How would you split pre-season reps between QB's

AFJF

19 hours ago, PepPep said:

Geno is easily the best QB behind Fitz and if given a fair shot at the starting spot would probably beat Fitz out. He's already shown that he has grown and improved since last offseason, when he did beat out Fitz. Forget about all of this 'Jets have no loyalty to Geno Smith', that's irrelevant. If Geno is the better QB and comes at a bargain price, which he is, they're not gonna get rid of him just because they weren't the ones who drafted him.

With Fitz and Geno being the clear 1 and 2 and Hack having his spot on the roster secured, the focus will be on how the Jets evaluate Petty. He's not a kid with as much potential as some make it seem, theres a reason he was drafted in the 4th and not in the 1st, and its not b/c he came from a spread system. So if the Jets feel like he is not worth the extra roster spot, they will cut him.

But the thing is, he IS worth the extra roster spot. I really don't think its that crazy for the Jets to carry 4 QBs into the season. Its very much 'feasible' and I guess that's where we disagree.

If we cut Geno and Fitz gets hurt early, the Jets season is done, IMO. I don't know about the Jets but I have very little faith in Petty or Hack stepping in and saving the season. Geno on the other hand is PRIMED for a good season. It's very possible (likely) that if Fitz gets hurt early and the Jets end up keeping Geno, Geno will take hold of the starting gig and have a breakout season. 

There is no way geno beats out Fitz.  He may look good on the practice field playing against "air" but as soon as he can be hit, be buckles.  He's also easily confused and locks in on 1 guy. 

Fitzpatrick and Smith get normal starter/backup practice reps. Two series each and done in games. There should probably be a retread 2/3 guy but Smith is such a blowout risk we'd still primarily be concerned with not getting said retread injured. Even talking about Petty and Hackenberg is a complete waste of time.

18 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Geno got to play what half of one game where he was still rusty last season? going into the start of last season Geno was the clear cut starter with Fitz as his backup. Im not going to say Fitz or Geno is the better QB they have two very different skillsets and quite honestly neither one is going to be the league mvp...They are both playing well in training camp thus far and are both leaps ahead of where Petty and Hack are at the moment (It is okay that petty and hack are behind they are both young projects and that is to be expected) Geno is not getting cut and we are not going to throw a young project QB into the fire and ruin him before his career can even start...you can probably quit the trolling and go back to your patriots website where everyone is dumb enough to agree with you.

God, you Geno lovers are predictable.  BS excuses, 100% BS excuses. Geno rides the short bus and everyone knows it.

19 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Your missing one point here......He had a chance last season and he pissed it away. HE did it. The Jets did NOTHING to him other than to encourage him to play well. The fans did NOTHING to him other than to hope he could be a great QB that the fans so desperately want.

You obviously think that getting into an altercation with a teammate is irrelevant and something that was out of his control I guess??

I wholeheartedly disagree. Being a QB in the NFL constitutes being a leader of men, whether you agree with it or not, it goes with the job description.So he had his chance and he failed. It's HIS fault and no one else's.

The CS most likely feels the same way as they signed and named Fitz as the starter. And even then, stop sulking and making excuses for Geno. Geno will get his chance to play in practice and in preseason games and if he's as good as you claim he is, he will inevitably rise to the top.

I personally say, FAT CHANCE. I am honestly trying to contain my laughter when you post stuff like this. Geno is NOTHING in comparison to Fitz.

No one wants to follow Geno into battle.  That's his biggest obstacle and he brought it upon himself. 

23 hours ago, AFJF said:

Curious to see how people feel the QB's should be handled.  Was gonna' do a poll but there are a million different scenarios.

What we know:

- Fitz is the starter

- Geno has played in 29 career games  so CS has game film and last year's practice film to evaluate

- Petty was cheapest in terms of draft slot and salary, team has one year of limited practice film and his pre-season reps to evaluate.

