The first signs of a long-awaited Jace Amaro breakthrough

Gas2No99

The first signs of a long-awaited Jace Amaro breakthrough

The first signs of a long-awaited Jace Amaro breakthrough

Each day after the Jets finish their training camp practice, Jace Amaro makes his way to the JUGS machine that spits footballs out at him.

He stands by himself on a corner of the field catching football after football.

It is part of Amaro’s daily routine and part of the third-year tight end trying to prove to the Jets he can be a major piece of this team. He missed the entire 2015 season after shoulder surgery. That came a year after an up-and-down rookie year, when he sometimes struggled to catch the ball.

With a new coach and a new general manager in place last year, missing an entire season was not the way to earn their trust. Now, he is working on that.

“They just haven’t really seen what I can do,” Amaro said. “I’m just trying to get open and catch every ball and do every assignment correctly. I’m blocking as hard as I can because that’s ultimately going to mean me playing a lot, you know as much as I want to. I’m just trying to do the little things right and get better with every practice. I feel like I did that in these first four practices.”

Amaro, 24, has stood out during the early days of Jets training camp. He is making a lot of catches, including a few diving ones, and has been a noticeable target in red-zone drills. The Jets are searching for another target in their offense besides Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. Amaro could be that missing piece.

Modal Triggerajj.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=344
Amaro in 2014Photo: Anthony J. Causi

The tight end position was just a rumor for the Jets in 2015. Tight ends caught eight passes on 23 targets. Would it have been different had Amaro remained healthy? There is no doubt he is a better receiver than Kellen Davis, who became the team’s primary tight end, but Amaro was already buried on the depth chart last training camp before his injury. Quincy Enunwa emerged as a hybrid receiver/tight end, and that may be whom Amaro is fighting for reps this year.

Amaro spent this offseason at his home in San Antonio working on his run blocking, catching a ton of footballs and concentrating on nutrition. He said he is down about 10 pounds, from 270 last year in camp to 260 this year.

“I feel like I’m running a lot better. I have more endurance,” Amaro said. “I didn’t lose any strength [with the weight loss]. Things like that I feel like will help me down the road in the regular season.”

The Jets selected Amaro in the second round of the 2014 draft after he caught 106 passes in his junior year at Texas Tech. But the men who drafted him — John Idzik and Rex Ryan — are long gone. Now, Amaro knows he has to earn the trust of Todd Bowles to get on the field.

“I definitely still have a lot to prove to these guys,” Amaro said. “That’s going to come with me coming out here every day and doing the little things right. I’m not going to win them over in one day. It’s going to have to be one, two, three, four, five days and then the preseason and then ultimately when the weeks go by in the regular season, just showing them game by game what I can do. Hopefully I improve every single week and showcase what I can do.”

I like his attitude. Realizes that to master your craft it's one step at a time and remaining consistent while also doing the little things well. I'm rooting for Amaro to succeed and he'll be that dangerous RedZone threat we drafted. I say at least 6 TDs for the TexTech TE in 2016 (fun alliteration to say that sentence aloud) :P

He caught like 70% of his targets from Geno with no one drawing double coverage.

It's only his blocking holding him back. If he can become an average blocker for his size it will really open things up for us. 

A lot of promise on this team. Really going to be an interesting preseason. Keep your fingers crossed that half of these guys live up to their potential. 

Amaro, Milliner, Jenkins, Mauldin.. all guys that are working EXTREMELY hard to elevated their game and earn respect on the team. Imagine if all of these guys pan out and show the desire to be the best every day like this. Man...we could forget all about lack of depth. This team would be SET..

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Amaro, Milliner, Jenkins, Mauldin.. all guys that are working EXTREMELY hard to elevated their game and earn respect on the team. Imagine if all of these guys pan out and show the desire to be the best every day like this. Man...we could forget all about lack of depth. This team would be SET..

Geno also worked very hard. Not suggesting he will start but having a backup QB that can come in and go .500 often means playoffs versus no playoffs.

Just now, jgb said:

Geno also worked very hard. Not suggesting he will start but having a backup QB that can come in and go .500 often means playoffs versus no playoffs.

True. Teams absouletly need 2 QB's capable of winning a game. I like Geno's attitude and not only his but the entire 2014,15 and 16 draft classes...these guys are impressive. I like the new generation of Jets as a whole so far.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

True. Teams absouletly need 2 QB's capable of winning a game. I like Geno's attitude and not only his but the entire 2014,15 and 16 draft classes...these guys are impressive. I like the new generation of Jets as a whole so far.

Some guys need a wake up moment to get their head on straight. I did in college (broke my arm being stupid, got red shirted, forced to focus on studies), maybe same for Geno.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Some guys need a wake up moment to get their head on straight. I did in college (broke my arm being stupid, got red shirted, forced to focus on studies), maybe same for Geno.

Yeah, can't expect everyone to get it from day one. I always thought he could improve if given the chance and right attitude...looks like the jaw punch and the new FO in general made Geno notice that. When Marshall came around we automatically had a vocal leader and then Fitz emerged and lead by example from a young QB's stand point. Last year wasn't just about holding a clip board and watching. He got to experience how savvy veterans lead a team deep in the game down 20-10 in MetLife. He got to see the reception Fitzpatrick got from teammates on a daily basis. I wholesomely believe last year humbled him in a unique way. This team veterans and rising young players combined can win ANY game on that schedule. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, can't expect everyone to get it from day one. I always thought he could improve if given the chance and right attitude...looks like the jaw punch and the new FO in general made Geno notice that. When Marshall came around we automatically had a vocal leader and then Fitz emerged and lead by example from a young QB's stand point. Last year wasn't just about holding a clip board and watching. He got to experience how savvy veterans lead a team deep in the game down 20-10 in MetLife. He got to see the reception Fitzpatrick got from teammates on a daily basis. I wholesomely believe last year humbled him in a unique way. This team veterans and rising young players combined can win ANY game on that schedule. 

