- Revis was starting to test his wrist as he did some individual DB drills

- The defense worked on causing fumbles today by setting up four stations where
they worked on different situations.  One was strip sacks and another was two
men tackling the ball carrier where one would secure and the other would strip
the ball

- The defense won the day today.  They worked on installing their sub-packages
and bringing blitz pressure out of them

Players Who Continue To "Stack" Practices

- Jordan Jenkins (OLB) had a sack and two tackles for loss.  At this stage he seems
to play "older" than his age let's see if it continues

- Jalin Marshall (WR) is getting increased reps with the #1's.  He had a TD in the
red zone portion of practice

- Juston Burris (CB) continues to show good coverage skills and had multiple pass
breakups.  And with the pads on he also showed good run support

Player Notes

- Doug Middleton (S) showed excellent range by getting an INT of Bryce Petty.  From
media reports it seemed like he stood out on Saturday so he continued his good play
today

- Darron Lee (LB) and Bruce Carter (LB) really stood out today as they displayed their
speed.  In 1 on 1 coverage drills against RB's they were fast enough to undercut the 
routes and knock down passes.  And in 11 on 11's Lee shined bringing blitz pressure
from the middle by getting a sack

- The rust continues to fall off of Ryan Clady.  He's had impressive battles against
Lorenzo Mauldin (winning some, losing some).  And today in 11 on 11's he was able to
engage multiple defenders when the defense blitzed

- Mauldin is bringing pressure off the edge but he's not being a "one trick pony".
He's not just trying to use his speed and run around the OT, he's stringing together
moves.  Also, he's being attentive to setting the edge in the run game

- With the pads on Calvin Pryor had a good day.  He had a TFL on a run blitz and a sack

- Jace Amaro showed up today in blocking and pass catching.  He had a nice seal block that
allowed Powell to get a 20+ yard run.  In 11 on 11's he made an excellent diving catch
of a throw by Petty and stretched the seam by catching a 15+ yarder from Fitzpatrick(?)

- Buster Skrine had an INT and sack of Fitzpatrick during 11 on 11's

QB's

Nothing really stood out about the QB's today other than a few highlight plays:

- Fitzpatrick hitting Decker on a 35+ yard throw over Milliner

- Hackenberg hitting Kyle Williams on a 40+ yard TD

Daily Standouts

- Darron Lee
- Bruce Carter
- Doug Middleton
- Calvin Pryor
- Jordan Jenkins
- Juston Burris
- Lorenzo Mauldin

Is it me or are we really seeing more potential from lower round draft picks and UDFA's in the last couple of years under Mac and the new scouting team, it just seems like the Jets have more depth then I can remember - I realize they have not broken the starting line up yet but it does feel like we are about to get some quality help developed in house

If so, this will be key to building a winning program, and long needed in Jet Nation

34 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Great to hear about Darren Lee, he's the guy that can take this defense to the next level versus last season.  Hope it translates to the games.

58 minutes ago, KRL said:

Due to Phil and the reputation of JetNation I was able to attend the closed
practice today.  So thanks again for allowing me to represent the site

General Notes

- Practice was held in the fieldhouse and players were in full pads

- Practice ran 2.5 hours

- Brant Boyer (STC) was back to using trash cans as he went over wedge blocking
assignments with the cans representing defenders

- Revis was starting to test his wrist as he did some individual DB drills

the ball

- The defense won the day today.  They worked on installing their sub-packages
and bringing blitz pressure out of them

Players Who Continue To "Stack" Practices

- Jordan Jenkins (OLB) had a sack and two tackles for loss.  At this stage he seems
to play "older" than his age let's see if it continues

- Jalin Marshall (WR) is getting increased reps with the #1's.  He had a TD in the
red zone portion of practice

- Juston Burris (CB) continues to show good coverage skills and had multiple pass
breakups.  And with the pads on he also showed good run support

Player Notes

- Doug Middleton (S) showed excellent range by getting an INT of Bryce Petty.  From
media reports it seemed like he stood out on Saturday so he continued his good play
today

- Darron Lee (LB) and Bruce Carter (LB) really stood out today as they displayed their
speed.  In 1 on 1 coverage drills against RB's they were fast enough to undercut the 
routes and knock down passes.  And in 11 on 11's Lee shined bringing blitz pressure
from the middle by getting a sack

- The rust continues to fall off of Ryan Clady.  He's had impressive battles against
Lorenzo Mauldin (winning some, losing some).  And today in 11 on 11's he was able to
engage multiple defenders when the defense blitzed

- Mauldin is bringing pressure off the edge but he's not being a "one trick pony".
He's not just trying to use his speed and run around the OT, he's stringing together
moves.  Also, he's being attentive to setting the edge in the run game

- With the pads on Calvin Pryor had a good day.  He had a TFL on a run blitz and a sack

- Jace Amaro showed up today in blocking and pass catching.  He had a nice seal block that
allowed Powell to get a 20+ yard run.  In 11 on 11's he made an excellent diving catch
of a throw by Petty and stretched the seam by catching a 15+ yarder from Fitzpatrick(?)