- Hack was a second round pick, no NFL reps, only season of pro-style offense was three years ago likely the CS first choice for QB of the future.

How would you break down the reps/playing time in PS games?

Fitz 70% (as starter).

Petty 10%, Hack 10%, Geno 10% to determine this years #2

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fitz 70% (as starter).

Petty 10%, Hack 10%, Geno 10% to determine this years #2

I feel like 70% is a lot of reps for pre-season games, especially given the fact that game one is usually a series or two and game 4 is usually the same (if that).  That means he hits 50% if he plays almost all of games 2 and 3 which won't happen.

Maybe some folks missed where I said "PS games" and are thinking percentage of reps throughout camp?

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I feel like 70% is a lot of reps for pre-season games, especially given the fact that game one is usually a series or two and game 4 is usually the same (if that).  That means he hits 50% if he plays almost all of games 2 and 3 which won't happen.

Maybe some folks missed where I said "PS games" and are thinking percentage of reps throughout camp?

Practice Reps, sorry.

Pre-Season play (IMO) should be:  

Fitz starts (1 Qtr Game 1, 2 Qtr Game 2, 3 Qtr Game 3, 1 Possession Game 4)

Petty 1 Qtr Game 1, 1 Qtr Game 2, 1/2 Qtr Game 3, 1-1/2 Qtr Game 4

Geno 1 Qtr Game 1, 1 Qtr Game 2, 1/2 Qtr Game 3, 1-1/2 Qtr Game 4

Hack 1 Qtr Game 1,   1 Qtr Game 4

Either Geno or Petty are cut at Preseasons end based on play (likely Petty).  If Petty can bs PS, that's fine too.

Just now, Warfish said:

Practice Reps, sorry.

Pre-Season play (IMO) should be:  

Fitz starts (1 Qtr Game 1, 2 Qtr Game 2, 3 Qtr Game 3, 1 Possession Game 4)

Petty 1 Qtr Game 1, 1 Qtr Game 2, 1 Qtr Game 3, 2 Qtr Game 4

Geno 1 Qtr Game 1, 1/2 Qtr Game 2, 1 Qtr Game 4

Hack 1 Qtr Game 1,  1/2 Qtr Game 2, 1 Qtr Game 4

Figured as much...seeing a lot of people replying with very high numbers that a starting QB wouldn't see.  Easy mistake to make.

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Figured as much...seeing a lot of people replying with very high numbers that a starting QB wouldn't see.  Easy mistake to make.

I was thinking practice time as well, I would split preseason games 

1 - Jags - Fitz Q1, Geno Q2 and 2 series in Q3, Petty finishes Q3 and plays Q4 depending on performance, Hack gets a series or two

2 - Skins - Fitz Q1, and 2 series in Q2, Petty finishes Q2 (need to see him vs starters), Geno starts 2nd half, Hack finishes game 

3 - VaGiants - Fitz Q1, Q2 and 2 series in Q3, Geno finishes Q3 and starts Q4, #3 (Hack/Petty) finishes game  

4 - Iggles - Starters sit - Geno plays 1 series, Petty and Hack finish game (assuming they are all still on the roster)

I would have never resigned Fitzpatrick and instead work on developing 3 young  Qbs  who may offer the future that Fitzpatrick clearly don't .  This Franchise had to wait for Ferguson to retire on them before cutting a player who clearly had lost what ability he had . We are the Jets, always 1 yr too early and 2 yrs too late .

10 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I would have never resigned Fitzpatrick and instead work on developing 3 young  Qbs  who may offer the future that Fitzpatrick clearly don't .  This Franchise had to wait for Ferguson to retire on them before cutting a player who clearly had lost what ability he had . We are the Jets, always 1 yr too early and 2 yrs too late .

I understand the always look to the future mentality but this team is in win now mode. When/if one of the 3 young QBs develops, we likely won't have revis, mangold, harris, marshall. Fitz gives us the best chance to win in 2016, and I endorse going for it.

Archived