The Way To Look At It: The Jets Have a 4-Day Season

SAR I

5 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

Sounds like an opportunity to sell the bmw's, buy the porche, and pocket the difference.

One is mine.  One is the wife's.  One is my 18 year old son's.

Once you find a brand that suits your needs, it's very comfortable to settle in with one dealer, one service department, one operating system.

SAR I

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, billybroome said:

Uh, Carson Palmer has not played QB for my Bengals for many years. We have the ginger kid Andy Dalton now who had his best season last year. Looking forward to a good game. I wish we could just get to it and skip all this pre-season crap.

I wish we played you guys late in the season where historically you have some issues.  Early in the year, tough spot for us.

If you look at the Week 1 games between teams that had at least 10 wins last year, ours may be the best contest considering the missing QB's in the other games:

Panthers at Broncos

Patriots at Cardinals

Bengals at Jets

SAR I

On 8/5/2016 at 8:05 PM, billybroome said:

Uh, Carson Palmer has not played QB for my Bengals for many years. We have the ginger kid Andy Dalton now who had his best season last year. Looking forward to a good game. I wish we could just get to it and skip all this pre-season crap.

we do play palmer this year.

On August 3, 2016 at 10:31 PM, SAR I said:

Over a 14 game span 7-7 is a .500 record. 

Over a 14 game span 8-6 is 1 game over 7-7 or 1 game over .500  

Such math.  So statistical.

SAR I

Math for the braindead.  8-6 is 2 games over .500.  No matter what Abbott & Costello math you try to use. 

Whats so hard about saying, my bad.  

5 minutes ago, billybroome said:

Well maybe I'll finally get to see some Jets fans representing out here, because all I see are Giants fans if I see any New york fans at all.

in all the years the cards have been in Arizona the Jets have only played out there twice(1996 and 2004).  the good news is we are 2-0, the bad news is this current team is not like those old teams:D

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

in all the years the cards have been in Arizona the Jets have only played out there twice(1996 and 2004).  the good news is we are 2-0, the bad news is this current team is not like those old teams:D

You guys better be on your game, the Cardinals are tough, especially at home in Glendale.

18 minutes ago, billybroome said:

Well maybe I'll finally get to see some Jets fans representing out here, because all I see are Giants fans if I see any New york fans at all.

Question for ya brother.

one of the general knocks we've heard about Marvin Lewis is not having team prepared enough to win in the playoffs ... 0-7 ... Despite doing well by getting in to the tournament most years.

any hope as Jets fans he has a knock against him with slow starts / not prepared well enough week 1's as well ?

6 minutes ago, ljr said:

Question for ya brother.

one of the general knocks we've heard about Marvin Lewis is not having team prepared enough to win in the playoffs ... 0-7 ... Despite doing well by getting in to the tournament most years.

any hope as Jets fans he has a knock against him with slow starts / not prepared well enough week 1's as well ?

I don't have an issue with Marvin in week one games. Last year we came out firing on all cylinders and didn't lose until game 10 or so. It's just the whole playoff thing that gets me pissed. Last year we HAD that playoff game won against the hated Steelers until that stupid fumble and subsequent meltdown. I couldn't f**king believe what I was watching...

That being said I'd love to see my Bengals break their losing streak at the Meadowlands. We won't have our best TE Eifert, nor our best LB Burfict. It doesn't look promising.

5 minutes ago, billybroome said:

I don't have an issue with Marvin in week one games. Last year we came out firing on all cylinders and didn't lose until game 10 or so. It's just the whole playoff thing that gets me pissed. Last year we HAD that playoff game won against the hated Steelers until that stupid fumble and subsequent meltdown. I couldn't f**king believe what I was watching...

That being said I'd love to see my Bengals break their losing streak at the Meadowlands. We won't have our best TE Eifert, nor our best LB Burfict. It doesn't look promising.

Us not having Sheldon will hurt as well... Def could be a coin flip either way

• 4 weeks later...

Okay then, we're one week away.

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles, one week from today.

If the Jets go 0-2, lights out.

If the Jets go 1-1, lights out.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  I like some of what I saw in preseason (defense, special teams) and not so much (running game, starting offense) so it's going to be a crapshoot methinks.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Okay then, we're one week away.

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles, one week from today.

