The Way To Look At It: The Jets Have a 4-Day Season

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

The gap between the end of the Bengals game and the kickoff of the Bills game is 4 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes.

Rounded off it's 4 days, math guy. 

SAR I

4 cups of coffee 4 bagels is another way to look at it. 

SAR I we got this 

2016 NY Jets sleeper team in the AFC 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's why we don't deserve nice things. Just look at the hate in the Curtis Martin: A Football Life thread for all the proof you need.

What exactly is your premise here? That in order to be a good fanbase we have to blindly believe in rainbows and unicorns? That it's bad luck to speak honestly and objectively?

Do you boo baseball managers who step on chalk lines too? 

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What exactly is your premise here? That in order to be a good fanbase we have to blindly believe in rainbows and unicorns? That it's bad luck to speak honestly and objectively?

Do you boo baseball managers who step on chalk lines too? 

SAR I

You'll have to do better than resorting to reductio ad absurdum.

But yes, being a good fan does generally mean not taking a dump on that franchise's HOF players.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

4 cups of coffee 4 bagels is another way to look at it. 

SAR I we got this 

2016 NY Jets sleeper team in the AFC 

Show me a way to the playoffs that does not involve having to beat 4 of the 7 games against playoff caliber teams.  That would make me feel better.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, billybroome said:

I'll argue that and say they won't.

not that this means anything but an interesting fact about our series w/ the bengals.

The Jets have never lost to the Bengals in the Meadowlands(whether at the old Stadium or current Stadium).  The last time the Bengals went on the road and beat the Jets was 1981 at Shea Stadium.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

not that this means anything but an interesting fact about our series w/ the bengals.

The Jets have never lost to the Bengals in the Meadowlands(whether at the old Stadium or current Stadium).  The last time the Bengals went on the road and beat the Jets was 1981 at Shea Stadium.

I'd say we're due, huh?

23 hours ago, j4jets said:

Shehawks started 0-2 and then 2-4 last year. They did ok. 0-2 is not the end of the world. 

You guys have gotten your licks on us, i remember a murderous beating were marvin jones had 3 tds and the jets never had a chance. 

On August 2, 2016 at 9:06 AM, SAR I said:

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles right there.

If the Jets go 0-2, lights out.

If the Jets go 1-1, lights out.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  It's sort of cool, actually.

SAR I

"We'd only have to go above .500 for the remaining 14 games...."

This is the fallacy of the argument because the Jets only had to win one game at the end of last season to make the playoffs.  They didn't.

I could see the 2016 Jets starting off 0-2 and making the playoffs.  I could also see them starting off 2-0 and missing the playoffs (just like they did last year).

We'll know how the Jets are shaping up for the playoffs come January 2017, and likely not before then.

I understand that fans seem to love going down the schedule and assigning W's and L's to each game, likely based on the caliber of that opponent from last season and having zero clue about injuries, overachieving rookies, underachieving stars, etc. as a season progresses.  It's fun but it's about as accurate as a monkey throwing darts at a schedule to select winners.

On August 2, 2016 at 0:06 PM, SAR I said:

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles right there.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  It's sort of cool, actually.

SAR I

How exactly do u go 1 game over .500 over 14 games? 8-6 is 2 over. The only lights out here should be your thread starting abilities. U say the season comes down to the 1st 4? Get a grip. So if we go 1-1 and win the next 2 what's the difference if we go 2-0 and split the next 2? 3-1 either way. Your post makes 0 sense. 

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:21 AM, SAR I said:

No.

After the first 2 games, the Jets have 6 games remaining against playoff teams and 8 against non-playoff teams.  We get in by going 2-4 against playoff teams and 6-2 against non-playoff teams.  I believe that is all we are capable of.

