How would you split pre-season reps between QB's

AFJF

Curious to see how people feel the QB's should be handled.  Was gonna' do a poll but there are a million different scenarios.

What we know:

- Fitz is the starter

- Geno has played in 29 career games  so CS has game film and last year's practice film to evaluate

- Petty was cheapest in terms of draft slot and salary, team has one year of limited practice film and his pre-season reps to evaluate.

- Hack was a second round pick, no NFL reps, only season of pro-style offense was three years ago likely the CS first choice for QB of the future.

How would you break down the reps/playing time in PS games?

Fitz gets all the starter reps. He's been anointed the starter so he should get to run through a complete TC as the starter. 

Geno needs reps if he is the presumptive backup so he has some level of preparation if he needs to come into a game but I'd like to see both Petty and Hackenberg get plenty of reps with the 2s so they coaching staff can take a good look at them. 

Game #1                 Game #2                  Game #3                  Game #4

Fitz 1st quarter         Same as game #1    Fitz 1st half             Fitz 2 series

Geno 2nd quarter                                     Geno 3rd quarter     Geno rest of  1st half

Petty 3rd quarter                                       Hack 4th quarter      Petty 3rd quarter

Hack 4th quarter.                                       needs the work.       Hack 4th quarter

Fitz works with starters, #2's. 

Geno works with #2's, starters. 

Petty and Hack largely split reps with the rest. 

I'd expect Petty to see a good amount time in the preseason, with Hack potentially seeing very little. Petty getting long looks in games 1, 2, & 4. Fitz playing into the opening series after the half in game 3, with Geno going most of the rest of the way. Fitz and Geno sitting out game 4, unless one of them shows they still need work. Hackenberg (auto-correct thinks I mean Hacked egg) getting a decent amount of garbage time in garbage game 4. 

Petty moves up in workload if he earns it in practice, and/or Geno stinks it up. They'll do most of their evaluation of him in the preseason games, though. 

Fitz gets 2/3 snaps with the starters Geno gets 1/3 reps with them and hopefully they can continue pushing eachother...Fitz was already named the starter but if he goes down with an injury Geno is the next man up it would be in our interest for him to build some chemistry with the starters just in case.

Hack and Petty split reps with our second team and let them battle it out...that Jalin Marshal kid has been doing good in training camp and i know alot of people would disagree but i think that they should keep him away from our starters for now and let him work with petty and hack...if one of them is going to get a shot at being the future of our franchise it would be good for them to start building chemistry with our young recievers if it were me and devin smith were healthy i would rotate him in with petty and hack also.

Fitz and Hack's roster spots are guaranteed. With that said, the only question regarding QB's is who will be 2nd string? After Fitz obviously, The reps should be split between Bryce Petty and Geno, the CS needs to hope they can see enough from Bryce Petty because going into the regular season with 4 QB's is not feasible IMO.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

Fitz and Hack's roster spots are guaranteed. With that said, the only question regarding QB's is who will be 2nd string? After Fitz obviously, The reps should be split between Bryce Petty and Geno, the CS needs to hope they can see enough from Bryce Petty because going into the regular season with 4 QB's is not feasible IMO.

Geno is going to be our backup QB...that is a nobrainer...going into the regular season with 4 QBs is not ideal no but going in with a young project who maybe might develop into a reasonable backup at some point down the line as your #2 isnt going to happen and cutting a 4th round project going into second season because he hasnt yet developed would be silly too. If one of our qbs ends up getting injured in training camp and ends up on the IR we wont have to carry 4 qbs though...That is probably how the patriots would handle this situation.

31 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

petty really needs the work.  he probably won't see action during the regular season again.  if the goal is for petty to at least be the backup next year they have to give him a lot of reps.  it's less important for hack this preseason.

Madden 17 is coming out in a month. I'm not too concerned about Petty. 

5 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Geno is going to be our backup QB...that is a nobrainer...going into the regular season with 4 QBs is not ideal no but going in with a young project who maybe might develop into a reasonable backup at some point down the line as your #2 isnt going to happen and cutting a 4th round project going into second season because he hasnt yet developed would be silly too. If one of our qbs ends up getting injured in training camp and ends up on the IR we wont have to carry 4 qbs though...That is probably how the patriots would handle this situation.

