Training camp thread 08/06/16

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Larz said:

the beat writers were actually expecting another fight ?

we have the worst beat writers in any sport

To their credit they are still expecting some Rex Ryan like circus to break out.  They dream about it every night.  Thank God we have Bowles at the helm.

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

At this point, I'm not sure why we have a 'never-has-been' taking up an RB spot that can be better utilized with an unknown rookie. I don't see how BP can challenge Khiry for the #3 spot n even Khiry isn't any special RB. 

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

To their credit they are still expecting some Rex Ryan like circus to break out.  They dream about it every night.  Thank God we have Bowles at the helm.

Ryan made their jobs so easy, if something came up he would continually answer
questions about the situation.  Therefore it would linger and the organization
would get the circus label.  With Bowles it gets squashed after one day and it's
over

37 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I gotta say I am feeling pretty good about our QB situation so far. I know its early but even Geno Friggin Smith looked good as hard as that is to believe! I hope Petty wins the back-up job and Smith is finally gone.

Lol one good day doesn't erase the last 5 terrible practices. Geno has been consistent this off season so he should clearly be our back up.

51 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I gotta say I am feeling pretty good about our QB situation so far. I know its early but even Geno Friggin Smith looked good as hard as that is to believe! I hope Petty wins the back-up job and Smith is finally gone.

Not gonna happen Geno hater.

9 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I don't remember hearing anything good about Hack at all. All I've been told is how great he was in a pro style offense but here, he's been nothing less than atrocious. He's not even competent, which is concerning. I don't care if he's a rookie, but throwing passes that are "not even close" to a receiver every time is borderline retarded n my hopes of him becoming the face of the franchise are diminishing rather quickly. 

8 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Hack is terrible. Petty is terrible with an occasional good throw. Geno has been money with the occasional bad throw. Fits has been ok, especially since he gets to pass to BM against no-name CBs. 

9 hours ago, j4jets said:

At this point, I'm not sure why we have a 'never-has-been' taking up an RB spot that can be better utilized with an unknown rookie. I don't see how BP can challenge Khiry for the #3 spot n even Khiry isn't any special RB. 

Sign Ray Rice

10 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Petty seems to've come on a little bit after a rough start to camp. Seems to be very good or very bad with him with little in between, but the very good moments have been increasing. I'd expect him to be the team's leading passer in the preseason - by virtue of easily seeing the most playing time. So he'll have his opportunities. Still, an uphill battle for him to beat out Geno. You'll know there's actually a competition there if Geno is still getting a lot of work in the fourth preseason game. But I wouldn't anticipate it. 

If Petty continues to improve, it makes the decision making at the QB position that much harder, which is probably a good problem to have. 

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

I don't remember hearing anything good about Hack at all. All I've been told is how great he was in a pro style offense but here, he's been nothing less than atrocious. He's not even competent, which is concerning. I don't care if he's a rookie, but throwing passes that are "not even close" to a receiver every time is borderline retarded n my hopes of him becoming the face of the franchise are diminishing rather quickly. 

I try to be optimistic with the Hack pick, especially when we passed on Lynch I read a training camp report like this about Lynch compared to Hack

4. GOOD DECISION-MAKING FROM LYNCH.

All three quarterbacks led scoring drives in either seven-on-seven or team periods Thursday. But it was Paxton Lynch, still young in his development, who had the most to gain after a difficult Wednesday. This was a chance for the rookie to show resilience and the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Lynch has already shown that he has touch and accuracy on the deep ball. But what jumped out from watching him work Thursday was his willingness to make prudent decisions, take what is there, and not try to be the hero when the moment doesn't call for it.

On one play-action bootleg to the right he looked downfield, but then found Andy Janovichbreaking open short and in front of him. Lynch quickly reacted and led Janovich perfectly for a 5-yard gain that set up a third-and-1 at the defense's 34-yard line.

Lynch also continues to anticipate his receivers' breaks. During his move-the-ball period at the end of practice, he quickly set up and fired a strike to DeVier Posey, with the ball coming out just as Posey cut and went into his slant. The defense had no chance to react to the pass.

