The Way To Look At It: The Jets Have a 4-Day Season

SAR I

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Not to nit-pick, but 10-4 may not be doable, but it is mathematically possible. In fact, any combination of wins/losses that add up to the number of remaining games like 14-0 and 0-14 are mathematically possible. Winning 15 of your last 14 games, that is mathematically impossible.

:-)

We're o the same wavelength!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you guys holding SARI to the impossible remark.  We all should know what he meant.  It gets very very hard and unlikely to make the post season  if we are 0-2.  Hard to dispute that.  Hoping for 2-0 of course but 1-1 will be ok with me.  If we come out 3-3 we'll be golden.    

Alot of speculations here. Who says we have to go 11-4 to make the playoffs. NE may not have a big win season having Brady out for 4 games. Injuries play a big part in football. Everybody knows that. No one knows what the division will end up with in  W-L. We could make the playoffs with 9 wins. Maybe 8. Hell the Seahawks had a losing record one year and made the playoffs. Im not writing the Jets off after 2 games. Or even 4 games.

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wow, learn something new every day.  Like I wasn't emphasizing "impossible".  Here, better use of your time, if the Jets go 0-2 show me the 10 wins from this list:

@Chiefs
Seahawks
@Steelers
@Cardinals
Ravens
@Browns
@Dolphins
Rams
Patriots
Colts
@49ers
Dolphins
@Patriots
Bills

The Jets didn't win a single road game last year against a quality opponent.  We have 3 non-division in this stretch.  That's 0-3.

The Jets haven't swept the Bills and Patriots in decades, let's say we sweep the Fish and split the rest.  That's 4-2.

We have 5 remaining games against weaker non-division opponents, we did well in this regard last year but still lost a fluke.  That's 4-1.

Add it all up, we'd be 0-2 to start and 8-6 to finish, that's 8-8.

To lose the first 2 and make it to 10 wins and the playoffs, we would have to do something like this:

- Sweep the Patriots and the Bills to go a perfect 6-0 in the division.

or

- Go a perfect 5-0 against the weaklings: Ravens, @Browns, Rams, Colts, @49ers and beat 1 elite team on the road

or

- Win 2 of the following 3 games: @Chiefs, @Steelers, @Cardinals

What was that you said about this being "mathematically possible" again?  LOL.

SAR I

Dude. I was giving you a hard time about your choice of 'mathematically impossible' like when people say 'literally' when they mean figuratively. Chill, I wasn't arguing with your premise. FYI, It was your choice of 'mathematically' not 'impossible' is was mocking (and in a tongue and check way).

While i agree starting out 0-2 doesn't bode well for the Jets. It would be highly unlikely that they make the playoffs, but not impossible (mathematically or otherwise). The real question is this, assuming the Jets start off 0-2 (or whatever) how bad does it have to get before they decide to play Petty? Do they wait until the are really mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? Hopefully, this isn't something we find out.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the upside to 0-2 would hopefully be a QB change.  Chances are if we're 0-2, Fitz would be shouldering much of the blame.

So in short, even being 0-2 wouldn't end the season.  No way there are "must wins" already.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Why are you guys holding SARI to the impossible remark.  We all should know what he meant.  It gets very very hard and unlikely to make the post season  if we are 0-2.  Hard to dispute that.  Hoping for 2-0 of course but 1-1 will be ok with me.  If we come out 3-3 we'll be golden.    

Yes, 3-3 is the goal but the only way to get to 3-3 is 2-0.  1-1 means we have to go 2-2 against @Chiefs, Seahawks, @Steelers, @Cardinals and I just don't see that happening.  It's mathefundementally impossible.

SAR I

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Alot of speculations here. Who says we have to go 11-4 to make the playoffs. NE may not have a big win season having Brady out for 4 games. Injuries play a big part in football. Everybody knows that. No one knows what the division will end up with in  W-L. We could make the playoffs with 9 wins. Maybe 8. Hell the Seahawks had a losing record one year and made the playoffs. Im not writing the Jets off after 2 games. Or even 4 games.

It's hard enough to imagine the Jets winning one of these games...

@Chiefs, Seahawks, @Steelers, @Cardinals

...after losing these games...