That's not what I'm saying. I do not believe Petty should win the number 2 role unless he shows it on the field and in preseason games. That's the only fair way of doing things. As much as I dislike Geno, I do want a fair and impartial contest for the 2nd string job.

Now, I can't necessarily argue with you saying Geno will be the 2nd stringer. I haven't seen enough of Bryce Petty to say. Really I am just relying on what Petty looked like in OTA's - not so good. But this is why I believe Bowles really has to focus on getting Petty a lot of work. The front office has ZERO loyalty to Geno, or at least they shouldn't. Mac/Bowles very much want to keep Fitz, Petty, and Hack and that leaves Geno based on his rather sketchy past, that I'm sure the CS will want to cut.

14 minutes ago, aec4 said:

Cutting geno would make this much easier.  

I agree, but it is also NOT necessarily the right thing to do for the welfare/competitiveness of the team. I hate Geno. I want nothing more than to see him off the team. I think he's a creep that rubs his teammates the wrong way. But as of this particular moment, he is the best QB on the roster not named Ryan Fitzpatrick. So really the CS needs to see what Petty is made of. Because if they can justify Petty becoming the number 2 based on his play on the field. then the easiest decision would also be the fair one.

28 minutes ago, aec4 said:

Cutting geno would make this much easier.  

how do you cut the only QB on our roster other than the starter to have ever taken a snap in an NFL game (who is also getting paid next to nothing as he is still on his rookie contract) and is arguably having a better showing in training camp than our starter? If our front office were stupid enough to cut Geno he would end up tearing it up the first 4 games of the season for the Patriots and everyone in the cut Geno fanclub would instantly talk about what a stupid move it was to let him go. The kid may not be our future but cutting him wouldnt help anything this season.

It would be risky to go with two inexperienced as backups so Geno seems safe-Petty gets  added reps to see how far he needs to go in his progression

Hack mostly is just going to watch

1 hour ago, Bocajetfan said:

Game #1                 Game #2                  Game #3                  Game #4

Fitz 1st quarter         Same as game #1    Fitz 1st half             Fitz 2 series

Geno 2nd quarter                                     Geno 3rd quarter     Geno rest of  1st half

Petty 3rd quarter                                       Hack 4th quarter      Petty 3rd quarter

Hack 4th quarter.                                       needs the work.       Hack 4th quarter

I like this, but I'd dial back Fit's time a bit:

Game #1                                               Game #2                             Game #3                                                                                         Game #4

Fitz for one or two series                     Fitz first quarter                  Fitz pulled after first series of 2nd half                                          Fitz- first seris

Geno- rest of first half                           Geno second quarter         Geno 3rd quarter                                                                          Geno/best performer rest of half   

Petty- 3rd quarter                                 Hack 3rd quarter                Hack or Petty get full 4th quarter based on who's playing best     Split 2nd half between two who didn't play 1st

Hack 4th quarter                                  Petty 4th quarter

Hopefully Geno can get some quality starting time during the preseason, and if he plays well we can trade him. It's a waste of time for both sides at this point and in all reality there's nothing that will be acknowledged as positive from Geno Smith in a Jets uniform. 

Fitz doesnt need that many reps. Might as well have Petty or Hack be the #2 and the Jets save themselves from the possibility of losing Petty via waivers before placing him on the practice squad. 

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

I agree, but it is also NOT necessarily the right thing to do for the welfare/competitiveness of the team. I hate Geno. I want nothing more than to see him off the team. I think he's a creep that rubs his teammates the wrong way. But as of this particular moment, he is the best QB on the roster not named Ryan Fitzpatrick. So really the CS needs to see what Petty is made of. Because if they can justify Petty becoming the number 2 based on his play on the field. then the easiest decision would also be the fair one.

I don't agree.  Or maybe more accurately said, if he plays we aren't winning so we may as well get the young guys reps

Fitz is the starter so he'll get 70-80% of the heavy lifting, with Geno getting some prep time in between, when he's not running the 2s... Hack won't see too much preseason action, he's basically getting redshirted. Petty will get scraps, before he too is scrapped at the end of August. 

It's OK to let go. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

how do you cut the only QB on our roster other than the starter to have ever taken a snap in an NFL game (who is also getting paid next to nothing as he is still on his rookie contract) and is arguably having a better showing in training camp than our starter? If our front office were stupid enough to cut Geno he would end up tearing it up the first 4 games of the season for the Patriots and everyone in the cut Geno fanclub would instantly talk about what a stupid move it was to let him go. The kid may not be our future but cutting him wouldnt help anything this season.

