The Way To Look At It: The Jets Have a 4-Day Season

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

All things being equal, we are the same team that marched out on the field last September, there is no answer for Snacks, Clady is historically injured, Revis has lost another step, we're gambling on several rookies, we're praying that the next predictable Fitzpatrick scramble isn't season-ending.  Those are the realities. 

SAR I

This makes us different than every other team in the NFL because?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

First off SAR most of Fitz' scrambles seemed pretty well thought out sure he needs to slide once in a while especially in the middle of the field but you can say this about any QB. You hate to see any of them run and take a hit but they all do. Sure some slide more than others but its part of the game and TBH I can understand why some of them don't slide since when they slide late it puts their legs in a vulnerable position with heavy players falling on them. Either way we can both agree he needs to slide more and earlier to avoid hits altogether.

When it comes to our LB corp we got much faster, actually much faster than we've ever been. Having fast young LB's will play right into Bowles Scheme. He likes to blitz a lot and not having any speed at LB hurt us big time last year and I expect that to improve by a large margin this year. Jenkins by all accounts seems to be the real deal Lee will be moved around a lot and blitz from many positions on the field, sure it may take some time for him to become a complete LB but his speed will be devastating since Mauldin has already proven to be a fairly good blitzer and will only improve and play faster with a full year in this scheme. Also having a few more LB's that have speed will help with disguising the blitz something we didn't have the luxury of last year.

Our offense last year was inconsistent in the beginning of the year Fitz was rusty and learning his WR's as they were also learning him and a completely new system. Obviously Fitz helped with that curve but that took time. Once they got it down and became more familiar they lit it up in the second half of the season and they did it with holes at TE and RB. I'm excited about Forte because we are in a position where we don't have to over use him and I fully expect to see plenty of 2 back sets with Powell which will be a match up nightmare for opposing LB's. Amaro will be a large difference over last year so TE can only Improve even if Amaro is not a great TE he certainly will catch more than 8 balls like our TE's did last year and five Fitz a safety valve he certainly didn't have last year as will the RB's. Now with Enunwa emerging and Jalin Marshall showing in camp that he might be very special, I think our offense  has the chance to be down right explosive with so many options. When was the last time you heard that word mentioned about a Jets offense ?

The big Question mark IMO will be the Special Teams. Hopefully we found a Punter who can help turn the field position battle in our favor for once. Also our coverage units need to improve as do our return teams. The mistakes these guys made cost us 2 games out right last year and that is unacceptable. With the addition of a new ST coach and some much needed young talent things can change and we have seen them change across the NFL over the years since ST personnel changes so much and so often. We need the emergence of a real ST demon on coverage to emerge. We had them in the past and they can really disrupt an opponents return game and cause major problems, the question is do we have one ?

When it comes to the schedule I'm not really that worried since a lot of factors can hurt a team from week to week but you can get lucky and the cards may fall your way as well. I mean already we are getting a few breaks in game one with the Bengals not having Eifert or Burfict 2 very important pieces to their success. But keep in mind we are just as good as any of those teams we will be playing its just going to be a tough road of endurance but on the positive side it should keep our team motivated and focused since I believe this team will play up to its tougher opponents.

No matter what Happens I'm more excited about this team than I have been for many years Including the Rex AFCCG teams since we knew those teams had glaring weaknesses on offense. Macc has done a masterful job filling holes we have had for years and that's also a reason to be optimistic. Bowles will have to Improve a bit because he had some bad moments last year but for the most part he did well. I can't wait for this season to start I feel if a few of the views I stated above actually happen (LB and ST) this team will be in the SB conversation .

Good post, I agree with all of it. 

That said, you're giving a lot of upside to a few very important injury-prone guys (Clady, Amaro, Robinson) and some rookies (faster LB corps) and not taking into account that Fitzpatrick (34), Decker (29), Forte (30) and Marshall (32) are old guys and we have a very physical schedule against more formidable opponents.

SAR I

50 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This makes us different than every other team in the NFL because?

I'm not saying it does.

What I'm saying is that most believe that last year's 10-6 is not achievable this year due to schedule strength and I believe it is achievable but only if we exit the gate 2-0.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Good post, I agree with all of it. 

That said, you're giving a lot of upside to a few very important injury-prone guys (Clady, Amaro, Robinson) and some rookies (faster LB corps) and not taking into account that Fitzpatrick (34), Decker (29), Forte (30) and Marshall (32) are old guys and we have a very physical schedule against more formidable opponents.

SAR I

you would be 100 % correct but sometimes that's what it takes to get you over the hump to contend for a SB everything needs to go right and we have not had right for about 40 years remember 1986 when we were destroying everyone then half the team got hurt and we lost our last 5 games after going 10-1 that's the Jets and we need a break for once so I'm hoping we get it this year.

34 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

you would be 100 % correct but sometimes that's what it takes to get you over the hump to contend for a SB everything needs to go right and we have not had right for about 40 years remember 1986 when we were destroying everyone then half the team got hurt and we lost our last 5 games after going 10-1 that's the Jets and we need a break for once so I'm hoping we get it this year.