SAR I

Don't sell this team short we are much more talented than most people think and with a little luck (that all teams need BTW) we can do great things

This team will push 12-4 or 11-5 ... Obviously we need to stay healthy and get a few good bounces and not make some of the same ST mistakes and critical crops and fumbles we mad last year. Once this team gets on a roll watch out ...Keep in mind last year was the first year for this team in both the offensive and defensive systems and we all saw how they competed late in the season when we went on a roll before the Buffalo let down. Great teams avoid those let downs and that IMO is the next step this team needs to take. 

43 minutes ago, Section 333 said:

How exactly do u go 1 game over .500 over 14 games? 8-6 is 2 over. The only lights out here should be your thread starting abilities. U say the season comes down to the 1st 4? Get a grip. So if we go 1-1 and win the next 2 what's the difference if we go 2-0 and split the next 2? 3-1 either way. Your post makes 0 sense. 

Me thinks the Beemer's exhaust is backing up on him - drop that POS and get a Mazda ...

13 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Don't sell this team short we are much more talented than most people think and with a little luck (that all teams need BTW) we can do great things

This team will push 12-4 or 11-5 ... Obviously we need to stay healthy and get a few good bounces and not make some of the same ST mistakes and critical crops and fumbles we mad last year. Once this team gets on a roll watch out ...Keep in mind last year was the first year for this team in both the offensive and defensive systems and we all saw how they competed late in the season when we went on a roll before the Buffalo let down. Great teams avoid those let downs and that IMO is the next step this team needs to take. 

Dude, if 70% of the teams in the league suck again this year - like last year - then we're golden. People really ignore how bad the whole league was last year.

2 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Me thinks the Beemer's exhaust is backing up on him - drop that POS and get a Mazda ...

Over a 14 game span 7-7 is a .500 record. 

Over a 14 game span 8-6 is 1 game over 7-7 or 1 game over .500  

Such math.  So statistical.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Over a 14 game span 7-7 is a .500 record. 

Over a 14 game span 8-6 is 1 game over 7-7 or 1 game over .500  

Such math.  So statistical.

SAR I

It is impossible to be one game over .500 playing an even number of games (excluding ties). For example, in your scenario, if you lose the next game, you're still over .500 at 8-7. How can you be one game over .500 if you need to lose two games to get to .500? Consequently, and irrefutably, 8-6 is two games over .500. 

9 hours ago, jgb said:

It is impossible to be one game over .500 playing an even number of games (excluding ties). For example, in your scenario, if you lose the next game, you're still over .500 at 8-7. How can you be one game over .500 if you need to lose two games to get to .500? Consequently, and irrefutably, 8-6 is two games over .500. 

My point in this thread is that if the Jets go 2-0 in the first two games then they only need to be 1 game better than .500 the rest of the way which is very do-able.  We don't have to be some elite AFC team to get to 10 wins.  We just need to win the first two on the schedule and then be a single game better than an average team.

Barring ties, in the NFL, the only way to be 1 game better than 7-7 is to be 8-6.

SAR I

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

"We'd only have to go above .500 for the remaining 14 games...."

This is the fallacy of the argument because the Jets only had to win one game at the end of last season to make the playoffs.  They didn't.

I could see the 2016 Jets starting off 0-2 and making the playoffs.  I could also see them starting off 2-0 and missing the playoffs (just like they did last year).

We'll know how the Jets are shaping up for the playoffs come January 2017, and likely not before then.

I understand that fans seem to love going down the schedule and assigning W's and L's to each game, likely based on the caliber of that opponent from last season and having zero clue about injuries, overachieving rookies, underachieving stars, etc. as a season progresses.  It's fun but it's about as accurate as a monkey throwing darts at a schedule to select winners.

First of all, it's August, there is "fallacy" built-in to any prediction at this time.  All your variables like injuries, age, weather, zodiac signs, etc. are of course baked-in to any fan prediction as "fallacy".

That said, today, August 4, all things being relative to last year's performances and what we know to be our opponents starting lineup's, I stand by my thesis that if the Jets can open 2-0 we are good enough to be a game over .500 in the last 14 and make the playoffs.  Yeah, a blizzard could cost us the Colts game.  Yeah, an earthquake can cost us the 49ers game.  Yeah, injuries to every opposing starting QB on our roster could give us a 14-2 record, but let's talk about how things exist today, I think we need to open 2-0 to make anything of this season.

