Path cleared for Geno to become a Cowboy

johnnyjet

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't feel bad with Geno being traded away for a reasonable deal but we would be exposed at QB if Fitz is injured and we have to rely on Petty/Hack for more than a few downs. It would have to be a deal worth taking that risk. I'd rather eat a fourth QB on the roster this year and let Geno walk at the end of the season and hope for a comp pick.

56 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

For ****s sake, what is it about Geno Smith? He's a backup quarterback. If the coaching staff thought otherwise they'd play him. It's not like there isnt two years worth of games where he sucked. Christ almighty enough.

So is Fitz, and I fear will amply display that in our first 6 games. I see almost no realistic scenario the overrated beard finishe's the seaon as starter

5 hours ago, billo83 said:

I doubt he lasts long on the PS even if he clears waivers. QB's will get injured in preseason and regular season and I can see some team signing him off the PS. Now if the Jets feel Petty's ceiling is a 3rd stringer that will certainly happen

I don't know. If he is put on the PS as part of final cutdowns, I don't know how many teams are going to rush to sign a player 1) that just got cut because he's unworthy of a roster spot on a qb-poor team, and 2) that they've never seen live after college, outside of a little bit of meaningless preseason action. And if they liked him that much from college, surely they'd have taken him in round 3 a couple of years ago. 

Don't discount that if we're trying to stash him on the PS, it's likely to happen after his poor performance in (televised) preseason game(s), on top of a less than encouraging camp. In other words, teams aren't likely to be rushing like crazy to sign him because he stinks.

If he looks decent in preseason practices and games, the team will just keep all 4.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

For ****s sake, what is it about Geno Smith? He's a backup quarterback. If the coaching staff thought otherwise they'd play him. It's not like there isnt two years worth of games where he sucked. Christ almighty enough.

Just like there's 10 years of Fitz sucking. In the NFL starting QB's get injured , for a win now team , it would be lunacy to trade Geno unless a quality backup is coming back in the deal. 

There will be other injured Qbs even probably in training camp.  And opportunities to trade Geno. Of course it's to the teams and Geno's advantage to go over to a new team asap. To learn their offense. Is Geno really "light years" ahead of what he was last year. If so keep him. But if not then go with Hack as our backup. With a very dumbed down playbook. He couldn't operate the entire offense yet. But would his natural talent in a simple offense mostly running and short passes be better or as good as what Geno could bring to the table. It's up to the org and coaches,. If Bowles meant what he said earlier and Geno has learned a lot then you keep him. As for compensation. I'd take a 6th rounder. Or maybe a swap of picks like we did with Denver. But in reverse. We give them our 7th rounder or the Denver 7th rounder and get back their 5th round pick. No way we're getting anything more than that. 

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Only thing that gives this any legs is that it seems Todd Bowles absolutely can't stand G Smith. 

What makes you say that? 

No, seriously. Bowles is an old school coach and he won;t give players credit unless its due. I'm not surprised at all that he favors Fitz over Geno. Geno has done nothing to show Bowles should have any faith in him. But I don't think he absolutely can't stand him. Why? If that was the case, Geno would not be a Jet right now. Jets Brass don't hate him either, again otherwise he would not be a Jet right now.  

7 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Kellen Moore, Romos backup, broke his ankle in practice. Jets should trade Geno now and get the 1st rounder some of you believe he is worth.  Lol. 

I think they get Foles, experienced and can game manage a decent Cowboy team if Romo goes down. Geno value is probably 5th rounder, and conditional if he starts xx games etc

The thing is who is the Qb the org has the most confidence in in terms of talent. You would have to say of the 4 of them it's Hack. So maybe they should start integrating him into the system this season. It shouldn't be that he is that much behind on the learning curve that he couldn't play and be ok if he was called on. I mean Geno wasn't handled with kid gloves and he started two seasons in a row. As for compensation probably the total value by people in the NFL of all 4 of our Qbs combined doesn't add up to a 1st round pick. Even the Jets don't think that highly of them. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The thing is who is the Qb the org has the most confidence in in terms of talent. You would have to say of the 4 of them it's Hack. So maybe they should start integrating him into the system this season. It shouldn't be that he is that much behind on the learning curve that he couldn't play and be ok if he was called on. I mean Geno wasn't handled with kid gloves and he started two seasons in a row. As for compensation probably the total value by people in the NFL of all 4 of our Qbs combined doesn't add up to a 1st round pick. Even the Jets don't think that highly of them. 

I know Jets are saying they may keep 4, but GM Mac doesnt seem the type to do that. I think Geno or Petty is cut/traded based on camp and preseason games (I think Jets will try and get them into game vs opposing teams #1s and #2s).. Fitz probably sees less than 30 snaps whole preseason. Now.........they could cut one guy and hope he clears waivers and put the 4th QB on Practice squad (where they are always vulnerable to pickup by another team)

1 minute ago, SouthernJet said:

I know Jets are saying they may keep 4, but GM Mac doesnt seem the type to do that. I think Geno or Petty is cut/traded based on camp and preseason games.. Fitz probably sees less than 30 snaps whole preseason. Now.........they could cut one guy and hope he clears waivers and put the 4th QB on Practice squad (where they are always vulnerable to pickup by another team)

I mean you'd think they will keep Geno as backup. And probably as has been discussed a lot either IR or PS Petty. And just not activate Hack for any games unless later in the season and the Jets are out of it. That seems to be the course they're on unless they decide to take an offer for Geno (if they get one) and get a pick. That way they can keep Petty on the active roster. And not expose him to waivers. But they just might prefer taking that chance and using the roster spot for someone else. I mean Mac has not promised to keep Geno for the season. He kind of said he'd see how things go esp with the two younger Qbs. But if they think Hack is a better Qb than Geno right now it would make him expendable. 