Bengals, @Bills

...seeing that the first two games are easier than any of the following four.

Imagine the 0-3 Jets facing the 3-0 Seahawks (they play the Dolphins, 49ers, and Rams) in front of an angry MetLife crowd a month from now.  It's what Vegas and the experts expect to happen, it would be chaos.  Oh, and then we only have to go to Pittsburgh and Arizona!

I'm sorry, the only way this season ends in the playoffs is a 2-0 start.  It's mathemagically impossible any other way.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the upside to 0-2 would hopefully be a QB change.  Chances are if we're 0-2, Fitz would be shouldering much of the blame.

So in short, even being 0-2 wouldn't end the season.

Wait.  An "upside" to 0-2 would be a quarterback change?  LOL.  Ha ha ha.  Ho ho ho.  He he he.

Because Geno Smith is the guy that's going to save our season?  Let me remind you what our schedule looks like after 0-2:

@Chiefs
Seahawks
@Steelers
@Cardinals

Hey, if you want 0-6 and a shot at the #1 pick Geno's your man.

SAR I

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

@SAR I I find this four day season rather disturbing.  Max won't even close on the JN motor home of love by then.  Any way to extend it?  I mean like besides winning.  

Ha ha ha.  That's more funny than Geno Smith rescuing the 0-2 Jets.

Please tell Max that if he's in the RV for the Jets he's best to wait until 2018 when Brady and Bellichick retire and Maccagnan has the roster built properly, anything until then would be a [insert culturally witty motor home saying here].

SAR I

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wait.  An "upside" to 0-2 would be a quarterback change?  LOL.  Ha ha ha.  Ho ho ho.  He he he.

Because Geno Smith is the guy that's going to save our season?  Let me remind you what our schedule looks like after 0-2:

@Chiefs
Seahawks
@Steelers
@Cardinals

Hey, if you want 0-6 and a shot at the #1 pick Geno's your man.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's my point.  This is an unprecedented schedule.

Sunday is a must-win game.  It actually is.

SAR I

I hear what you're saying and yeah... 2-0 is definitely important given this ridiculous schedule.  I'm just not thinking it's as doom n gloom as you suggest.

2-0 means everything is going to plan and Fitz is worth 12mil.  We're probably playoff bound.

1-1 is potentially the worst outcome.  Could mean we're in for a similar season to last year except with tougher opponents.  Fitz stays mediocre, we finish 8-8 and are still in limbo at QB.

0-2 sucks in the short-term, but potentially pushes Bowles to make a switch at QB.  Maybe the team does better with one of the kids.  Heck, the hard upcoming games would sort of relieve any pressure from whichever QB was playing.  They wouldn't be expected to win if the $12mil QB couldn't win vs lesser teams.  But undoubtedly we're making progress instead of treading water at QB.

It's a fun time of year.  Hopefully everything goes great and we're 2-0, but there are a ton of ways this season can play out.  Not all of 'em negative if we don't start 2-0.

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ha ha ha.  That's more funny than Geno Smith rescuing the 0-2 Jets.

Please tell Max that if he's in the RV for the Jets he's best to wait until 2018 when Brady and Bellichick retire and Maccagnan has the roster built properly, anything until then would be a [insert culturally witty motor home saying here].

SAR I

You tell him. I need this job.  

Just now, Mike135 said:

I hear what you're saying and yeah... 2-0 is definitely important given this ridiculous schedule.  I'm just not thinking it's as doom n gloom as you suggest.

2-0 means everything is going to plan and Fitz is worth 12mil.  We're probably playoff bound.

1-1 is potentially the worst outcome.  Could mean we're in for a similar season to last year except with tougher opponents.  Fitz stays mediocre, we finish 8-8 and are still in limbo at QB.

0-2 sucks in the short-term, but potentially pushes Bowles to make a switch at QB.  Maybe the team does better with one of the kids.  Heck, the hard upcoming games would sort of relieve any pressure from whichever QB was playing.  They wouldn't be expected to win if the $12mil QB couldn't win vs lesser teams.  But undoubtedly we're making progress instead of treading water at QB.