Frankly, I think last year was our break and we blew it.

We'd won 5 out of 6, were the hottest team in the NFL, we were really cooking on offense, the pass rush was working, and then the D's disaster in Buffalo killed our season.

As a Jets fan, you know that coming off of a dominant year and having high expectations in August always leads to disappointment in January.

SAR I

On 03/08/2016 at 0:27 AM, SAR I said:

The Cincinnati Bengals have made the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years and have one of the best regular-season quarterbacks in the NFL.  Importantly, they have been playing in the same system for 13 years and are one of the NFL teams least vulnerable to early season disconnects and sloppy execution.

Those same Bengals have only gone 3-4 on opening day in that 7 year span.

On 03/08/2016 at 4:40 PM, SAR I said:

Show me a way to the playoffs that does not involve having to beat 4 of the 7 games against playoff caliber teams.  That would make me feel better.

SAR I

I'll give this one a go ...

Our last 10 games are against : NE * 2, Phish * 2, Bills, Ravens, Browns, Rams, 49ers, Colts.

Leaving NE out of the equation for now ... the rest of those 8 games are all very winnable. Ravens, Colts, Rams, Bills and one Phish game are at home. I'd say we should win all 8, but let's say we lose 1 for arguments sake. 7-1.

NE - let's just say we split. 1-1.

That leaves us at 8-2, and so far I only have us beating one playoff calibre team. We need 2 more wins out of the first 6, and if one of those is the Bills, that's only needing 2 wins vs. playoff teams to go 10-6.

The only truth to this position is if we don't go 2-0 and the team morale collapses or major injuries set back the team and they can't overcome those problems. Otherwise there are still one or two more games we could win that might be penciled as a projected loss right now, especially because other teams are at risk of the same problems.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

We'd won 5 out of 6, were the hottest team in the NFL, we were really cooking on offense, the pass rush was working, and then the D's disaster in Buffalo killed our season.

As a Jets fan, you know that coming off of a dominant year and having high expectations in August always leads to disappointment in January.

SAR I

well yeah as a Jets fan I know that too well  BUT I think this regime will change that ..at least I hope they will

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Agree that we were one one the hottest teams in the NFL at the end of the season. Another year in the system the Jets should be better. Improvements with special teams(Lac punting now, remember Kerley and Crow on returns last year stunk) new blood with speed this year, LB and RB positions upgrades IMO. Jets will at least go 10-6 this year even with the schedule. This is a good team with a good staff....not the same old Jets. I hope I'm saying the same thing in December.

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

I'll give this one a go ...

Our last 10 games are against : NE * 2, Phish * 2, Bills, Ravens, Browns, Rams, 49ers, Colts.

Leaving NE out of the equation for now ... the rest of those 8 games are all very winnable. Ravens, Colts, Rams, Bills and one Phish game are at home. I'd say we should win all 8, but let's say we lose 1 for arguments sake. 7-1.

NE - let's just say we split. 1-1.

That leaves us at 8-2, and so far I only have us beating one playoff calibre team. We need 2 more wins out of the first 6, and if one of those is the Bills, that's only needing 2 wins vs. playoff teams to go 10-6.

So you have us at:

2-4 in our first 6 games [Last year we were 4-2]

8-2 in our last 10 games [Last year we were 6-4]

2-5 against elite teams [Last year we were 2-2]

8-1 against losing teams [Last year we were 8-4]

I agree that we can beat 2 of 7 elite teams, it's consistent with last year.

I disagree that we can be almost perfect against losing teams, 8-1 is a huge stretch.

Your numbers include sweeps of the Bills and Dolphins, I don't believe we've ever done that in our history.

If anything, your scenario supports my thesis that if we don't get off to a 2-0 start and have two AFC games in hand, two wildcard tiebreakers in hand, things stack against us.  There is just so far a semi-mediocre team can go against so many worthy opponents.

SAR I

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Please tell me you are not tutoring your children.

A team that finishes the NFL season 8-8 is a .500 club.

A team that finishes the NFL season one game better than a .500 club has a record of 9-7. 

But let's play odds-and-evens for another day.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sooooo you are teaching them this? 

I think every 7 year old knows that at the end of a complete NFL season with no ties, if you finish 1 game better than a..500 team your record is 9-7.  So, no, I don't teach them this.

SAR I

On August 3, 2016 at 11:58 AM, nyjunc said:

not that this means anything but an interesting fact about our series w/ the bengals.

The Jets have never lost to the Bengals in the Meadowlands(whether at the old Stadium or current Stadium).  The last time the Bengals went on the road and beat the Jets was 1981 at Shea Stadium.

I clearly remember Palmer beating the Jets in the Meadowland, his first season I think, with a long pass to Johnson I believe.  

On 8/2/2016 at 0:06 PM, SAR I said:

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles right there.

If the Jets go 0-2, lights out.

If the Jets go 1-1, lights out.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  It's sort of cool, actually.

