Training camp thread 08/02/16

Maxman

Joe Blewett @joerb31 is at camp today and will be tweeting for us. He will Ajay have a full breakdown on the show tonight.

I'm not home so if there are any volunteers to update this thread once practice starts that would be helpful.

Thanks.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets activated LG James Carpenter off of the Physically Unable to Perform List, making him eligible to participate in training camp practices. Slowed by a hamstring injury, Carpenter was replaced by Dakota Dozier at LG for the first four days of camp. Carpenter, a six-year veteran who started 16 games in his first season with the Jets, was part of an offense that established a franchise record with 5,925 yards. He was a powerful force for a rush unit that finished No. 10 overall and he was also sturdy in pass protection as the Jets were No. 2 in sacks allowed with 22.

30 minutes ago, TexJet said:

The Jets activated LG James Carpenter off of the Physically Unable to Perform List, making him eligible to participate in training camp practices. Slowed by a hamstring injury, Carpenter was replaced by Dakota Dozier at LG for the first four days of camp. Carpenter, a six-year veteran who started 16 games in his first season with the Jets, was part of an offense that established a franchise record with 5,925 yards. He was a powerful force for a rush unit that finished No. 10 overall and he was also sturdy in pass protection as the Jets were No. 2 in sacks allowed with 22.

That's definitely awesome news.  Probably the least concerning of the unexpected/unknown injuries coming into camp.  OL has some questions surrounding it already and Carpenter was arguably their best OL last year, so great to have him back.

6 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

It's really impossible to overstate what a huge boost it would give the Jets to have an above average punter for the first time in a decade.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here:  Punter has been overrated here because of how bad our offense has been just about ever year.  The best punter is one you rarely have to use.  :)

Meaning it is possible to overstate how important a good punter would be for us.  When we're complaining about how bad our punting game is, it usually is a signal that we have much bigger problems, and the punter (who isn't really a person anyways) becomes an easy scapegoat.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll play Devil's Advocate here:  Punter has been overrated here because of how bad our offense has been just about ever year.  The best punter is one you rarely have to use.  :)

Meaning it is possible to overstate how important a good punter would be for us.  When we're complaining about how bad our punting game is, it usually is a signal that we have much bigger problems, and the punter (who isn't really a person anyways) becomes an easy scapegoat.

That's a great point. Moving the ball helps your special teams too. Punting from your own 35/40 instead of before the 20. 2014 was like a bad dream. I always felt like we started behind the 20 all season.

Just now, Jetster said:

That's a great point. Moving the ball helps your special teams too. Punting from your own 35/40 instead of before the 20. 2014 was like a bad dream. I always felt like we started behind the 20 all season.

Or......scoring!  I know, I know, this has seemed out of the question most years. 

Archived