His overall work on that drive was impressive. Although a pair of goal-to-goal passes to the back of the end zone fell incomplete, he drove the offense 68 yards while working under center the entire time -- and might have had a touchdown run in game conditions when he took off under pressure from the defense's 6-yard line.

Another key moment for Lynch came in the two-minute drill period. Lynch drove the offense into field-goal range, but the march might not have happened without his 7-yard scramble on the first play of the possesion.

Lynch read pressure from NT Kyle Peko up the middle and decisively scrambled outside. He picked up seven yards and got out of bounds to stop the clock. It was the decision of a seasoned veteran, and three plays later, he had the offense at the defense's 30-yard line, well within field-goal range.

If Lynch continues making these types of decisions -- and does so consistently -- his professional future is bright. As has been written before, a successful training camp is not determined by whether he is a starter in Week 1, but whether he has shown palpable growth. He's done that so far.

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

I try to be optimistic with the Hack pick but it's hard  especially when we passed on Lynch and I read a training camp report like this about Lynch compared to Hack

All three quarterbacks led scoring drives in either seven-on-seven or team periods Thursday. But it was Paxton Lynch, still young in his development, who had the most to gain after a difficult Wednesday. This was a chance for the rookie to show resilience and the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Lynch has already shown that he has touch and accuracy on the deep ball. But what jumped out from watching him work Thursday was his willingness to make prudent decisions, take what is there, and not try to be the hero when the moment doesn't call for it.

On one play-action bootleg to the right he looked downfield, but then found Andy Janovichbreaking open short and in front of him. Lynch quickly reacted and led Janovich perfectly for a 5-yard gain that set up a third-and-1 at the defense's 34-yard line.

Lynch also continues to anticipate his receivers' breaks. During his move-the-ball period at the end of practice, he quickly set up and fired a strike to DeVier Posey, with the ball coming out just as Posey cut and went into his slant. The defense had no chance to react to the pass.

His overall work on that drive was impressive. Although a pair of goal-to-goal passes to the back of the end zone fell incomplete, he drove the offense 68 yards while working under center the entire time -- and might have had a touchdown run in game conditions when he took off under pressure from the defense's 6-yard line.

Another key moment for Lynch came in the two-minute drill period. Lynch drove the offense into field-goal range, but the march might not have happened without his 7-yard scramble on the first play of the possesion.

Lynch read pressure from NT Kyle Peko up the middle and decisively scrambled outside. He picked up seven yards and got out of bounds to stop the clock. It was the decision of a seasoned veteran, and three plays later, he had the offense at the defense's 30-yard line, well within field-goal range.

If Lynch continues making these types of decisions -- and does so consistently -- his professional future is bright. As has been written before, a successful training camp is not determined by whether he is a starter in Week 1, but whether he has shown palpable growth. He's done that so far.

I know it early and it dosent mean anything but it is not encouraging that Hack can hit wide open receivers and is missing them by a large margin. Maybe I'm just bitter because I wanted us to pick Lynch. I don't know if Lynch will start this year but his progress is encouraging.

The Broncos' beat writers are unabashed homers compared to the Jets'. 

Lynch is no where near being an NFL QB and probably never will be. (Not saying he won't be but the odds are not good for any QB prospects) He certainly is no better, at this point than Hackenberg, and not as ready as Petty.

Let's wait till we see a couple preseason games before we start the self flagellation. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The Broncos' beat writers are unabashed homers compared to the Jets'. 

Lynch is no where near being an NFL QB and probably never will be. (Not saying he won't be but the odds are not good for any QB prospects) He certainly is no better, at this point than Hackenberg, and not as ready as Petty.

Let's wait till we see a couple preseason games before we start the self flagellation. 

So far, Hack has been extremely disappointing. I understand he's a rookie, but any high draft pick with potential generally will flash their potential every now and then. Hack hasn't managed to do anything positive. What's more concerning is the CS offering up 2-5 reps for him a day. It almost seems like the CS do not wanna see him out there. As dumb as most people think Geno is, he won 8 his rookie year. I don't see Hack winning more than a couple where the D holds good for <10 points. 

