Training camp thread 08/06/16

JETSfaninNE

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Spot on!

amazing how posters can completely judge a player from some media reports.  How about we get to see a player like, play in a game before we dismis anyone. 

I went to practice at cortland Geno 1st year.  Thought he looked good, but that was against air.   Look what happened against live bullets. 

Nailed it but I'll take it one step further.  Hack needs to recoup.  He needs the year to clean up his bad habits.  From what I can see in linited exposure, they're mostly lower and mid body (hips, legs, feet) though so he, barring being completely fried from Penn State, should be able to fix that with repetition.  Maybe needs compact his release a little more, but most guys do that over time anyway.  Look at Geno's throwing motion his rookie year and compare it to now and you can see a remarkable difference.  Again, with reps those things can usually be ironed out.  I think the encouraging thing I've observed is that Hack isn't really "naturally inaccurate".  It's more of a consistency issue.  One pass is drilled in, beautiful spiral, on a dime.  The next?  Can sail on him. Again, He needs to prop himself back up and get back to keeping his fundamentals consistent.  If he can do that, and with his brain and work ethic I believe he can, we will be very happy with the results.  That all being said, I'm still not going to lose my sh*t if he doesn't set the world on fire on Thursday (if he even plays).  

Patience people. Haven't we rushed enough QB's?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Nine days into training camp, after not taking part in any of the team's offseason program, New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said the rust is off.

"I feel pretty good right now," Fitzpatrick said after the Jets practiced in front of their fans at their training facility Saturday. "I think we've made some good progress so far, and we're headed in the right direction. We've just got to continue to work and get better every day -- it's definitely been a productive nine days."

Fitzpatrick had a good day on Saturday, unofficially completing 15 of 20 passes with one touchdown and no interceptions. And while Jets coach Todd Bowles was conservative in his evaluation of the quarterback -- "He's catching up," Bowles said -- Fitzpatrick said he was surprised at how good his arm has felt so far.

That raised the question of whether Fitzpatrick's contract hassle with the Jets -- which caused him to miss the entire offseason program before he agreed to a one-year, $12 million deal (with a potential $3 million in incentives) just before training camp -- was a good thing for the 33-year-old, 12-year veteran.

"I tend not to throw a bunch in the offseason as it is, but obviously, being off for the OTAs and stuff, too, I threw less this offseason than I probably have since before high school," he said.

So the question was posed to him: Maybe you should hold out again and sit out next spring also, Ryan?

His only answer was a big grin.

Notes from Saturday's practice:

• The Jets announced wide receiver Titus Davis, a second-year pro out of Central Michigan, left the team. Bowles said Davis left because, "He thought he didn't want to play anymore."

• Receiver Brandon Marshall left the field briefly, took off his helmet and shoulder pads and kneeled over a couple times, for a few moments, then had a trainer place a cold, wet towel on the back of his neck. Shortly after that, Marshall put his pads and jersey back on and eventually went back into the practice, though he did not get targeted the rest of the way. Bowles was asked if Marshall was OK and dismissed the question. "He just came out. He's fine," Bowles said.

• Cornerback Juston Burris, wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins, linebacker Trevor Reilly and tight end Wes Saxton did not practice, but Bowles said all were dealing with "camp injuries," were just sore and would be back next week. Burris, who left practice Friday, had a thigh bruise, Bowles said.

• Rookie kicker Ross Martin hit a line-drive field goal from 48 yards despite a bad snap and a fumbled hold. Holder Lachlan Edwardsmanaged to get his hands on the ball and get it down on the ground, but he couldn't tee the ball up. So Martin hit the ball while it was essentially lying on its side, yet he still got enough lift and distance to get it through the uprights. "The snap was bad, the hold was bad, but he made the kick," Bowles said.

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The Broncos and Elway, fresh off a Super Bowl can take that risk on Lynch and have little to no consequences if it doesn't work out.  Maccagnan doesn't have that luxury.  It should also be noted that Elway convincing Manning to sign with the Broncos and attracting FA's by selling them to play specifically with a team run by Peyton doesn't make him a QB guru.  I get the guy put together a successful team, but it wasn't exactly difficult to put together a super team when you can sell them on playing with Peyton Manning.

This part of your post makes no sense to me. ' Elway and the broncos can take a chance but the Jets can't' and thus the jets draft as big of if not more of a question mark than Lynch.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This part of your post makes no sense to me. ' Elway and the broncos can take a chance but the Jets can't' and thus the jets draft as big of if not more of a question mark than Lynch.

What I meant was that there's a big difference between taking a HUGE question mark like Lynch in the first round, and taking a chance on someone at the end of the second that you believe can fixed and molded into "the guy".  Nowadays, using a second rounder on a guy is not nearly as significant as taking him in the first.  Jimmy Clausen being drafted and then replaced by Cam the very next year is the best example I can think of in recent years.  If Hackenberg shows nothing and we pick high next year, no one would bat an eye if we drafted a first round QB next year.  Elway and Denver, on the other hand, are fresh off a Super Bowl and really could do no wrong in the eyes of their fans right now.  Everyone knew they needed a QB to replace Manning and Osweiler so they grabbed one, even if he was a HUUUUUGE risk because they're jobs are firmly locked in.  There's no way the Jets would have been given the same optimistic outlook had they selected Paxton.  Maccagnan has, in my opinion, done a phenomenal job so far.  However, selecting a first round QB would have started a proverbial "clock" for him.  I don't believe that Paxton Lynch is a guy you put your neck out for when it could get you canned because your team has been so starved for so long.  