Would be typical Jets luck that he learns a valuable lesson here and implements it somewhere else :P

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

THIS IS NOT A FüCKING GENO THREAD!!! DO NOT HI JACK THIS THREAD>

GTFO OF HERE WITH THAT $HIT!!!

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

What's wrong with regular text? And I didn't make this a Geno thread I was simply acknowledging the attitude and work ethic of our young bucks...which Geno falls into that category. While I do admit I got slightly off track from that, I was responding to someone's comment.Chill the hell out.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What's wrong with regular text? And I didn't make this a Geno thread I was simply acknowledging the attitude and work ethic of our young bucks...which Geno falls into that category. While I do admit I got slightly off track from that, I was responding to someone's comment.Chill the hell out.

Nothing wrong with regular text.

It's just been proven over time that a good portion of "readers" on this forum have horrible reading comprehension and require big letters to get the point. 

This thread is about Amaro, the back-up QB has nothing to do with this topic and since ALL OTHER threads regress into a stupid Pro v Con Geno argument when he comes up, I don't think it should repeat itself here. SO please don't HIJACK this thread. 

You want to start a debate about work ethic in our young players, start ANOTHER thread regarding that topic. 

Chill the Hell out? Are you one of those people that think typing in big letters represents ACTUAL emotion when typing?!?!

HAHAHAHA. Funny that Font Size Options gets people nervous as if someone were actually blowing a fuse. Grow up.  

13 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The way to get a thread back on track is highlighting the detour with gigantic 72 pt font. Well played.

9 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

It's just been proven over time that a good portion of "readers" on this forum have horrible reading comprehension and require big letters to get the point. 

This thread is about Amaro, the back-up QB has nothing to do with this topic and since ALL OTHER threads regress into a stupid Pro v Con Geno argument when he comes up, I don't think it should repeat itself here. SO please don't HIJACK this thread. 

You want to start a debate about work ethic in our young players, start ANOTHER thread regarding that topic. 

Chill the Hell out? Are you one of those people that think typing in big letters represents ACTUAL emotion when typing?!?!

HAHAHAHA. Funny that Font Size Options gets people nervous as if someone were actually blowing a fuse. Grow up.  

Lol no...I actually didn't mean for "Chill the Hell out" to be interpreted as such. Why are you blowing up on me lol...are you really that mad? Man, some of you guys have serious issues. The effort and frustration is strong within this post...lol but for what? A thread on a forum? Smh

17 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Thank you for proving my point on poor reading comprehension. 

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol no...I actually didn't mean for "Chill the Hell out" to be interpreted as such. Why are you blowing up on me lol...are you really that mad? Man, some of you guys have serious issues. The effort and frustration is strong within this post...lol but for what? A thread on a forum? Smh

5 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You are right, poor reading skills in this day & age of society IS pathetic. You should get Hooked On Phonics. 

The personal attacks are pointless. Are we not here for the same reason? You're behavior is childish and deserves no childish response. I'll choose not to stoop to your level.

Still can't figure why anyone is down on Amaro.  As far as I'm concerned he had a solid rookie season and was injured last season.  

So I'm not saying he's gonna be great, but there definitely isn't anything to suggest he's gonna be a bust.  Arrow is still pointing up with Amaro.  Same as it's been since we drafted him.

29 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

So you tell others to chill out and stop caring so much but you upvote your own posts. Seems like someone is projecting again.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Still can't figure why anyone is down on Amaro.  As far as I'm concerned he had a solid rookie season and was injured last season.  

So I'm not saying he's gonna be great, but there definitely isn't anything to suggest he's gonna be a bust.  Arrow is still pointing up with Amaro.  Same as it's been since we drafted him.

TE is supposedly the hardest position other than QB to transition from college to pro.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The personal attacks are pointless. Are we not here for the same reason? You're behavior is childish and deserves no childish response. I'll choose not to stoop to your level.

Apology accepted. :P

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

So you tell others to chill out and stop caring so much but you upvote your own posts. Seems like someone is projecting again.

Projection is the key to realization. Once again, altered Font sizes in bold is for emphasis, not actual emotional state of the poster. Perhaps it's a generational thing, but you guys really need to be able to discern the difference. 

AND THANK YOU for getting the thread back on track @Mike135

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Apology accepted. :P

Projection is the key to realization. Once again, altered Font sizes in bold is for emphasis, not actual emotional state of the poster. Perhaps it's a generational thing, but you guys really need to be able to discern the difference. 

I didn't apologize. I have nothing to apologize for. You're the one who should apologize for insulting me over a comment that had nothing to do with you.

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

#idzikpick

Hate them all, but hoping this kid can do something. Gotta say, he looks very unathletic. Not talking about straight line speed, he hasn't looked quick and agile. 

I'll be ecstatic if he becomes an adequate blocker and registers an annual 400/5 line.

Archived