SAR I

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Dude, if 70% of the teams in the league suck again this year - like last year - then we're golden. People really ignore how bad the whole league was last year.

Can't speak for everyone else, but for me, I don't ignore how bad the teams we faced last year were.

The issue is that we face most of the exceptional teams very early in the schedule, back-to-back, 4 of 6 on the road, September and October don't feel like cupcakes to me.

SAR I

14 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I applaud your optimism, but we have some things working against us.  We know the schedule is very tough early on and at the end.  But we are also razor-thin at certain positions, we still have slow/unproven LB's, our OL hinges on the performance of an oft-injured Clady, we need to pray that another old veteran RB in Forte has another decent season left in him, our TE is a crap shoot, Revis isn't what he used to be, even our kicker is coming off a major injury.

Not to mention, we have a QB who runs too often and with reckless abandon.  Fitzpatrick's irresponsibility won us the Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots games but cost us the Raiders game.  He's one stupid scramble away from a season-ending injury.

SAR I

58 minutes ago, SAR I said:

My point in this thread is that if the Jets go 2-0 in the first two games then they only need to be 1 game better than .500 the rest of the way which is very do-able.  We don't have to be some elite AFC team to get to 10 wins.  We just need to win the first two on the schedule and then be a single game better than an average team.

Barring ties, in the NFL, the only way to be 1 game better than 7-7 is to be 8-6.

SAR I

Amazing how people can actually find a way to argue with arithmetic here. Down with Common Core!

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Amazing how people can actually find a way to argue with arithmetic here. Down with Common Core!

In a 14 game span with no ties, what is the record of a team that finishes with 1 win more than a .500 record?

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Can't speak for everyone else, but for me, I don't ignore how bad the teams we faced last year were.

The issue is that we face most of the exceptional teams very early in the schedule, back-to-back, 4 of 6 on the road, September and October don't feel like cupcakes to me.

SAR I

The point is, we're not the only team that faced easy teams.

We also won't be the only team to face hard teams. 

To be the best, you have to beat the best. Drubbing these so-called exceptional teams in September and October may spark something special for this year... either way, your assessment that the season could be over so quickly is laughable. Do you watch the NFL, or just the Jets?

On August 2, 2016 at 0:06 PM, SAR I said:

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

SAR I

Do the math: You can't end up 1 game above .500 over 14 games. It will be a miracle if we go 10-6 again

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The point is, we're not the only team that faced easy teams.

We also won't be the only team to face hard teams. 

To be the best, you have to beat the best. Drubbing these so-called exceptional teams in September and October may spark something special for this year... either way, your assessment that the season could be over so quickly is laughable. Do you watch the NFL, or just the Jets?

We are a 4-12 John Idzik rebuilding project that caught lightning in a bottle with a journeyman quarterback who played out of his mind winning 5 of the last 6 games after Thanksgiving.  This year's edition is relatively flat to last year.  For every Clady, Forte, and Robinson signed there is a Harrison, Ferguson, and Ivory we lost.

All things being equal, we are the same team that marched out on the field last September, there is no answer for Snacks, Clady is historically injured, Revis has lost another step, we're gambling on several rookies, we're praying that the next predictable Fitzpatrick scramble isn't season-ending.  Those are the realities. 

SAR I

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I applaud your optimism, but we have some things working against us.  We know the schedule is very tough early on and at the end.  But we are also razor-thin at certain positions, we still have slow/unproven LB's, our OL hinges on the performance of an oft-injured Clady, we need to pray that another old veteran RB in Forte has another decent season left in him, our TE is a crap shoot, Revis isn't what he used to be, even our kicker is coming off a major injury.

Not to mention, we have a QB who runs too often and with reckless abandon.  Fitzpatrick's irresponsibility won us the Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots games but cost us the Raiders game.  He's one stupid scramble away from a season-ending injury.