It's a fun time of year.  Hopefully everything goes great and we're 2-0, but there are a ton of way this season can play out.  Not all of 'em negative if we don't start 2-0.

Good post, agree completely as long as the QB switch is to Bryce Petty.  As I sit here today depressed over our schedule, the glimmer of hope in a theoretical downtrodden year would be if we could validate Petty and Hackenberg, see if they are worth further investment or if its time to draft another pair.

SAR I

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's hard enough to imagine the Jets winning one of these games...

@Chiefs, Seahawks, @Steelers, @Cardinals

...after losing these games...

Bengals, @Bills

...seeing that the first two games are easier than any of the following four.

Imagine the 0-3 Jets facing the 3-0 Seahawks (they play the Dolphins, 49ers, and Rams) in front of an angry MetLife crowd a month from now.  It's what Vegas and the experts expect to happen, it would be chaos.  Oh, and then we only have to go to Pittsburgh and Arizona!

I'm sorry, the only way this season ends in the playoffs is a 2-0 start.  It's mathemagically impossible any other way.

SAR I

Have faith my Jet brother. It's not the same ol' Jets.

I can se a 3-3 or 2-4 start that they can build on.

Forte and Powell.

If they can stay on the field and be productive it will keep the pressure off Fitz.

Look at Fitz's game in Buffalo when Ivory was out.

Also, I remember when Fitz was with Buffalo he struggled when he had no choice but to try and carry the team.

15 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Have faith my Jet brother. It's not the same ol' Jets.

I have faith in the Jets, but I am very discouraged by the schedule and what I've seen from the starters in the preseason.

Let's hold on tight and hope for the best, a week from today we know our fate.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I have faith in the Jets, but I am very discouraged by the schedule and what I've seen from the starters in the preseason.

Let's hold on tight and hope for the best, a week from today we know our fate.

SAR I

Your right. It's absolutely crazy to think that by next Thursday night at about 11:30- 12:00 AM we might know which direction our season is trending. You wait so long for the season to start & the excitement of the schedule release.

I have to admit, I had to look at our schedule a few times to realize that it was probably the most difficult schedule I've seen a team draw. 5 playoff teams & a team (Bills) that beat us twice in the 1st 6 games. It's really crazy to see @ Chiefs, @ Cardinals, @ Steelers! That's 2 division winners & the AFCCG runner up! You then add in 2 games vs the Pats who haven't won less than 10 games in 12 years & you just have to say HOLY SH*T! 

Could be a wild ride with Fitz leading the charge or a glimpse of our future if Petty has to take over. It's not gonna be boring either way it goes, that's for sure.

I'm sure everyone's had fun here.  but isn't it always the case that teams that go 0-2 in the first two are relatively unlikely to make the playoffs?

So why is this even more news if the two games are against tough opponents compared to the weak sisters coming later in the season, or even the average opponents for teams in their first two games?

Not sure I get the point here in terms of how it would be different in any other year.

Yeah, I get that the Jets need to get past Buffalo given recent history there and them being a divisional opponent they will also face later.   But losing the first two is always tough.  Not sure what the hoopla is here.

56 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Your right. It's absolutely crazy to think that by next Thursday night at about 11:30- 12:00 AM we might know which direction our season is trending. You wait so long for the season to start & the excitement of the schedule release.

I have to admit, I had to look at our schedule a few times to realize that it was probably the most difficult schedule I've seen a team draw. 5 playoff teams & a team (Bills) that beat us twice in the 1st 6 games. It's really crazy to see @ Chiefs, @ Cardinals, @ Steelers! That's 2 division winners & the AFCCG runner up! You then add in 2 games vs the Pats who haven't won less than 10 games in 12 years & you just have to say HOLY SH*T! 

Could be a wild ride with Fitz leading the charge or a glimpse of our future if Petty has to take over. It's not gonna be boring either way it goes, that's for sure.

jesjesus_zpsa69qg8ip.jpg

All we can do, Brother Jetster.  All we can do.

SAR I

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

i like the topic and discussion you started here.

so, question for you - if We start 2-0, you think we are going to make the playoffs?  i know you said 0-2 means no playoffs.

i think we go 1-1.