If the Jets go 0-2, lights out.

If the Jets go 1-1, lights out.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  I like some of what I saw in preseason (defense, special teams) and not so much (running game, starting offense) so it's going to be a crapshoot methinks.

SAR I

Could help to explain why the number of Jets fans singing up for Sunday Ticket is on the decline. 

On 8/2/2016 at 0:21 PM, SAR I said:

No.

After the first 2 games, the Jets have 6 games remaining against playoff teams and 8 against non-playoff teams.  We get in by going 2-4 against playoff teams and 6-2 against non-playoff teams.  I believe that is all we are capable of.

SAR I

Except it doesn't always work that way for a example the Jets were a playoff team in 06 and went 4-12 in 07..The Fins were 1-15 in 07 and 11-5 in 08.. What a team does in a season one year doesn't guarantee the same result the next season..Also some of the teams that weren't in the playoffs last year maybe this season..

14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Except it doesn't always work that way for a example the Jets were a playoff team in 06 and went 4-12 in 07..The Fins were 1-15 in 07 and 11-5 in 08.. What a team does in a season one year doesn't guarantee the same result the next season..Also some of the teams that weren't in the playoffs last year maybe this season..

Understood, but I feel very strongly that of all the years we've felt good entering a season this is the one where our focus in the early week(s) has to be extreme and we must come out on the winning side.  One can argue with Manning's retirement and Brady's suspension that Cincinnati is the top team in the AFC entering the year and the Bills have our number.

We come out of this 4 day stretch 2-0 it's going to be a fun season, pressure will feel very different, confidence will be high entering a 10 day bye period.  2-0 in the conference against potential playoff teams, 1-0 in the division, monkey off the back from last year's Buffalo disaster, we will be flying high and ready for KC.

But if it doesn't go our way, very different scenario.  0-2 we'd have a must-win at Kansas City while blowing our Brady window, we'd have to go 10-4 the rest of the way with a stacked schedule.  Even 1-1 presents tiebreaker problems.

SAR I

On 2016-08-02 at 0:24 PM, Augustiniak said:

i think the worst part of the schedule isn't how difficult it is - it's that the pattern is H A A H A A H A A.  i am completely at a loss to understand how the jets could have only 3 of their first 9 games at home.  wft?

The answer you seek is in the schedule itself....

HAA     HAA   HAA

The league is laughing at us...

45 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The answer you seek is in the schedule itself....

HAA     HAA   HAA

The league is laughing at us...

Worst schedule ever:

6 game opening stretch is a killer.

6 of first 9 on the road.

3 consecutive home games at 8:30 at night in December.

How Woody Johnson signed off on this is beyond me.

SAR I

SAR is right about this. Both Bengals and Bills are capable of beating themselves if you force the issue.The Bengals defense is a collection of morons, the Bills will make mistakes if you force it.  In both games, need to attack every series on offense. If we see any 3 yard passes on 3rd and 6, then, forget it. Core problem of this CS; like all the other defense-oriented HCs we've had forever since Parcells, Bowles has installed an OC who calls plays instead of grasping the clock, score, down and distance and basic strategy. Also, having a $12 million QB should usually entail   throwing  effectively outside the numbers and more than 15 yards in the air.

On 8/2/2016 at 0:24 PM, Augustiniak said:

i think the worst part of the schedule isn't how difficult it is - it's that the pattern is H A A H A A H A A.  i am completely at a loss to understand how the jets could have only 3 of their first 9 games at home.  wft?

Another way to look at it.   If we go 5-4 coming out of that stretch, we have 5 more home games the rest of the season.  If we go 5 and 2 in the last 7 games we'd still be at 10 and 6.

Fitz is going to need to find his groove early on here.  Teams will take away B. Marshall and Decker so Enunwa, Jalin Marshall, Anderson, and Bostick are going to have to make some plays.  He's also going to need to find Forte as his safety valve early and often to keep the chains moving.

1 hour ago, Fibonacci said:

We made fun of SAR but he really has a point. I don't think we will be eliminated with a 1-1 start but if we go 2-0 our playoff chances will be very very decent. If we go 0-2, I don't think we will be able to recover rest of the way. 

If we go 2-0 we then only need to go 8-6 the rest of the way, just a game better than 7-7, completely do-able.