SAR I

First off SAR most of Fitz' scrambles seemed pretty well thought out sure he needs to slide once in a while especially in the middle of the field but you can say this about any QB. You hate to see any of them run and take a hit but they all do. Sure some slide more than others but its part of the game and TBH I can understand why some of them don't slide since when they slide late it puts their legs in a vulnerable position with heavy players falling on them. Either way we can both agree he needs to slide more and earlier to avoid hits altogether.

When it comes to our LB corp we got much faster, actually much faster than we've ever been. Having fast young LB's will play right into Bowles Scheme. He likes to blitz a lot and not having any speed at LB hurt us big time last year and I expect that to improve by a large margin this year. Jenkins by all accounts seems to be the real deal Lee will be moved around a lot and blitz from many positions on the field, sure it may take some time for him to become a complete LB but his speed will be devastating since Mauldin has already proven to be a fairly good blitzer and will only improve and play faster with a full year in this scheme. Also having a few more LB's that have speed will help with disguising the blitz something we didn't have the luxury of last year.

Our offense last year was inconsistent in the beginning of the year Fitz was rusty and learning his WR's as they were also learning him and a completely new system. Obviously Fitz helped with that curve but that took time. Once they got it down and became more familiar they lit it up in the second half of the season and they did it with holes at TE and RB. I'm excited about Forte because we are in a position where we don't have to over use him and I fully expect to see plenty of 2 back sets with Powell which will be a match up nightmare for opposing LB's. Amaro will be a large difference over last year so TE can only Improve even if Amaro is not a great TE he certainly will catch more than 8 balls like our TE's did last year and five Fitz a safety valve he certainly didn't have last year as will the RB's. Now with Enunwa emerging and Jalin Marshall showing in camp that he might be very special, I think our offense  has the chance to be down right explosive with so many options. When was the last time you heard that word mentioned about a Jets offense ?

The big Question mark IMO will be the Special Teams. Hopefully we found a Punter who can help turn the field position battle in our favor for once. Also our coverage units need to improve as do our return teams. The mistakes these guys made cost us 2 games out right last year and that is unacceptable. With the addition of a new ST coach and some much needed young talent things can change and we have seen them change across the NFL over the years since ST personnel changes so much and so often. We need the emergence of a real ST demon on coverage to emerge. We had them in the past and they can really disrupt an opponents return game and cause major problems, the question is do we have one ?

When it comes to the schedule I'm not really that worried since a lot of factors can hurt a team from week to week but you can get lucky and the cards may fall your way as well. I mean already we are getting a few breaks in game one with the Bengals not having Eifert or Burfict 2 very important pieces to their success. But keep in mind we are just as good as any of those teams we will be playing its just going to be a tough road of endurance but on the positive side it should keep our team motivated and focused since I believe this team will play up to its tougher opponents.

No matter what Happens I'm more excited about this team than I have been for many years Including the Rex AFCCG teams since we knew those teams had glaring weaknesses on offense. Macc has done a masterful job filling holes we have had for years and that's also a reason to be optimistic. Bowles will have to Improve a bit because he had some bad moments last year but for the most part he did well. I can't wait for this season to start I feel if a few of the views I stated above actually happen (LB and ST) this team will be in the SB conversation .

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We are a 4-12 John Idzik rebuilding project that caught lightning in a bottle with a journeyman quarterback who played out of his mind winning 5 of the last 6 games after Thanksgiving.  This year's edition is relatively flat to last year.  For every Clady, Forte, and Robinson signed there is a Harrison, Ferguson, and Ivory we lost.

All things being equal, we are the same team that marched out on the field last September, there is no answer for Snacks, Clady is historically injured, Revis has lost another step, we're gambling on several rookies, we're praying that the next predictable Fitzpatrick scramble isn't season-ending.  Those are the realities. 

SAR I

lol, you'll have to do better if you want me to bite

Archived