Yes, I believe if we go 2-0 we can be one game better than .500 the rest of the way and get to 10-6 and get a wildcard. 

Catching the Bengals early and beating the Bills is the only way to avoid a 1-5 or 0-6 start.  The first 2 games are the easiest of the first 6 to win.

SAR I

On August 2, 2016 at 0:06 PM, SAR I said:

9/11 - Bengals at Jets

9/15 - Jets at Bills

We can have a lot of talk and a lot of speculation, but in the end the Jets season boils down to 4 days.  Week 1, 2 games, all the marbles right there.

If the Jets go 0-2, lights out.

If the Jets go 1-1, lights out.

If the Jets go 2-0, we're set for a good season.  We'd only have to go 1 game above .500 for the remaining 14 games, one division win, two conference wins, both against wildcard candidates.  Go 8-6 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and a likely wildcard berth.

Unlike fans of other teams, we are going to know in 4 days whether or not we have a playoff team.  It's sort of cool, actually.

SAR I

Well fck...now I'm not sure I even want to watch.....too much pressure for this weary fan...not sure I can take it....I might break my tv, jump off the roof, pull the tail off the cat, plow the old lady.....thx for nothing!

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We never had a problem putting down the pats, or atleast be in a position to win.. It's the dam bills give us more of a problem.. It's not always about records/match ups. Only quitters and non ex athletes think this way..

Ladanian?  Is that you?

Until the first game is played all we have as a go-by is last season's performance, and going by last year our schedule this year is deadly, especially the gauntlet the NFL is making us run in the first 6 weeks.  And while it's not only about records and match ups, sequencing matters.  It is going to be tough enough to play the Chiefs at Arrowhead, face the 3-0 Seahawks, go to Pittsburgh, and take a second trip out West to Arizona if we are 2-0.  Imagine that 4 game set if we open the year 0-2.

Things spiral out of control if we don't open 2-0, it's why Sunday is a must-win, it's why we have a 4 day season.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Well fck...now I'm not sure I even want to watch.....too much pressure for this weary fan...not sure I can take it....I might break my tv, jump off the roof, pull the tail off the cat, plow the old lady.....thx for nothing!

Sorry, not trying to depress you. 

We have a very good chance of winning on Sunday and with that adrenaline we can go into Buffalo and extract revenge on Rex.  This may be the best 4 days of Jets football in years, we'd then have 10 days of 2-0 breathing room preparing for the trip to KC, something to get excited about.

SAR I

We play the Bungles at home. That's a break. They are tough at home. Eifert  is out and their WR's aren't as polished. Burlict is suspended and is the pulse of their D - another break. Key is can our db's hold Dalton in check mode and can our lb's apply pressure.  If not, Dalton will pick Jet D apart.  Another break is we play Bills in Buffalo early in the season. We get to avoid the frigid weather up there in winter and they are decimated with injuries. And they play on the 15th which is my birthday so they will win. We will go 2-0 to start the season. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Ladanian?  Is that you?

Until the first game is played all we have as a go-by is last season's performance, and going by last year our schedule this year is deadly, especially the gauntlet the NFL is making us run in the first 6 weeks.  And while it's not only about records and match ups, sequencing matters.  It is going to be tough enough to play the Chiefs at Arrowhead, face the 3-0 Seahawks, go to Pittsburgh, and take a second trip out West to Arizona if we are 2-0.  Imagine that 4 game set if we open the year 0-2.

Things spiral out of control if we don't open 2-0, it's why Sunday is a must-win, it's why we have a 4 day season.

SAR I

Your entitled to your extremely minority opinion but I like many totally disagree.. The bengals could have the game of their lives, fitz could have his worst.. That has nothing to do with the rest of the season.. Like I said, this is a quitter mentality.. I'm sure you were one who thought, " there is no way the jets can beat the pats in foxboro in the playoffs after just getting pummeled 45-3 weeks before. " but it happened.. Sure it will get harder if we lose Sunday, this isn't baseball, every single game is big.. Can only lose about 5-6 and still make the playoffs.. So if they do lose Sunday, pressure will be on week 2.. Nobody likes to go 0-2 with hopes of the playoffs..

Archived