Path cleared for Geno to become a Cowboy

johnnyjet

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

Kellen Moore, Romos backup, broke his ankle in practice. Jets should trade Geno now and get the 1st rounder some of you believe he is worth.  Lol. 

Foles price just went up

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Fitzpatrick is older than dirt and has a long injury history. I don't think it's the best idea to have him backed up by a couple of guys who'll be selling insurance in three years.

I actually agree here.  Let Geno play out his cheap contract and provide a buffer between Fitz and Hackenberg/Petty.  Carrying 4 QB's isn't the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Fitzpatrick is older than dirt and has a long injury history. I don't think it's the best idea to have him backed up by a couple of guys who'll be selling insurance in three years.

Yeah you don't unload your cheap insurance policy on a win-now team

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I actually agree here.  Let Geno play out his cheap contract and provide a buffer between Fitz and Hackenberg/Petty.  Carrying 4 QB's isn't the end of the world.

Precisely.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This.  The odds are very good he gets injured this year and misses time. 

There is nothing gained in trading Geno now.  We are a win-now team, and protecting that with an acceptable #2 QB is important.  Geno may not be acceptable as a #1, but he is fine as a #2.

And sarcasm aside, no one is trading us for Geno.  The Cowboys will almost assuredly look to Foles.

Of course, had the injury occured earlier, they might have looked to Fitz too.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is nothing gained in trading Geno now.  We are a win-now team, and protecting that with an acceptable #2 QB is important.  Geno may not be acceptable as a #1, but he is fine as a #2.

And sarcasm aside, no one is trading us for Geno.  The Cowboys will almost assuredly look to Foles.

Of course, had the injury occured earlier, they might have looked to Fitz too.  

Geno has shown he can go .500, which is really all you can expect from a backup, to hold down the fort and keep you in the hunt until your starter comes back. Unless you are the goddam patriots when you get one pro bowl QB knocked out with a torn aorta and voila! your 6th round GOAT comes in off the bench. Sickening.

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Disagree with that. Sounds like a few of the UDFA guys have flashed, and I'd hate to lose one just so we can carry two QBs who aren't going to see a single snap all season.

You can just juggle the inactives week to week based on injuries and opponents. It's harsh, but you cut guys and bring em back

5 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

Geno is probably a top 5 backup FWIW. Not in the business of ranking backups. It's not a steep dropoff going from Fitz to Geno if he gets hurt. Geno is cheap. Dumb thread

I don't think fans get this? Geno is better than a lot of teams have at backup & he's cheap as sh*t. He's in Chans offense for a 2nd year. He's looking good & confident and proving to his teammates he's been humbled.

I guess you could always put a ridiculous price on Geno and see how stupid/desperate Jerry is. I mean if he was willing to cough up a 2nd rounder, unload him and go get Foles. But it'll never happen so pretty moot.

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Petty to the PS sounds good to me.

I doubt he lasts long on the PS even if he clears waivers. QB's will get injured in preseason and regular season and I can see some team signing him off the PS. Now if the Jets feel Petty's ceiling is a 3rd stringer that will certainly happen

Geno is PRIMED for a breakout season. More so than he ever has. Everyone knows he has the talent. The Jets won't get much for him b/c of his poor resume. That doesn't mean he's not ready to go out and light it up when given the opportunity. Geno, Fitz and Hack are LOCKS to make the roster. More so than any UDFA that has 'flashed' or any 3rd string backup. The question is- what is Petty worth to the Jets? Do they believe he can develop into a legitimate starter? They need to seriously evaluate him and see if he is worth keeping as a 4th QB or worth the risk of putting him out there to make PS. Maybe the Jets trade Petty? I dunno. If they don't really believe he will develop, that might make sense.

And for those that are saying, well, we will only have one QB signed next year if we let Petty go. Well, if you don;t believe Petty can be a starter, who cares. And the Jets will have plenty of money to sign Fitz, or Geno or whomever. And lets not forget that the ONE QB still signed next year, is the young, very talented, potential Franchise QB you just drafted in the 2nd round.  

To me, whether or not we keep 4 QBs completely hinges on Petty and how the Jets view his development. 

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Only thing that gives this any legs is that it seems Todd Bowles absolutely can't stand G Smith. 

I'm inclined to agree, but Petty isn't doing what was required to move smith.

Barring some un-forseen  incident, smith will be on the opening day roster.  The question is, will Petty? 

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Only thing that gives this any legs is that it seems Todd Bowles absolutely can't stand G Smith. 

I don't believe that at all. If that was the case he wouldn't have cut Ik to make a statement.

Bowles just feels more comfortable with a guy that broke the ALL TIME RECORD in TDs for the NY Jets last year,lol.

While I understand the argument that Fitzpatrick might get hurt and Smith would be better as a backup than Petty or Hackenburg, the value of that service will depend on it being a limited need.  Stepping in for one or two games might not mean that the overall season will be lost.  But more than that and I think it would mean the season would be lost.  At which point you might as well play Petty or Hackenburg.

The other argument for trading Smith now is that you might as well see what can be gotten for him, since he is virtually certain to be gone, and the Jets are virtually certain I think not to exercise an option on him.  So if he stays on the team this season, he will be gone for no trade value. 

But... I doubt he could bring any real trade value now, either.  I can't see Dallas wanting him.

So in the end this thread's discussion is of very minor importance.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Johnny football !!!!

They will that job too if they sold this ^^ guy insurance 

the problem is petty isn't ready to be a viable #2.  that's why mccags said the other day that geno "will probably be on the roster".  in their ideal world they release or deal geno and keep the qbs they've drafted.  it's actually one of the key things of camp.  i could also see them keeping 4 qbs and maybe releasing geno at some point during the season b/c of injuries to other positions or b/c petty is more ready.  

Would be great to see him go to the Cowboys. He'll have a great offensive line, one of the best targets in the game and a young explosive rookie RB. Hopefully the Cowboys make the call and can see through the crap slinging. 

Tony Romo is finished soon, maybe finished already depending on the next sack he takes. This would be a prime opportunity to leave a bad situation and enter a better one. 

No need for Macc to have him hanging around here. The Jets dont want to use him, he cant compete for anything and there's no need to run the risk of either holding 4 QB's on the roster or placing Petty on waivers hoping that he clears. Geno's been a professional about the situation, allow him to walk and get away from the team and fanbase while at the same time allowing Petty the opportunity to develop since this FO drafted him. 

It's obviously time to move on. 

It's honestly Geno's best interest to get out of New York after the season is over, unless he goes nuts with the ball this season of course. But playing for a city that doesn't respect is kind of hard to do. 

And that worries me because now that Fitz is back, everyone will s#!t on him and that could lead to him losing confidence and thus play bad.

I just really want Fitz to do great this season. Please get the Jets to the playoffs. You've got the chemistry with this team.

4 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Kellen Moore, Romos backup, broke his ankle in practice. Jets should trade Geno now and get the 1st rounder some of you believe he is worth.  Lol. 

No need to call out other posters for believing in a Jets player. Nobody here thinks he is worth a 1st rounder, and the Jets won't trade their backup. Makes no sense.

Archived