over a month ago that he would take a 1 year $12mm deal.  Mac folded here.  You may still like the deal and you can certainly have that opinion, but there's no way to look at other than Mac gave in to Fitz here. 

Not so.  The proposed deal was for three years so that the Jets could spread the 2016 dollars over a longer period of time. Maybe they were also trying to get Fitz to hang around as backup for $6 mill in 2017, but that was gravy.  When Fitz asked for a one year deal at $12, the Jets didn't/couldn't do it because they didn't have nearly enough cap room to do so.  After Mo, and a couple of unmentioned restructures, they now could do so.  The idea of having Fitz as a $6 million back up for 2017 was nice, but not the reason they couldn't come to terms.  Fitz was correct in rejecting that because he wants the chance to make more in 2017 elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For real.  The last remaining QB who was a "cheap" starter was Nick Foles, and he just got cut.  Mark Sanchez is another guy you can include in that category, but the Broncos drafted a QB in round 1, so its hard to call him the "starter".  That's a different situation from Fitz, who is guaranteed to start every game in 2016 unless he gets hurt or his play dramatically declines.

If you're a starting QB in this league, either you make a ton of money as a QB OR you're still on your rookie deal.  There's no in between really.

Foles is not a starting Qb he is garbage

58 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look, that 3 year deal was on the table for 7 months and he wouldn't sign it. And he stuck to his guns even though no market this year for starting Qbs. The Jets refused to budge on it until yesterday afternoon. It wasn't to spread around the cap money. They obviously figured that out. It was to keep him under contract on a backup deal just in case Hack was not ready to start. It was a bad contract for Fitz. They wanted him to be a starter in 2016 and then accept the backup role for '17 and '18. It was meant to be an insurance policy for Mac and Woody. I don't look at it as caving in. It was common sense. And in any negotiation there is supposed to be give and take not take it or leave it. The Jets couldn't get away with it, they wanted Fitz so they changed the offer and compromised. What they wanted was never a reasonable deal. This deal could have been struck a long time ago and none of this bad publicity and Qb controversy. I think (but don't know) that this was orchestrated by Woody and the reason they settled was because he gave the green light to Mac yesterday. 

I agree with this, but you are wrong to think that spreading out Fitz's cap hit was not part (or all) of the reason for the Jets stubbornness about 3 years. It definitely was a part of this.

"I'll tell you what. This whole process has been so long and hard and something I wouldn't wish upon anybody," Fitzpatrick told the New York Daily News. "But if there's a silver lining in it, at least for me, it's the respect and support that those guys showed for me throughout the process. It was huge. That's why you play the game. You play the game for your teammates, who really want to play with and for you. That was big for me. I felt like I had to get back for those guys. I'm glad that we're going to be able to get to work today."

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Not so.  The proposed deal was for three years so that the Jets could spread the 2016 dollars over a longer period of time. Maybe they were also trying to get Fitz to hang around as backup for $6 mill in 2017, but that was gravy.  When Fitz asked for a one year deal at $12, the Jets didn't/couldn't do it because they didn't have nearly enough cap room to do so.  After Mo, and a couple of unmentioned restructures, they now could do so.  The idea of having Fitz as a $6 million back up for 2017 was nice, but not the reason they couldn't come to terms.  Fitz was correct in rejecting that because he wants the chance to make more in 2017 elsewhere. 

They could always do it They just didn't want to. The cap issue was a non issue. They can figure it out and it's not that much money. If's also not just what's best for the FO. The best contracts are ones where both parties feel they got a good deal. Not one-sided. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My gawd.  Remember when we gave Sanchez a 2nd contract?  Holy sh*t. 

I love that Tannenbaum is in Miami doing similar damage there as he did here (Suh contract, for one).

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I understand, but I was thinking more along the lines of, if Fitz regresses, why would we WANT him back in 2017?  I guess with Marshall and Decker under contract thru 2017 that makes sense, but it would seem like the fans would prefer he gets run out of town if that happens.

He's a steady stopgap/backup. He'd have to have a terrible year to get the fans to turn on him under that three year deal, IMHO. 