- Buster Skrine had an INT and sack of Fitzpatrick during 11 on 11's

QB's

Nothing really stood out about the QB's today other than a few highlight plays:

- Fitzpatrick hitting Decker on a 35+ yard throw over Milliner

- Hackenberg hitting Kyle Williams on a 40+ yard TD

Daily Standouts

- Darron Lee
- Bruce Carter
- Doug Middleton
- Calvin Pryor
- Jordan Jenkins
- Juston Burris
- Lorenzo Mauldin

This can't be possible, Darron Lee is way to small to be a standout.....he..he...he..just that fact that Mainejet can't respond to this makes me a bit giddy.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This can't be possible, Darron Lee is way to small to be a standout.....he..he...he..just that fact that Mainejet can't respond to this makes me a bit giddy.

Personal foul, taunting  a defenseless poster .

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

all standouts are on defense?  is rex writing this crap?

He's right.  Nobody on offense stood out today minus a good play here or there.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Is it me or are we really seeing more potential from lower round draft picks and UDFA's in the last couple of years under Mac and the new scouting team, it just seems like the Jets have more depth then I can remember - I realize they have not broken the starting line up yet but it does feel like we are about to get some quality help developed in house

If so, this will be key to building a winning program, and long needed in Jet Nation

Well actually treating high end fa and late picks as value rather than garbage as a start.  Tanny and rex era

Glad to hear middleton is doing well he is a guy i liked as a late round pick for us.  Very happy when we got him as a udfa.

J Marshall sounds like he is really  turning heads.

Jalin Marshall

General Notes

– Practice was held in the fieldhouse and players were in full pads.

– Practice ran 2.5 hours.

– Brant Boyer (STC) was back to using trash cans as he went over wedge blocking assignments with the cans representing defenders.

– Revis was starting to test his wrist as he did some individual DB drills.

– The defense worked on causing fumbles today by setting up four stations where they worked on different situations.  One was strip sacks and another was two men tackling the ball carrier where one would secure and the other would strip the ball.

– The defense won the day today.  They worked on installing their sub-packages and bringing blitz pressure out of them.

Players Who Continue To “Stack” Practices

– Jordan Jenkins (OLB) had a sack and two tackles for loss.  At this stage he seems to play “older” than his age let’s see if it continues.

– Jalin Marshall (WR) is getting increased reps with the #1’s.  He had a TD in the red zone portion of practice.

– Juston Burris (CB) continues to show good coverage skills and had multiple pass breakups.  And with the pads on he also showed good run support.

Player Notes

– Doug Middleton (S) showed excellent range by getting an INT of Bryce Petty.  From media reports it seemed like he stood out on Saturday so he continued his good play today.

– Darron Lee (LB) and Bruce Carter (LB) really stood out today as they displayed their speed.  In 1 on 1 coverage drills against RB’s they were fast enough to undercut the routes and knock down passes.  And in 11 on 11’s Lee shined bringing blitz pressure from the middle by getting a sack.

– The rust continues to fall off of Ryan Clady.  He’s had impressive battles against Lorenzo Mauldin (winning some, losing some).  And today in 11 on 11’s he was able to engage multiple defenders when the defense blitzed.

– Mauldin is bringing pressure off the edge but he’s not being a “one trick pony”. He’s not just trying to use his speed and run around the OT, he’s stringing together moves.  Also, he’s being attentive to setting the edge in the run game.

– With the pads on Calvin Pryor had a good day.  He had a TFL on a run blitz and a sack.

– Jace Amaro showed up today in blocking and pass catching.  He had a nice seal block that allowed Powell to get a 20+ yard run.  In 11 on 11’s he made an excellent diving catch of a throw by Petty and stretched the seam by catching a 15+ yarder from Fitzpatrick(?)

– Buster Skrine had an INT and sack of Fitzpatrick during 11 on 11’s.

QB’s

Nothing really stood out about the QB’s today other than a few highlight plays:

– Fitzpatrick hitting Decker on a 35+ yard throw over Milliner

– Hackenberg hitting Kyle Williams on a 40+ yard TD

Daily Standouts

– Darron Lee
– Bruce Carter
– Doug Middleton
– Calvin Pryor
– Jordan Jenkins
– Juston Burris
– Lorenzo Mauldin

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
YzfVz6l7Dq4

Click here to read the full story...

35 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He's right.  Nobody on offense stood out today minus a good play here or there.

As much as I want to hear good things about the offense, it doesn't surprise me or concern me at this point that the defense is winning the battles.  We know the defense is excellent and it seems they have patched the few holes they had with some high-potential young guys.  The offense has a lot of work to do just to catch up and hopefully, once they are playing other teams' defenses, they'll be able to make more (Fitz)magic happen.

Yes, Thanks KRL for exceptional efforts. The D is getting all the credit, but the efforts of Jalin Marshall and Amaro may be able to change the O where not only WRs Marshall/Decker will be the only threats. Throw in Quincy E. and perhaps Forte and Powell and this O may be even more threatening than last year.  