Selecting a backup that has never taken an NFL snap happens all the time. It's common in the NFL. It is most common to select a backup that is a veteran when you have a youngster starting. But when your starter is going into his 12th season in the league, your backup can easily be a guy with zero NFL in game experience. 

48 minutes ago, aec4 said:

I don't agree.  Or maybe more accurately said, if he plays we aren't winning so we may as well get the young guys reps

Well, that's a different conversation and really one I hope we never have....

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

That's not what I'm saying. I do not believe Petty should win the number 2 role unless he shows it on the field and in preseason games. That's the only fair way of doing things. As much as I dislike Geno, I do want a fair and impartial contest for the 2nd string job.

Now, I can't necessarily argue with you saying Geno will be the 2nd stringer. I haven't seen enough of Bryce Petty to say. Really I am just relying on what Petty looked like in OTA's - not so good. But this is why I believe Bowles really has to focus on getting Petty a lot of work. The front office has ZERO loyalty to Geno, or at least they shouldn't. Mac/Bowles very much want to keep Fitz, Petty, and Hack and that leaves Geno based on his rather sketchy past, that I'm sure the CS will want to cut.

Geno is easily the best QB behind Fitz and if given a fair shot at the starting spot would probably beat Fitz out. He's already shown that he has grown and improved since last offseason, when he did beat out Fitz. Forget about all of this 'Jets have no loyalty to Geno Smith', that's irrelevant. If Geno is the better QB and comes at a bargain price, which he is, they're not gonna get rid of him just because they weren't the ones who drafted him.

With Fitz and Geno being the clear 1 and 2 and Hack having his spot on the roster secured, the focus will be on how the Jets evaluate Petty. He's not a kid with as much potential as some make it seem, theres a reason he was drafted in the 4th and not in the 1st, and its not b/c he came from a spread system. So if the Jets feel like he is not worth the extra roster spot, they will cut him.

But the thing is, he IS worth the extra roster spot. I really don't think its that crazy for the Jets to carry 4 QBs into the season. Its very much 'feasible' and I guess that's where we disagree.

If we cut Geno and Fitz gets hurt early, the Jets season is done, IMO. I don't know about the Jets but I have very little faith in Petty or Hack stepping in and saving the season. Geno on the other hand is PRIMED for a good season. It's very possible (likely) that if Fitz gets hurt early and the Jets end up keeping Geno, Geno will take hold of the starting gig and have a breakout season. 

I'd like to see what Hack can do. And if he is going to be our future starter he has to get some playing time in pre-season. Esp that last game which means nothing maybe give it over to Hack and to Petty. Both a half. As for the earlier games the majority to Geno. I don't believe in playing my starting Qb too much in exhibition games where he can get injured. Plus Geno needs the work. 

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Geno is easily the best QB behind Fitz and if given a fair shot at the starting spot would probably beat Fitz out. He's already shown that he has grown and improved since last offseason, when he did beat out Fitz. Forget about all of this 'Jets have no loyalty to Geno Smith', that's irrelevant. If Geno is the better QB and comes at a bargain price, which he is, they're not gonna get rid of him just because they weren't the ones who drafted him.

With Fitz and Geno being the clear 1 and 2 and Hack having his spot on the roster secured, the focus will be on how the Jets evaluate Petty. He's not a kid with as much potential as some make it seem, theres a reason he was drafted in the 4th and not in the 1st, and its not b/c he came from a spread system. So if the Jets feel like he is not worth the extra roster spot, they will cut him.

But the thing is, he IS worth the extra roster spot. I really don't think its that crazy for the Jets to carry 4 QBs into the season. Its very much 'feasible' and I guess that's where we disagree.

If we cut Geno and Fitz gets hurt early, the Jets season is done, IMO. I don't know about the Jets but I have very little faith in Petty or Hack stepping in and saving the season. Geno on the other hand is PRIMED for a good season. It's very possible (likely) that if Fitz gets hurt early and the Jets end up keeping Geno, Geno will take hold of the starting gig and have a breakout season. 

Your missing one point here......He had a chance last season and he pissed it away. HE did it. The Jets did NOTHING to him other than to encourage him to play well. The fans did NOTHING to him other than to hope he could be a great QB that the fans so desperately want.