But if we go 0-2 we would have to go 10-4 which is mathematically impossible, just look at the schedule, would mean we'd have to sweep the Patriots, win in Pittsburgh, win in Arizona, it's just not happening.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, peebag said:

If we're 3-3 after the first 6 games, this team will be in the playoffs. But I just don't see us doing that.

Yes, we have to get to 3-3 but that requires a start of 2-0.  Would look like this:

Cincinnati (W)

at Buffalo (W)

at KC (L)

Seattle (W)

at Pittsburgh (L)

at Arizona (L)

We win our 2 home games and take care of Buffalo in a short week.  It's the only path to 3-3 which is the only path to 10-6.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If we go 2-0 we then only need to go 8-6 the rest of the way, just a game better than 7-7, completely do-able.

But if we go 0-2 we would have to go 10-4 which is mathematically impossible, just look at the schedule, would mean we'd have to sweep the Patriots, win in Pittsburgh, win in Arizona, it's just not happening.

SAR I

Not to nit-pick, but 10-4 may not be doable, but it is mathematically possible. In fact, any combination of wins/losses that add up to the number of remaining games like 14-0 and 0-14 are mathematically possible. Winning 15 of your last 14 games, that is mathematically impossible.

:-)

56 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Not to nit-pick, but 10-4 may not be doable, but it is mathematically possible. In fact, any combination of wins/losses that add up to the number of remaining games like 14-0 and 0-14 are mathematically possible. Winning 15 of your last 14 games, that is mathematically impossible.

:-)

Wow, learn something new every day.  Like I wasn't emphasizing "impossible".  Here, better use of your time, if the Jets go 0-2 show me the 10 wins from this list:

@Chiefs
Seahawks
@Steelers
@Cardinals
Ravens
@Browns
@Dolphins
Rams
Patriots
Colts
@49ers
Dolphins
@Patriots
Bills

The Jets didn't win a single road game last year against a quality opponent.  We have 3 non-division in this stretch.  That's 0-3.

The Jets haven't swept the Bills and Patriots in decades, let's say we sweep the Fish and split the rest.  That's 4-2.

We have 5 remaining games against weaker non-division opponents, we did well in this regard last year but still lost a fluke.  That's 4-1.

Add it all up, we'd be 0-2 to start and 8-6 to finish, that's 8-8.

To lose the first 2 and make it to 10 wins and the playoffs, we would have to do something like this:

- Sweep the Patriots and the Bills to go a perfect 6-0 in the division.

or

- Go a perfect 5-0 against the weaklings: Ravens, @Browns, Rams, Colts, @49ers and beat 1 elite team on the road

or

- Win 2 of the following 3 games: @Chiefs, @Steelers, @Cardinals

What was that you said about this being "mathematically possible" again?  LOL.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wow, learn something new every day.  Like I wasn't emphasizing "impossible".  Here, better use of your time, if the Jets go 0-2 show me the 10 wins from this list:

@Chiefs
Seahawks
@Steelers
@Cardinals
Ravens
@Browns
@Dolphins
Rams
Patriots
Colts
@49ers
Dolphins
@Patriots
Bills

The Jets didn't win a single road game last year against a quality opponent.  We have 3 non-division in this stretch.  That's 0-3.

The Jets haven't swept the Bills and Patriots in decades, let's say we sweep the Fish and split the rest.  That's 4-2.

We have 5 remaining games against weaker non-division opponents, we did well in this regard last year but still lost a fluke.  That's 4-1.

Add it all up, we'd be 0-2 to start and 8-6 to finish, that's 8-8.

To lose the first 2 and make it to 10 wins and the playoffs, we would have to do something like this:

- Sweep the Patriots and the Bills to go a perfect 6-0 in the division.

or

- Go a perfect 5-0 against the weaklings: Ravens, @Browns, Rams, Colts, @49ers and beat 1 elite team on the road

or

- Win 2 of the following 3 games: @Chiefs, @Steelers, @Cardinals

What was that you said about this being "mathematically possible" again?  LOL.

SAR I

we last swept NE last decade in 2000.

we last swept Buffalo this decade in 2011

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Might be difficult. But not impossible. And most certainly is not mathematically impossible. If the Jets needed 15 wins in their last 14 games, that would be impossible. But 10 of of 14? It's possible.

Archived