There is no way to predict 2017. If the Jets win the SB Fitz will be back. And for a lot of money. If we go 8-8 he won't be back. Even if he played well. Let's see how it goes. I'm a lot more optimistic than I was yesterday. I think we are going with the Qb who gives us our best chance to win. And that's what you expect from the org. If it doesn't work out at least they tried. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

"I'll tell you what. This whole process has been so long and hard and something I wouldn't wish upon anybody," Fitzpatrick told the New York Daily News. "But if there's a silver lining in it, at least for me, it's the respect and support that those guys showed for me throughout the process. It was huge. That's why you play the game. You play the game for your teammates, who really want to play with and for you. That was big for me. I felt like I had to get back for those guys. I'm glad that we're going to be able to get to work today."

Yeah, okay, Ryan. You wouldn't wish upon someone being overpaid by 4 million dollars and being able to sit at home on the couch eating popcorn and watching Game of Thrones whilst your teammates sweat their asses off at organized team activities. He's really doing his teammates a favor, guise.

lol

Fitz should start a band and call it "The Bullsh*t and the Beard".

Well, it seems like it's been a very long time listening to the Smith Fans here, and of course this is a rough day for them.  But a great day for the Jets.

The FO basically caved on this, agreeing to what Fitz had asked for 3 months ago.  I understand those who say they had to do the Wilkerson deal first, but they did that and time went by before they (according to reports) made an ultimatum.

Heh.  Ultimatum?  Sign for the deal you proposed or else!  Some ultimatum.

I am a bit surprised the FO did not seem to try to get a middle ground discussed, at the least.  Why didn't they offer to include options for them to exercise for 17 and 18, at numbers higher than $6 mil per, but still below the $12 mil?  Imo that would have given the team more flexibility in those years, and as of today we still do not have a clear concept who the starting qb will be for 17.  They should have tried that before they made this last minute ultimatum that was really them agreeing to Fiiz's position.

I guess that is all big picture stuff and woulda shoulda coulda.  the Great News is that this means Smith will not be the starter, so at the least the Jets are going a route better than the worst one they otherwise seemed to be heading for. 

Rough day for Smith Fans, though. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

He's a steady stopgap/backup. He'd have to have a terrible year to get the fans to turn on him under that three year deal, IMHO. 

Oh I completely agree there.  But it would be a lot of money to be paying a backup if he were to be relegated to that role.  The other thought I had was, if he does have a bad year, he might be available cheaper next year.  But somehow I doubt that would happen, as neither side would really be happy about it. 

4 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I am a bit surprised the FO did not seem to try to get a middle ground discussed, at the least.  Why didn't they offer to include options for them to exercise for 17 and 18, at numbers higher than $6 mil per, but still below the $12 mil?  Imo that would have given the team more flexibility in those years, and as of today we still do not have a clear concept who the starting qb will be for 17.  They should have tried that before they made this last minute ultimatum that was really them agreeing to Fiiz's position.

My guess is that Fitz didn't want to give them the options for free and doesn't want to be paid less if he has another good year, while the front office does not have the trust in Geno to start.

I don't know what greater signal the front office and coaching staff could give that they do not have confidence in Geno as a starter to those who think Geno was ready to go but I'm sure they will find a way.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh I completely agree there.  But it would be a lot of money to be paying a backup if he were to be relegated to that role.  The other thought I had was, if he does have a bad year, he might be available cheaper next year.  But somehow I doubt that would happen, as neither side would really be happy about it. 

If he has a bad year why would you want him. And don't tell me to be a mentor. It's a ridiculous idea to pay anyone 6 mil to be a mentor when we have coaches etc for that. If 2016 is only fair or even worse than the Jets can move forward to Hack. Let him start his second season. As for backup we can get someone. It's no problem. 

Just now, rex-n-effect said:

My guess is that Fitz didn't want to give them the options for free and doesn't want to be paid less if he has another good year, while the front office does not have the trust in Geno to start.

I don't know what greater signal the front office and coaching staff could give that they do not have confidence in Geno as a starter to those who think Geno was ready to go but I'm sure they will find a way.

Several proposals have been leaked to the media, including a leak that the Jets and Fitz's agent had not been talking for months before this week.  I would like to think they at least tried to get the options.  But it doesn't sound like they did.

Archived