Jets' Dee Milliner trying to prove to friends, family he's not a bust

Gas2No99

Jets' Dee Milliner trying to prove to friends, family he's not a bust

FLORHAM PARK- The first four years of Dee Milliner's NFL career haven't exactly gone as planned. Drafted ninth overall by the Jets in 2013, the cornerback has spent more time on the injury report than game day field. 

Seriously. Of a potential 48 career games, Milliner has appeared in just 21. 

Heading into his contract year, the player who once declared himself the "best cornerback in the NFL" has no shortage of doubters... including a few people closest to him. 

"I see it sometimes," Milliner said Friday when asked of being labeled a bust. "My brothers and family bring it up as a joke. I just laugh at it. You've gotta take the criticism."

Joking or not, there is a bit of truth behind his family's playful jabs. When Milliner first arrived at One Jets Drive, he was viewed as the replacement to the recently-traded Darrelle Revis. He was supposed to step right in, be the team's starter and make Gang Green faithful forget all about No. 24. 

That didn't go as planned. A high ankle sprain sidelined Milliner early in training camp and plagued him for the first half of the season. He struggled, and was eventually benched. He eventually returned to the lineup and played well, leading to high expectations entering 2014, but then more injuries came into play. Milliner tore his Achille's that year, and injured a tendon in his wrist in 2015.

Now, No. 27 is the forgotten man on the Jets' defense. With New York having passed on picking up the fifth-year option on his contract, he'll be a free agent next March

"I just gotta go out there and play. I can't be injured. I can't be on the sideline," said Milliner, who hasn't intercepted a pass since his rookie year. "I gotta go out there on the field and compete for a job."

Through OTAs, minicamp and the first three days of training camp, Milliner does resemble a player on a mission. With Revis sidelined as he continues to rehab from wrist surgery, the 24-year-old Milliner is making the most of his opportunities. On Thursday, Milliner forced a pair of fumbles by punching the ball out of receivers' hands. Saturday, he made an impressive, toe-tapping interception near the sideline.

See, Milliner's in a weird position. He's starting now, but once Revis returns, he'll be back to the reserves. As a result, it's up to him to force his way onto the field.

"You've gotta love the opportunity and take advantage of it," Milliner said. "Go out there and compete and have fun while doing it... I'm trying to be the best when I'm on the field and contribute in any way I can."

And in order to compete on the field, Milliner needs to be on the field. He's taken up yoga to improve his flexibility and hopefully prevent soft tissue injuries

The rest? Well, wait and see.

"I'm just trying to do what I can," Milliner said. "Hopefully, I can stay that way, and I'm praying I can hold it together."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com.

I still have faith in the kid - he's shown ability and has IDEAL traits for the position, but he just has to stop being Humpty Dumpty. 

It's a shame, has to be hard to know you have a certain level of talent but your body won't let you display it. I'm pulling for the kid. The problem is it's been almost 4 years at what point does the injuries stop, or do they ever. You see flashes from the kid but you can also sense a bit of uncertainty from him and his ability to stay healthy.

Its nice to see his family is being supportive, that's kind of Fu*ked up. You would think they would be encouring him. No more cars for those assholes.

If Milliner & McDougle can stay healthy our secondary can be very good & deep. Burris is making plays early which is a great sign. I think Skrine is better suited to the slot so I'm hoping Milliner can grab that #2 CB spot.

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

So far Milliner's been lighting it up in camp.  His problem is staying on the field.  Didn't understand why Jets didn't pick up his 5th year option.  They can always cut him if he goes sideways again

I believe if they pick up his 5th year option and he gets hurt, they have to pay the fifth year; it wasn't a decision based on his performance, but based on his health history.

22 minutes ago, flgreen said:

So far Milliner's been lighting it up in camp.  His problem is staying on the field.  Didn't understand why Jets didn't pick up his 5th year option.  They can always cut him if he goes sideways again

Easy decision, the salary for Milliner's fifth year would have been $11.9 million and guaranteed for injury, which would have been a huge overpayment and risk, he will get signed for less even if he has a good year

Well it's make or break season for him has a Jet, the Jets did not take the 5th year option, (which the Jets did with Coples) So I think the Front office aren't exactly very high on him.

I hope he turns out well, but he's just made of glass so far, not someone you want to throw big money at. Lots of fluff at this time of the year lets see if he can make a mark in camp. 

22 minutes ago, Larz said:

the "hail mary" this year is clady, milliner and amaro giving the jets solid contributions.  If they do, look out

Very true esp for Clady.

Who is the next man up at LT???

Fitz may be getting his beard knocked off if Clady goes down.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Here's your answer

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Easy decision, the salary for Milliner's fifth year would have been $11.9 million and guaranteed for injury, which would have been a huge overpayment and risk, he will get signed for less even if he has a good year

It would be incredibly stupid to have picked up the COSTLY  5th year option for a former top 10 CB who has played, IIRC, 21 out of 48 possible games.

Is Dee Milliner worth paying $12M for 1 year in which he's NEVER played a full season healthy without missing gameS? It was pulling teeth just to hand over $12M to our Franchise-TD tossing record QB for 1 year and he PLAYED THROUGH A TORN THUMB LIGAMENT!?!?!?

Sweet Dee isn't worth THAT sweet of a deal. I'm still rooting for him to succeed and hopefully he can turn it around. What VacationLand doesn't seem to get, with Geno & Miliner, is that despite their disappointing young careers, they are physically talented assets that still have value and potential upside. The NFL has shown us not everyone hits the gate running. 

So those calling for the cuts, WHY?!?! Miliner, and Geno,  are talented DEPTH backups who can help in small ways, they just MERELY can't be counted on as full time starters. Ride out the contracts and see if the "return" is better this year; if they still disappoint, let them walk in the spring for CompPicks and another wave of the Idzik era has been scrubbed off this franchise. 

30 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Very true esp for Clady.

Who is the next man up at LT???

Fitz may be getting his beard knocked off if Clady goes down.

Ben Ijilana: 6'4" 322lbs. Colts' 2nd round pick in 2011 from Villianova. Has had both knees shredded already and we picked him cheap on waivers. He's been a 3 year back up w/us behind Brick

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

LOL - so it could have been his Mom who first coined "Delicate Dee"?

a bust who is also a multi millionaire - Dee has the last laugh in that family but I hope he turns it around on the field too

The next time the fam jokes about being a bust, he should joke about his bank account busting from the seams as well. 

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

100% BUST and no other, better classification,  no warm, fuzzy words to wrap around it. This guy is a freaking china doll. I want him gone ASAP.

dumb...per jason there is $0 cap savings if he is cut so why not take a chance he can stay on the field this season..if not he's gone next yr..thank god you aren't a gm

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

If Milliner & McDougle can stay healthy our secondary can be very good & deep. Burris is making plays early which is a great sign. I think Skrine is better suited to the slot so I'm hoping Milliner can grab that #2 CB spot.

That's clearly the best case scenario. He's the best hope for a lock-down CB on the other side of the field from Revis. He's shown that potential before. That would really allow the Jets to play a lot with their potential pass rushers. 

But just as clearly, they can't depend on him. 

I have a really good feeling about this team & the competition that's been created. Leo the baby boy is turning into a man. Sheldons playing for his next contract & teams taking chances on guys facing suspensions will be fewer, (perfect example is Dallas with 3 starters suspended & Steelers with 2 & one guy out for the year). Genos pushing Fitz. Guys are fighting for the #2 CB spot.

Guys are fighting for the RT & left guard spot. A mix of vets & rookies are fighting for pass rushing spots, outside LB spots. A bunch of players will be fighting for special teams spots (punt returners, kickoff returners, gunners.)  Amaro & Sudfeld are playing for snaps, guys are fighting for 4/5/6 at the receiver position. We have 4 backs, Forte, Powell, Khiry, Morris.

I feel like these injured guys coming back are like we signed a bunch of free agents. Amaro, Sudfeld, Milliner, Catapano, Bailey, Smith, McDougle, even Folk. 

8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Maybe the saddest headline in human history

I hope that is sarcasm because there are far worse headlines. Try any headline declaring war or death are not worse than an athlete trying to prove he is not a bust? I hope he isn't because it makes the Jets better, but players with his injury history can't suddenly turn 'healthy'.

7 hours ago, Mainejet said:

100% BUST and no other, better classification,  no warm, fuzzy words to wrap around it. This guy is a freaking china doll. I want him gone ASAP.

dumb...per jason there is $0 cap savings if he is cut so why not take a chance he can stay on the field this season..if not he's gone next yr..thank god you aren't a gm

Oh really???? BS. It would make much MORE sense to cut him and get a guy playing for the league minimum. You know, a guy that might be on the field when he's needed? So I guess common sense ( given Milliner's very illustrious injury history) is not your strong suit????

57 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Oh really???? BS. It would make much MORE sense to cut him and get a guy playing for the league minimum. You know, a guy that might be on the field when he's needed? So I guess common sense ( given Milliner's very illustrious injury history) is not your strong suit????

What are you correcting? Milliner's entire salary is guaranteed. Cutting him now would cost the team @ $2M against the cap this year, and another $2M+ next year - and the Jets are already over next year's cap. The kid has talent. It's 100% the right move to give him a chance. He stays healthy, either the Jets resign him or potentially get a decent comp pick for him in 2018. Cutting him would be dumb. There's really no other word for it. 

Archived