Very interested in Amaro's blocking. If he can do a competent job inline blocking it could make him a huge weapon in the run and pass game. 

Forcing a safety, or a LB to be assigned to him could create mismatches on audibles. Can't wait for this season. So many great storylines. 

Thanks KRL. I'm glad you were allowed in. RESPECT

Practicing against this defense should force our offense to be more focused & get them to make sure everything is on point. Rex liked to just smash his offense with a sledgehammer undermining the development of his own young inexperienced QBs. Fitz has enough experience to practice attacking vulnerable areas of the defense. The offense is also operating without Carpenter who is a huge upgrade to anyone taking his place.

The other positive is the Olineman working in place of Carpenter & Breno are going up against excellent competition. Scary thing for the offense is that big Mo hasn't even suited up yet.

8 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Very interested in Amaro's blocking. If he can do a competent job inline blocking it could make him a huge weapon in the run and pass game. 

Forcing a safety, or a LB to be assigned to him could create mismatches on audibles. Can't wait for this season. So many great storylines. 

Thanks KRL. I'm glad you were allowed in. RESPECT

If, IF, he can put it together this year... man... look out!

14 hours ago, KRL said:

the ball

I love hearing this. Bowles more than doubled the defense's takeaways last year. Love the continued focus. 

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

We need to develop a young QB . Great job as always KRL

Yes, great job as always KRL. As far as developing a young QB, what more would you like to see the JETS do? Hackenburg, Petty, even Geno, all young and getting better. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I love hearing this. Bowles more than doubled the defense's takeaways last year. Love the continued focus. 

+1

I'd rather give up an extra yard per carry in run defense, if it means we're standing up the RB, and trying to punch the ball out and doubling our takeaways. Given the strengths of this team, and the way the sport is officiated nowadays, extra offensive possessions = winning strategy.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is Bryce Petty really on anyone's radar that he gets picked up off waivers?  

This just seems silly.  

Nobody could possibly know this.

Mac is a scout though, and probably understands that scouts from other teams spent time looking at this kids - and some had him ranked as 3rd best QB in that draft class - and scouts would go to bat for the homework they did on him then, now, if hte chance came up to steal him off a p-squad.

15 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Yes, great job as always KRL. As far as developing a young QB, what more would you like to see the JETS do? Hackenburg, Petty, even Geno, all young and getting better

Well...they're all young.

44 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Yes, great job as always KRL. As far as developing a young QB, what more would you like to see the JETS do? Hackenburg, Petty, even Geno, all young and getting better. 

while I do believe that these 3 guys are improving, Smith is in his 4th year and unless he gets an opportunity here and "Balls Out", is likely done after this year as a Jet . Petty is going into his 2nd year, and like Smith is going through his 2nd season in the same system and according to reports isn't even ready to challenge for the back up QB Job . Hackenberg who I was hoping the Jets would draft needs to sit this entire year, regain his confidence , allow his body to heal and his mind to be refreshed and we will see what we have next training camp .

Fitzpatrick had a great year in 2015, and the Jets were somewhat trapped into bringing him back because of the lack of trust /development in Smith and Petty . 

IMHO, The worst thing that could have happened to the Maccagnan/ Bowles regime was IK breaking the Jaw of Geno Smith .  It was not that initial signing of Fitzpatrick, but the events that caused Geno Smith to lose his starting position as the QB. He might have stunk up the Joint proving everyone right, and Fitz might still have had a great season even if not as productive . What we would all know with absolutely certainty is that Smith is the "Bust" so many think he is .  4 yrs later, and I have no clue what this player is, and that's the real same .Yet another QB mishandled by a Franchise searching for stability at this most important position on a Football team . 

Her is what I know for sure, and that is Fitzpatrick is not the future of this team at QB . Yet, we're not even willing to see what could be knowing that the option of a hold the fort is there as the fall back option.

If I were The HC of the Jets, I would not Fitzpatrick play a single down in the 1st 2 pre season Games .  Geno Smith and the kids would get every single rep with Smith getting the 1st half, Petty the 3rd and Hackenberg the 4th . Fitzpatrick plays the entire 3rd preseason game and the 1st half of the 4th  followed by Petty in the 3rd and Hack in the 4th .

You will never develop a QB having him sit on the Bench watching for 3 yrs .  Year 1 you watch, year 2 you make mistakes and year 3 you make adjustments .  This all need to be done in the same scheme and then you can actually see the maturation of a player . What we do is draft a QB, throw him out there, watch him stink up the joint, fire the coaching staff change schemes and do the same frilling thing over again before cutting ties with the QB, signing someone's tired old reject and repeating the process .

We're the Jets, and the cycle needs to stop. Generational curses only stop when someone is wiling to stand up and say enough is enough . 

That is all .  

7 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I second that, and your not so bad yourself CB

It is so good to hear from you. I think you might want to stick around here for this season. 

I really like the attitude around the team and we just might surprise even our cynical selves!!!!  :rolleyes:

Archived