You obviously think that getting into an altercation with a teammate is irrelevant and something that was out of his control I guess??

I wholeheartedly disagree. Being a QB in the NFL constitutes being a leader of men, whether you agree with it or not, it goes with the job description.So he had his chance and he failed. It's HIS fault and no one else's.

The CS most likely feels the same way as they signed and named Fitz as the starter. And even then, stop sulking and making excuses for Geno. Geno will get his chance to play in practice and in preseason games and if he's as good as you claim he is, he will inevitably rise to the top.

I personally say, FAT CHANCE. I am honestly trying to contain my laughter when you post stuff like this. Geno is NOTHING in comparison to Fitz.

18 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Your missing one point here......He had a chance last season and he pissed it away. HE did it. The Jets did NOTHING to him other than to encourage him to play well. The fans did NOTHING to him other than to hope he could be a great QB that the fans so desperately want.

You obviously think that getting into an altercation with a teammate is irrelevant and something that was out of his control I guess??

I wholeheartedly disagree. Being a QB in the NFL constitutes being a leader of men, whether you agree with it or not, it goes with the job description.So he had his chance and he failed. It's HIS fault and no one else's.

The CS most likely feels the same way as they signed and named Fitz as the starter. And even then, stop sulking and making excuses for Geno. Geno will get his chance to play in practice and in preseason games and if he's as good as you claim he is, he will inevitably rise to the top.

I personally say, FAT CHANCE. I am honestly trying to contain my laughter when you post stuff like this. Geno is NOTHING in comparison to Fitz.

Geno got to play what half of one game where he was still rusty last season? going into the start of last season Geno was the clear cut starter with Fitz as his backup. Im not going to say Fitz or Geno is the better QB they have two very different skillsets and quite honestly neither one is going to be the league mvp...They are both playing well in training camp thus far and are both leaps ahead of where Petty and Hack are at the moment (It is okay that petty and hack are behind they are both young projects and that is to be expected) Geno is not getting cut and we are not going to throw a young project QB into the fire and ruin him before his career can even start...you can probably quit the trolling and go back to your patriots website where everyone is dumb enough to agree with you.

Fitz gets 75% of first team reps, Geno 20% and Petty 5%, we cannot expect Fitz to play all 16 games and the Jets will want to showcase Geno for potential trades or a contract offer that yields a comp pick in 2018, Petty is playing for a roster spot

Petty gets 60% of second team reps, Geno 25%,  Hack 15% 

Hack needs to hold a clipboard and focus on fundamentals, can't fix 3 years of bad QB play in the Big Ten in one camp

In terms of reps as usual the majority to the starter, Fitz. But I don't agree with teams not giving the no. 2 reps in practice including during the regular season. Some teams have gone away from that not sure about the Jets. It makes sense to me that the backup be ready to play esp with so many Qb injuries in the NFL. As for percentages not sure maybe 70=30 during the regular season. During training camp there are more bodies etc. so more practice time for each guy. 

5 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Game #4 neither Fitz nor Geno will play.

12 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Geno got to play what half of one game where he was still rusty last season? going into the start of last season Geno was the clear cut starter with Fitz as his backup. Im not going to say Fitz or Geno is the better QB they have two very different skillsets and quite honestly neither one is going to be the league mvp...They are both playing well in training camp thus far and are both leaps ahead of where Petty and Hack are at the moment (It is okay that petty and hack are behind they are both young projects and that is to be expected) Geno is not getting cut and we are not going to throw a young project QB into the fire and ruin him before his career can even start...you can probably quit the trolling and go back to your patriots website where everyone is dumb enough to agree with you.

I get where you're coming from, I do. However, I chalk Geno's bad game last year the same as when Vick wasn't ready to play that game in San Diego, I think it was, 2 years ago.  In this league you better be ready to go at a moment's notice. Geno wasn't ready that day. It said a lot, to me anyway.

I get where you're coming from, I do. However, I chalk Geno's bad game last year the same as when Vick wasn't ready to play that game in San Diego, I think it was, 2 years ago.  In this league you better be ready to go at a moment's notice. Geno wasn't ready that day. It said a lot, to me anyway.

He didn't look ready to go but when Vick came in he blatantly said he hadnt been studying the playbook...I think genos didn't get enough reps in practices because of that whole broken jaw thing and that was his problem.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived