Fitzpatrick signed- 1 year 12 mill fully guaranteed

Matt39

40 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Gonna be fun when future Jet fans stare at he Fitzpatrick statue in Florham park and say remind me again why did we build him a statue. 

I will never understand why posters think this is a Fitz love thing, we only love Fitz because he rid us of Geno.   Fitz can be gone after this year and let the Hack years begin.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sticking point was never the money he would get in 2016.  It was a contract whose starting position was that the Jets wanted the right to demote him to backup AND..... wait for it... AND.... To pay him like a backup in years 2 and 3.  It was really a three year backup QB deal with a concession that he would be allowed to start in year-1.

No agent would ever agree to such a deal and ultimately the Jets had to back away from that.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  For months we were told by many here that Geno was going to be the guy and that the Jets should/were going to tell Fitz to f*ck off.  I like being right.  Geno is basically worthless in the eyes of this coaching staff.  Hence why Petty and Hackenberg were drafted in back to back years, and Fitz is now entering Year 2 as a starter. 

2.  QB is the most important position on the field.  I couldn't give 2 sh*ts what the rest of the NFL's fans think of the decision.  Like it or not, you have to support your QB when the season starts.  Otherwise what's the point?  Might as well basically skip the season.  Fitz is a likable guy, and his teammates like him far more than some of the dreary, whiny fans on this board. 

3.  You clearly don't have sour grapes about this at all.  Not even a little bit. 

I don't think it's football related. I sense that there's an overlying level of stress on him that if things go a certain direction nationally in a few months, and a wall is erected, he's got much bigger issues than the season depression of being an Upstate NY Jets fan.

10 hours ago, Pac said:

The gloating going on in this thread is cringe worthy.  Guys are acting like YA Tiddle just entered the building when in reality they overpaid a JAG no one wanted, and were clearly uncomfortable committing to beyond 16'. 

I'd say 15% of NFL fans even knew about this staring contest and they, like every other NFL fan, couldn't care less. 

You'd prefer Geno? Or just rather be "right" at the expense of having a decent season? Ugh.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Keep this stickied if by week 7 you all feel the same way I'll admit I'm wrong. And I 100% pulling for the Jets to win , have been doing so since the early 70's .

why 7 games? because it fits you narrative and happens to be the tougher part of the schedule? lets revisit this conversation when week 17 is over. its a 1 year contract. not a 7 game contract

4 hours ago, Mecca said:

I will give credit to Macc for putting a deadline on this mess. Once he saw Foles was available, he was ready to move on. As soon as Fitz got word of his lost leverage he flew to the facility. My concerns remain with his health, age, and difference in schedule, but at the very least I look forward to his locker room presence and ability to help this roster believe we can be a contender.

or fitz flew to the facility because mac raised his offer to what Fitzpatrick wanted

10 hours ago, Pac said:

The gloating going on in this thread is cringe worthy.  Guys are acting like YA Tiddle just entered the building when in reality they overpaid a JAG no one wanted, and were clearly uncomfortable committing to beyond 16'. 

I'd say 15% of NFL fans even knew about this staring contest and they, like every other NFL fan, couldn't care less. 

The Jets wanted a bridge to their future and they were trying to be just a little too cute about it.  They wanted both a bridge and a lengthy off-ramp to boot.   Come be our starter in 2016 but... take a seat behind Petty or Hackenberg in 2017 and 2018,,, Oh, and by the way if neither of those two are ready to start we might think about making you the starter again in those years too.

They now have their bridge but they did not get the custom off-ramp that they were looking for on the far side.

Nobody thinks we got Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady here.  Or even YA Tittle for that matter.  What they think they got was a mid-pack QB in place of a bottom-3 QB.  Period.  End of story.  Nobody is thrilled about Fitzpatrick.  What they are thrilled about is an upgrade over Geno Smioth.  What this means is that either the front office does not believe that Geno has improved at all from where he was at a year ago or they are simply not willing to take that risk of Geno Smith starting when the downside of being wrong would be scorching criticism from the NY media.

Geno supporters earned every piece of the somewhat muted gloating that has been going on in this thread.  I am actually shocked at how restrained it has been.  That probably says more about which side of this argument was behaving with more maturity all along.

14 minutes ago, ylekram said:

why 7 games? because it fits you narrative and happens to be the tougher part of the schedule? lets revisit this conversation when week 17 is over. its a 1 year contract. not a 7 game contract

Exactly, the tougher part of the schedule you know the opponents that Fitzptrick led teams do so very well against - NOT 

4 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Rational?  meaning our favorite team just signed a 34 year old career journeyman who's won 6.6 out of 16 games he's started in this league to a 12mil deal?  Yeah rational.

Look, I root for the laundry, and I hopee he wins me a superbowl,  but please let's be rational. 

No worries, obviously my post wasn't directed at you.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Keep this stickied if by week 7 you all feel the same way I'll admit I'm wrong. And I 100% pulling for the Jets to win , have been doing so since the early 70's .

The measure being what? Whether Fitz is better than any other available option? That's already been proven. You can't just make up a measuring stick. Fitz was best available and now we have him. What's there to sticky and admit to by week 7?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I understand, but I was thinking more along the lines of, if Fitz regresses, why would we WANT him back in 2017?  I guess with Marshall and Decker under contract thru 2017 that makes sense, but it would seem like the fans would prefer he gets run out of town if that happens.

Genoids: "Fitz stinks." Backup argument: "Dumb Jets don't have him under contract after this season in case he doesn't stink."

13 minutes ago, ylekram said:

ya, the jets are rolling with hamburger:D

About time we aren't rolling with chum.

52 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The sticking point was never the money he would get in 2016.  It was a contract whose starting position was that the Jets wanted the right to demote him to backup AND..... wait for it... AND.... To pay him like a backup in years 2 and 3.  It was really a three year backup QB deal with a concession that he would be allowed to start in year-1.

No agent would ever agree to such a deal and ultimately the Jets had to back away from that.

Yeah, but it took them nearly seven months to do that. 

I am happy the FO was able to reach a deal with Fitz.  But it shouldn't have taken so long, and I still think they should have been able to come to agreement on a flexible arrangement addressing 17 at the least, or even 18. 

2 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

That may be true.

But Fitz just stared down the Jets with absolutely no negotiating leverage other than the fact that Geno Smith sucks.

And he won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lotta internet tough guys wannabe negotiators on this board. 

When two sides make a deal, they both (at the time, at least) think it's in their interest. Who cares who "won" or thinks they "won"? Sounds like a stubborn way to run a team into the ground. Both sides agreed to this.

10 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

Geno sucks.

That's the convenient thing about Geno being on the bench... Easy for his "fans" (there must be more fans of famine or genital herpes than of Geno) to just hypothesize anything they want to "argue" that Geno would've outperformed Fitz.

11 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The Jets wanted a bridge to their future and they were trying to be just a little too cute about it.  They wanted both a bridge and a lengthy off-ramp to boot.   Come be our starter in 2016 but... take a seat behind Petty or Hackenberg in 2017 and 2018,,, Oh, and by the way if neither of those two are ready to start we might think about making you the starter again in those years too.

They now have their bridge but they did not get the custom off-ramp that they were looking for on the far side.

Nobody thinks we got Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady here.  Or even YA Tittle for that matter.  What they think they got was a mid-pack QB in place of a bottom-3 QB.  Period.  End of story.  Nobody is thrilled about Fitzpatrick.  What they are thrilled about is an upgrade over Geno Smioth.  What this means is that either the front office does not believe that Geno has improved at all from where he was at a year ago or they are simply not willing to take that risk of Geno Smith starting when the downside of being wrong would be scorching criticism from the NY media.

Geno supporters earned every piece of the somewhat muted gloating that has been going on in this thread.  I am actually shocked at how restrained it has been.  That probably says more about which side of this argument was behaving with more maturity all along.

Uh huh.. I've read the posts bro..  Try to push the Fitz Fanatics/maturity jazz to someone who wasn't paying attention.