28 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I mean you'd think they will keep Geno as backup. And probably as has been discussed a lot either IR or PS Petty. And just not activate Hack for any games unless later in the season and the Jets are out of it. That seems to be the course they're on unless they decide to take an offer for Geno (if they get one) and get a pick. That way they can keep Petty on the active roster. And not expose him to waivers. But they just might prefer taking that chance and using the roster spot for someone else. I mean Mac has not promised to keep Geno for the season. He kind of said he'd see how things go esp with the two younger Qbs. But if they think Hack is a better Qb than Geno right now it would make him expendable. 

ya I can see a phony injury that lets jets put a guy away for a year like Pats do all the time

11 minutes ago, faba said:

If the Jets try to put Petty on the practice squad you might as well say good bye to him- some team will take him

Well he was a 4th round draft pick. But not sure if other teams would then want to cut their own prospect for one of ours and keep them on their active squad. Weren't his numbers last year in pre-season pretty low. It might be worth taking that chance unless he shows progress esp in games. 

16 minutes ago, faba said:

If the Jets try to put Petty on the practice squad you might as well say good bye to him- some team will take him

Who?

Who values Petty higher than they do their own drafted and/or developmental #2 or #3 QB?

I think you overvalue our guy because he's ours.  Petty has shown very little to-date, and while I retain hope for him, he's not exactly Tom Brady languishing one someones P.S.

We'll see what Petty has in pre-season.  If he's that valuable, the team will simply carry 4 QB's, unusual or not.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Then your just not watching close enough.

No all the watching won't change a thing.  We hear what we want to hear.  he's done nothing but praise Geno since the end of the season and even talked about how well he handled things during the season

Geno would be one of several backup QBs Dallas could be interested in but none of the GMs would let them go cheap. Now the question is what value would Dallas place on those QBs. No player is untradeable if the price is right i.e. H. Walker.

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

There is nothing gained in trading Geno now.  We are a win-now team, and protecting that with an acceptable #2 QB is important.  Geno may not be acceptable as a #1, but he is fine as a #2.

And sarcasm aside, no one is trading us for Geno.  The Cowboys will almost assuredly look to Foles.

Of course, had the injury occured earlier, they might have looked to Fitz too.  

question is what will Foles want ? Cowboys cap is not in the best of shape is it ? I would also think Foles would want to go to a team with a shaky starter so he would have a chance to step in. Foles can be a very good QB and hes proven that with a 27 TD 2 Int season not sure WTF the Rams were doing with him but I think he got a crappy deal on a crappy offense.

Only thing that gives this any legs is that it seems Todd Bowles absolutely can't stand G Smith. 

So when you were having diner with the coach he revealed this to you ? Don't let your hate go to your fingers with facts that are nothing but malarkey.

9 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Kellen Moore, Romos backup, broke his ankle in practice. Jets should trade Geno now and get the 1st rounder some of you believe he is worth.  Lol. 

Lol whats worse is the hate for a Jets player who has done NOTHING WRONG to fans or teammates and this sh*t continues.........

1 hour ago, faba said:

At that time the Jets could activate him to the roster and send someone else to the PS or outright cut them. 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I actually agree here.  Let Geno play out his cheap contract and provide a buffer between Fitz and Hackenberg/Petty.  Carrying 4 QB's isn't the end of the world.

Right.

If nothing else Geno should at least have the playbook down pat should the team need him.

So this is the scenario I see,

We trade Geno to somebody for a low round pick,Fitz gets knocked out for the season in the second game.

They bring in Petty who is in way over his head for two games and he get destroyed in his third start, scrambling around. Hack is forced into service and plays the rest of the season and is basically ruin as a starter because, as many before him, he was thrown to the wolves before he was ready.

Meanwhile, Geno moved onto his new team, is forced into service, and has a decent year.

He then goes on to win the starters job in the teams training camp the following year.

He grows into a franchise quarterback, who over his career, goes on to beat the Jets many times over.

An we all get to read for years to come, how maybe we didn't give him enough of a chance by all the folks here who despise him.

Any fan who thinks we should cut Geno this year and go with Petty or Hack, are out of there ever love minds.

With the defenses we will face this year and the way Fitz plays with reckless abandon, at some point we are going to need a solid backup with starting experience.

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

No need to call out other posters for believing in a Jets player. Nobody here thinks he is worth a 1st rounder, and the Jets won't trade their backup. Makes no sense.

Really? This was directed at everyone/no one.  Cmon man lighten up.

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lol whats worse is the hate for a Jets player who has done NOTHING WRONG to fans or teammates and this sh*t continues.........

He stiffed a teammate $600'bucks, gave the fans the bird, and can't tell time on the west coast. Oh and he sucks

Archived