I wanna be optimistic. I need to see a sign. If we had Lynch, I'd be optimistic with his camp reports. He's showing enough for the CS to have some faith in him. Even Petty has started to put in a few good passes a practice. 

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I try to be optimistic with the Hack pick, especially when we passed on Lynch I read a training camp report like this about Lynch compared to Hack

I think looking back at this draft the Jets will look foolish not taking Lynch, and Cravens instead of Lee, and Hackenberg.  But this is what you get when you have a HC who wants veterans only on offense.

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I think looking back at this draft the Jets will look foolish not taking Lynch, and Cravens instead of Lee, and Hackenberg.  But this is what you get when you have a HC who wants veterans only on offense.

Hack was the one QB I was hoping we didn't take, I wanted Lynch, but time will tell. Hopefully I am wrong.

16 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Hack was the one QB I was hoping we didn't take, I wanted Lynch, but time will tell. Hopefully I am wrong.

Some times the smartest thing is to do the obvious. On this occasion I think we out smarted ourselves "again". The first two picks don't look so good to me at this point, especially Hack.

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

NY beat writers would have eaten him for lunch because of his hair, lol

lets see what he does vs real bullets

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Some times the smartest thing is to do the obvious. On this occasion I think we out smarted ourselves "again". The first two picks don't so good to me at this point, especially Hack.

I know it would be great to see Hack and Lee showing immediate progress and showing a quick and easy transition. But not looking good at this point doesn't mean very much, IMO.

So yes, here is my main excuse for Hack. He's the type of QB that plays best when on the field, having full control of the offense, reading the defense and adjusting. He hasn't gotten nearly enough snaps to be able to settle in and do that. I think you will see him play much better in pre-season once he gets some considerable garbage time vs. an actual defense. It probably won't be pretty, but I think you'll see him lead some nice drives and make some plays. Right now, he's very up and down b/c he's not playing football. He's coming in for a few snaps and throwing in practice. JMHO.

Lee on the other hand may not look great but has shown that he can bounce back and work hard to earn playing time. He was embarrassed by Morris at the goalline and came back the next day with a great practice. So far, I'm not too worried about Lee.

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I know it would be great to see Hack and Lee showing immediate progress and showing a quick and easy transition. But not looking good at this point doesn't mean very much, IMO.

So yes, here is my main excuse for Hack. He's the type of QB that plays best when on the field, having full control of the offense, reading the defense and adjusting. He hasn't gotten nearly enough snaps to be able to settle in and do that. I think you will see him play much better in pre-season once he gets some considerable garbage time vs. an actual defense. It probably won't be pretty, but I think you'll see him lead some nice drives and make some plays. Right now, he's very up and down b/c he's not playing football. He's coming in for a few snaps and throwing in practice. JMHO.

Lee on the other hand may not look great but has shown that he can bounce back and work hard to earn playing time. He was embarrassed by Morris at the goalline and came back the next day with a great practice. So far, I'm not too worried about Lee.

The thing that worries me is his confidence, I hope he doesn't have David Carr syndrome from the years of beatings he took after the change in systems. The one quote the sticks with me is that  Hack as more worried and focused on the rush than how the play was developing. It's not his fault,  but hopefully he gets over that and has the mental fortitude to do so. 

It's the first week of August, we haven't even played our first preseason game yet, and people are literally slitting their wrists because our rookie QB has thrown one pick in camp (meaningless), ~4 or 5 TDs (also meaningless), and has barely had any reps to boot so there hasn't been all that much to report about.  There actually a person here suggesting that the Jets don't want to see him because of how he's looked lmfao.

"OH BUT HE MISSED AMARO IN ONE OF HIS 3 THROWS IN PRACTICE YESTERDAY AND LYNCH SET UP A FIELD GOAL DRIVE!"

BETTER TIGHTEN THOSE NOOSES BOYS. 