Bottom line is I don't share your opinion about Geno being a bottom 3 QB.  It's nonsense.  Unlike Fitz we don't know what we have in Geno when surrounded by a real offense and coordinator.

Hey if a bunch of meatheads want to bask in the glory of our so-so QB then more power to them.  I was hoping for the chance we could catch lightning in a bottle instead of a guarantee of lousy to serviceable play.

4 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

That may be true.

But Fitz just stared down the Jets with absolutely no negotiating leverage other than the fact that Geno Smith sucks.

And he won.

That is a lot of leverage though, Geno sucks, the team is vet laden and almost made the playoffs last year, almost to a man the team wanted this guy as QB. 

Just now, Pac said:

Uh huh.. I've read the posts bro..  Try to push the Fitz Fanatics/maturity jazz to someone who wasn't paying attention.

Bottom line is I don't share your opinion about Geno being a bottom 3 QB.  It's nonsense.  Unlike Fitz we don't know what we have in Geno when surrounded by a real offense and coordinator.

Hey if a bunch of meatheads want to bask in the glory of our so-so QB then more power to them.  I was hoping for the chance we could catch lightning in a bottle instead of a guarantee of lousy to serviceable play.

"Fitz threw 3 picks in the 2nd half of the Buffalo game last year, verdict is in he sucks!"

"Geno has been horrific for 3 years, on and off the field, but we don't know what we have in him, yet."

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Dude, how long have you been following the Jets? A so-so QB is a reason to bask.

Incidentally, he had a top 2 offensive season in Jets history. So yeah, forgive us meatheads for being happy about him coming back. What fools we are.

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Exactly, the tougher part of the schedule you know the opponents that Fitzptrick led teams do so very well against - NOT 

like I said, lets see where we are at in week 17. the only true measure

Lotta internet tough guys wannabe negotiators on this board. 

When two sides make a deal, they both (at the time, at least) think it's in their interest. Who cares who "won" or thinks they "won"? Sounds like a stubborn way to run a team into the ground. Both sides agreed to this.

Correct.

And, the common ground they found is that Geno sucks.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it tough guy.

Just now, jfmckenna said:

Correct.

And, the common ground they found is that Geno sucks.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it tough guy.

uh what are we debating? 

11 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

That may be true.

And he won.

the truth. geno was always fitzpatricks ace in the hole. he didn't bet on himself, he bet against geno

11 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

That may be true.

And he won.

Which means what ultimately to us as Jet fans. That we're all joyus and happy that Fitz potentially sucks less Geno . We didn't sign a HOF QB we signed a guy who's never been to the playoffs in 11 years and has had only one winning season - yeah let's start planning the ticker tape parade now. 

Which means what ultimately to us as Jet fans. That we're all joyus and happy that Fitz potentially sucks less Geno . We didn't sign a HOF QB we signed a guy who's never been to the playoffs in 11 years and has had only one winning season - yeah let's start planning the ticker tape parade now. 

Who said anything about a ticker tape parade?

The only people I ever saw talking anything like that are Geno fanboys.

Bottom line is that Geno sucks.

Just now, jfmckenna said:

Who said anything about a ticker tape parade?

The only people I ever saw talking anything like that are Geno fanboys.

Bottom line is that Geno sucks.

So in your mind we replaced a Yugo with a Dodge Dart - woohoo happy days 

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

There seems to be such a fallacy on these forums with the totally baseless assumption that becasue some people prefer Ftizpatrick over Geno in the short term that playoffs and sup bowls are expected.  The offense was good last year and the team was fun to watch, we have a couple new young Qb's that could stand to learn from a pro that gets along with team mates. 

Almost without exception people that support the Fitz re upping are realistic about his upside and length of time he will be here.  I'd also say that most of these same people would be happy as clams to get a new Qb in the starters roll better than Fitzpatrick.

The least excited people that Fitz is back:  Most Jets fans + Geno Smith.

More excited than the fans that Fitz is back, but more or less "neutral" and businesslike about it:  The Jets Front Office and Coaching Staff.

The most excited that Fitz is back, by a large margin:  The entire Jets offense.

Yeah, I'll side with the latter 2 of that group here.

Archived