Sooooo long story short:

1st round: super duper risky for Jets, not so much for defending SB Champs. 

2nd round: Not as risky as it used to be for GM's and, especially in the case of Hack who was the ultimate wildcard because of the unique circumstances surrounding him and his talent level, could be the ultimate "low risk/high reward scenario. 

I probably could have worded and delved deeper into what I meant better in the first post. My bad lol.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Literally??

Man, with some of the stuff I've read here these past few weeks, some people sound like they've let this affect them a little too seriously.  Hopefully not that far.  I probably could have nestled a bit there lol.

didn't want to start a thread on this , but this is how you know you just can't live with naming sanchez starter

Mark Sanchez, Trevor Siemian named co-starters in Denver

Denver Broncos quarterback Mark Sanchez, back, confers with quarterback Trevor Siemian as they take part in drills during the team's NFL football training camp Friday, July 29, 2016 in Englewood, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)AP

Just as The Office was beginning to show its age and lose its edge, a storyline emerged with Michael Scott and Jim Halpert serving as co-managers of the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin. The same thing could be happening for the Denver Broncos, in more ways than one.

At quarterback, Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian have been named co-starters on the team’s first depth chart of the year, via multiple reports.

The Dwight Schrute in the equation apparently is Paxton Lynch, who is at best the assistant to the co-starting quarterbacks, at least for now.

It remains to be seen how the preseason reps will be divided between Sanchez and Siemian. Presumably, they’ll get roughly equal reps with the No. 1 offense until the third preseason game. By then, coach Gary Kubiak should be closer to naming the first guy who inevitably will be benched at some point during the regular season.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

didn't want to start a thread on this , but this is how you know you just can't live with naming sanchez starter

Mark Sanchez, Trevor Siemian named co-starters in Denver

Denver Broncos quarterback Mark Sanchez, back, confers with quarterback Trevor Siemian as they take part in drills during the team's NFL football training camp Friday, July 29, 2016 in Englewood, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)AP

Just as The Office was beginning to show its age and lose its edge, a storyline emerged with Michael Scott and Jim Halpert serving as co-managers of the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin. The same thing could be happening for the Denver Broncos, in more ways than one.

At quarterback, Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian have been named co-starters on the team’s first depth chart of the year, via multiple reports.

The Dwight Schrute in the equation apparently is Paxton Lynch, who is at best the assistant to the co-starting quarterbacks, at least for now.

It remains to be seen how the preseason reps will be divided between Sanchez and Siemian. Presumably, they’ll get roughly equal reps with the No. 1 offense until the third preseason game. By then, coach Gary Kubiak should be closer to naming the first guy who inevitably will be benched at some point during the regular season.

this has nothing to do w/ the Jets training camp.  Denver didn't name anything, they needed to put out a depth chart and did it like this.  it's really not a big deal, Mark will be starting and den will have better QBs than us.

On 8/7/2016 at 4:59 AM, j4jets said:

Hack is terrible. Petty is terrible with an occasional good throw. Geno has been money with the occasional bad throw. Fits has been ok, especially since he gets to pass to BM against no-name CBs. 

Geno Friggin Smith has not been Money, has never been Money and never will be Money. He is the walking personification of what is wrong with some of today's players. He has a ton of talent, a cannon of an arm, and not one damned bit of a football IQ. Nor does he show any inkling of developing one.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

Geno Friggin Smith has not been Money, has never been Money and never will be Money. He is the walking personification of what is wrong with some of today's players. He has a ton of talent, a cannon of an arm, and not one damned bit of a football IQ. Nor does he show any inkling of developing one.

Could not have picked a worst day to post this.

Speaking of time, is it that time of the month for you?

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Could not have picked a worst day to post this.

Speaking of time, is it that time of the month for you?

Why? He had a good day? So he looked good against a bunch of guys who will be looking for work in a month. Take off the Geno blinders pal and brush up on your comebacks they are as lame as Geno's game.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Why? He had a good day? So he looked good against a bunch of guys who will be looking for work in a month. Take off the Geno blinders pal and brush up on your comebacks they are as lame as Geno's game.

Cuz Fitz has been great throwing to Marshall against a rookie CB, while Geno can barely throw 6TDs throwing to FHoF WRs? 

Midol?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, j4jets said:

Ah, the perfect response when you don't have one. 

You whine like a woman. Whats the matter? Cramps? Maybe you need to put as much energy into your so-called life as you do into these message boards. I bet you would be a lot happier and a lot less easier to provoke. Too bad your such a wanker. Now say something witty as you stroke yourself for being so smart. Putz.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

You whine like a woman. Whats the matter? Cramps? Maybe you need to put as much energy into your so-called life as you do into these message boards. I bet you would be a lot happier and a lot less easier to provoke. Too bad your such a wanker. Now say something witty as you stroke yourself for being so smart. Putz.

*you're, as in you're putz. And Im sorry my dog pissed in your Cheerios. 

Cheerios.jpg

Archived