Seriously, what is wrong with some of you?  Its actually sad to listen to some of the stuff thats posted here. By the way, the last report I heard from most Denver Beat is that Lynch isn't honestly even CLOSE to being ready and will likely be riding the pine this whole year like our little Christian.  I'm sure if Hack got in a team drill he could lead a silly little FG drive. Not that it would even honestly matter to half of you anyway considering that he threw a 44 yard TD the other day in team drills and none of you blinked an eye.  God FORBID someone here spreads a little positivity.

Selecting Lee over Lynch had nothing to do with the selection of Hack.  It had everything to do with the fact that they didn't believe Lynch has the makeup to be THE guy.  I don't blame them to be honest.  You clean up Hackenberg's mechanic issues (which, as a former QB, aren't that bad) and you have a damn good shot at getting a really good QB, because the mental side is there.   Also, considering the Eagles, 49ers, Rams, and Browns all could have taken Lynch before us and yet they didn't, something tells me that the Jets weren't the only ones who felt that way.  Hell, the Rams and Eagles didn't want to be left picking him so badly they traded their entire futures away for the other two.

The Broncos and Elway, fresh off a Super Bowl can take that risk on Lynch and have little to no consequences if it doesn't work out.  Maccagnan doesn't have that luxury.  It should also be noted that Elway convincing Manning to sign with the Broncos and attracting FA's by selling them to play specifically with a team run by Peyton doesn't make him a QB guru.  I get the guy put together a successful team, but it wasn't exactly difficult to put together a super team when you can sell them on playing with Peyton Manning.

Lol ... All of you who are talking up Lynch with that Thursday report ... The report itself says

"Lynch had the most to gain after a difficult Wednesday. This was a chance for the rookie to show resilience and the ability to learn from his mistakes."

So he played like $h*t the day before ... How about showing us those reports too ... Lololol

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It's the first week of August, we haven't even played our first preseason game yet, and people are literally slitting their wrists because our rookie QB has thrown one pick in camp (meaningless), ~4 or 5 TDs (also meaningless), and has barely had any reps to boot so there hasn't been all that much to report about.  There actually a person here suggesting that the Jets don't want to see him because of how he's looked lmfao.

"OH BUT HE MISSED AMARO IN ONE OF HIS 3 THROWS IN PRACTICE YESTERDAY AND LYNCH SET UP A FIELD GOAL DRIVE!"

BETTER TIGHTEN THOSE NOOSES BOYS. 

Seriously, what is wrong with some of you?  Its actually sad to listen to some of the stuff thats posted here. By the way, the last report I heard from most Denver Beat is that Lynch isn't honestly even CLOSE to being ready and will likely be riding the pine this whole year like our little Christian.  I'm sure if Hack got in a team drill he could lead a silly little FG drive. Not that it would even honestly matter to half of you anyway considering that he threw a 44 yard TD the other day in team drills and none of you blinked an eye.  God FORBID someone here spreads a little positivity.

Selecting Lee over Lynch had nothing to do with the selection of Hack.  It had everything to do with the fact that they didn't believe Lynch has the makeup to be THE guy.  I don't blame them to be honest.  You clean up Hackenberg's mechanic issues (which, as a former QB, aren't that bad) and you have a damn good shot at getting a really good QB, because the mental side is there.   Also, considering the Eagles, 49ers, Rams, and Browns all could have taken Lynch before us and yet they didn't, something tells me that the Jets weren't the only ones who felt that way.  Hell, the Rams and Eagles didn't want to be left picking him so badly they traded their entire futures away for the other two.

The Broncos and Elway, fresh off a Super Bowl can take that risk on Lynch and have little to no consequences if it doesn't work out.  Maccagnan doesn't have that luxury.  It should also be noted that Elway convincing Manning to sign with the Broncos and attracting FA's by selling them to play specifically with a team run by Peyton doesn't make him a QB guru.  I get the guy put together a successful team, but it wasn't exactly difficult to put together a super team when you can sell them on playing with Peyton Manning.

Spot on!

amazing how posters can completely judge a player from some media reports.  How about we get to see a player like, play in a game before we dismis anyone. 

I went to practice at cortland Geno 1st year.  Thought he looked good, but that was against air.   Look what happened against live bullets. 

Archived