SAR I

BwaaaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaHaHaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHaaHaaHaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaHaaaaaaaaaHaHaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

So you have us at:

2-4 in our first 6 games [Last year we were 4-2]

8-2 in our last 10 games [Last year we were 6-4]

2-5 against elite teams [Last year we were 2-2]

8-1 against losing teams [Last year we were 8-4]

I agree that we can beat 2 of 7 elite teams, it's consistent with last year.

I disagree that we can be almost perfect against losing teams, 8-1 is a huge stretch.

Your numbers include sweeps of the Bills and Dolphins, I don't believe we've ever done that in our history.

If anything, your scenario supports my thesis that if we don't get off to a 2-0 start and have two AFC games in hand, two wildcard tiebreakers in hand, things stack against us.  There is just so far a semi-mediocre team can go against so many worthy opponents.

SAR I

This isn't necessarily my prediction for the season ... I think we'll do better against some of the bigger teams. I was merely trying to fit into your scenario of not having to win >4 against the big teams.

Worth noting, my scenario doesn't require a sweep of both Buffalo and Miami ... in my "lose 1" comment against the non playoff teams from last year, that 1 could easily be Buffalo. Or we could lose the earlier game and still go 2-4 in our first 6. If you want to go extreme, we could lose BOTH Buffalo games and still go 10-6, but I'd doubt that would happen personally.

I think overall, my main point is that so much attention is being given to our early schedule that the far easier later schedule is almost being written off. KC did it last year, we may well do similar this year where we have a strong end to the season and make the playoffs on a hot streak as "the team no-one wants to face". I'd even go so far as to say that if we don't win at least 7 of our last 10, we don't belong in the playoffs. (Unless we're resting players in Week 17 having already clinched :-) ).

Just now, slats said:

The Jets beat the depleted, resting Patriots in week 16. What other elite team did they beat? 

Not necessarily "elite" but we were 2-2 against play off teams last year ... NE (1-1), Houston (0-1), Washington (1-0).

I think that was SAR's criteria in this.

38 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Not necessarily "elite" but we were 2-2 against play off teams last year ... NE (1-1), Houston (0-1), Washington (1-0).

I think that was SAR's criteria in this.

Wow, okay. 1-1 against two 9-7 playoff teams who were both knocked out in the wild card round. The elite Redskins were 2-3 when the Jets faced them. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

Wow, okay. 1-1 against two 9-7 playoff teams who were both knocked out in the wild card round. The elite Redskins were 2-3 when the Jets faced them. 

While not world-beaters, the Redskins did win their division and I thought it fair to consider them one of the better teams we played last year.

If anything, this illustrates just how easy our schedule was last year and how hard it is this year.  It's why a 2-0 start is a must-have, it's a 4 day season.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

While not world-beaters, the Redskins did win their division and I thought it fair to consider them one of the better teams we played last year.

If anything, this illustrates just how easy our schedule was last year and how hard it is this year.  It's why a 2-0 start is a must-have, it's a 4 day season.

SAR I

That, I agree with. 

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I clearly remember Palmer beating the Jets in the Meadowland, his first season I think, with a long pass to Johnson I believe.  

since we face palmer this year, I looked up what he has done against us:

2004 at NYJ(Palmer's first game):

Jets win 31-24, this was the game Curtis went nuts

Palmer was 18-27, 248 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT.  he did throw a long TD to Chad Johnson but that was w/ Jets up 31-17 and made final score 31-24.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200409120nyj.htm

2007 at Cincy:

Cin wins 38-31

Palmer 14-21, 226 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200710210cin.htm

2009 at NYJ:

Jets win 37-0, palmer only played half.

Palmer was 1-11, 0 yds, 1 INT

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001030nyj.htm

2009 Wild Card game at Cincy:

Jets win 24-14

Palmer was 18-36, 146 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001090cin.htm

2010 at NYJ:

Jets win 26-10

Palmer was 17-38, 135 yds, 1 TD, 2 INTs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201011250nyj.htm

Overall: 68-133, 755 yds, 5 Tds, 6 INTs, 62 rating, 1-4 record, led O to average of 16 PPG

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

since we face palmer this year, I looked up what he has done against us:

2004 at NYJ(Palmer's first game):

Jets win 31-24, this was the game Curtis went nuts

Palmer was 18-27, 248 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT.  he did throw a long TD to Chad Johnson but that was w/ Jets up 31-17 and made final score 31-24.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200409120nyj.htm

2007 at Cincy:

Cin wins 38-31

Palmer 14-21, 226 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200710210cin.htm

2009 at NYJ:

Jets win 37-0, palmer only played half.

Palmer was 1-11, 0 yds, 1 INT

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001030nyj.htm

2009 Wild Card game at Cincy:

Jets win 24-14

Palmer was 18-36, 146 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001090cin.htm

2010 at NYJ:

Jets win 26-10

Palmer was 17-38, 135 yds, 1 TD, 2 INTs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201011250nyj.htm

Overall: 68-133, 755 yds, 5 Tds, 6 INTs, 62 rating, 1-4 record, led O to average of 16 PPG

Uh, Carson Palmer has not played QB for my Bengals for many years. We have the ginger kid Andy Dalton now who had his best season last year. Looking forward to a good game. I wish we could just get to it and skip all this pre-season crap.

Archived